• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

Dahbomb

Fuck no I hate Bob too.

Sammo Hung is a real person and isn't designed to be fat. And Birdie is most certainly not a Hung tribute. So he's just fat for the sake of being fat.

NEO0MJ

I hope they don't add more SF II reps. Four is more than enough.

One getting announced was already improbable. All three happening in the same conference was a Scarlet Witch, House of M level of reality warping.

It's like the Avengers of games fans want that will never be released.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah but it's v gauge and she got a short one too. That's a pretty huge reward imo but whatever we'll see. Maybe it will be easy to bait or something.

free in comparison of what the other characters get from what we have seen so far. Other characters just get the pushback. Cammy gets that but reverses positions.

So technically I still see it as being free. The bar was to just get people off of you.

She blew half a bar of a resource with as of yet unknown potential of utility. We don't know how good her V trigger is and if it would be in the player's best interest to use half a bar like that. I mean you can see it as being free but that doesn't make it free. It's way too early for this kind of talk.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hope the SE conference expands on it at least. I told myself I wouldn't get CE consoles or anything anymore but I would do it for FFVII.

Seen a bunch of SFV actual in game footage but the players were obviously casuals so the game play was pretty subpar.

She blew half a bar of a resource with as of yet unknown potential of utility. We don't know how good her V trigger is and if it would be in the player's best interest to use half a bar like that. I mean you can see it as being free but that doesn't make it free. It's way too early for this kind of talk.

Well I'm just bringing up a point. That it has to be costly for being that good conceptually.

If we're not suppose to comment on what we see and/or know then whats the point of talking about SF5? Its a valid concern.

But then again I guess we could just talk about Cammy's Ass all day long. It seems like the thing to do. That or birdie being fat.

Gotta agree with Dahbomb, Horizon just blew me away. Game of the show easy. Hopefully it comes out tomorrow.

Cammy looks super quick now. Charlie still the best though.

NEO0MJ

Horizon does look good, but I'm worried. This is Guerrilla we're talking about. All their past games felt like graphical showcases, nothing more. Plus what we saw felt real scripted. I don't want to fall into the hype circle over what we saw.

Onemic

Horizon does look good, but I'm worried. This is Guerrilla we're talking about. All their past games felt like graphical showcases, nothing more. Plus what we saw felt real scripted. I don't want to fall into the hype circle over what we saw.

Killzone 2 was pretty great tbh

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Well I'm just bringing up a point. That it has to be costly for being that good conceptually.

If we're not suppose to comment on what we see and/or know then whats the point of talking about SF5? Its a valid concern.

But then again I guess we could just talk about Cammy's Ass all day long. It seems like the thing to do. That or birdie being fat.

No I agree it's a valid sentiment. There's just not enough information to really be able to contextualize the few things we've seen so far. After tomorrow thought I'm sure there will be plenty to discuss. I'll tell you what my concern is and I think it's been glazed over in all the hype. Ryu can parry everything. Everything. That is a potential huge red flag. For a myriad of reasons.

Tripon

If Birdie being fat and ugly means that Rufus doesn't come back then bring back the ugly. Rufus suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked as a character.

Anth0ny

people seem excited for that horizon game

isn't it made by the killzone team

the killzone team has never made a good game

Also, stop being silly. Everyone from SF4 will be back. Eventually.

as paid DLC

...what does the trailer have to do with the quality of the actual game

It means you should take staged pre-rendered E3 "gameplay" trailers with a massive grain of salt. Not just for graphics downgrades, but they usually set up situations that aren't really reflective of actual play. The last couple of Ubisoft games are prime examples.

Onemic

It means you should take staged pre-rendered E3 "gameplay" trailers with a massive grain of salt. Not just for graphics downgrades, but they usually set up situations that aren't really reflective of actual play. The last couple of Ubisoft games are prime examples.

Of course, but arent you talking about the Killzone 2 trailer released all those years back?

If you're talking about the Horizon trailer, Im not interested in it because of the graphics. It's because the premise and world seem pretty interesting. I'm pretty sure that's why most are interested in it as well. I never take anything literal from trailers unless it's direct gameplay footage.

Tomorrow we gonna figure out who the cheapest char in sfv is atm cuz tokido gonna pick em.

You know it's gonna be Birdie

Dahbomb

I'm being serious, though. In a game filled with giant cyborgs, undead fighters, sentient training dummies, and literal ogres, a fat guy is what makes you blush? Get real. Your stance is entirely stupid.
It doesn't make me blush, I just think it's stupid. Just like I think QTEs are stupid or Lucky Chloe.

Sayah

You're literally hating on a character because he's fat and not for some other reason like his design, his moveset/playstyle, etc.

I guess you also hate a lot of sumo wrestlers and think they're stupid.

zlatko

Banned
I'm pleasantly surprised with both Birdie and Cammy after the reveal. Pre-reveal--fuck 'em both.

After the reveal I'll deal, and I do like how they designed Birdie a LOT. Quite unique character, and a good ton of changes from Alpha for him.

Cammy visually got some boosts, her moves look "slicker", but two issues:

1) She's doing duck face now in photo's I've seen...

2) She still should have been DLC imo. She would sell fine, and I'd rather get more "Birdie" like in the initial roster. Karin or R.Mika would've been a much better choice, but oh well.

I'm excited for this beta to try out the characters.

Is this all we'll get in the beta you think? We have rest of June plus July. EVO will take place and CEO right? We could potentially get 1-3 new characters before beta ?

Fuck...gimme Alex, Urien, Karin, or someone completely new before beta capcom!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The Rock is obese. So are hundreds of football players who can run for miles without breaking a sweat. Same goes for certain MMA fighters.

Dahbomb

You're literally hating on a character because he's fat and not for some other reason like his design, his moveset/playstyle, etc.

I guess you also hate a lot of sumo wrestlers and think they're stupid.
Sumo wrestlers actually have some level of musculature on them and look like they can actually fight. Like E.Honda is acceptable levels of obesity if you want to make a fat character. Beyond that you are just being "lol look at this fat guy it's so funny that he's so fat lol". There's extremes to designing characters and Rufus/Birdie are the extremes of the fat character to a fault.

Bob is the least "bad" of the three. Rufus and Birdie are morbidly obese with a massive beer gut that look like a patient with severe ascites and on top of that look idiotic visually (as in even if they weren't obese they would look awful). Rufus has a shitty playstyle as well. Haven't played Birdie to know what he plays like to comment on that front, I can only comment on the design and it's terrible.

Sayah

Sumo wrestlers actually have some level of musculature on them and look like they can actually fight. Like E.Honda is acceptable levels of obesity if you want to make a fat character. Beyond that you are just being "lol look at this fat guy it's so funny that he's so fat lol". There's extremes to designing characters and Rufus/Birdie are the extremes of the fat character to a fault.

Bob is the least "bad" of the three. Rufus and Birdie are morbidly obese with a massive beer gut that looks like a patient with severe ascites and on top of that look idiotic visually (as in even if they weren't obese they would look awful). Rufus has a shitty playstyle as well. Haven't played Birdie to know what he plays like to comment on that front, I can only comment on the design and it's terrible.

If I had a character like the image below, I would be excited to use him and not think, "oh, he's gone over the acceptable fat limit."
Konishiki-006.jpg

I want more fat characters but with respectable designs and personalities. Bob sucks because his design is garbage and his playstyle is literally annoying. Not because he's fat. They made a slim version of him in TTT2 and he still sucked.

Dahbomb

God damn why you gotta post that pic man! Put a warning before posting it!

My Triglycerides are shooting up just looking at that image.

Birdie is somehow less disgusting than Rufus.
Well yea he doesn't have the exposed pubic hair.

Top Bottom