• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The tension between EC TOs has been pretty high key for years.

Regardless of who gets what pot bonus because of whatever politics I don't think any of this warrants being upset or feelings like they've been done wrong/they're owed something.

Love me some drama but this brand of it always seemed like super petty high school shit and explicitly framing things negatively instead of being humble and keeping it moving. The way I look at it there isn't really any reason for or benefit to reacting like that.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
The tension between EC TOs has been pretty high key for years.

Regardless of who gets what pot bonus because of whatever politics I don't think any of this warrants being upset or feelings like they've been done wrong/they're owed something.

Love me some drama but this brand of it always seemed like super petty high school shit and explicitly framing things negatively instead of being humble and keeping it moving. The way I look at it there isn't really any reason for or benefit to reacting like that.

East coast (specifically the tri state area) is very very real. Perhaps too real for most people to handle. Lol. We aren't about playing the politics game if we feel a certain type of way..we will pop off. Not saying it's the right way to handle things but it's certainly a New York/ ec state of mind. Lol

alstein

I consider this pretty shameful all around- especially when you threaten to pull events due to bruised ego. It hurts the players more than anyone else.

Spuck-uk

Banned
which characters?

Well I'm helping out with the Leo one

I'd link but its not ready for public consumption just yet, but theres some really nice tecxh one of the London guys has found out, way beyond where I've seen the US players.

number47

I wouldn't be surprised at the next level of blow ups with all this corporate money being throw around. There's no system for what counts as a major. How do tourneys get cpt ranking? How do companies choose which event. Especially with everyone trying to make a event now.

Watch when capcom really starts to regulate it (more paperwork)
Why do players complain about balance for Japanese games but complain about patches for american games?

Why don't tos comp top 8 players with exhibition hours? What intentive is there for top players to go to x tournament if its not official.

Onemic

I wouldn't be surprised at the next level of blow ups with all this corporate money being throw around. There's no system for what counts as a major. How do tourneys get cpt ranking? How do companies choose which event. Especially with everyone trying to make a event now.

Watch when capcom really starts to regulate it (more paperwork)
Why do players complain about balance for Japanese games but complain about patches for american games?

Why don't tos comp top 8 players with exhibition hours? What intentive is there for top players to go to x tournament if its not official.

I think it's because NRS had a rep of patching things way too quickly.

alstein

I think it's because NRS had a rep of patching things way too quickly.

The funny thing is NRS's patch speed isn't out of line for other western games, especially on the PC end. I think other FG companies would be smart to have an Endless Beta just like Skullgirls, but I don't know if that would work on console, and it would split the playerbase.

People are just used to Japanese companies being slow as molasses.

Shouta

I actually just posted that because Obari.

He did a lot of work in the 90s like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmX564UTabE

He is known for his specific shots and action poses. Not the character designs.

Yeah, gratuitous fanservice too, he is known for that.

Obari is pretty known for his specific design style though that often gets called upon for mecha design instead. He's done char design for a number of anime over the years though and even the stuff he directs sometimes has char design influences from him. SRW The Inspector had a different char designer but it has certain Obari char design aspects to it for example, lol.

Jebailey, Keits and big e/shinblanka have not been feeling each other for a hot minute. This goes back further than killer instinct. They have been at odds for a long time.

Would I have said it in public? Not really. Just like how Jebailey and Keits would probably want to say something but they can't considering they work for iron Galaxy.

However it certainly doesn't surprise me that combo breaker and CEO are getting all the ki bread knowing who runs what. Lol. I would have still tried to handle it in private though. I don't blame e for feeling salty because ki at events is pretty much tumbleweed but big e was getting decent numbers. Easy to see why he feels like he got shit on knowing that.

Hopefully they talk it out and something comes of it. Both people work hard, I know e and Jebailey/Keits have never liked each other at all but yeah..no one wins in this situation. Illuminati getting real now In 2015 lol.

Doesn't surprise me that there's tension as there are a lot of big events on the east coast vying for people's attention and time. It's gonna build up somehow. I guess the west coast has it a little easier in that respect. Only 3 majors currently all spaced in different locations and generally done on different months.

The funny thing is NRS's patch speed isn't out of line for other western games, especially on the PC end. I think other FG companies would be smart to have an Endless Beta just like Skullgirls, but I don't know if that would work on console, and it would split the playerbase.

People are just used to Japanese companies being slow as molasses.
Skullgirls is the worst in this area. Even worse than ASW. SO many changes just for the sake of changes. I stopped playing Skullgirls for 6 months, went back, and all my BNBs now broke IPS. It's really annoying, because the thing I hate most in fighting games is figuring out and mastering BNBs. I want to learn them ASAP and then just focus on mastering the neutral and setups.

I am okay with balance changes, but it should never be anything that makes me relearn my character. I should never have to sit in training mode for hours just because of a patch (obvious exception: an infinite is removed). It makes me feel like I waste my time learning things when they don't stay relevant. If you have to change something like a combo system, change it once a year max, and make the changes as small as possible.

I know Smash 4 has had very few changes in its patches so far, but I adore that. For most characters, the only change has been % damage done by an attack, which can increase or decrease their viability without changing how the character plays. I wouldn't mind drastic changes to a few Smash 4 characters, but I respect how minor the adjustments have been so far - just frame data and % damage. Sheik could use some frame data adjustments... :p

Astarte

gyDUSkA.jpg

Thanks for the laugh :y

I try to get into skullgirls from time to time and I don't know what the hell got changed or is happening

Dahbomb

Having to re-learn combos/characters is why other games can get away with big, regular balance changes but fighting games can't.

.la1n

I am okay with balance changes, but it should never be anything that makes me relearn my character. I should never have to sit in training mode for hours just because of a patch (obvious exception: an infinite is removed). It makes me feel like I waste my time learning things when they don't stay relevant. If you have to change something like a combo system, change it once a year max, and make the changes as small as possible.

This right fucking here. IronGalaxy did this with TJ Combo recently and as I was sitting in training mode having to relearn a character I have used for months I thought to myself "why am I even wasting my time doing this?"

Horseress

Some mentioned NRS about patching nonsense: yes, they were famous for that, but tomorrow it'll be one month MKX was released and not a single balance patch was released. By this time Injustice and MK9 already had some.

And the best part is that it doesn't need a patch yet! The game looks very balanced as of right now

Tripon

Some mentioned NRS about patching nonsense: yes, they were famous for that, but tomorrow it'll be one month MKX was released and not a single balance patch was released. By this time Injustice and MK9 already had some.

And the best part is that it doesn't need a patch yet! The game looks very balanced as of right now
Not counting the PC patch? :O

.la1n

I hope they just let it rock until after EVO.

Mr. X

Players are more willing to accept huge changes when the game gets a new subtitle thrown at the end or Super thrown in front of it. A silly psychological thing.

Dahbomb

Players are more willing to accept huge changes when the game gets a new subtitle thrown at the end or Super thrown in front of it. A silly psychological thing.
That's because those expansions don't come as often and when they do there are changes to many characters not just a few along with full system changes.

Like no one has a problem with the annual USF4 changes because they only come once a year (maybe twice a year) but when you start making changes monthly then you have a problem.

Hope Capcom takes some pointers from MTG Organized Play for SFV. I like how I can get some sort of official prize support and ranking points just for showing up to local weeklies .

Thulius

Skullgirls is the worst in this area. Even worse than ASW. SO many changes just for the sake of changes. I stopped playing Skullgirls for 6 months, went back, and all my BNBs now broke IPS. It's really annoying, because the thing I hate most in fighting games is figuring out and mastering BNBs. I want to learn them ASAP and then just focus on mastering the neutral and setups.

They changed one of Ms Fortune's NORMALS. Why would you mess with muscle memory like that?!

.la1n

That's because those expansions don't come as often and when they do there are changes to many characters not just a few along with full system changes.

Like no one has a problem with the annual USF4 changes because they only come once a year (maybe twice a year) but when you start making changes monthly then you have a problem.

I would really be interested in finding out how many players are okay with monthly updates. I can't imagine too many are for it.

shaowebb

Y'know...looking back I think had Daredevil been playable in MVC3 or UMVC3 they would have probably made him their equivalent of Yatterman-1 with those thrown corded sticks of his.

Disjointed hitboxes for days. Course I would miss having a yatterman moveset without a personality like this...
T0WPnPW.gif

Dahbomb

I would really be interested in finding out how many players are okay with monthly updates. I can't imagine too many are for it.
If it's on a regular schedule and you know it's coming... people would generally be fine with it especially if the changes aren't too big. Mostly bug fixes and stuff.

CurlyW

Today I learned that Chicago is east coast.

Also I highly doubt that anybody at Iron Galaxy was able to dictate which tournaments Microsoft put the money towards. Any past drama should be irrelevant in this instance.

And there's still $25k to be announced, right?

Shackzam

Also I highly doubt that anybody at Iron Galaxy was able to dictate which tournaments Microsoft put the money towards. Any past drama should be irrelevant in this instance.

Is it? I live here and I didn't think it was east coast

Shouta

Easier to lump Chicago with the East Coast because of distance. lol Honestly though, the Midwest name for the region Illinois is a part of is bizarre to me. D=

Dahbomb

Where do you think Microsoft gets information about the various FGC events? You don't think Microsoft asks Iron Galaxy for input as to which events are worth putting money into?

Xevren

Illinois as east coast is weird, but then again I remember when people in the OT considered Missouri the south for some odd reason so I don't know what to think anymore.

Dlent

Good news for you guys then, because there won't be any significant changes after Robo Fortune gets added to console(should be before EVO?).

Skilletor

I guess I'm just different. I don't mind change, especially if it's positive in the long run.

I don't mind change, but I do mind needless change. I think constant patches dissuade players from learning and ultimately develop a culture of players bitching about strategies/moves/tactics because they know they'll be heard instead of learning how to deal with it. I think it's damaging in the long run.

Shackzam

Good news for you guys then, because there won't be any significant changes after Robo Fortune gets added to console(should be before EVO?).
Cool I've been enjoying playing her in the beta. Glad I don't have to adjust to much when she actually comes out. When the hell is the vita/ps4 version?

I guess I'm just different. I don't mind change, especially if it's positive in the long run.
Nothing wrong with change, but surely you can see how foundational changes on a time scale where people are still in the middle of working on their time investments can burn people.

Shouta

Now that I think about it, we get this over here too. Everyone says West coast and then only refers to California. LA is actually the Southwest region of the country, lol. WA and OR are never West to folks, it's Northwest, which is obviously true but still, lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Now that I think about it, we get this over here too. Everyone says West coast and then only refers to California. LA is actually the Southwest region of the country, lol. WA and OR are never West to folks, it's Northwest, which is obviously true but still, lol.
That's why I just say Cali

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Anyone here going to CEO?

wii_u_tatsunoko_vs_capcom_2_boxart_by_machriderz-d5g6q9e.png

Hey one can dream :p

Don't you do this to me!
uMW3dcp.png

You'll get a "HD" remaster sold digitially for $14.99 with junk net code and you'll like it mister!

Captroll completed.

The tears jar will be filled soon with Dahbombs eye fluids-Combofiend laugh.

Stop, please, we don't need any funny ideas for Capcom to read as what the fanbase wants.

Nope actually you got it 100% correct. Because no the 90s weren't that varied in style. Nor the 80s, or today. Usually there is one dominant trend in terms of art style, depending on whats popular and how prolific some studious are.

Lol, the boobs when trying to make pecs.

Top Bottom