• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

Marn was skilled though. It would be a different story if some nutcase new player was winning by doing random shit.

I did my best to play TvC online back in the day but it was just impossible for me. I couldn't do diddly. I have a feeling the online capabilities of the Wii sucked ass for this sort of thing.

I think people have been working on netplay for TvC.

Wii online play is still working if you play through Wiimfi, although most people are still just playing Mario Kart Wii. if anyone wants to run TvC though i'm down, i'm ass at that game though. you can even play online with Wii/Wii U consoles while using Dolphin, it's pretty godlike.

More people like Maxi than Li Long.

I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.

still breaks my heart that they were brought back for Soul Calibur 3 Arcade Edition, and then dropped again in SC4/SC5

Shouta

Just one more way the thirteen colonies shaped US culture, I can see that.

More or less. For settlers heading west back in the day Illinois and those other stats just before the Great Plains was their last spot to heavily supply on their trip west. Their "midpoint" more or less. That's why it was called the Midwest.

At least, that's how I like to believe the name came into being. =P

3f DP punishes a lot of pseudo safe spirals on block.. unless they're perfectly spaced
mjcry1.png

I could try option select the backdash with slide but I think its too slow. Can't get a read on him within the two rounds, too short.

isnt elena's dp 4 frames on ex?

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
Just to avoid assumptions breeding unnecessary misinformation, I had to negotiate with Microsoft directly for Combo Breaker's partnership. Sign a litany of partnership agreements and NDAs, etc. Iron Galaxy and their employees have nothing to do with what Microsoft is doing funds wise (even if thats hard to believe for some).

My promoting of KI as a big deal to me and the event got their attention via the KI community managers, who I'd been reaching out to for the better part of a year through various channels.

I'm not claiming to be more or less deserving than any other event (and truthfully wish everyone got big promotable opportunities), but is it really that surprising that the KI branded tournament with a Top 16 EVO placing KI player serving as its event organizer wound up working with the KI team at Microsoft?

Oh yeah of course. I understand that you were explaining that to everyone else (not so much to me) b/c I already knew that. It's always a good thing to have someone that is passionate about said game promoting said game at a tournament, that's for sure!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Well, it's arbitrary for one thing, but our naming scheme is fucked if anything. That's because when these names began to take root, the US was still heavily focused on the east coast, I believe. That's the only way it makes any sense for Illinois to be the Midwest and SoCal not to be a part of the Southwest, lol.

More or less. For settlers heading west back in the day Illinois and those other stats just before the Great Plains was their last spot to heavily supply on their trip west. Their "midpoint" more or less. That's why it was called the Midwest.

At least, that's how I like to believe the name came into being. =P

That's my assumption as well. Illinois as the Midwest makes sense when you factor in that the naming happened during the era of the Louisiana Purchase. :D Also; mountain ranges (Appalachians, Rockies) and the Mississippi did a lot of "natural" dividing for the USA.

Rhapsody

Banned
god damn lol, this statement is so true. only reason I got decent at marvel, even though i got beat 90% of the time as a beginner, is because i kept on going and practiced. best way to get good.

Hey, you got to know math and formulas if you want to be the best at idolmaster.

Kimosabae

Banned
I agree with Beef on something.

Superfluids course through Hell's River Stix, while the Coca Cola Polar Bears skate circles around Satan at the Cocytus.

It has begun.

Beckx

I agree with Beef on something.

Superfluids course through Hell's River Stix, while the Coca Cola Polar Bears skate circles around Satan at the Cocytus.

It has begun.

I sorta feel like this means I won.

It's sweet you guys finally bonded over Bubba Nunchuk though.

ShinMaruku

Post. That thread is so full of defeatism I need a vaccine.
Vaccines are preventative and are not cures. :p

so much of the jp vf scene is well into their 30's and 40's. "talent" is overvalued, practice is undervalued.
Blame our popular culture and the natural human impulse to avoid what is hard. It's why those who keep at it are rare, it's less about ability (Although it can help them in that it makes it a bit easier) and more about the rare individual that will push through something for it's own reward. Most people talk bullshit about "It's it's own reward" but you take out incentives and they drop out.

That's my assumption as well. Illinois as the Midwest makes sense when you factor in that the naming happened during the era of the Louisiana Purchase. :D Also; mountain ranges (Appalachians, Rockies) and the Mississippi did a lot of "natural" dividing for the USA.

It is also a outgrowth of the politics of the age and the Civil War. Why So Cal is not considered southwest? Culturally distinct as a result of who moved there in the beginning and the fact that it was a state for around 10 years before the civil war where most of the geographical naming conventions came into being.

Onemic

Vaccines are preventative and are not cures. :p

Blame our popular culture and the natural human impulse to avoid what is hard. It's why those who keep at it are rare, it's less about ability (Although it can help them in that it makes it a bit easier) and more about the rare individual that will push through something for it's own reward. Most people talk bullshit about "It's it's own reward" but you take out incentives and they drop out.

I thought you agreed with the dude in that thread?

ShinMaruku

I thought you agreed with the dude in that thread?

My position is complex. I think there are points where both sides have merit. Shit in life is never simple. Some people have the mind to naturally go into the fighting games and that makes when they meet a challenge they can get driven further into it.

People have different thresholds. If somebody does not have the mind set for a fighting game nor the personality, they will never go into what people say makes it so endearing. That is part of the reason I will never say "Any yahoo can get top 8" Do they have the capability? Arguably but potential and what happens in fact are two different things.

talent is nonexistent unless you're talking about height or something physical like that

does anyone know of a stick builder that doesn't take forever to get in contact with?

sikvod00

Banned
talent is nonexistent unless you're talking about height or something physical like that

does anyone know of a stick builder that doesn't take forever to get in contact with?
heh. you often hear commentators and others say that this or that player is talented at fighting games. now they could just be meaning to say they're really good (which is not the same thing). lots of people conflate the two. but i always assumed they meant the person has a natural aptitude and break down games very quickly. justin is the poster boy for this. fchamp would be considered the hard-worker.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
heh. you often hear commentators and others say that this or that player is talented at fighting games. now they could just be meaning to say they're really good (which is not the same thing). lots of people conflate the two. but i always assumed they meant the person has a natural aptitude and break down games very quickly. justin is the poster boy for this. fchamp would be considered the hard-worker.

I find it funny with Justin being the poster boy since he said he wasn't that good of a student but after watching GTO, he got straight A's.

Ayy yo fuck Idolmaster... that's all I have to say on the matter.

SnLQY42.png

zlatko

Banned
I can't get into these ESL matches. 10K viewers really?

Boring commentators, LONG AS HELL wait between matches, and generally just one guy steam rolling his opponent. Very little back and forth.

Spooky sitting at 1K? Man he should consider swapping to a different day just to rack up more views because he deserves it.

I can't get into these ESL matches. 10K viewers really?

Boring commentators, LONG AS HELL wait between matches, and generally just one guy steam rolling his opponent. Very little back and forth.

Spooky sitting at 1K? Man he should consider swapping to a different day just to rack up more views because he deserves it.

I think it's up to Henry Cen when the tournament happens.

Tripon

Random thought, people would say MKX would be hella anime if you slap a new name on it developed by a random Japanese company.

shaowebb

If there were a new Tatsunoko vs Capcom, I doubt PTX would be back.
It'd be replaced with Rathalos/Rathian or something.

I like this idea. Though I never really cared for giants. I always thought they should be sub bosses or for seperate mode "funsies". I still remember doing PTX throw into the corner regrab throw forever though lol. Those dudes should be for heroes/heralds mode only.

CeEAdRu.gif

The fact that they count damage in billions is amazing

I always loved this little touch as well. So fun to see 24.8 BILLION damage when you did a combo as Roll :D

ShinMaruku

Most of the time talent is talked about it's a physical trait yes.
But you can also say talent is picking up things faster than the normal person does. Most of the time it's motivation more than anything. Some people will never have the motivation to grind through the games if their threshold is too low.

However in certain circumstances I will always push back against the idea of all you need is effort in other endeavors, it's never so simple.

As to the stick thing.

I think each of them have a bit of a backlog.

Most of the time talent is talked about it's a physical trait yes.
no, most of the time it's people treating some skill as if it were a physical trait that the person was lucky to be born with

But you can also say talent is picking up things faster than the normal person does.
nah, that's a skill honed through experience

Most of the time it's motivation more than anything. Some people will never have the motivation to grind through the games if their threshold is too low.
motivation is also a skill, not a talent

However in certain circumstances I will always push back against the idea of all you need is effort in other endeavors, it's never so simple.
i agree that it's not that simple
the idea shouldn't be "all you need is effort" but "if you put forth the effort, you can see results"
along with effort, you also need to actually be focused on improving and the proper feedback to enable you to improve
just playing fighting games a lot isn't going to make you godlike at them, but if you decide to be godlike at them and play a lot with that in mind, you'll improve

there's no reason to talk about talent when discussing fighting games

Top Bottom