• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

Since Nintendo Wi-Fi connection has been end-of-life'd, is Dolphin the only way to play TvC online nowadays?

I don't know if its the only way but I'm pretty sure its the best way to play it. The online play is pretty damn smooth. I have no problems doing my combos or reacting to my opponent at all.

smurfx

get some go again
Here's an interesting factoid that will shock you to your core.

The original plan for TACs in MVC3 wasn't the current system at all. It was a different system completely where you use up 1 bar to tag into your partner. You couldn't break it (so there was no silly guessing game) but the combo afterwards followed hit stun scaling proper (unlike the current TAC hit stun scaling which is reset until you touch the floor) so it was basically like doing a tag switch combo only it costed 1 more meter. So it was fair because even though you could switch to a heavy hitter it may not be meter efficient as you were investing a meter just to switch.

You wanna know how I know this? That system of TAC is already in the game and you can hack the game to follow that system of TAC! And it's 100x better than the current system. I am pretty sure there's a video out there of it, only thing is that the TAC switch that happens looks a bit janky because it's not obviously polished.
so basically the old TAC was what i want if there ever was a patch. good thing nitsuma was there to steer the game in the wrong direction.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Video of alpha Marvel 3 with the old TAC system and damage counters plus all character airdash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgYwHBGc7p0

Edit: TAC shown in this video wasn't the original plan that Dahbomb mentioned. This is the version where it can be broken but if broken opponent gets a character switch and continues combo.

;_; its so beautiful

Rip off. Games online on Steam is dog shit.

I'd rather play KoF12 netcode.

Its actually playable lol.

shaowebb

Since Nintendo Wi-Fi connection has been end-of-life'd, is Dolphin the only way to play TvC online nowadays?

If you have a Wii or Wii U you can use wii homebrew channel and launch your TvC disc through it using Wiimifi and it'll set you up on a custom server fans got to play.You can check the server site too in order to see whose on and check with the group listed above or on the facebook group to try and get people for matches.

Dahbomb

Video of alpha Marvel 3 with the old TAC system and damage counters plus all character airdash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgYwHBGc7p0

Edit: TAC shown in this video wasn't the original plan that Dahbomb mentioned. This is the version where it can be broken but if broken opponent gets a character switch and continues combo.
LMAO what a different game this was.

*Chris's Flamethrower has way more range than it does now.

*Dante's Jam Session assist lasts so much longer in this.

*Dante's Killer Bee didn't cause a ground bounce but a hardknockdown.

*Dante's DT animation is different.

*X factor activation animation is different. The camera sort of focuses on the character.

Tik-Tok

Hey guys,

We're trying to raise some money to send Rebelo to EVO to get some of that sweet Iron Galaxies pot bonus!
If any of you guys have seen him play or watched the grudge match earlier this week, you'll know he's a great player and super exciting to watch.

If you guys could help spread the word, or even donate yourself that would be awesome!

Here's the link

http://www.gofundme.com/rebeloevo2k15

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah. They only do 2 games at a time. Next time they have a tournament it will be 2 different games. They run their tournaments in maid cafes so there is limited space.
Does this fall under the umbrella of IdolSports? There should be AnimEVO seeding points.

fader

I know i'm a little late but I just caught up on this thread and it has highlighted to me the glaring problem with why people are so bad at fighting games and I don't think any amount of "adjusting" fighting games by developers would really fix that without completely distorting them. Just thinking about the B.S leniencies in SF4 that makes me wanna vomit had me thinking:

"did Capcom not do enough?"
"did Capcom chose the wrong things to adjust?"
"or does no amount of babystepping will help people if they don't help themselves?"

Just a little commentary i'm having to myself currently.

Dahbomb

I know i'm a little late but I just caught up on this thread and it has highlighted to me the glaring problem with why people are so bad at fighting games and I don't think any amount of "adjusting" fighting games by developers would really fix that without completely distorting them. Just thinking about the B.S leniencies in SF4 that makes me wanna vomit had me thinking:

"or does no amount of babystepping will help people if they don't help themselves?"

Wrong things to adjust. The fact that they made reversals so easy to pull off yet they still have one frame links BnB shows that they got their priorities all messed up.

The trials in SF4 are also pretty damn bad. Making players learn links/hard to execute combos first in terms of learning characters is so ridiculously backwards.

Kumubou

Does this fall under the umbrella of IdolSports? There should be AnimEVO seeding points.
I think that would fall more under Maidsports, honestly.
Wrong things to adjust. The fact that they made reversals so easy to pull off yet they still have one frame links BnB shows that they got their priorities all messed up.

The trials in SF4 are also pretty damn bad. Making players learn links/hard to execute combos first in terms of learning characters is so ridiculously backwards.
I'll never understand why Capcom/Dimps made the reversal buffer the way they did. I'll never understand

As an aside, I've always thought the issue of fighting games being hard to play limiting their success was mostly bunk (it's not like Dota 2 or CS:GO are easy to play at all), but what other games have gotten massively popular (competitively or otherwise) that have the base dexterity requirements fighting games do? I suspect that's the hang-up, more than anything. The only thing I can really think of is Starcraft.

kirblar

"We're putting in a comeback mechanic because lower-level players really like them!"

Great!

"Oh, and you can only access it by using a focus attack inside another move, dash cancelling, then doing a double motion followed by 3 punches"

....oh

sikvod00

Banned
Yeah. They only do 2 games at a time. Next time they have a tournament it will be 2 different games. They run their tournaments in maid cafes so there is limited space.
Those poor maids now have to deal with the FGC nerd BO. ;_; They ain't ready.
Unless Japanese nerds smell better than us, idk.

BadWolf

"We're putting in a comeback mechanic because lower-level players really like them!"

Great!

"Oh, and you can only access it by using a focus attack inside another move, dash cancelling, then doing a double motion followed by 3 punches"

....oh

Funny thing is that it's the same thing as breaking in Garou MOTW but they added an extra step for some reason.

In MOTW it was just:

special move > break > whatever

The link combos in SF4 also look similar to MOTW's feint combos but MOTW didn't need 1F links.

Onemic

Chose the wrong things to adjust.

making the reversal window so large only gives an incentive for newbies to latch onto bad habits. Having one frame links is a problem. Not having a tutorial of any sort is a problem and making the player rely on getting outside sources of info to improve their game is a problem. Not having any type of community/competitive element within the game itself is a problem.

I really think these 3 are the biggest factors of their fuck up, and I really dont know if they've learned from those mistakes. The only one I can see them rectifying in SFV is having a community/competitive element within the game itself a la KI or DOTA2.

I highly doubt they'll make a tutorial worth a damn, considering that almost no developer has done a good job at this yet. The lone exception to this is maybe GGXrd

Salty-assed post.

GgFie.png

Dahbomb

As an aside, I've always thought the issue of fighting games being hard to play limiting their success was mostly bunk (it's not like Dota 2 or CS:GO are easy to play at all), but what other games have gotten massively popular (competitively or otherwise) that have the base dexterity requirements fighting games do? I suspect that's the hang-up, more than anything. The only thing I can really think of is Starcraft.
Doing basic commands in CS:GO and in DOTA 2 are very easy. Like doing a QCF/ SRK motion is harder than clicking on the screen or pressing a button on the keyboard and then clicking on the screen. They have a low barrier to entry when it comes to controlling your character and doing the fundamental stuff.

After that the curve is high when it comes to getting good because you need precision, reflexes, decision making and knowledge. Same as any competitive game (except Hearthstone where you just need knowledge and decision making).

Also these games have GOOD online while being on PC.. fighting games don't have acceptable online.

Onemic

Doing basic commands in CS:GO and in DOTA 2 are very easy. Like doing a QCF/ SRK motion is harder than clicking on the screen or pressing a button on the keyboard and then clicking on the screen. They have a low barrier to entry when it comes to controlling your character and doing the fundamental stuff.

After that the curve is high when it comes to getting good because you need precision, reflexes and knowledge.

I dont really agree with this, at least for DOTA2. You could say the same for fighting games when it comes to pressing a button for a normal. CS:GO and DOTA2 are unforgiving to new players especially DOTA2 as it's a team game. To even approach DOTA2 it takes far more than just clicking the screen, you immediately have to have a sense of strategy and awareness of your surroundings or no one will want to play with you. Not to mention keyboard shortcuts so you dont waste time attacking, buying items, or any other actions you might need to do. Since FG's arent team oriented, you dont have that immediate pressure of having to be decent right off the bat.

ShinMaruku

And you people wonder why fighting games are not more popular.
Let's be fair, NOBODY knows how to make them more popular.

Salty-assed post.

zealotry in the defense of video games is no...

...I lost my train of thought

How much of the reactions been personal or are they effects of ideology?

A real big issue against fighting game popularity is nothing about the games or the developers in of themselves but in the death of free thought that is popular in society today. If you are not a free thinker you won't get into the games as well as you could. However most people are followers which adds more complexity.

I for my part have no idea how to bridge some of the divides because I am not deep within the concepts in the games and since I'm ass I can't break down what will hold people back. However because I'm an outsider maybe I can add a different point of view. Since I am not within the ideology that is present in some of the larger players I can only suggest and try to understand.

There is one thing I do know, developers don't know how to manage expectations and have no idea how better to teach their games. I don't think the core fanbase knows how to either.

Rhapsody

Banned
Here's something fun from the folks playing TvC on Dolphin.

HD Tatsunoko vs Capcom footage at 60fps with shader options.

We need this in our lives. Please release a sequel or remake capcom.

Does anyone have the list of recommended settings people used to make it look this nice on Dolphin? Also I've been having trouble finding out how to make the game widescreen on Dolphin. All the other options have been stretching it. I'm on Dolphin 4.0 though, since I was using that for Melee online, so maybe it's a version problem.

Top Bottom