• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

dat alstein post . . .

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about articles like this?

I agree that a lot of people who talk about talent in fighting games are misguided though.

it's kinda weird they've got a predictive test and know why one group fails, but don't think to find a way to solve the problem. the problem seems to be in the way one group thinks. you can certainly teach people to think a certain way about problems

Dahbomb

...This is a loss I can't handle
Here's an interesting factoid that will shock you to your core.

The original plan for TACs in MVC3 wasn't the current system at all. It was a different system completely where you use up 1 bar to tag into your partner. You couldn't break it (so there was no silly guessing game) but the combo afterwards followed hit stun scaling proper (unlike the current TAC hit stun scaling which is reset until you touch the floor) so it was basically like doing a tag switch combo only it costed 1 more meter. So it was fair because even though you could switch to a heavy hitter it may not be meter efficient as you were investing a meter just to switch.

You wanna know how I know this? That system of TAC is already in the game and you can hack the game to follow that system of TAC! And it's 100x better than the current system. I am pretty sure there's a video out there of it, only thing is that the TAC switch that happens looks a bit janky because it's not obviously polished.

The original plan for TACs in MVC3 wasn't the current system at all. It was a different system completely where you use up 1 bar to tag into your partner. You couldn't break it (so there was no silly guessing game) but the combo afterwards followed hit stun scaling proper (unlike the current TAC hit stun scaling which is reset until you touch the floor) so it was basically like doing a tag switch combo only it costed 1 more meter. So it was fair because even though you could switch to a heavy hitter it may not be meter efficient as you were investing a meter just to switch.

You wanna know how I know this? That system of TAC is already in the game and you can hack the game to follow that system of TAC. And it's 100x better than the current system. I am pretty sure there's a video out there of it, only thing is that the TAC switch that happens looks a bit janky because it's not obviously polished.

Nah I already remember hearing about this.

You wanna know how I know this? That system of TAC is already in the game and you can hack the game to follow that system of TAC! And it's 100x better than the current system. I am pretty sure there's a video out there of it, only thing is that the TAC switch that happens looks a bit janky because it's not obviously polished.

So what you're saying is we could've had TvC VARs but got stuck with TACs instead for no good reason then

Dahbomb

So what you're saying is we could've had TvC VARs but got stuck with TACs instead for no good reason then
Pretty much. They wanted to do something different with this game compared to TvC but they ended up with something far worse.

It's pretty much like the whole non universal air dashes for MvC. That is something that was actually good for the game because having to fight against characters like Wolverine and Vergil with air dashes would've been stupid.

Seyavesh

Fun fact: UMvC3 debug mode had an option to turn on combo damage counter similar to this. Wish they would have made it default ;(

why

also can you reveal other neat stuff about debug mode?
i love hearing about that kinda stuff, especially interested for a game i've put so much time into

NEO0MJ

so much of the jp vf scene is well into their 30's and 40's. "talent" is overvalued, practice is undervalued.

I think that just means that the fanbase for that game will be gone soon.

Well, at least your situation is better than HxH fans...

;__;

My friend wanted me to get into HxH but after Berserk I swore off any ongoing manga with no end in sight.

petghost

Banned
Man I really wish ggpo would work on incorporating new emulators. How wonderful would the world be if we could play mvc2, cvs2 and ggxxac over amazing rollback netcode.

When you look at games like vsav and even st whose us scene probably wouldn't exist without ggpo it makes me wonder if that could lead to a resurgence of some kind for Naomi games.

ShinMaruku

i agree that it's not that simple
the idea shouldn't be "all you need is effort" but "if you put forth the effort, you can see results"
along with effort, you also need to actually be focused on improving and the proper feedback to enable you to improve
just playing fighting games a lot isn't going to make you godlike at them, but if you decide to be godlike at them and play a lot with that in mind, you'll improve

[/QUOTE
I think this part should really be taken to heart. It's not just playing a shit ton of games. I spend 4 months trying to boot camp sf4, I got no where. But I had somebody who gave me a few pointers and I seen results.

There are quite a few misconceptions about fighting games and the community does not help on some of them. Which is almost understandable due to lack of tact but really it's all managing expectations and and the developers have failed in that regard.

Beckx

I think that just means that the fanbase for that game will be gone soon.

My friend wanted me to get into HxH but after Berserk I swore off any ongoing manga with no end in sight.

HxH reached a conclusion to its major arc and was just starting a new one when it paused, it's a great time to jump in.

FSLink

Banned
Fun fact: UMvC3 debug mode had an option to turn on combo damage counter similar to this. Wish they would have made it default ;(

Yeah...I think I remember seeing old demo build videos with it on?

That and the TAC changes are pretty tragic. :(

Also I do agree the universal air dash thing was a good thing in general, but man Ryu with an airdash is so fun. They should have let him keep his.

MechaX

All this talk about TvC makes me want to dig it out and play it again.

I couldn't play Tekkaman Blade worth shit, but that didn't stop him from being my favorite character in the game by far. Blaster Mode Omni-Directional Voltekka too OP.

FSLink

Banned
A TvC2 on XB1/PS4 would be really welcomed especially with a new Mahvel game not looking likely anytime soon. :(

The Tatsunoko cast all have some really cool movesets. Yatterman-2 is the best.

Sayad

HxH reached a conclusion to its major arc and was just starting a new one when it paused, it's a great time to jump in.
This, my post was a bit of a hyperbole, there's no crazy Casca waiting to be healed or an unfinished revenge story that seems impossible in HxH. I didn't touch the new arc and the last complete arc is good enough as a series end. The wait for Berserk is way more painful.

Don't miss on HxH just because it'll never end. :)

Gamerbee said that Razer is going to announce a new pro gamer. Looks like they're going to do a kumite at the new razer store in Taiwan.

Beckx

Please release a sequel or remake capcom.

They don't have the Tatsunoko license anymore either.

It's too bad. Now that Casshern, Gatchaman and Yatterman have all had modern shows it would be great to see more games, but unfortunately all that's in the pipe is a Japan exclusive, Xbox One exclusive (!) base building game with old Gatchaman and Speed Racer.

(Yatterman in particular would be cool b/c of how it reverses the trope and makes the Yattermen the bad guys & the new Doronjo the hero.)

shaowebb

Didn't TvC sell better than expectations? Sequel pls.

Yes it did. What killed it before was the console it was on and the timing IMO. It was doing VERY well for a game where half the roster was largely unfamiliar to the west. That freshness of roster is honestly one of the game's strong points in my eyes. It felt like a whole new roster and experience because so little had been a character before it whose strategies you could fall back on.

How can anyone hate KARAS?

THIS.

Cb2eIRx.jpg

That dude had a teleport for his front dash, great pokes, a counter, one of the best uppercuts I've ever seen in a fighter and a whole string of specials that could cancel into other unique specials. His combos were stylish as fuck and some of his stuff even got yanked to help create Vergil later because it was just that good.

Just check out this segment of one of his combos.

B6S1jnn.gif

Bizazedo

Yes it did. What killed it before was the console it was on and the timing IMO. It was doing VERY well for a game where half the roster was largely unfamiliar to the west. That freshness of roster is honestly one of the game's strong points in my eyes. It felt like a whole new roster and experience because so little had been a character before it whose strategies you could fall back on.
To an extent. It's a separate argument, but I really do think fresh / new roster is more applicable to hardcores on GAF than a commoner. As a young punk, I despised the lack of recognizable faces in SF3.

Here's something fun from the folks playing TvC on Dolphin.

HD Tatsunoko vs Capcom footage at 60fps with shader options.

We need this in our lives. Please release a sequel or remake capcom.

I play that guy from time to time on dolphin netplay. He is really good he bodied me the last set we played. We've been looking for more people to play with we have a steam group
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TvCUAS

If you got a pc that can run tvc on dolphin please join. Here is how to set it up.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/188354/dolphin-netplay-setup-guide#latest

Top Bottom