• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

Kimosabae

Banned
Nope you got that all wrong.

Open world didn't become a thing until after GTA3. After Shenmue released no one gave a shit about open world and continued to make the standard linear type games. When GTA 3 was a break out success, that's when the open world games started to emerge. That's also when people started to figure out that you could sell games without having solid core game play mechanics and design (as you mentioned).

You are wrong on QTEs as well. Shenmue might have been the first to do it (well the first known game to do it) but QTEs never took off until RE4/GoW were released. After those games is when QTEs became really rampant in games. If Shenmue had such a huge influence to gaming then we would've seen QTEs long before those two games.

This is basically like shitting on Kill Switch for introducing cover based mechanics in shooters. Your hatred is misplaced. I am telling you as a person who doesn't really like Shenmue to begin with.

I shouldn't have said "kickstarted" I meant "represents" everything I don't like about modern gaming. I thought the ideas were terrible then and I find them terrible now. I merely tolerate those things in degrees.

kitzkozan

Cammy looks thick, ill play her. Birdie on the other hand, wack

Birdie does look fun, I think I kinda like fat Birdie better than the old one already. Love the range on his chain grab and his headbutt charge attack might actually be good once he goes into V-trigger mode. I think he also throw crap on the floor once he's powered up so we'll see tomorrow what can come out of it. He's simply more interesting than Zangief in SFIV as the token grappler archetype of SFV imo.

Coda

I may not absolutely love Shenmue but it definitely blew me away when I first played it and I welcome in the third game. Maybe it's my love for most things Sega though. I mean it's already over a million dollars so saying it has a tiny devoted fan base at this point is unrealistic. Looks like this will hit 2 million in another couple of days.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Guys, why aren't Shenmue I and II being re-released?!

pRqppI7.jpg

Bruh I fixed it for you lol

I still have to wait a couple of years to get a decent job with a decent salary, meanwhile I'll wait for steam sales like the loser I am ;_;

Same here, I'm hoping for that 90K+ salary from Google when I graduate.
Reality is harsh ;_;

Shenmue 3 already at 1 mill. Goddamn

The fans went in. Kimo found a new group of people to hate.

games that got me interested:

1)battlefront
2) horizon

games I was already going to get

1) shenmue
2) TLG
3) FF anything just because
4) persona 5
5) mirror edge
6) MGS

I wished SC6 got announced. Outside MGS and P5 there aren't too many games that are coming out soon that I am hype for.

O I wished they announced the new localization of phoenix wright. And trailer for Danganronpa 3 and Zero Escape 3.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hate Sega for being the only company to actually have balls to come up with something different despite what how bad the world receives it. There isn't any other company like them and probably won't be ever thanks to the nature of gaming today.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What's there to explain? Look at history. Like I'm really going spend time typing up DB sized paragraphs just for you to not care anyway. If you don't respect Sega of old as a company I'm not going to change your mind from what I would say.

Azure J

Hate Sega for being the only company to actually have balls to come up with something different despite what how bad the world receives it. There isn't any other company like them and probably won't be ever thanks to the nature of gaming today.

Losing Sega as a console manufacturer is still one of those things that I feel should never have happened. They were far too ahead of their era.

vocab

Like what?

I mean they were unique, but so were a lot of other companies. Dumbing down gaming for a mass audience made the true hardcore and ambitious ideas die out.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What's there to explain? Look at history. Like I'm really going spend time typing up DB sized paragraphs just for you to not care anyway. If you don't respect Sega of old as a company I'm not going to change your mind from what I would say.

Let me be the judge of that and read your response, I would appreciate if you didn't assume I just wanted you to type some a jeebie sized paragraph of fandom. The whole reason why I asked is cause I cared about Sega. Never owned a genesis or a dreamcast but seeing them in person certainly influenced my childhood heavily.

Sega is really ambitious and innovative but ultimately blows up in their face and then the 2nd person to do it makes bank.

Thanks for explaining. I remember a few innovative things they did, kinda sucks Sony put the gun to their consoles.

vocab

The only bad thing about ff7 is a harsh reminder of SE being total shit and not making the games they were once known for. Thank god SMT exists.

Nope you got that all wrong.

Open world didn't become a thing until after GTA3. After Shenmue released no one gave a shit about open world and continued to make the standard linear type games. When GTA 3 was a break out success, that's when the open world games started to emerge. That's also when people started to figure out that you could sell games without having solid core game play mechanics and design (as you mentioned).

You are wrong on QTEs as well. Shenmue might have been the first to do it (well the first known game to do it) but QTEs never took off until RE4/GoW were released. After those games is when QTEs became really rampant in games. If Shenmue had such a huge influence to gaming then we would've seen QTEs long before those two games.

This is basically like shitting on Kill Switch for introducing cover based mechanics in shooters. Your hatred is misplaced. I am telling you as a person who doesn't really like Shenmue to begin with.

You mean Winback. :p Which came out WAY before Kill.Switch.

Kumubou

I love how this thread goes from "only gameplay matters" to talking about Cammy's ass for several pages.
At least anime players are honest enough to admit that the mechanics aren't the only thing that matters.

The only bad thing about ff7 is a harsh reminder of SE being total shit and not making the games they were once known for. Thank god SMT exists.

Kalamari

It's kinda funny that Shenmue 3 needs crowdfunding. I wonder how long it will take for Capcom to come up with the idea of doing a Mega Man crowdfunding campaign?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I can tell you there won't be as much talk about Urien's ass when he's revealed.

Yo, I can appreciate some good underwear brah

O_O

Busaiku, my savior

It's kinda funny that Shenmue 3 needs crowdfunding. I wonder how long it will take for Capcom to come up with the idea of doing a Mega Man crowdfunding campaign?

Its to gauge the interest of the crowd. 2 million is not even close to whats needed for this game lol. Its a start to see if enough people will pay for it so they can see the fans wanting it and go fullspeed after that.

Kimosabae

Banned
Cammy's face looks great. I know it makes little sense, but she looks more brit than before.

Booty is still flapjack city, tho

Losing Sega as a console manufacturer is still one of those things that I feel should never have happened. They were far too ahead of their era.

I totally agree and I love my Dreamcast VMU till this day, but they've committed the grave sins of releasing not one but two Shenmue games on two separate occasions.

They deserved to be punished and thus were punish-'ed.

Dahbomb

Anyone else not curious as to how Cammy lost her trademark camouflage leg markings? I felt like that was one of the main things that popped out to me in her character design.

Cammy's face looks great. I know it makes little sense, but she looks more brit than before.
I totally get this. Her eyes are smaller now, less "anime".

Top Bottom