• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

Tripon

Wonder how many entries Tekken 7 will get though. Evo will be the first official tourney for it. Maybe an 16 invitional might have made more sense.

Onemic

Wonder how many entries Tekken 7 will get though. Evo will be the first official tourney for it. Maybe an 16 invitional might have made more sense.

I'd assume a lot, considering that those playing it will essentially be getting a sneak peak at the game before it hits consoles(Im not sure of any NA arcades having T7 cabinets)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

image.php

zlatko

Banned
I was watching Justin's dream last night and there was a guy on there who subscribe again for the third month in a row. Luckily Justin plays a variety of games, and he read the chat to stay interactive with his community. He will go play ranked on mine with the worst variation for characters in Mortal Kombat 10 just to please his audience.

Edit: voice to text on phone sucks.

I was watching Justin's dream last night and there was a guy on there who subscribe again for the third month in a row. Luckily Justin plays a variety of games, and he read the chat to stay interactive with his community. He will go play ranked on mine with the worst variation for characters in Mortal Kombat 10 just to please his audience.

Justin's ability to interact with the viewers and play his match at the time time is kind of impressive.

Dahbomb

Damn son you got that Jean Grey tech?

Zissou

I wonder if dustloop is hurt by having an actual real time chat and people arranging skype chats (seems pretty common anyway) to talk about the game. Things discussed on the forum proper are recorded for posterity and easily accessible to anyone learning about the game, but communication taking place on chat or over skype is inherently transient.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Art's also very good at interacting with streamers and playing
I was gonna say it reminds me with how Art could commentate and play at the same time.

These guys just have a really good presence of mind and it's like second nature to them.

Kumubou

I wonder if dustloop is hurt by having an actual real time chat and people arranging skype chats (seems pretty common anyway) to talk about the game. Things discussed on the forum proper are recorded for posterity and easily accessible to anyone learning about the game, but communication taking place on chat or over skype is inherently transient.
This has always been happening, except before it was happening in IRC channels (right down to hitting up XDCC bots for match videos!). Now it's in Facebook groups, Skype chats, LINE sticker spamfests, etc. (ok, that last one may not be so helpful). Honestly, the discussions I've had with players in old chat channels were far more useful to helping me as a player learn games and match-ups than any forum. It kind of stinks that things are becoming more private and shut-in over time, but I think that's a pretty common trend in America in general nowadays.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
If I am reading the EVO post from Ponder correctly..I think Smash might have #1 and #2 most entered game? Or is it 2 and 3? That's insane.

Also: Marvel should be on Saturday due to the overlap between Marvel and SF4 players. I wouldn't be surprised if the top players wanted the same thing. That, or you get a big game with little overlap and finish it on Saturday, so those players can enjoy Sat night w/o having to wake up early Sunday morning to play.

If I am reading the EVO post from Ponder correctly..I think Smash might have #1 and #2 most entered game? Or is it 2 and 3? That's insane.

unless they somehow passed USF4, it's most likely #2 and #3, and there is most likely a gigantic gap between them and every non-USF4 game

And all the number comparing of Marvel to MKX, Smash and GGXrd is a bit silly especially MKX which just came out and has the new game hype bandwagon. Of course it's going to have higher numbers... if it didn't I would be scared for the game's future.

Now how would the numbers be for the games 4-5 years down the line? Would the games still be played at EVO? MKX and GGXrd have been updated more times in a few months than Marvel 3 has in 3 and a half years...

You mean top 8?

Top 3 is set in stone at this point... Justin Wong, FChamp and ChrisG are the best 3 hands down no questions asked.

After that it's a whole range of top players who are on the cusp and are capable of beating these 3.

Cloud805 - Multiple top 8 finishes, many times has gotten 2nd place (only to lose to a god but he has slain gods in his path)
Clockwork - Another god killer, just finished 3rd in his most recent tournament only losing to Justin and Clockwork but won against FChamp.
RayRay - Just got 2nd at Texas, winning over Justin but losing against ChrisG in a close 2 set game.
Apologyman - Many top 8 finishes including a major win, can slay gods as well.
KBR - He just keeps getting better and better against all odds.
Paradigm - Multiple top 8 finishes
Marvelo, Full Schedule - Florida boys put in a lot of work with the game and have been performing really well lately.
Flocker - Hasn't performed well lately but he is still top 8 caliber player
Cosmos, Terry Bogard - The new emergent players of this year with their Morrigans. They have definitely done well recently and are major threats.
RF, Nemo and the Japanese Marvel players - Hopefully the Japanese Marvel players show up at EVO in full force because they can do some work. KVO had 200 players for Marvel and the games were good. And they have some quality group of players now.

This list is basically the same as last year's only with a few additions and these players have closed the gap more so. It's not as apparent in the results but when you see the matches you see the players struggling for ever win.. it's not as free as it was a couple of years ago.

You forgot about Yipes.
LOL

Zissou

This has always been happening, except before it was happening in IRC channels (right down to hitting up XDCC bots for match videos!). Now it's in Facebook groups, Skype chats, LINE sticker spamfests, etc. (ok, that last one may not be so helpful). Honestly, the discussions I've had with players in old chat channels were far more useful to helping me as a player learn games and match-ups than any forum. It kind of stinks that things are becoming more private and shut-in over time, but I think that's a pretty common trend in America in general nowadays.

I suppose it's nothing new, haha. It's a shame though that tons of knowledge is being exhanged without being recorded. It would benefit the playbase a lot to have better access to info.

shaowebb

wii_u_tatsunoko_vs_capcom_2_boxart_by_machriderz-d5g6q9e.png

Hey one can dream :p

*foams at mouth*

Don't you do this to me. I still play TvC. STILL. I love this fucking game so much.

Edit: Oh Lord you even added Speedy from Samurai Pizza Cats too. Now just add Racer X, Volter, and Gene and Asura and we are in business. I'd likely still rock Polimar though. Him and Karas are just so high damage and so dirty with the mixup pressure.

Onemic

I CAN'T CONTROL IT!!!!

I would love a TvC2. Fuck me. That game will NEVER happen. We'd see a MvC4 before TvC2. :(

Naw at this point I'd say TvC2 is far more likely than an MvC4, which will literally never happen, since Capcom doesnt have the rights to it.

Zissou

Why do people pine for TvC2 so much? Wasn't the first game far more (competitively) broken than umvc3? Feels like games that die before they reach maturity are remembered fondly because it's easy to overlook how busted they were/might've been.

shaowebb

Naw at this point I'd say TvC2 is far more likely than an MvC4, which will literally never happen, since Capcom doesnt have the rights to it.

OhmanOhGodOhmanOhGodOhmanOhGod...don't you say these things to me. I have fucking notebooks full of thoughts on this game. Baroque was the best comeback feature ever.

• Your damage increases based on how much damage you've taken and how much red health you have left. Once over you lose that red health.
  • It acts as a cancel same as canceling into Xfactor did and thus grants those same cancel options.
  • Drop the combo though and its OVER, baroque ends and you lose your red health

Plus you could use it to nullify the knockback on megacrash combo breakers which is hype!

My main changes would be that Megacrash needs to be on a seperate meter so as to allow folks to end big with supers instead of saving it all for kills...possibly to a dash meter to prevent the shenanigans of megacrashing successfully equating to a full combo conversion into death. I'd likely let it rock that using Baroque vs Mega crash would work because it takes a smart read to do it, but I may have it nullify the damage buff for the combo followup if the baroque cancel is used to Nullify Megacrash...still lets you do your combo, but not at lvl 3 Xfactor damage.

God I want this gaaaaaaaaaame to happen. TvC2 is the most hoped for thing I could ask for in fighters.Plus just having Yatterman's insane hitboxes back would be great, oh and Batsu's divekicks...and Cashern!

(goes into withdrawal)
Why do people pine for TvC2 so much? Wasn't the first game far more (competitively) broken than umvc3? Feels like games that die before they reach maturity are remembered fondly because it's easy to overlook how busted they were/might've been.

Because the roster was almost entirely new and different than anything we've played and it was VERY good. It used a safer and less shenanigan air combo system than TAC, it experimented with the concept that by using combo breakers in a Mahvel style game you could let shenanigan's rock and for the most part it worked, it had the best comeback factor bar none, and its air dash filled, no wavedash/flight/low amount of teleports landscape resulted in a Marvel-like environment that actually allowed for a LOT of footsies.

It was like the best of both worlds of fighters...Marvel offense/setup/assist stuff plus footsie heavy/read heavy gaming from other fighting game environments.

Top Bottom