• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

Does anyone think Street Fighter V will do worse than Street Fighter IV?
Both Super Smash Bros and Mortal Kombat X are stronger entries than their predecessors. Guilty Gear Xrd may be worse, but without knowing Western sales of the franchise, it's hard to say.

It can be a stronger entry and still do worse. It's a console exclusive.

Also, is Smash Wii U really a stronger entry? Viability in tournaments put aside.

Mr. X

Doubtful about Smash 4 doing better than Brawl. Wii U hasn't sold that many systems.

Or is it 3DS + Wii U Smash 4? Even then, I'd be surprised if it outsold Brawl.

Westlo

I just realized that Capcom only had 2 female characters for Vanilla's arcade release.

Yeah just Chun and Viper... So SFV should have a lot more... since Chun and Cammy are confirmed and Laura is one of the new characters for SFV according to Ken Bogard's hints.

So at least 3.... than you have one of the most requested characters being Karin, Juri being really popular and the obvious SFIV rep and Sak is Sak... though I see her being in an update...

Does anyone think Street Fighter V will do worse than Street Fighter IV?
Both Super Smash Bros and Mortal Kombat X are stronger entries than their predecessors. Guilty Gear Xrd may be worse, but without knowing Western sales of the franchise, it's hard to say.
Depends on the story mode and other casual offerings.

No, seriously.

Dahbomb

Ultradavid said that you can cross up in the corner in SFV.

And SFV doesn't have to sell more than SF4 to be more successful as it follows a different model.

I feel bad for people who can't get excited for some of their favorite franchises.

This is me on everything, more or less.

What used to be true for Metal Gear games is now true for pretty much all games at E3, watching the trailer is way more interesting than playing the finished game.

Most big games nowadays are from a single "monogenre" - action game with RPG elements and QTEs that wants to be a movie.

Funding Shenmue 3 would be the largest waste of corporate money of all time. No one wants it outside a very vocal minority. Best let the people with bad taste in video games fund it rather than anyone else.

I'm glad it's finally getting made so I can backstroke in the flood of tears from fans disappointed with how terrible it will be.

Whores and self-proclaimed "fans" will look up and shout: "I just wanted a conclusion to the story!" and I'll whisper "Dumbass."

<3

I really, really, REALLY hate the Shenmue series. It essentially kickstarted most of what I hate about modern gaming.

Thisthisthisthis.

You're literally hating on a character because he's fat and not for some other reason like his design, his moveset/playstyle, etc.

I guess you also hate a lot of sumo wrestlers and think they're stupid.

The same thing, these are, yes.

Dahbomb

I'm on the Coffeeling/Kimo hate train. Ya'll get too hyped about dumb shit. Be skeptical sometimes.
There's a big difference between being skeptical about everything and not liking anything (ie. Derrick) vs being skeptical when actually called for it.

You know I am skeptical about a lot of stuff but I can get hyped too (and still enjoy a lot of games). Quite a few users on GAF are basically a new tier of Derrick where whenever they post it's like you know something negative is going to come out of their post.

People should look at their posts sometimes and see how many negative posts they have on here (ie. hating on something, complaining about something) vs something positive.

Zissou

There's a big difference between being skeptical about everything and not liking anything (ie. Derrick) vs being skeptical when actually called for it.

You know I am skeptical about a lot of stuff but I can get hyped too (and still enjoy a lot of games). Quite a few users on GAF are basically a new tier of Derrick where whenever they post it's like you know something negative is going to come out of their post.

People should look at their posts sometimes and see how many negative posts they have on here (ie. hating on something, complaining about something) vs something positive.

Don't give Beef an aneurysm.

Being overly/naively positive OR negative is dumb.

Advertising a kickstarter as if it were a real game announcement at a press conference is grimey ass shit that should be called out.

Lowballing an unrealistic budget (Shenmue 1 cost 70 million) just so your kickstarter can barrel past the goal at a record rate is misleading and should be called out.

Basically telling fans "show us how much you want this game or we won't fund it" is exploitative as hell, and only gets called out when it's Capcom asking for DMC sales.

People going crazy over this shit is troubling, even if they like Shenmue. At this rate filipino champ will be raffling off a new wipeout game on stage for Sony's E3 2017

Mr. X

The Kickstarter page has no info on where the rest of the budget is coming from and how much of the $2 mil is relative to the entire budget.

It's shady to me as well, they're not being 100% about this.

BadWolf

The Kickstarter page has no info on where the rest of the budget is coming from and how much of the $2 mil is relative to the entire budget.

It's shady to me as well, they're not being 100% about this.

You could say the same thing about Bloodstained.

They too had a backer that would back them if the kickstarter showed interest.

I'm too busy being happy about getting a successor to Castlevania and a true sequel to Shenmue 3 to waste time on hating.

I don't give two shits about Banjo Kazooie but was still happy for people who do and Yooka-Laylee. Don't see the point in being negative about such things.

fader

Who wouldn't?

chappelle-shrug-o.gif

Didn't play SF4 for long but SF5 looks pretty interesting.

Except for Birdie. Seems like the kind of character I would try once just to see what his moves do then never touch again. All the others looks like potential main material but that can always change after some hands on experience.

ElTopo

Banned
I'd be okay with Sakura being in it if she played radically different. Capcom needs to take a page from SNK in how to design unique Shoto's because I'm tired of seeing the same boring move set and zoning play style.

Same applies to Ken and Akuma. I frankly don't want to see them back but if they can radically change how they play (I.E. Violent Ken) then that would be acceptable.

What are the odds Rose returns?

For returning characters, I feel if they appeared in both SFxT and SF4, they have a good chance. ie Dudley and Ibuki have a better chance than Makoto. Cammy *had* a better chance than Deejay, Thawk and Fei Long. Abel and Juri have better chances than El Fuerte and Hakan.

But if you look at the current roster, it's following an alpha trend and Rose is an alpha character...and she's a character that is tied to the storyline

medium chance. About as good as Sagat, I think.

Top Bottom