• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

mbpm1

I'm surprised too. I thought people would realize he was a biker gang dude from first glance in any game. Maybe not this one tho cos he's past his prime lol

so far in SFV we got:

two SF1 characters: Ryu, Birdie
three SF2 characters: Bison, Chun Li, Cammy
one Alpha character: Nash

we need some SF3 love now. also, Birdie is probably going to be my main right now, loving how he plays. I wish that he was still a charge character though.

kitzkozan

Love that JChen and UltraDavid are going in so hard on SFIV. It's like people are finally being honest about they feel.

Game looks good, but kind of simple compared to IV. It feels like Bison is my main so far. I like that you turtle/poke with him until V bar is built, then you go ham.

Too bad Skilletor won't buy it since 360 inputs and 1-frame links are gone. Kappa.

Weirded out by Twitch chat complaining that Cammy's boobs are too big.

Why are you surprised honestly? They have said in the past that they didn't want Ono to touch the design of another fighting game since SFIV came really close to being a very bad game in their eyes. I agree with them and don't think Ono shouldn't have the final say over the mechanics or systems of a FG. He can have all the passion for FG in the world, but he doesn't have the talent necessary to design good FG. Just remember when he spewed his bullshit about Yun characters being overpowered in AE to help build community and competitive spirit. XD

Malice215

No one wanted him, but I like the choice, even if I'm not 100% on his redesign. A few characters out of left field is always fun to see and surprising.

Mechanically he'll be fun for people, and it's smart to add him in now where people are forced to try him out because of the small roster. I just feel that his design really isn't out of left field as the overweight brawler has been done so many times in gaming already. They could have just went with Rufus if they needed to scratch that itch, and going overboard on the gluttony doesn't make him more interesting of a character.

I still need to see how the rest of the roster pans out before I get upset about his inclusion. I know people will be tight if Karin or other fan favorites aren't on the roster while adding Rozay to the game.

kirblar

I don't get Karin. I love T&A, but she has neither. Boring moveset. Uninteresting backstory. What gives?
Girl, hasn't been seen in forever. (Heavy female representation at the top of their character polling: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:D20TJ90PNIgJ:www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/mar/29/results-capcoms-street-fighter-favorite-characters-popularity-poll/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us )

SF3/4 almost certainly have reps incoming - and if they go all the way with trying to get every series represented, we'd need a Final Fight rep as well. (Haggar pls)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
sass2.png

*looks at SFV*

I'm sure Ono can do something about that.

sass1.png

Why are you surprised honestly? They have said in the past that they didn't want Ono to touch the design of another fighting game since SFIV came really close to being a very bad game in their eyes. I agree with them and don't think Ono shouldn't have the final say over the mechanics or systems of a FG. He can have all the passion for FG in the world, but he doesn't have the talent necessary to design good FG. Just remember when he spewed his bullshit about Yun characters being overpowered in AE to help build community and competitive spirit. XD
Because every time I tried to argue SFIV wasn't a good game, everyone got angry at me. :-(

Girl, hasn't been seen in forever. (Heavy female representation at the top of their character polling: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:D20TJ90PNIgJ:www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/mar/29/results-capcoms-street-fighter-favorite-characters-popularity-poll/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us )

SF3/4 almost certainly have reps incoming - and if they go all the way with trying to get every series represented, we'd need a Final Fight rep as well. (Haggar pls)
Thanks!

Looking at the top 20:
Ryu 18,740 5.90%
Ken 15,058 4.70%
Akuma 14,201 4.40%
Chun-Li 11,922 3.70%
Cammy 11,670 3.60%
Sakura 9,517 3.00%
Karin 9,148 2.90%
Juri 8,715 2.70%
Sagat 8,367 2.60%
Q 7,589 2.40%
Guile 7,533 2.40%
R. Mika 7,235 2.30%
Ibuki 7,182 2.20%
M. Bison (Dictator) 6,783 2.10%
Cody 6,661 2.10%
Zangief 6,523 2.00%
Poison 6,457 2.00%
Dudley 6,426 2.00%
Vega (Claw) 6,403 2.00%
Blanka 6,213 1.90%
Ken and Akuma probably won't be in. They'll come as DLC later that is guaranteed to sell.

Sagat and Juri will probably come later as DLC.

I wouldn't be surprised to get Ibuki. They need some kind of "ninja" archetype.

*looks at SFV*

I'm sure Ono can do something about that.
True that.

It's the laugh.
School girl uniform and the haughty rich girl arch type is fun.
People like her design / archetype. This was before Lilli btw.
Ah, bitchy rich girl fetish. I got it now.

kirblar

I'd love an El Fuerte reveal for SFV because a) I play him b) we get more Pepeday! and c) the salt would be absolutely incredible. Alex/Juri are the only 2 I'm pretty confident are in (Abel almost certainly out if Alex is in) - but wouldn't want to even guess at the remaining 4 initial non-boss returnees.

mbpm1

I'd love an El Fuerte reveal for SFV because a) I play him b) we get more Pepeday! and c) the salt would be absolutely incredible. Alex/Juri are the only 2 I'm pretty confident are in (Abel almost certainly out if Alex is in) - but wouldn't want to even guess at the remaining 4 initial non-boss returnees.

What if he's announced but he's actually a shoto now

Kappa

kitzkozan

Because every time I tried to argue SFIV wasn't a good game, everyone got angry at me. :-(

Lol, I wasn't talking about SFIV being a good game or not, but you defending Ono when I bashed him a couple of months ago lol. :p

Love the guy passion for SF and FG in general, but let's admit that he shouldn't be a game director. If SFV end up being as good as it's shaping up to be, I won't praise him and I'm sure it's not because of his watchful eyes. I'm convinced that Combofiend has a better grasp of what make a quality FG than Ono (top players such as Mike Z have proven that they can design solid FG).

Perro

Karin has rekkas that can go high or low, counters, a command grab, overheads and anti-air supers... fuck outta here with the boring moveset comment.

Birdie is going to be that character that isn't actually good on release, but everyone hates playing against.

Edit: Holy crap, just caught the Chun-li CSS jiggle. That puts DoA to shame.

Can you imagine liking a character you're not sexually attracted to? it's a video game man
I'm trying to understand what Karin has going for her. Here are the characters I play in various fighting games (casually or serious); you tell me which ones you think I am sexually attracted to:

USFIV: Blanka (sometimes Oni before I lose too much and go back to Blanka, haha)
Skullgirls: Painwheel (and Parasoul/Double, but just for assists for Painwheel)
Smash: Mewtwo (sub Bowser)
Marvel: Firebrand/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath
Tekken: Devil Jin
BlazBlue: Tager
GG Xrd: Zato-1
Soul Calibur: Astaroth (sub Nightmare)

Do you see a set of jackoff fantasies in there, man? Haha.

Lol, I wasn't talking about SFIV being a good game or not, but you defending Ono when I bashed him a couple of months ago lol. :p

Love the guy passion for SF and FG in general, but let's admit that he shouldn't be a game director. If SFV end up being as good as it's shaping up to be, I won't praise him and I'm sure it's not because of his watchful eyes. I'm convinced that Combofiend has a better grasp of what make a quality FG than Ono (top players such as Mike Z have proven that they can design solid FG).
Ah, I still maintain that position I held previously. :)

Karin has rekkas that can go high or low, counters, a command grab, overheads and anti-air supers... fuck outta here with the boring moveset comment.
Rekkas, counters, a command grab, AND an overhead? Man, that sounds so exciting and unique. Not at all derivative and generic.

If we're gonna play Street Fighter Waifu Wars based on who had the best playstyle then I'm entering into this with Ingrid.

dem combos

Girl gave me such a Kula Daimond meets Athena SNK vibe.
Now Ingrid...I can get behind her.

It's because you like Marvel 3. The worst game
V3OHQVQ.png
Then I moved to Smash, and people look down on that even more...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm trying to understand what Karin has going for her. Here are the characters I play in various fighting games (casually or serious); you tell me which ones you think I am sexually attracted to:

USFIV: Blanka (sometimes Oni before I lose too much and go back to Blanka, haha)
Skullgirls: Painwheel (and Parasoul/Double, but just for assists for Painwheel)
Smash: Mewtwo (sub Bowser)
Marvel: Firebrand/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath
Tekken: Devil Jin
BlazBlue: Tager
GG Xrd: Zato-1
Soul Calibur: Astaroth (sub Nightmare)

Do you see a set of jackoff fantasies in there, man? Haha.
Sounds like you have some pretty demonic/satanist fetishes.

If she came back it'd explode on the tier list. She had tools for EVERYTHING. AA, Pokes, space control projectiles, juggles, crossups, cammy shit...just everything.
I just think Street Fighter really needs a magical girl archetype representative so it can keep up with BlazBlue and Tekken in the world of fighting games.

Sounds like you have some pretty demonic/satanist fetishes.
Mewtwo Satanic confirmed.

In all seriousness, I like playing creature types, but I usually don't like "mindless" creatures (like Arakune) or idiots (like Blanka). Demons just happen to be the only "intelligent monster" archetype most developers seem to utilize.

For example, I would seriously consider maining this guy if he got into Xrd Revelation:

Companies just don't have a lot of interesting monster designs in fighting games for some reason. Especially if you don't want to play a cute/mascot type.

You might not remember this, but I desperately wanted Rathalos and Issun in Marvel 3. I also mained Sentinel in MvC2. I just like stuff that isn't human in general. Demons just tend to be what developers give me that aren't stupid/cute monsters like Blanka.

I used to main Sabrewulf during KI2, and I would probably main Glacius right now (maybe Sabrewulf) if I played the game.

I rather have Ingrid than r mika
I also don't get R. Mika. She is poor character design taste personified.

In all seriousness, I like playing creature types, but I usually don't like "mindless" creatures (like Arakune) or idiots (like Blanka). Demons just happen to be the only "intelligent monster" archetype most developers seem to utilize.

Companies just don't have a lot of interesting monster designs in fighting games for some reason.

We need Kombat Pack 2 with Boss Mode Shinnok!

Top Bottom