• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

zlatko

Banned
I just got caught up on the last episode of X-Cellent Adventures.

Mike Ross got so fucking mad in this episode. I don't mean salty either... I mean REAL FUCKING MAD! Like eyes started to water up, voice level raised, talking jibberish, and just plain ass mad to blame the game.

Like holy shit...I don't even think I went that angry when I was at my worst in SF4 back in the day learning it as my first fighter. I KNEW the problem was me, and not the game.

Poor guys man... I expose dummies in this game so easy. Mike saying playing a moron wins and to just mash the same shit over is childish as it gets.

I mean shit their own damn channel has videos uploaded of TONS of tutorials for the game and character combos.

Mike... call over Chris G and get educated. The issue lies within.

Dahbomb

I just got caught up on the last episode of X-Cellent Adventures.

Mike Ross got so fucking mad in this episode. I don't mean salty either... I mean REAL FUCKING MAD! Like eyes started to water up, voice level raised, talking jibberish, and just plain ass mad to blame the game.

Like holy shit...I don't even think I went that angry when I was at my worst in SF4 back in the day learning it as my first fighter. I KNEW the problem was me, and not the game.

Poor guys man... I expose dummies in this game so easy. Mike saying playing a moron wins and to just mash the same shit over is childish as it gets.

I mean shit their own damn channel has videos uploaded of TONS of tutorials for the game and character combos.

Mike... call over Chris G and get educated. The issue lies within.
I think you are confused as to what Excellent adventures are really about.

I will give you a clue... it starts with C... and ends with a PM.

shaowebb

CeEAdRu.gif

I was hoping for a gif of the original using it, he's my favorite :p

We are now bros for life.

OG Tekkaman and Volnutt holds one of the biggest memories for me...I played a long set of "I've got next" with TvC before it came out here and it was at a convention with a crowded room on a jumbo projector thingy. I ran it back with those two and a second before Morrigan missiles would have destroyed my comeback and knocked me out on chip damage I got OG Tekkaman to body her with Super Spinning Tek Lancer. The room exploded and my future in the FGC was cemented...I was addicted from that hype moment onward.

Here you go...Voltekka, Air Voltekka, and since its also pretty dope and was the move that gave me the moment that made me blowup an entire audience with hype I'll even throw in his Super Spinning Tek Lancer

xMxWuFa.gif

rFCUwkU.gif

2u0iBg3.gif

Wish I had one where he throws the lance and then cancels into the Voltekka. It was pretty cool how normally the move had a lot of startup just to plant his lance in the ground ,but if you threw it at them he could go right into it. It was a small thing but so cool that they did it and it let you combo into this move and prevented just outright beam spamming with the character's meter.

zlatko

Banned

Oh I know it's about watching them play Capcom fighters.

I think however I brought it up in a previous post or two where I'm just baffled at their willingness to say a game is dumb, etc yet they KNOW that it's themselves who suck due to lack of information(combos, match ups, mechanics, etc), and dismiss the entire game and bad mouth it as well.

I'm not here to defend MK or anything, but it's hardly a shit game like Mike kept claiming it to be due to his getting bodied. The game is completely different at high level too compared to the pool of players they play.

I genuinely hope they hit the lab big time, and at least do another session of this game because for whatever reason I feel they'd be FAR better at this game than SF4 at this point.

Dahbomb

I think however I brought it up in a previous post or two where I'm just baffled at their willingness to say a game is dumb, etc yet they KNOW that it's themselves who suck due to lack of information(combos, match ups, mechanics, etc), and dismiss the entire game and bad mouth it as well.

I'm not here to defend MK or anything, but it's hardly a shit game like Mike kept claiming it to be due to his getting bodied. The game is completely different at high level too compared to the pool of players they play.

I genuinely hope they hit the lab big time, and at least do another session of this game because for whatever reason I feel they'd be FAR better at this game than SF4 at this point.
It's about CPM son. They do these videos to get the views and to ride the hype bandwagon. The exaggerated comments are to stir up controversy so they get more clicks and views plus people talking about it (like you are doing right now).

Mike Ross will forever get bodied. He will get bodied at SFV, he will get bodied at any future VS game, he will get bodied at Tekken 7 and he will get bodied at whatever next MK or Injustice game comes out... and then he will complain about the game or the characters in it.

He's not going to "hit the lab", he will just continue to do what he does best... be a personality.

Sayad

Nope actually you got it 100% correct. Because no the 90s weren't that varied in style. Nor the 80s, or today. Usually there is one dominant trend in terms of art style, depending on whats popular and how prolific some studious are.
FatalFury3-TheMotionPicture.jpg
Masami Obari artstyle, while recognizable as 90s anime, is still unique enough you could easily till whenever something is directed or character designed by him. Dude even have a unique animation style and known for sneaking a lot of 1-frame stuff into his animation(though it's mostly pervy fanservice). Kind of a bad example of how anime looked the same in each decade.

Dahbomb always coming through with everything.

I really keep thinking about starting a podcast about games in general but a dedicated focus on each episode to fighting games. I think I might be able to get a good start since me and my friends have an ok youtube following already.

I'd really like to try my hand at commentary as well. Man I just need to go out there and start getting involved.

NEO0MJ

We are now bros for life.

OG Tekkaman and Volnutt holds one of the biggest memories for me...I played a long set of "I've got next" with TvC before it came out here and it was at a convention with a crowded room on a jumbo projector thingy. I ran it back with those two and a second before Morrigan missiles would have destroyed my comeback and knocked me out on chip damage I got OG Tekkaman to body her with Super Spinning Tek Lancer. The room exploded and my future in the FGC was cemented...I was addicted from that hype moment onward.

Here you go...Voltekka, Air Voltekka, and since its also pretty dope and was the move that gave me the moment that made me blowup an entire audience with hype I'll even throw in his Super Spinning Tek Lancer

2u0iBg3.gif

OG Tekkaman and Volnutt were my favorite team as well. And yeah, Super Spinning Tek Lancer is the most hype move ever. It's simple yet so flashy.

Does that super hit on blocking? It really looks like a overhead, which would be amazing. I've always played as jun the swan and yatterman(guy) so I wouldn't know.

I don't know why I've waited so long to buy my EVO plane ticket, I'm only fucking wallet lolllll.

He's talking about CPM son not capcom fighters LMAO.

Bruh....

CPS2

I liked how in between their last mkx episode and the most recent sf4 episode they had this huge revelation that shotos in sf were the way to go, like they'd found their home after years of searching.

Does that super hit on blocking? It really looks like a overhead, which would be amazing. I've always played as jun the swan and yatterman(guy) so I wouldn't know.

No but it otgs

Man I miss TvC. I'll always remember how I got a 20+ win streak with Roll/Volnutt at the arcade when it had just gotten CGoH because I was literally the only person there that had any idea what to do lol

Anne

Just saw Big E complaining on Facebook about inside jobs, then dropping thinly veiled hints saying he'll just drop KI cause "this shit is getting out of hand." Seems he's salty that CEO and Combo Breaker have staff related to IG and are the ones getting money and not him.

Seems silly. If anything I'd argue the crew that works between CEO and CB put together consistently the best US events and deserve the bonuses.

Not to dis Big E btw. He has a big heart and is super nice, I just wish he'd get some things together.

He's forgetting that SFIV is a 3D game made in 2008, it's animation is excellent as far as 3D videogames animation in 2008 goes, and I disagree about pixelation being a deliberate art style(at least when it comes to the fighters he mentioned, since that's the only section I've read). Visible pixels in KoFXIII and SF3 isn't deliberate, it's dictated more by the game's budget than art style, those game would have been made at much higher res if the budget allowed for it.

That being said, no one in his right mind would argue that SFIV's animation is better than 3s'.

I don't often praise SF4, but if there's one thing it deserves praise for it is precisely the animation. The moves have a good sense of heft and flow to them, which is completely missing in MK9 and mostly in Injustice, for example. A good dose of hitstop complements that very well, where attacks feel like they connect instead of two characters punching thin air (something that's a bit of a problem in eg. VF5, even if the animations are otherwise good)

I don't regret the years I spent with SFIV, but I don't miss them either.

They taught me a lot, but I'm damn happy they're in the past.

<3

</3

Mr. X

For those interested in high level Skullgirls footage, there is an ongoing online tournament on the PC Beta. Notable players include dekillsage, Duckator, MastaCJ, MCPeanuts, Yaya and Cloudking,

Archives:

Party Python Festival 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHkNezOZwrM&list=PLdB9h1TRi7wf5B0qyIcSj8CMUBSchaS2c

Festival 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsnvrKwiHAs&list=PLdB9h1TRi7we8OcUKfYTDVD27ZPiPqZrE

Festival 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zID14IWPPE0&list=PLdB9h1TRi7wdy-PXJn0CvHLkqIHNQX-CU

Next event is going to be a 16 man bracket composed of the top placers in the previous event.

LMAO at posting a terrible example (and ROFL at Terry with tits). If you are going to post an example of a bad fighting game anime... then at least post Street Fighter 2 the animated movie.

I actually just posted that because Obari.

He did a lot of work in the 90s like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmX564UTabE

Masami Obari artstyle, while recognizable as 90s anime, is still unique enough you could easily till whenever something is directed or character designed by him. Dude even have a unique animation style and known for sneaking a lot of 1-frame stuff into his animation(though it's mostly pervy fanservice). Kind of a bad example of how anime looked the same in each decade.
He is known for his specific shots and action poses. Not the character designs.

Yeah, gratuitous fanservice too, he is known for that.

Beckx

Why do people pine for TvC2 so much? Wasn't the first game far more (competitively) broken than umvc3? Feels like games that die before they reach maturity are remembered fondly because it's easy to overlook how busted they were/might've been.

I just want it for Tatsunoko characters is all.

Kinda like how people like MvC for Marvel, you know?

Like seriously, I would not mind seeing the new Jou and Berg-Katze (plus some of the new characters, too) from Gatchaman Crowds in a fighting game.

I just want it for Tatsunoko characters is all.

Kinda like how people like MvC for Marvel, you know?

Like seriously, I would not mind seeing the new Jou and Berg-Katze (plus some of the new characters, too) from Gatchaman Crowds in a fighting game.

The Tatsu cast was cool as heck, but even I liked the since-then Capcom no-shows like Roll and Saki

Zissou

I don't often praise SF4, but if there's one thing it deserves praise for it is precisely the animation. The moves have a good sense of heft and flow to them, which is completely missing in MK9 and mostly in Injustice, for example. A good dose of hitstop complements that very well, where attacks feel like they connect instead of two characters punching thin air (something that's a bit of a problem in eg. VF5, even if the animations are otherwise good)

SF4 has a pretty good sense of impact... but beating NRS at animation is like beating a blind kid at basketball- doesn't prove a whole lot.

SF4 has a pretty good sense of impact... but beating NRS at animation is like beating a blind kid at basketball- doesn't prove a whole lot.

I highlight it as a great example of what a glaring lack of weight to animation and sense of impact does to a game. Also highlighted VF, which all too often does feel like two characters taking swings at empty air.

shaowebb

This just made something go off in my head

It made something go off in my pants when I was on magic pixel rallying a comeback vs Morrigan/Chun and made it all the way till the end and used it to off Morrigan as she panic buttoned and tried to chip me out with missile super. Soon as I saw the flash and she paused in midair to do it I put that lance over her head and dropped that energy shower on her. That room fucking exploded with screams when my super went off and killed her just before her first missile could hit.

That moment with that move is what brought me here to the FGC and into putting in real work on making a fighter.

Zissou

I highlight it as a great example of what a glaring lack of weight to animation and sense of impact does to a game. Also highlighted VF, which all too often does feel like two characters taking swings at empty air.

Yeah- I often hate for the sake of it and do so despite thinking that mutual support within the various fighting game communities would be a great thing
I am a terrible person.
2D games tend to get that sense of weight better than 3D games for whatever reason though.

shaowebb

No, you will have to find a physical copy. Works on Wii and Wii U.
Online multiplayer is dead, though...

Not entirely. If you use Wii Homebrew channel you can setup Wiimifi and there are folks still playing it online on custom servers. Theres a TvC tourney scene facebook group that posts and plays a lot and a live site to tell if anyone is on.

Best is still to grab friends, set a day, and run a bunch of sets.

Sayad

Not great at sense of weight, but Tekken, imo, does "impacts" better than any other fighter, 2D or 3D. Hits really feel like they're doing damage, outside of juggle combos at least. VF have the best grab animations though.

shaowebb

Sucks about the multi, but still going to try and find a copy. Thanks!

I highly recommend getting a PS2 to Wii controller converter if you like goin padwarrior. I got the Mayflash one because I only had 1 stick for the Wii and the thing actually nets me better responsiveness on the Wii than the stick that isn't using a converter! Its kind of hard and expensive to get Wii sticks these days so its always a great backup option. Cheap too. Sure feels good to get use out of the PS2 15th anniversary SF stick somehow. That thing was a tank.

LGmlOAb.jpg

No matter how you play it though BUY AND PLAY TVC. Its one of the best fighting games I've ever experienced in terms of roster, tools and hype. It has its quirks but so does every fighting game and the good FAR outweighs the bad. Better game than UMVC3 in my eyes
TvC players have to live with Marn as their champion forever.
rBHxjKK.jpg

To be fair he earned it with his Alex/Zero and Tekkaman Blade/Zero teams. Guy was a pressure cooker.

Evo 2010 Marn vs Kbeast

Spuck-uk

Banned
And it was well warranted. Fighting Games will probably never have a game as technical and massive as TTT2 ever again. I am so fortunate to have been gaming in this time frame to experience what might be the most ambitious fighter to probably ever be released.

giphy.gif

(I'm glad T7 looks a bit more sane/approachable though, getting too old for this shit)

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
Just saw Big E complaining on Facebook about inside jobs, then dropping thinly veiled hints saying he'll just drop KI cause "this shit is getting out of hand." Seems he's salty that CEO and Combo Breaker have staff related to IG and are the ones getting money and not him.

Seems silly. If anything I'd argue the crew that works between CEO and CB put together consistently the best US events and deserve the bonuses.

Not to dis Big E btw. He has a big heart and is super nice, I just wish he'd get some things together.

Jebailey, Keits and big e/shinblanka have not been feeling each other for a hot minute. This goes back further than killer instinct. They have been at odds for a long time.

Would I have said it in public? Not really. Just like how Jebailey and Keits would probably want to say something but they can't considering they work for iron Galaxy.

However it certainly doesn't surprise me that combo breaker and CEO are getting all the ki bread knowing who runs what. Lol. I would have still tried to handle it in private though. I don't blame e for feeling salty because ki at events is pretty much tumbleweed but big e was getting decent numbers. Easy to see why he feels like he got shit on knowing that.

Hopefully they talk it out and something comes of it. Both people work hard, I know e and Jebailey/Keits have never liked each other at all but yeah..no one wins in this situation. Illuminati getting real now In 2015 lol.

Nyoro SF

TvC players have to live with Marn as their champion forever.

Marn was skilled though. It would be a different story if some nutcase new player was winning by doing random shit.

No, you will have to find a physical copy. Works on Wii and Wii U.
Online multiplayer is dead, though...

I did my best to play TvC online back in the day but it was just impossible for me. I couldn't do diddly. I have a feeling the online capabilities of the Wii sucked ass for this sort of thing.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I wonder if dustloop is hurt by having an actual real time chat and people arranging skype chats (seems pretty common anyway) to talk about the game. Things discussed on the forum proper are recorded for posterity and easily accessible to anyone learning about the game, but communication taking place on chat or over skype is inherently transient.

The main/only worthwhile group for dicussing gg/Xrd in the UK..is on Whatsapp. Luckily its leading to a cool character bible or two getting written.

Top Bottom