• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Horseress

forget your SFV for now guys

About certain article on June 11, 2014
A certain media organization carried an interview with Capcom President Haruhiro Tsujimoto. Regarding the reference to a pay system in the interview article, Haruhiro Tsujimoto did not make any comments on adjusting strength of characters in the game by using this type of system.

Furthermore, details regarding "Street Fighter 5", including the title itself, were not officially announced at this point.

"A certain media organization"

casperOne

casperOne, I have a question for you, which will be done first: Detox or OneFrameLink?

Not sure what you mean by detox.

Also, it's "One Frame Link"

On the one hand, OFL will never be "done"; there will always be plans to expand the services that it provides.

On the other, it's already been successful in bringing value add to events (at the request of event organizers) and continues to do so. So in that sense, it's "done".

As for public facing services, I started out with the intent of wanting to provide those services. However, as time went on, I became more involved in services specific to event organizers, bringing value-add to them. I continued to focus on that level and not the public facing services because that's the best way I can see to elevate the entire FGC; bring a better production to events, in-house and on stream, which will help those events grow (and as a result, the scene).

Last year, the crowning jewel of those services was Capcom Cup integration; we gave Peter direct, real-time feedback from the fans which he was able to use to enhance commentary with. That's a huge win in my book. It means that commentators have a more diverse set of tools to rely on instead of what they typically rely on now, which is strictly based on memory/experience. That's a far cry from what commentators in most other (sporting, eSports
and no, I'm not saying I want to take the FGC eSports, just saying I want to make it better
) organizations have, in that they have media packages, reams of stats, etc. They have a rich set of information to augment the stream and in-house experience to make for a more engaging presentation overall.

This year, our crown jewel will be something different, something much bigger, and with luck, you should be hearing about it (or I can talk about it more) in the next few weeks.

Forget USF4 and SF5. Death Cargo is real, I just received my collector edition.

ueWLK0p.jpg

Not sure if it was posted, but impressions from the smashers that played it http://meleeiton.me/2014/06/10/invitational-impressions/

Ignore the "tier list" at the bottom obviously. The other stuff is interesting and gives some insight.
Just remember that it's not like they had a lot of time with the game beforehand.

Talking to smashers, there's too much doom and gloom that it's a bit annoying. No one should be expecting Smash 4 to be the next melee. A lot of people are having kneejerk reactions to anything that's just changed which is unfortunate. I'm still looking forward to it though, especially tomorrow.

I really like the increase in landing recovery after air dodging though. Would've been nice to maybe restrict one air dodge without putting you into a helpless state, but this is good enough. People aren't liking the change to ledges (which was known before) along with no SDI.

That seems to describe a lot of people wrt Xrd on Dustloop, too. It's like Ishiwatari says they've simplified the game for beginners and that they've slowed the game down and everyone acts as if the sky is falling. When they're not in Japan playing the game. When their comments sound like they haven't watched a bunch of the footage that's making rounds on niconico and youtube. Like they haven't read any descriptions of the sysytem apart from "simpler and slower", like, dunno, detailed descriptions of the new system mechanics. If they had done any of that they'd see that the slowdown is minor, the game is still GG and the new RC system is still deep. (or listened to Elvenshadow who's bodying people in Japan tell them it's ok)

Then again, there is a contignent of Melee players who are a lot like some ST grognards in that any change is negative in their eyes, so meh.

Beckx

What's this sf5 pay to win rumor thing about?

Timeline:

1. Japanese press reports on Capcom's COO attending some sort of finance gathering and saying that to promote accessibility, SFV will have P2W.

2. Ono tweets a clear statement that it's not true later that day.

3. Capcom HQ issues press release today that it's not true, implies press made it up/got it wrong and SFV hasn't been announced.

sooo uhhh, did Enzo make this happen with his thread titles somehow?

dat capcom logo, are they going to play USF4 against each other on the jumbotron at every show?

Damnit I was gonna post something witty smh

Guess this is where the SFV funds are going to come from

Timeline:

1. Japanese press reports on Capcom's COO attending some sort of finance gathering and saying that to promote accessibility, SFV will have P2W.

2. Ono tweets a clear statement that it's not true later that day.

3. Capcom HQ issues press release today that it's not true, implies press made it up/got it wrong and SFV hasn't been announced.

What exactly is p2w? Is it like League of Legends where you have to buy each individual character?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What exactly is p2w? Is it like League of Legends where you have to buy each individual character?

It is what it is, pay to win. LOL does it a bit differently, the character ends up being broken when you buy it but gets balanced/nerfed after a certain amount of time. Skill/Strategy is still a huge asset in games like LOL/Diablo unless Dahbomb can school me on this cause I barely play those types of games. But I digress, you basically pay money to get better stuff than other people and "wipe down" the competition. Mainly scrubs/people with no time do this.

I'm pretty sure Capcom is dead now. Only hope for them in Capcom Cup/EVO to announce something. I'm pretty sure the USF4 invitational is tonight too, they got a chance to mention something there but I highly doubt it. Its obvious Capcom has something in the works but they don't know how to quell their "passionate" fanbase.

Zissou

LoL is kind of pay to win (having access to more/all of the character gives you a competetive advantage, and even though you can eventually earn them through 1000s of hours of play, practically speaking, you have to buy a lot of them). I think in this instance, p2w is more like buying more explicit in-game advantages (more damage on moves, more moves, whatever).

I do. :p
But really, I was just curious since they went through the effort for BlazBlue.

Reading subs isn't too hard :p

onionfrog

I'm pretty sure Capcom is dead now. Only hope for them in Capcom Cup/EVO to announce something. I'm pretty sure the USF4 invitational is tonight too, they got a chance to mention something there but I highly doubt it. Its obvious Capcom has something in the works but they don't know how to quell their "passionate" fanbase.
You know what I want to see?

A Capcom-only fighter that provides the level of fan service present in the Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 DLC.

I mean, I saw Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Captain Commando, Resident Evil, Darkstalkers, Power Stone and many more Capcom franchises in that DLC. References up the wazoo!

A Capcom-only fighter that provides the level of fan service present in the Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 DLC.

I mean, I saw Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Captain Commando, Resident Evil, Darkstalkers, Power Stone and many more Capcom franchises in that DLC. References up the wazoo!

whens all-stars?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not sure what you mean by detox.

Also, it's "One Frame Link"

On the one hand, OFL will never be "done"; there will always be plans to expand the services that it provides.

On the other, it's already been successful in bringing value add to events (at the request of event organizers) and continues to do so. So in that sense, it's "done".

As for public facing services, I started out with the intent of wanting to provide those services. However, as time went on, I became more involved in services specific to event organizers, bringing value-add to them. I continued to focus on that level and not the public facing services because that's the best way I can see to elevate the entire FGC; bring a better production to events, in-house and on stream, which will help those events grow (and as a result, the scene).

Last year, the crowning jewel of those services was Capcom Cup integration; we gave Peter direct, real-time feedback from the fans which he was able to use to enhance commentary with. That's a huge win in my book. It means that commentators have a more diverse set of tools to rely on instead of what they typically rely on now, which is strictly based on memory/experience. That's a far cry from what commentators in most other (sporting, eSports
and no, I'm not saying I want to take the FGC eSports, just saying I want to make it better
) organizations have, in that they have media packages, reams of stats, etc. They have a rich set of information to augment the stream and in-house experience to make for a more engaging presentation overall.

This year, our crown jewel will be something different, something much bigger, and with luck, you should be hearing about it (or I can talk about it more) in the next few weeks.
I thought you were in tune with the hippity hops. Detox is the long anticipated Dr. Dre album.. which we've been waiting for well over a decade.

I guess I don't fully comprehend where you guys are going with OFL as a site or that just hasn't been unveiled yet. Maybe I always envisioned it as a Shoryuken-but-better focused thing since you were looking for writers and stuff, but so far, as you mention, it seems to be very event-focused and despite seeing it referenced everywhere and contributing to pots (very significantly, at that), the site itself seems a bit barren whereas it could be a thriving FGC hub, especially when your brand is out there like that?
and you guys have to have some pretty serious funding I imagine for this to be sustaining itself as is

holy run on sentence batman

sooo uhhh, did Enzo make this happen with his thread titles somehow?

dat capcom logo, are they going to play USF4 against each other on the jumbotron at every show?
I always knew I had an impact on the culture, this is only second to getting love from Mark McDonald. Let's talk about how you're always up on this and got Drake GIFs on speed dial tho

I guess next week is FGW | Tat my fucking name on you so I know it's real

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Capcom can do it, the bigwigs down in Japan are just too stupid. They are working on multiple projects, Deep Down, a new fighting game to replace SFIV and to give them time before SFV, a new Megaman (probably build up from the ground up multiple times since they don't wanna fail on it). The only issue is that they leave us hanging for way too long.

But that requires effort. :BibleThump:

You clearly are not anime enough for this game.

silentQ

Not sure if its been asked but is there some kind site that records the statistics of a bunch of the people who play top tier FGC? Just curious.

Edit: Sorry didn't realize Shoryuken had something like it the rankings. Still I wonder if theres raw win/loss records anywhere.

mollipen

Up first, against one the of characters I have the harder time against, and playing a character I'm not great at yet. I had no hope from the start. *laughs*

Top Bottom