• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
They were playing a new game though. I really wouldn't look at the invitational as an example of high level play where most if not all mistakes are punished.

It really looked like no one knew what they were doing since they seemed to be new to the game. I'm assuming they only had a short amount of time if any with the game prior to getting on stage.

Or it could be because it's a brand-new game and nobody really knows how to play aside from the 30 or so minutes that they (probably) had with it.

Lets hope so!

Rhapsody

Banned
Not sure if it was posted, but impressions from the smashers that played it http://meleeiton.me/2014/06/10/invitational-impressions/

Ignore the "tier list" at the bottom obviously. The other stuff is interesting and gives some insight.
Just remember that it's not like they had a lot of time with the game beforehand.

Talking to smashers, there's too much doom and gloom that it's a bit annoying. No one should be expecting Smash 4 to be the next melee. A lot of people are having kneejerk reactions to anything that's just changed which is unfortunate. I'm still looking forward to it though, especially tomorrow.

I really like the increase in landing recovery after air dodging though. Would've been nice to maybe restrict one air dodge without putting you into a helpless state, but this is good enough. People aren't liking the change to ledges (which was known before) along with no SDI.

Anth0ny

Talking to smashers, there's too much doom and gloom that it's a bit annoying. No one should be expecting Smash 4 to be the next melee. A lot of people are having kneejerk reactions to anything that's just changed which is unfortunate. I'm still looking forward to it though, especially tomorrow.

I don't think anyone is expecting that.

But Sakurai did say it would feel somewhere between Brawl and Melee. From the initial impressions, they seem to have removed the few "advanced techniques" Brawl had, let alone Melee.

It's obviously impossible to say anything concrete, since it's like day -200. But judging strictly from the E3 build... eh.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Not sure if it was posted, but impressions from the smashers that played it http://meleeiton.me/2014/06/10/invitational-impressions/

Ignore the "tier list" at the bottom obviously. The other stuff is interesting and gives some insight.
Just remember that it's not like they had a lot of time with the game beforehand.

I really like the increase in landing recovery after air dodging though. Would've been nice to maybe restrict one air dodge without putting you into a helpless state, but this is good enough. People aren't liking the change to ledges (which was known before) along with no SDI.

Thanks for the info! Been meaning to look for this. Lets see what the scientist can cook up in the laboratory with more time.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't think anyone is expecting that.

But Sakurai did say it would feel somewhere between Brawl and Melee. From the initial impressions, they seem to have removed the few "advanced techniques" Brawl had, let alone Melee.
Some people I talk to are :(
Not straight up Melee 2.0, but they're hating that it's Brawl 2.0 (which is obvious in the first place).

In terms of advanced techniques, I'm still disappointed dash dancing isn't going to return.

Not straight up Melee 2.0, but they're hating that it's Brawl 2.0 (which is obvious in the first place).

In terms of advanced techniques, I'm still disappointed dash dancing isn't going to return.

Are you talking about when you dash left to right or right to left repeatedly?

Anth0ny

That's crazy. Melee 2.0 is never going to happen.

All we can hope for at this point is something that feels totally different, in a good way. Like a Smash 64. That game plays nothing like Melee but is fucking amazing. Brawl plays nothing like Melee and is booty butt cheeks.

It would be sad if Smash 4 was Brawl 2.0 not necessarily because Brawl is a bad game, but because until now, all three Smash games have been pretty damn distinct. This game should feel different, not like Brawl but without fucking dash dancing and ledge hogging. That's kinda the vibe I've been getting so far =/

Redrop

i can understand devs removing barriers in execution etc but i never get why they would remove skill ceiling type stuff.

In Sakurai's case, I'd imagine he fears a high skill ceiling because he wants the game to remain accessible even to the less practiced. Hence tripping in Brawl, a means to weaken any player at any point.

At this point, I'm not sure if any subsequent Smash games will reach SSBM's skill ceiling. The era of the gamecube allowed for a much different mentality when it came to game development, something that definitely contributed to SSBM's ethos. Plus, with the Wii U having access to patches now, I can see Smash 4 entering nerf purgatory, where strengths are nerfed before more complex strengths are learned to advance the metagame. But I'll stay optimistic that customization (if it's actually well executed) could still make Smash 4 interesting in the long run.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
That's crazy. Melee 2.0 is never going to happen.

All we can hope for at this point is something that feels totally different, in a good way. Like a Smash 64. That game plays nothing like Melee but is fucking amazing. Brawl plays nothing like Melee and is booty butt cheeks.

It would be sad if Smash 4 was Brawl 2.0 not necessarily because Brawl is a bad game, but because until now, all three Smash games have been pretty damn distinct. This game should feel different, not like Brawl but without fucking dash dancing and ledge hogging. That's kinda the vibe I've been getting so far =/

All three games were distinct. Lets hope Sakurai keeps that trend up and lady luck is on his side.

K.Sabot

Damn I shouldn't have gone to the smash general thread.

My brain can't take it, at least they're too scared to venture here.

Thanks Triforce.

Riposte

It's funny, I just realized (or forgotten) that the "for" in Super Smash Bros For Wii U/3DS make its sound like Super Smash Bros 4 - the fourth SSB, which it is. Maybe the game should be abbreviated as SSBF if not SSB4.

Anyway, impressions have taken my hype back down to Earth. Sakurai loves his dumb changes.

K.Sabot

I've bumped my hype back down to "will enjoy at a friends house" tier.

And by that I mean "lame my friend out until he admits the game is dumb" tier. Just like with Brawl.

If it's possible?

Edit: To be honest, when I watched the invitational, it was hype at the beginning but it dumbed down in the middle. The celebrities one was pretty hype too. I mean whatever the criticisms the game is getting, I'm still going to play it.

Rhapsody

Banned
If it's possible?

Edit: To be honest, when I watched the invitational, it was hype at the beginning but it dumbed down in the middle. The celebrities one was pretty hype too. I mean whatever the criticisms the game is getting, I'm still going to play it.

Beginning was hype since a lot of favorites were still there. Plus items on a high setting was pretty entertaining for the start. Agreed on the rest too. Zelda Williams with that Greninja, haha.

Michael "TYP" Cole: Sakurai points out some chars are better suited for 2 vs 4 player and with or without items. Sakurai considers smash a party game.

Don't tell me y'all are even half surprised at that.

^ this. Smash is a party game and that should be the main focus. That's the reason the game exists in the first place. Just don't hamstring tournament play and pay a bit of attention to a few small things in stage/mechanic design and it'll turn out fine.

Prototype

Fucking smash community man... they want to sit around and have everything be exactly like melee or it's shit. Let them rot. Hands down the worst and most toxic community in the fgc.

CPS2

Fucking smash community man... they want to sit around and have everything be exactly like melee or it's shit. Let them rot. Hands down the worst and most toxic community in the fgc.
Aren't the actual Melee community one of the most non-toxic (lol) groups around? I think I remember reading that on Mike Watson's blog.

Clawww

it's pretty annoying that the smash demo at best buy is so damn limited in time

I'll try to check it out tomorrow but I don't understand the point of it being available for a total of 10 hours across two days. and I'm sure something will go wrong and cut into that time

Riposte

Every fighting game gets criticized, Smash is hardly unique. People criticized the fuck out of Marvel vs Capcom 3, Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue, and so on. And they should be criticized, because discussion and analysis is good for the brain.

When I went to Bestbuy last year to play some Wii U games (3D World in particular), the line was insane. I figure that will be the case this time too, so I'll get to play one match at best if I go saturday.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Nintendo don't give a big fat fuck about Smash being a competitive game, and they really don't need to.

99% of people who buy it will play it as what it's best at being, a fun party game.

casperOne

21 pages between yesterday afternoon and now? I know I missed the smash invitational, but damn.

What's the rundown (I assume mostly from E3, and I saw Dead Rising 3 as well as Nintendo's presentation) FG wise?

Kimosabae

Banned
That post about the Smash community being "toxic" and whatever brain-damaged individuals agree with it has to be some troll or joke I'm not in on.

Accessibility and high ceilings in game design are not mutually exclusive concepts. "Smash isn't a fighting game" and "Smash takes no skill" were memes as early as the nascent Melee years and the series never lost its reputation for being a casual party game franchise, despite its mechanics. It never will.

I feel like typing up a huge post on Smashboards regarding the state of the scene, but I'm not sure how many old-shcool players head there anymore. Nintendo is almost literally pimping this community right now with no intention of giving them what they want or need. Exposure definitely is not it.

The scene seems so happy that their father finally chose to acknowledge their existence. But will only visit on the condition that they hand out neighborhood flyers, door-to-door, for his local car dealership, and they don't ask for a dime of child support.

Riposte

I don't think it's a good idea to expect much sense and logic to be flying around the game until 2 months or so after its released. The hype surrounding a Smash release is too thick.

Nintendo don't give a big fat fuck about Smash being a competitive game, and they really don't need to.

99% of people who buy it will play it as what it's best at being, a fun party game.

"Party" doesn't mean "non-competitive". If anything, in this context, it means "a game I will not think critically about".

Tizoc

Are the times for the EVO 2014 schedule PDT or EST? I want to know what the time equivalent is in GMT so I can be able to watch at least the finals.

Spuck-uk

Banned
"Party" doesn't mean "non-competitive". If anything, in this context, it means "a game I will not think critically about".

Competitive play never seems to have been a design goal for the game. Brawl has a mechanic that seems designed specifically to remove that aspect (tripping).

Competitive Smash is really a rather clever hack to a party game, given the rules required to make it balanced.

Riposte

Competitive play never seems to have been a design goal for the game. Brawl has a mechanic that seems designed specifically to remove that aspect (tripping).

Competitive Smash is really a rather clever hack to a party game, given the rules required to make it balanced.

Using the menu to turn the items option to "none", using stocks instead of just time, and picking certain stages is a hack now? I wonder if I'll need l33t hacker skills to adjust what songs play on each stage.

Smash matches usually ends with a winner or winning team. The new special 3DS mode mulitplayer adventure-like ends in a match too. Terrible design if their goal isn't competitiveness.

Is there any explicit mechanic meant to prevent people from "try-harding", so to speak, in smash wiiu like tripping in brawl? I don't see why not including techniques (or removing them, depending on your point of view) necessarily invalidates it as a competitive game, but I suppose there's reason to be disappointed if you were expecting a successor to Melee. Nobody has any idea if there are new tricks to figure out, so I think there's enough to look forward to in the "new game honeymoon" phase that happens for most fighting games, even if it doesn't end up with the longevity or depth of Melee. Though seeing how a community formed around Brawl, which is apparently awful, I think this game will survive fine.

Top Bottom