• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

Beckx

Honestly though, the Midwest name for the region Illinois is a part of is bizarre to me. D=

There's a bit of old New Yorker art describing the perspective from the East coast - the US, looking from the perspective of New York City out to the horizon, where the west coast is the horizon. Chicago is "close" to the east coast stuff, but still a bit less relevant. Then, there's a wide stretch of nothing until you hit the major CA cities.

So a guy that hosts locals near me that I've been going by often to get in some good offline games is having Justin Wong and possibly Kbrad/Noel over tomorrow.

Gonna finally get that runback against his Rose

played so bad smh

Crocodile

Wait Jebailey works for Iron Galaxy now? When did that happen? Boy I've been out of the loop :p

Skullgirls is the worst in this area. Even worse than ASW. SO many changes just for the sake of changes. I stopped playing Skullgirls for 6 months, went back, and all my BNBs now broke IPS. It's really annoying, because the thing I hate most in fighting games is figuring out and mastering BNBs. I want to learn them ASAP and then just focus on mastering the neutral and setups.

I am okay with balance changes, but it should never be anything that makes me relearn my character. I should never have to sit in training mode for hours just because of a patch (obvious exception: an infinite is removed). It makes me feel like I waste my time learning things when they don't stay relevant. If you have to change something like a combo system, change it once a year max, and make the changes as small as possible.

I know Smash 4 has had very few changes in its patches so far, but I adore that. For most characters, the only change has been % damage done by an attack, which can increase or decrease their viability without changing how the character plays. I wouldn't mind drastic changes to a few Smash 4 characters, but I respect how minor the adjustments have been so far - just frame data and % damage. Sheik could use some frame data adjustments... :p

The retail game changes very infrequently. The Beta is well.......a Beta. That's the place for experimentation and community feedback. Aside from # of characters, the game has enough additional content and improvements that its basically a sequel of itself at this point. I'm not sure its fair to expect BnBs to be the same between like SFII and SFIII. I'm certainly a scrub tier player but I think the Beta had a very positive effect on the retail game and that's why I'm glad Street Fighter V is having a Beta too (especially since it might not get an Arcade run through to knock out the obvious first-pass balance problems). A Smash Beta would be amazing too - I really wish the competitive community were able to give more feedback towards that game - it can only improve it (though I still very much enjoy it as is).

Busaiku

If there were a new Tatsunoko vs Capcom, I doubt PTX would be back.
It'd be replaced with Rathalos/Rathian or something.

Thulius

Aside from # of characters, the game has enough additional content and improvements that its basically a sequel of itself at this point. I'm not sure its fair to expect BnBs to be the same between like SFII and SFIII.

This comparison doesn't really hold up because I can still play SF2. When I buy a fighting game and learn a character, yeah typically I think it's fair to expect that I can pop it in 6 months later and play the same character without making significant adjustments.

Major changes aren't inherently good or bad, but I hate relearning something I've previously put time into. There's nothing fun about randomly having my launch button changed and spending time unlearning muscle memory I've already built up.

Beckx

I had to google who Li Long is. Some old-ass man with nunchucks? FOH. Maxi > Methuselah.

iIvHjeSpGSUfh.png

You have horrible opinions. Methuselah? Beef, what have you been googling? Li Long is badass.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163829917]How do you think I feel as a Hwang/Assassin main?[/QUOTE]

Hwang at least got close to Maxi's vote level. These poll responses are ass.

Crocodile

This comparison doesn't really hold up because I can still play SF2. When I buy a fighting game and learn a character, yeah typically I think it's fair to expect that I can pop it in 6 months later and play the same character without making significant adjustments.

Major changes aren't inherently good or bad, but I hate relearning something I've previously put time into. There's nothing fun about randomly having my launch button changed and spending time unlearning muscle memory I've already built up.

Fair. I can understand the frustration but I don't think it should be off the table if it results in a better product. In my analogy, "SFIII" is strictly better than "SFII" (whereas IRL neither ST nor 3S are strictly better or worse than each other).

Onemic

Wait Jebailey works for Iron Galaxy now? When did that happen? Boy I've been out of the loop :p

The retail game changes very infrequently. The Beta is well.......a Beta. That's the place for experimentation and community feedback. Aside from # of characters, the game has enough additional content and improvements that its basically a sequel of itself at this point. I'm not sure its fair to expect BnBs to be the same between like SFII and SFIII. I'm certainly a scrub tier player but I think the Beta had a very positive effect on the retail game and that's why I'm glad Street Fighter V is having a Beta too (especially since it might not get an Arcade run through to knock out the obvious first-pass balance problems). A Smash Beta would be amazing too - I really wish the competitive community were able to give more feedback towards that game - it can only improve it (though I still very much enjoy it as is).

There's an SFV beta? How do you become eligible?

Owning 5 versions of SF4(soon to be 6) should make me automatically eligible lol

Are you down to travel to buck town? (PM me)

I was like "No way he blocks this shi-
mjcry1.png
"

Sauga?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So a guy that hosts locals near me that I've been going by often to get in some good offline games is having Justin Wong and possibly Kbrad/Noel over tomorrow.

Gonna finally get that runback against his Rose

played so bad smh

Bruh, those drops and that spacing on the mallet smash ruined you lol. You could definitely beat his Rose but I think the Rufus match up would be even worse for you. Pressure for days.

Edit:

lol man, that slide was your death sentence.

Who where can I come?

Yo Vulva, you down to beat my ass tonight?

Onemic

Bruh, those drops and that spacing on the mallet smash ruined you lol. You could definitely beat his Rose but I think the Rufus match up would be even worse for you. Pressure for days.

This dude right here. Totally ditched on me that last time. I see you, Yams

Brampton

I was throwing a lot of slides on his wakeup because vs Rose a slide on her wakeup will beat her backdash, ex spiral and U2 on wakeup lol.

on block tho?
mjcry1.png

Not to mention dropped links and stuff. We've played a couple times on XBL.. I think I've won once or twice.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
This dude right here. Totally ditched on me that last time. I see you, Yams

I invited you lol. Smedwicks, GB, Last Standing Emperor (a local from Canada) and maybe one more (don't remember sorry) joined in. Hell, I was playing with Anne too before the lobby, we down tonight if you wanna play.

I was throwing a lot of slides on his wakeup because vs Rose a slide on her wakeup will beat her backdash, ex spiral and U2 on wakeup lol.

on block tho?
mjcry1.png

Not to mention dropped links and stuff. We've played a couple times on XBL.. I think I've won once or twice.

Is it possible to use the slide as a meaty setup? I've seen Cammy do it with hers but it is Cammy lol. Also, wouldn't it be safer to just save meter and use ex mallet smash on wakeup on Justin since he rarely backdashed? I don't know if ex spiral beats it but you can try that since a lot of Elena players love going low.

what was with those twitchy ass uppercuts?
3f DP punishes a lot of pseudo safe spirals on block.. unless they're perfectly spaced
mjcry1.png

Is it possible to use the slide as a meaty setup? I've seen Cammy do it with hers but it is Cammy lol. Also, wouldn't it be safer to just save meter and use ex mallet smash on wakeup on Justin since he rarely backdashed? I don't know if ex spiral beats it but you can try that since a lot of Elena players love going low.
I could try option select the backdash with slide but I think its too slow. Can't get a read on him within the two rounds, too short.

Tripon

So a couple of Smash TOs put together a poll to help get the discussion started on a unified Smash 4 poll. It got over 3K responses. Now the poll wasn't the best and could use refinement, but it already had a good number of responses. A Smashboard writer saw it, decided to refine it and then release his own with all the questions and answered copied verbatim with grammar fixes and some of his own questions added to his own. And he didn't credit the original poll or authors. When called on it, he's saying he's quiting Smash 4 writing because he's being 'attacked'. Sigh, lol Smashboards.

So a couple of Smash TOs put together a poll to help get the discussion started on a unified Smash 4 poll. It got over 3K responses. Now the poll wasn't the best and could use refinement, but it already had a good number of responses. A Smashboard writer saw it, decided to refine it and then release his own with all the questions and answered copied verbatim with grammar fixes and some of his own questions added to his own. And he didn't credit the original poll or authors. When called on it, he's saying he's quoting Smash 4 writing because he's being 'attacked'. Sigh, lol Smashboards.

Unified Smash 4? I don't know much about Smash, so is this something other than melee vs smash 4?

Tripon

Unified Smash 4? I don't know much about Smash, so is this something other than melee vs smash 4?
I mean a unified releset for Smash 4.

For a community that can't even decide customs vs no customs, 3 stock or 2 stock, even the amount of time for matches, it is important.

No this is about the Smash 4 community deciding on a common ruleset (i.e. 2 stocks vs 3 stocks, customs/no customs, stagelists, etc.).

although to be perfectly honest, it's not a bad thing for different tournaments to have different rulesets...if not for the pressure to copy the biggest tournaments that's so pervasive (i.e. if Nintendo had a CPT-like system, with several designated "majors" with different rulesets, TOs wouldn't copy one ruleset like for Apex/Evo)

Shouta

Gilty and I had a pretty good conversation at NWM at how terrible everyone on the coasts are at US Geography. Illinois is the Midwest; hell, Pittsburgh is almost considered the Midwest. West Coast = Seattle to San Diego, Southwest would be AZ, Nevada, etc.

Y'all need to take a geography class again. :p

Well, it's arbitrary for one thing, but our naming scheme is fucked if anything. That's because when these names began to take root, the US was still heavily focused on the east coast, I believe. That's the only way it makes any sense for Illinois to be the Midwest and SoCal not to be a part of the Southwest, lol.

thehadou

Neo Member
Jebailey, Keits and big e/shinblanka have not been feeling each other for a hot minute. This goes back further than killer instinct. They have been at odds for a long time.

Would I have said it in public? Not really. Just like how Jebailey and Keits would probably want to say something but they can't considering they work for iron Galaxy.

However it certainly doesn't surprise me that combo breaker and CEO are getting all the ki bread knowing who runs what. Lol. I would have still tried to handle it in private though. I don't blame e for feeling salty because ki at events is pretty much tumbleweed but big e was getting decent numbers. Easy to see why he feels like he got shit on knowing that.

Hopefully they talk it out and something comes of it. Both people work hard, I know e and Jebailey/Keits have never liked each other at all but yeah..no one wins in this situation. Illuminati getting real now In 2015 lol.

Just to avoid assumptions breeding unnecessary misinformation, I had to negotiate with Microsoft directly for Combo Breaker's partnership. Sign a litany of partnership agreements and NDAs, etc. Iron Galaxy and their employees have nothing to do with what Microsoft is doing funds wise (even if thats hard to believe for some).

My promoting of KI as a big deal to me and the event got their attention via the KI community managers, who I'd been reaching out to for the better part of a year through various channels.

I'm not claiming to be more or less deserving than any other event (and truthfully wish everyone got big promotable opportunities), but is it really that surprising that the KI branded tournament with a Top 16 EVO placing KI player serving as its event organizer wound up working with the KI team at Microsoft?

Shouta

Conspiracy theories are way more interesting though.

But having a Top 16 placer serving as an event organizer helps A LOT. In fact, I think that's the reason why ArcSys did an event at Sakuracon this year for Blazblue instead of another big anime convention. It's because we have multiple Evo Top 8 and Champions in the game up here. Top players can be pretty good for promoting stuff. =P

Top Bottom