• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Anne

So, since ASW is directly handling the publishing on this one, the rumors/leaks of them pushing Xrd onto the EU PSN store makes me wonder if they're directly handling that as well.

number47

Random
If there are so many smash players. Then there is PLENTY of potential tvc players.
Top five marvel players
Vs
Top five smash players
First set.marvel
Second set.smash4
Third tvc.
The smash players should choose the day.
Or marvel players just raid their scene.

ShinMaruku

its crazy that there are life long gamers and people who make a living r/t gaming who dont have a basic fucking clue about how fighting games work

like, people cry about how FGs are obtuse but I feel like it's also the genre where people just switch off their brains from the outset for some reason
Is it really that crazy? If you have no fighting game vocabulary that will overlead some people and as a coping mechanism they lock up.

that just begs the question of why and how that perception arises

it's really grating that people are so, like, proudly ignorant when it comes to fighting games
Some people are proudly ignorant about many things, either you educate them (Or more likely) ignore them.

Speaking of ignorance on DMC as well, I have a topic in the cooker for that.

Kumubou

They're probably still using the same code as ArcSys though. I doubt they're developing their own.
BlazBlue netcode was always good.
Guilty Gear XX netcode was never good.
I think it's as much of the design of the game as anything else. The GGXX games have lots of tight FRCs that are easy to screw up online and a less forgiving buffer (and no button buffering whatsoever). That would make the game less friendly to play online, even if the netcode is functionally identical otherwise.

fader

Random
If there are so many smash players. Then there is PLENTY of potential tvc players.
Top five marvel players
Vs
Top five smash players
First set.marvel
Second set.smash4
Third tvc.

smash != tvc

Dahbomb

Random
Top five marvel players
Vs
Top five smash players
First set.marvel
Second set.smash4
Third tvc.
I don't understand this post...

Top 5 Marvel players would obviously win at Marvel, lose at Smash and then most probably win at TvC. I don't know what this exhibition would accomplish.

Marvel players have the advantage of ChrisG and Justin Wong on their side.

rookiejet

They're probably still using the same code as ArcSys though. I doubt they're developing their own.
BlazBlue netcode was always good.
Guilty Gear XX netcode was never good.

I said, suck it! It was decent enough to be usable for a lot of people. "Never good" is more than a little hyperbolic.

Busaiku

I think it's as much of the design of the game as anything else. The GGXX games have lots of tight FRCs that are easy to screw up online and a less forgiving buffer (and no button buffering whatsoever). That would make the game less friendly to play online, even if the netcode is functionally identical otherwise.
Good matches were possible, but it wasn't common.
The last time I played Q, he seemed to be hitting all his FRCs pretty consistently. This is California and Texas.
But that's super rare.

But then matchmaking sucked and there were no real options for anything.

fader

Top 5 Marvel players would obviously win at Marvel, lose at Smash and then most probably win at TvC. I don't know what this exhibition would accomplish.

well... I didn't want to be as "blunt" but.. this exhibition is practically worthless...

Rhapsody

Banned
Good matches were possible, but it wasn't common.
The last time I played Q, he seemed to be hitting all his FRCs pretty consistently. This is California and Texas.
But that's super rare.

But then matchmaking sucked and there were no real options for anything.

Certain FRCs are just muscle memory though.

In the near future? Not gonna happen.

In a few years? Totally possible.

As long as the team is around, there's a good chance they'll aim for it eventually.
I know

I just think I have terrible luck with this sort of thing, so I'll just consider Robo Fortune the last stop on this line. The most I'd realistically expect are Umbrella, Dahlia and Marie DLC.
It's all in the netcode, but the FRCs could totally be eased up a bit.

number47

So what would you suggest to get more tvc players when its sales on a "bad" system. I clearly just want it back.I'll think more on it.

Dahbomb

So what would you suggest to get more tvc players when its sales on a "bad" system. I clearly just want it back.I'll think more on it.
You want TvC to return to being an active part of FGC tournaments?

Brother.... even Marvel is struggling right now and Marvel was the game that ended TvC's career instantly.

You need either developer support or huge community support. Kinda hard to get that community back when it was so small to begin with. Game has no support from the developers and the worst thing is that it's on a system with basically no other fighters which results in logistics issues. It's just too much of a hassle to bring that game back for so little returns.

The easiest way to do this is if some insane rich person announces that TvC at every fighting game tournament will have a $10K prize pot bonus and at EVO it will have a $100K prize pot. That's one way for the game to get rekindled interest and some community play. But who's going to do that? Maybe some really rich TvC fan but I don't know any one like that.

These one time exhibitions of old games don't really do much. It's like that MvC1 grand final exhibition between Arturo/Justin not too long ago... people got hyped for like a split second and then realized "wow this game is stupid... should stay in the dark ages where it belongs".

petghost

Banned
Tvc is super fun tho. Just played it for the first time a couple days a go. If super dead games had good accessible emulation and a ggpo type infrastructure we could see a lot of resurgences imo. I think vsavs American scene wouldnt exist if not for meeting those requirements.

I know tvc can be emulated quite well with dolphin so maybe this could happen.

fader

Got my Ps4 today.

Yall niggas can't run away from the young GAWD no more.

Blackule's on Ps4...

602d2b8294f47f55b73ec63eecd22015.500x290x1.jpg

RUN!

Nyoro SF

I mean I love TvC and would like nothing better for it to make a grand comeback, but what Dahbomb says is right. Without extremely high community and developer support you can't fully revive a game.

Just be glad it got its good time in the limelight before Marvel busted its way in.

Just like we should be glad we got a chance to play UMvC3 before Marvel chased the dollar signs on cheap mobile slot machines.

jerry1594

Tvc is super fun tho. Just played it for the first time a couple days a go. If super dead games had good accessible emulation and a ggpo type infrastructure we could see a lot of resurgences imo. I think vsavs American scene wouldnt exist if not for meeting those requirements.

I know tvc can be emulated quite well with dolphin so maybe this could happen.
The vsav scene on ggpo is like 15 regulars though. And I think a few people play on PS3.

Anne

No, seriously, there's less than 50 active VSav players in NA I'd bet. It's cool to say "if this could be played, it would"but ya know, the real world and all ;w;7

It gives ways for those who do wanna carry the torch to be able to keep going, but that's about it.

No, seriously, there's less than 50 active VSav players in NA I'd bet. It's cool to say "if this could be played, it would"but ya know, the real world and all ;w;7

It gives ways for those who do wanna carry the torch to be able to keep going, but that's about it.

;w;7

Yeah, that is about right if we include online. We should get government protection as an endangered species. I'd have my own guard unit as the one crazy Lei Lei pad player lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if the modding community stepped in to create their own solution.

I've never seen this actually happen with any fighting game.

Unless you count GGPO, which I don't, because it wasn't built for a particular game and is not likely to be called a "Mod" since it can be bought.

------------------------------------

BTW, if any of you are waiting for Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm, you will be rewarded soon. *wink*

Anne

If the netcode is cheeks, nothing changes. If the netcode is good, nothing changes except old players might tolerate netplay every once in awhile. Casual players will buy it I guess.

Sounds like enough people to play a game.

Kumubou

I've never seen this actually happen with any fighting game.

Unless you count GGPO, which I don't, because it wasn't built for a particular game and is not likely to be called a "Mod" since it can be bought.
Melty Blood (both AC and CC), Eternal Fighter Zero and Immaterial and Missing Power (the first Touhou fighter) all had netplay hacked into them over the years. As it turns out, all of those hacks for the games also have rollback-based netcode and have some of the best online play you can get for a fighter.

SSBM and Project M can be played online now, as well, through Dolphin. Apparently people have even set up matchmaking servers for SSBM? Crazy.

So while I wouldn't count on someone hacking in rollback-based netcode into GGAC+R, it's hardly impossible.

petghost

Banned

whatever, the actual head count of Vsav players may be small but it is still a recognizable and active scene thanks to people like rotanibor and the miracle that is ggpo/fightcade. ST would be a much less vibrant scene without the benefit of ggpo as well. many of that games top NA players are dudes that picked it up in like 2009.

im sure lots of other games could have small but healthy and active scenes if the support was there as far as emulation/online infrastructure.

on another note im psyched for +R on steam and hope some of you GG players can whoop on me a bit.

what was modded in online like for #R on pc?

El Sloth

Banned
Can anyone translate this?

ヒルダ使用感箇条書き

・空中ワープはありました。Aで相手背後、Bで相手上空、CはA玉出し版
・空中FFも同様。地上の敵には発動の際浮くので辛い。
・FFAは発生が早くなり硬直短く。上段。
・FF2Aは中段。空中可。
・グルームのエフェクトが昔に戻った?

Also, sounds like they're experimenting with Hilda having a (really expensive) reversal.

Melty Blood (both AC and CC), Eternal Fighter Zero and Immaterial and Missing Power (the first Touhou fighter) all had netplay hacked into them over the years. As it turns out, all of those hacks for the games also have rollback-based netcode and have some of the best online play you can get for a fighter.

SSBM and Project M can be played online now, as well, through Dolphin. Apparently people have even set up matchmaking servers for SSBM? Crazy.

So while I wouldn't count on someone hacking in rollback-based netcode into GGAC+R, it's hardly impossible.

So where the hell did those modders go and who wants to start a donation fund for them, lol

Infinite

Ain't dudes set up netplay for Mario Kart DD on Dolphin?

Kumubou

Can anyone translate this?

ヒルダ使用感箇条書き

・空中ワープはありました。Aで相手背後、Bで相手上空、CはA玉出し版
・空中FFも同様。地上の敵には発動の際浮くので辛い。
・FFAは発生が早くなり硬直短く。上段。
・FF2Aは中段。空中可。
・グルームのエフェクトが昔に戻った?

Also, sounds like they're experimenting with Hilda having a (really expensive) reversal.
I think Sorunega has your hook-up. Here's his translation (from another player, but still):

HILDA
Aerial Teleport added. A warps behind the opponent. B warps into midair close to the opponent.
After CS, her Teleport (421X) can't be used. You also can't CS the Teleport.
Ground Teleport > Aerial Teleport works in Vorpal only
j.FF now floats the opponent like ground version, so difficult to continue the combo from it.
FF5A has reduced start-up and recovery
FF2A is an overhead.
ICFF2A can picked by 2A alone. 2C on counter hit.
ICFF can't be followed by C Teleport (421C)
j.A increased reach?
IW (41236D) has some invincibility
Gloom's (214X) effect seems to have changed...

As for myself, I'm kind of sad that Eltnum lost invincibility on 421C... but at the same time, having those sort of reversals that can lead to huge damage is silly. So I'm OK with that as an overarching change and everyone who had that sort of EX reversal (like Linne and Gordeau) lost it. And apparently Gordeau's EX Assimilation also lost it's startup invincibility, so that might be the direction they're heading.

So where the hell did those modders go and who wants to start a donation fund for them, lol
One's busy with college, and one has basically sworn the whole thing off to the point where he gets kind of upset whenever people bring it up. SSBM and Project M run off of an emulator.

Top Bottom