• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Kumubou

Interesting. Hopefully she can easily change her moveset when selecting her or something instead of outside the character select screen.

I'd rather not do that over and over again.
That's why you buy the figure for her, you can customize the move set once and save it onto the figure!

mbpm1

BpuVCH-CUAAxthK.jpg:large

Does anyone else think that Nintendo named the little figured "amiibo" because they didn't want people saying "awiibo"?

Fuck, I missed it. When did they show it?
They basically didn't. You missed nothing. The guy interviewing them may have gone without playing a fighting game in his entire life.

I'm not sure if I'm at the level to carry a figure of a waifu around.
A waifigure, even.

It's a design paradigm issue. When you're allowing this stuff in local play, it affects where you want to set the baseline at. SFxT definitely had this issue, and its why customization (beyond controlled options like Marvel or MKX) is a dangerous thing, because it encourages you to push those baselines down a notch so that people are encouraged to use these things to power themselves up in their games at home. Not trying to be Chicken Little, I just hope they're able to avoid that trap.

It looks like the equipment has Loot Whore syndrome where even identically named equipment can have different stats on them, so it's probably not viable for competitive play.

Mike, get Guilty Gear Xrd on UltraChen.
Yesterday was a great showing for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

Would love to, but I'm just a text drone. I don't have much to do with marketing. That, and I have no idea how I'd go about it. If you could give me his/her/their info, I can pass it on to the powers that be. We really want to get the word out that GG is pretty awesome.

Busaiku

Would love to, but I'm just a text drone. I don't have much to do with marketing. That, and I have no idea how I'd go about it. If you could give me his/her/their info, I can pass it on to the powers that be. We really want to get the word out that GG is pretty awesome.

DAVID READ THIS
JAMES READ THIS
DO ITTTTTTT

Their Twitters are @ultrachentv, @ultradavid, or @jchensor.
They're also on GAF, but I can't remember their names here offhand.

Astarte

Devil's Third existing in return for no new fighting games and Lily Bergamo being retooled into a totally unrelated game. The pact with the devil wan't worth it, Oatmeal Cookie is a demon.

Laconic

Banned
Does anyone else think that Nintendo named the little figured "amiibo" because they didn't want people saying "awiibo"?

To be fair to Nintendo, it is probably a riff on "ameoba".
but anyone who thinks that name choice didn't calculatedly dodge a bullet, is nuts

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
That Pacman reveal trailer was amazing, hahaha. Can't wait to try him.

I won't spoil it but I hope you know a few other characters got leaked 2 months ago.

Also, how would i form a rally/petition to have the pace of Smash for WiiU be increased?

Miracles have happened before because of the internet, I'm pretty sure a couple more can be squeezed out. Might have to go ahead and put my fanboy cap on, I really don't want Nintendo to fail on this end since they are putting such a huge effort this time around.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I don't give a shit about smash spoilers.

And a petition to increase the game speed sounds pretty stupid IMO.

i was asking how doable it was, not for your snarky remark.

moving that aside, the game doesn't look as fun as melee is. i could have sworn sakurai would have learned from brawl but nope, make the speed closer to brawl and appease a wider audience. it doesnt matter how much you pretty up a piece of turd, still looks like one in the end. sure smash will be fun for everyone, but the competitive scene will surely stick with melee on the gamecube for another 8 years sadly.

Why do you guys care so much about the game speed? Looks fine.

marvel wouldnt be marvel if it wasn't for its speed, look what happened for sfxt. some games compensate for lack of speed (SF) with other designs within the game (such as restrictive movement, far reaching projectiles with a wide variety of ways to avoid them and not having health bars sky rocketing out of the roof). melee already does that with items/trophies would fills the gap quite nicely but since people want to determine their strength by skill and not luck, items are gone. take items away and pretty much a key design of the game is gone and sakurai looks like he just reskinned brawl.

i just want smash wii u sprites with melee speed. it was melee in the first place that made the series to the legend to what it is today for crying out loud, why fix something that ain't broke?

The 3DS version is so close to release that, even if a petition were to have any sort of impact, it'd probably be too late to do without introducing a disparity between the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Thank you for your sound reasoning. I agree, its too late but hell I wanna fight a bloody dog's fight.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's not the speed I'm really concerned about in Smash, but some of the other things/options.

I just hope I like the feel of it.

Speed is not the only factor. Marvel 3 is slower than Marvel 2 by most estimations, but Marvel 2 is in Darkstalkers land now. Smash Brawl messed up a lot of things. If Smash 4 does everything but the speed right, I think there's a strong chance that it will replace Melee.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Speed is not the only factor. Marvel 3 is slower than Marvel 2 by most estimations, but Marvel 2 is in Darkstalkers land now. Smash Brawl messed up a lot of things. If Smash 4 does everything but the speed right, I think there's a strong chance that it will replace Melee.

By God, I hope you're right Kars.

Now that I see your point of view, it seems I should reserve my judgements for now since I haven't touched the game and stop bashing on it.

I plan to when I visit Nintendo World this week and see for myself...
I hope its good.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'll be driving to a BestBuy tomorrow to try out the game. It's too bad that I have no idea what I'm doing, so my impressions won't be helpful to anyone here.

i was asking how doable it was, not for your snarky remark.

moving that aside, the game doesn't look as fun as melee is. i could have sworn sakurai would have learned from brawl but nope, make the speed closer to brawl and appease a wider audience. it doesnt matter how much you pretty up a piece of turd, still looks like one in the end. sure smash will be fun for everyone, but the competitive scene will surely stick with melee on the gamecube for another 8 years sadly.

marvel wouldnt be marvel if it wasn't for its speed, look what happened for sfxt. some games compensate for lack of speed (SF) with other designs within the game (such as restrictive movement, far reaching projectiles with a wide variety of ways to avoid them and not having health bars sky rocketing out of the roof). melee already does that with items/trophies would fills the gap quite nicely but since people want to determine their strength by skill and not luck, items are gone. take items away and pretty much a key design of the game is gone and sakurai looks like he just reskinned brawl.

i just want smash wii u sprites with melee speed. it was melee in the first place that made the series to the legend to what it is today for crying out loud, why fix something that ain't broke?

I wasn't aiming any snark at you. And your ending sentence here can also be applied to everyone's reactions to the game speed. I mean shit man, nobody in this thread has even touched the game, unless I missed someone. How do any of you know that the speed is even bad?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I wish I had a good location to visit. I have to drive a full hour to get to a Best Buy with the game. -_-

Damn, the struggle is real.

I wasn't aiming any snark at you. And your ending sentence here can also be applied to everyone's reactions to the game speed. I mean shit man, nobody in this thread has even touched the game, unless I missed someone. How do any of you know that the speed is even bad?

My bad then Beef. With playing the game that long, you can kind of tell the speed of the game. Smash is lightening fast with one wrong move being your doom.

As to why I'm commentating on the speed, I played the game for around 6 years, first 3 were scrub, last 3 were trying to level up my game (dropped it in college for SF/Marvel, picking it back up again), sadly I couldn't go to MLG/Tournaments/Meet ups since parents were sticks in the mud so I couldn't show up. Now I'm old enough to do what I can (with a job and all) and I hope MLG passes by my area again like it did in the past! I have no idea for meet ups for Smash so if anyone can help a brother out, please do!

When I saw GF for the Smash Invitational, it was bland, a lot of missteps were done in the match that would have gotten you killed. Sure it was flashy with the well executed animations for moves but it lacked the oomph (don't know my onomatopoeia).

Damn, the struggle is real.

I played the game for around 6 years, first 3 were scrub, last 3 were trying to level up my game, sadly I couldn't go to MLG/Tournaments/Meet ups since parents were sticks in the mud so I couldn't show up. Now I'm old enough to do what I can (with a job and all) and I hope MLG passes by my area again like it did in the past! I have no idea for meet ups for Smash so if anyone can help a brother out, please do!

My bad then Beef. With playing the game that long, you can kind of tell the speed of the game. Smash is lightening fast with one wrong move being your doom.

When I saw GF for the Smash Invitational, it was bland, a lot of missteps were done in the match that would have gotten you killed. Sure it was flashy with the well executed animations for moves but it lacked the oomph (don't know my onomatopoeia).

They were playing a new game though. I really wouldn't look at the invitational as an example of high level play where most if not all mistakes are punished.

It really looked like no one knew what they were doing since they seemed to be new to the game. I'm assuming they only had a short amount of time if any with the game prior to getting on stage.

Or it could be because it's a brand-new game and nobody really knows how to play aside from the 30 or so minutes that they (probably) had with it.

Top Bottom