• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

Waluigi would be a more apt comparison.

This actually is a very apt comparison.

Both Waluigi and Rufus have super wacky body movements. I guess Wario does too, given his Smash moveset, but Waluigi is a lot more crazy in his movement. Rufus has the best qualities of both Wario and Waluigi!

That makes me appreciate him more.

I actually wish E.honda was bigger, taller and fatter, more imposing.

I think Taka Arashi from VF is the best example of a big, fat, imposing monster in fighting games. There's no nonsense to him. He's gonna smack his belly and then manhandle you across the stage.

Unless you count Earthquake from SamSho, who probably takes the cake for fattest fighting game character. Pun intended, by the way.

mbpm1

Yeah, only legit crazy people actually like Waluigi.

Waluigi did nothing wrong!

Also, all of y'all talking about Cammy's ass when I'm just sitting here like

Did you see her new face

So much better now. She looks like an actual person

Never knew I wanted this tbh Kreygasm

Woke up this morning and was so shocked by the Birdie design that I spilled my coffee on the table. Then I learned there will be no beta for SF5 on PC this summer and I'm salty.

Csr

I wonder what we will be able to do in the beta.
I am thinking of buying a ps4 because it gets the beta earlier. I suspect a lot of people are going to buy a ps4 so that they don't fall behind the competition.

NEO0MJ

I wonder what we will be able to do in the beta.
I am thinking of buying a ps4 because it gets the beta earlier. I suspect a lot of people are going to buy a ps4 so that they don't fall behind the competition.

Beta will probably be times, and I'm sure a lot of things will change between it and the full release. Doubt much of advantage will e gained in two weeks.

Csr

Beta will probably be times, and I'm sure a lot of things will change between it and the full release. Doubt much of advantage will e gained in two weeks.

Two weeks? Was there a date anouncement for the pc beta? If it is only two weeks i agree with you.

How much things will change is unknown but i doubt it is going to change so much that having the game earlier is not going to give an advantage over someone who hasn't touched the game at all.

Csr

Doesn't look like there'll be a PC beta. And the two weeks thing is just my expectation.

I am pretty sure i heard capcom say multiple times that there is going to be a beta for pc, a quick search gave me this link from ign that says there will be a beta for pc at a later date http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e3-2015-first-street-fighter-5-beta-details

The "two weeks" was about the full game release then? So you think that playing a beta for a game for more than 6 months doesn't give you any advantage over someone who hasn't played the game?
That doesn't make sense no matter what the changes are.

NEO0MJ

The "two weeks" was about the full game release then? So you think that playing a beta for a game for more than 6 months doesn't give you any advantage over someone who hasn't played the game?
That doesn't make sense no matter what the changes are.

I meant that's how long the beta will last. They're often timed and after the beta period expires the game can't be played, even if you have it downloaded.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Funding Shenmue 3 would be the largest waste of corporate money of all time. No one wants it outside a very vocal minority. Best let the people with bad taste in video games fund it rather than anyone else.

I'm glad it's finally getting made so I can backstroke in the flood of tears from fans disappointed with how terrible it will be.

Whores and self-proclaimed "fans" will look up and shout: "I just wanted a conclusion to the story!" and I'll whisper "Dumbass."

quoted for entirely correct

Csr

I meant that's how long the beta will last. They're often timed and after the beta period expires the game can't be played, even if you have it downloaded.

Ah i see, i didn't think that the beta would last so little. The few betas on pc i have followed lasted a lot longer.
Have there been any betas for other fighting games on consoles or pc? maybe that will be some indication

Horseress

orNC6Cy.png

FAKE EDIT: dp, sorry

t1434481200z4.png

It seems like with V they did exactly what...I think it was Kirblar, wanted. They added a input buffer for links and took out plinking.

Thank goodness. That fact and the apparent high overall damage makes my interest in SFV very high.

I just need to see another grappler aside from Birdie. Not sure if I'm digging him enough to want to main.

alstein

wait, cammy's v reversal swaps sides? so....a free out of the corner while putting your opponent in the corner move?

I hope not lol

Those have a history of existing in A2 as well- Rose and Bison had them. I don't think it will be too bad, especially if you can bait it, like jab, wait, throw (assuming it has a little bit of recovery), or if it's close jab, EX Hurricane Kick perhaps?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If Oro doesn't make it in I might just main cammy. I used her in SF4 before moving on to Seth :) I just never liked how strict the tiger knee canon drill was.

Mr. X

There's a google doc floating around with Ultra David's notes from twitter
Link https://t.co/oXbv4EU8Vu

3 things I'm curious about
Ryu's Parry being too good Edit: Looks like Ryu can only cancel successful parry into parry, has to wait for it recover to do anything else.
Cammy's alpha counter being a cross up hit
If hitstun reelback is tied to the exaggerated animations like in SF4 or if they're universal so that can be avoided. Whiffing things because they reeled back too far sucked.

DRE Fei

They showed like 2 nanoseconds of Birdie footage in that Sony presentation. Today we should see a lot more. Cammy is still doing Cammy things as expected. Legacy characters are a double-edged sword.

Has the business model for this game been fully revealed yet? Am I missing something?

kirblar

They should definitely keep this pattern for SF6+ - do a slower game like SF4, follow it up with a faster one like SF5, then rotate back to a slower paced one.

Busaiku

Does anyone think Street Fighter V will do worse than Street Fighter IV?
Both Super Smash Bros and Mortal Kombat X are stronger entries than their predecessors. Guilty Gear Xrd may be worse, but without knowing Western sales of the franchise, it's hard to say.

Village

I was going make a thread about sexuality for you vs sexual for a character themselves. And while I have no real issue with poison,vega, anna,venom,zato and various other characters and like them.And i do not like Cammy and a lot the skullgirls cast outfits because i feel their outfits are more for me rather than being fitting for their characters.

But it seems more trouble than its worth.Based on the reaction in the cammy thread,i might just not be the primary demographic for a lot of female characters in fighting games. Its gotten the point to where as i question should i even like the a character when i see them in a fighting game.

And i do not mind sexual characters i and like them if they arent chumps like vega. But for characters who seemingly would be more modest i dont need to be pandered to. The internet exists.

But this coming from a dude who cares about story and lore and character motivation even in genres where he is often told "they dont matter". I have been way more interested in the lore implications of every characters inclusion even more so how they play. But based on all the boobie butt talk over cammy that might not matter for a lot of folk

Maybe this one of those "you are going to have to make that game yourself" type deals

Mr. X

That's what I wanted too and it was present in Omega mode as well.

Although how are they going to take out plinking?

Plinking AKA P-Linking AKA Priority Linking was a thing with how the engine recognized inputs and what came out when buttons were hit at the same time almost at the same time.

Fixing it should be by the engine recognizing a button wasn't released when you hit something else 1F after. It was likely a symptom of how they did input leniency in SF4 for EX moves and Ultras.

SF4 was the only game with something like HP~MP giving HP for 2 consecutive frames AFAIK. So yeah, it existing was just some weird chance.

Dahbomb

Plinking AKA P-Linking AKA Priority Linking was a thing with how the engine recognized inputs and what came out when buttons were hit at the same time almost at the same time.

Fixing it should be by the engine recognizing a button wasn't released when you hit something else 1F after. It was likely a symptom of how they did input leniency in SF4 for EX moves and Ultras.
Yea I know what it is, I am just wondering if Capcom is willing to remove the leniency in order to also remove plinking.

BadWolf

Does anyone think Street Fighter V will do worse than Street Fighter IV?
Both Super Smash Bros and Mortal Kombat X are stronger entries than their predecessors. Guilty Gear Xrd may be worse, but without knowing Western sales of the franchise, it's hard to say.

Don't think so, especially since it has first party backing now.

And Ono seems to have big plans for the competitive scene going by the $500K he was able to secure for SF4 at CapCup.

Kalamari

So with the 2 frame buffer, does that mean that any 1 frame links can be double-tapped for 3 frames of leniency? Or does it not work that way?

Mr. X

Yea I know what it is, I am just wondering if Capcom is willing to remove the leniency in order to also remove plinking.

SF4 is the only fighting game with something like HP~MP 1f apart giving HP for 2 consecutive frames AFAIK. That to me looks like it was totally unintentional reaction of a combination of coding. Leniency and plinking are totally unrelated even if leniency might be one part to why it exist in SF4.

Plinking is gone according the doc UltraDavid shared.

Mr. X

So with the 2 frame buffer, does that mean that any 1 frame links can be double-tapped for 3 frames of leniency? Or does it not work that way?

Need more info on how the buffer works. Like is it because I'm still holding the button that makes it 2f.

Top Bottom