• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Beckx

21 pages between yesterday afternoon and now? I know I missed the smash invitational, but damn.

What's the rundown (I assume mostly from E3, and I saw Dead Rising 3 as well as Nintendo's presentation) FG wise?

Switch to 100ppp, it's easier on the soul.

Other FG stuff:

USF will be on Playstation Now (lol)
MKX character reveals
GG Xrd demo with no new info
Ken the Eagle featured in a new FG...hahaha, no *cries*

Jazz-ism

Banned
That post about the Smash community being "toxic" and whatever brain-damaged individuals agree with it has to be some troll or joke I'm not in on.

Accessibility and high ceilings in game design are not mutually exclusive concepts. "Smash isn't a fighting game" and "Smash takes no skill" were memes as early as the nascent Melee years and the series never lost its reputation for being a casual party game franchise, despite its mechanics. It never will.

I feel like typing up a huge post on Smashboards regarding the state of the scene, but I'm not sure how many old-shcool players head there anymore. Nintendo is almost literally pimping this community right now with no intention of giving them what they want or need. Exposure definitely is not it.

The scene seems so happy that their father finally chose to acknowledge their existence. But will only visit on the condition that they hand out neighborhood flyers, door-to-door, for his local car dealership, and they don't ask for a dime of child support.

kimo you can be a real fuckboy sometimes but this post is amazing

.la1n

What do you mean?

More in the sense of where are their next generation efforts. I am as excited as the next person for Ultimax and USFIV but I was hoping they would have new games to show. Specifically I thought maybe Capcom and Namco would have new fighting games to show off. It feels like a lot of what is on the horizon right now is just the usual base game upgrade repackaged into new products.

OceanBlue

Japan's probably in a bit of a strange situation due to the prevalence of systems like Nesica in the arcades. I wonder how upgrading Nesica cabs works.

Clawww

the competitive aspect of smash emerged organically. as a kid, I didn't see see or read about how the pros were doing it. I wanted to body my friends without any nonsense getting in the way, and we had a lot of fun going head to head. the post earlier about the competitive mode being a 'hack' has the wrong idea. it's more like a very popular set of house rules, which makes perfect sense for a party game. the whole idea is to suit the game to your needs. that vast non-competitive population is most certainly tweaking the game to their needs, doing laser swords only on high or turning off bob-ombs or agreeing to not pick a bullshit stage.

Riposte

The way people talk about Megaman is super weird to me, my brain can't even parse it sometimes. It's not even about the games anymore (which I love btw), people are so focused on the character itself. I wish I could think of a tv/film scene to capture what I mean because I've known I seen it, but it is like he's a real person or something dying from some disease appearing on Oprah and posters are in the audience. There's the cheers, the crying, etc. Shit has gotten too sappy now. Shenmue fans don't even get like this, what the hell. I thought it was just bitterness, but it's evolved now. Megaman is now alive and needs our help, or something.

EDIT:

You don't understand what a hack is, H2H.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Tournament_legal_(SSBB)

Well that certainly seems reasonable, surely just as designed.

Ever heard of house rules? These seem like fairly understandable: "Don't make the game unplayable". Other fighting games have similar things going on, because games are not perfect.

EDIT: I'm not going to say these are not "hacks", but you realize you could argue the idea of a tournament is a "hack".

Clawww

The way people talk about Megaman is super weird to me, my brain can't even parse it sometimes. It's not even about the games anymore (which I love btw), people are so focused on the character itself. I wish I could think of a tv/film scene to capture it what I mean because I've known I see it, but it is like he's a real person or something dying from some disease appearing on Oprah and posters are in the audience. There's the cheers, the crying, etc. Shit has gotten too sappy now. Shenmue fans don't ever get like this, what the hell.

I feel you. I saw your post in that E3 final smash hype video and I kinda felt the same. shits bizarre. it's not even like, saltiness over the franchise not getting enough attention or whatever, but something else. then again, Capcom has legitimately trolled the fuck out of megafans so who knows what that does to the fanboy psyche

Silky

Banned
The way people talk about Megaman is super weird to me, my brain can't even parse it sometimes. It's not even about the games anymore (which I love btw), people are so focused on the character itself. I wish I could think of a tv/film scene to capture what I mean because I've known I seen it, but it is like he's a real person or something dying from some disease appearing on Oprah and posters are in the audience. There's the cheers, the crying, etc. Shit has gotten too sappy now. Shenmue fans don't even get like this, what the hell. I thought it was just bitterness, but it's evolved now. Megaman is now alive and needs our help, or something.

:lol

casperOne

Switch to 100ppp, it's easier on the soul.

Other FG stuff:

USF will be on Playstation Now (lol)
MKX character reveals
GG Xrd demo with no new info
Ken the Eagle featured in a new FG...hahaha, no *cries*

Heard about USF4 on PS Now. Waiting to see how that will turn out.

Saw the character reveals.

Link to GGXrd demo?

Also, Ken the Eagle? From SF? What is this in reference to?

Xrd demo stinks? That's a shame.

Heard about USF4 on PS Now. Waiting to see how that will turn out.

Saw the character reveals.

Link to GGXrd demo?

Also, Ken the Eagle? From SF? What is this in reference to?

The Ken from G-Force/Gatchaman - dude in the bird suit from Tatsunoko VS Capcom.

I feel you. I saw your post in that E3 final smash hype video and I kinda felt the same. shits bizarre. it's not even like, saltiness over the franchise not getting enough attention or whatever, but something else. then again, Capcom has legitimately trolled the fuck out of megafans so who knows what that does to the fanboy psyche

They're jilted - been that way ever since the cancelation/PAX East double whammy.
The best thing to do is to let them commiserate with each other and steer clear of MM threads until each niche finds its spiritual successor to clamp onto.

CurlyW

Is this coming from the Bridget die-hards?

The GameSpot guy asking the questions knew absolutely nothing about Guilty Gear, or probably any fighting game. The ASW people answering the questions could only speak through a translator. The only game footage was a loop of a Sol vs. Ky match that included 2 minutes of cinematics. No new characters were revealed.

Riposte

They're jilted - been that way ever since the cancelation/PAX East double whammy.
The best thing to do is to let them commiserate with each other and steer clear of MM threads until each niche finds its spiritual successor to clamp onto.

I guess that's nothing new, but what I'm getting at is that the language some people use concerning the character is approaching creepy levels.

Damn I shouldn't have gone to the smash general thread.

My brain can't take it, at least they're too scared to venture here.

Thanks Triforce.

Whatever, those people are too scared to venture outside their little thread at all, thank you Sony fans for keeping them away.

"appro- godDAMN it, JC.

But yeah, fans are just really passionate. Really, really passionate. After all, the narrative is that it's all their fault the series has fallen apart - I don't agree with it, but it's too late to change it now. They're bound to take everything personally, and when things get personal, people stop filtering themselves. Combine that with the shushing and put-downs from other fandoms, and it's basically them VS the world. The 4 years of poor, poor decisions from Capcom in general have not done much to redeem the company, either.

It's an entirely different set of producer/consumer and fan-to-fan relationships than what most gamers are used to, and some posters react to everything MM-related in a metacontextual way. All the time. Every time. No matter what. It's just the state of the fandom at this point.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Uhh... Namco has Tekken X Street Fighter and a bunch of other things to work on?

Come back for Tekken 7 in like.... 5 years.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

Azure J

I'd just really like to know what's up that apparently makes Dash Dancing impossible in the current build of Smash 4. It's like, the previous barrier to entry on that technique (tripping) was kicked the fuck out, how could something else come along to prevent playing footsies in a game that is like this?

Don't do this to me when I finally perfected that shit man. :(

Dahbomb

This is only going to "go away" if Capcom puts out a legitimate Megaman game and does the character some justice.

Right now it's not MM fans VS the world... it's more like the world against Capcom. People praise Nintendo for doing MM justice while in the same sentence shit on Capcom and this is also coming from people who have not played a MM game. MM is pretty much Helly Kitty status now, his origin does not matter as much as his iconic mascot status and his merchandising.

Once Capcom makes a Megaman game and it bombs then the blame is shifted back on the fans and the reality comes out.... MM by himself does not move a ton of game sales and the MM fanbase that actually buys the games is the very definition of a vocal minority.

Riposte

Capcom should outsource it to some guys making platforms if they don't have any teams interested in doing it. If it's from someone like the guys behind Volgarr (Crazy Viking Studios), then we might even get a hell of a game out of it.

I'd just really like to know what's up that apparently makes Dash Dancing impossible in the current build of Smash 4. It's like, the previous barrier to entry on that technique (tripping) was kicked the fuck out, how could something else come along to prevent playing footsies in a game that is like this?

Don't do this to me when I finally perfected that shit man. :(

I'll let you know in a few hours.

Top Bottom