• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

vulva

Not sure if its been asked but is there some kind site that records the statistics of a bunch of the people who play top tier FGC? Just curious.

Edit: Sorry didn't realize Shoryuken had something like it the rankings. Still I wonder if theres raw win/loss records anywhere.
Does get your tournament still operate?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What does eventhubs have to do with p2w in SF?

They probably did an article on it.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they sponsored a Drake concert in hopes of getting him to do some of the scores for a new fighting game. It seems pretty obvious or maybe I'm too hopeful....

What time is the USF4 exhibition?

mollipen

I just cannot get over choking in high-pressure matches. When I'm playing in just a casual basis with friends or in random online matches, no problem. Put any amount of pressure on my performance, and I just crumble.

My loss in today's editors tournament both makes me want to really try harder at getting over that nervousness, and just quit fighting games period. *heh*

pixelish

I just cannot get over choking in high-pressure matches. When I'm playing in just a casual basis with friends or in random online matches, no problem. Put any amount of pressure on my performance, and I just crumble.

My loss in today's editors tournament both makes me want to really try harder at getting over that nervousness, and just quit fighting games period. *heh*
sorry but who were you in the tournament?

mollipen

The person playing Poison who got murdered against Zangief. I always have problems against him, and just end up playing stupidly because I panic about what to do.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

You eventually get used to it. Just expose yourself to more situations like this and your body/mind will adapt. Everyone starts somewhere. If that doesn't help, what I do personally to calm my nerves and not panic is watch an extremely embarrassing video and think to myself "heh, this ain't so bad".

tumblr_mzh6djb9gD1qdzoq5o1_1280.jpg

wish this were real

Anne

Top 20 in P4U2 arcade ranks if anybody is interested:

Yu = 6
Shabby = 3
Teddie = 2
Yosuke = 2
Yukari = 2
Mitsuru = 1
Minazuki = 1
Naoto = 1
Chie = 1
Akihiko = 1

Caught up with the game last night. Some things have developed lol

Yu = 6
Shabby = 3
Teddie = 2
Yosuke = 2
Yukari = 2
Mitsuru = 1
Minazuki = 1
Naoto = 1
Chie = 1
Akihiko = 1

An Akihiko is up there but no Aigis? That's interesting

Anne

An Akihiko is up there but no Aigis? That's interesting

The fact an Aigis hasn't been in the top 10 in months blows my mind. I'm pretty invested in the character so I keep up with her, and she is definitely good. I personally think she'll end up weaker vs the cast than in P4U, but she should still be S tier.

GooeyHeat

Yu = 6
Shabby = 3
Teddie = 2
Yosuke = 2
Yukari = 2
Mitsuru = 1
Minazuki = 1
Naoto = 1
Chie = 1
Akihiko = 1

Yu and me, me and Yu...
By the way, which Sho is that?
and where's Da Man :(

How did SFxT's reception at all negatively affect you? What am I missing?
I think by "to me" they meant "in my opinion"; it was just worded somewhat vaguely.

casperOne

I thought you were in tune with the hippity hops. Detox is the long anticipated Dr. Dre album.. which we've been waiting for well over a decade.

Man, I've given up on that.

I guess I don't fully comprehend where you guys are going with OFL as a site or that just hasn't been unveiled yet. Maybe I always envisioned it as a Shoryuken-but-better focused thing since you were looking for writers and stuff, but so far, as you mention

That's a legitimate criticism. Initially, we were focused on public-facing services for the FGC. Event location, video indexing (both of which are projects we're still very interested in, but have been put on hold due to other projects) etc.

However, as OFL's involvement in the scene grew, we found more tournament organizers interested in the polling as well as our next offering which we're going to unveil in the next few weeks
(and in a big way, we hope)
. Those offerings are not very public-facing.

Before all of this happened, we were considering different areas we could make an impact in the FGC; writing is definitely an area, where we felt that original feature pieces (think Polygon style features) would be something that we could do.

Would we like to do all of these things and fulfill all of the FGCs needs? Yes, of course.

But like all things we are limited by time, and in the current time frame, with the current project, we felt that it was the best thing for the FGC (and for us) to move all other projects forward to deliver what we'll be unveiling in the next few weeks.

Tik-tok, tik-tok...

it seems to be very event-focused and despite seeing it referenced everywhere and contributing to pots (very significantly, at that), the site itself seems a bit barren whereas it could be a thriving FGC hub, especially when your brand is out there like that?

As stated above, that's where our focus is more now, on events, and bringing the value-add to them.

Could it be a thriving hub for the FGC? Perhaps, but we haven't figured out what exactly that would be post 2014 (our current project, if successful will take us through the rest of the year).

However, you're absolutely correct in that the site is barren; it really needs a redesign to reflect what OFL is doing in the community and being more of a showcase for what we provide.

Will it be something more in the future? Perhaps. But remember, this is a space saturated very large aggregators/event result sites. If we were to focus on a website that would be a hub for the FGC that existed in those spaces, we'd have to figure out how to differentiate ourselves from the current offerings.

Regardless of what we decide to do, whatever we do that is public facing will fall under the promise that I made when I ran sf4answers: while I am in control of the properties (sf4answers, One Frame Link), you will never see an advertisement on those sites. No pop ups, no flash ads, no background ads, no background music, nothing, none, ever.

and you guys have to have some pretty serious funding I imagine for this to be sustaining itself as is

Thank you for the compliments. We try to make smart decisions with what we have in order to be able to provide in the manner that we do.

Yu = 6
Shabby = 3
Teddie = 2
Yosuke = 2
Yukari = 2
Mitsuru = 1
Minazuki = 1
Naoto = 1
Chie = 1
Akihiko = 1

>6 Yu's
Not surprising lol, he's the top tier right?

Also as mentioned no Aigis is a little surprising. At least a Mitsuru got in the list :^)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The person playing Poison who got murdered against Zangief. I always have problems against him, and just end up playing stupidly because I panic about what to do.
The basic gameplan against any grappler is to just zone them out and punish their attempts to get close. When you are close, make sure it's on your terms and you do things that are safe on hit or block. If they finally do get in on their own terms, then look for the right moment to retreat, reversal, or block/punish. Ultimately they have the advantage at this range so don't let them get to this point.

Treat them like they have a disease, but remember you have tools against them. Poison has an especially good fireball and you can bait anti-fireball stuff with her short one.

Anne

>6 Yu's
Not surprising lol, he's the top tier right?

Also as mentioned no Aigis is a little surprising. At least a Mitsuru got in the list :^)

As a surprise to nobody, Narukami is still S+ tier. He's not like Kokonoe or anything, he just takes the current meta and does it better. That Mitsuru is YMST btw, he was a Kanji god in P4U, then played Narukami, then Mits. He was a top 10 Narukami at some point , dude is good.

The things that I predicted (Yosuke would become S tier and SLab would be dumb strong) both happened. What I didn't think would happen is how utterly dumb Yosuke can be at times. He's pretty solidly S. The other thing I thought might happen but still kinda surprises me, is Naoto is considered S tier by a lot of players. SB gun and Venom Zapper too strong.

Top Bottom