• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Even though I don't really see the need for goofy pretzel motions and I'm not a fan of really tight links, I think fighting games would be boring if it was really easy to maximize every single time. Something that is hard to execute is weighted in it's risk/reward in a player's mind, if you know a really sick combo but don't feel confident in it, you might be inclined to confirm into something in your comfort zone, while another player will feel something else is their "comfort" zone when it comes to combos. If every combo that was attempted was never dropped it will lose some uncertainty and tension since everyone messes up. You can see videos of EG specials and a vid of players like Damdai failing to get a reversal 5 times in a row in ST, execution plays a part in the tension and clutch a player has. You can see Jwong lose to Flocker in 2013 EVO by dropping a storm infinite.

I actually think MVC3 plays to Viscant in a way with his playstyle. MVC3 is really free form in it's combos, with various starters and extension. Something relatively easy can still do significant damage, even if someone isn't going to optimize, in MVC3 a rather basic combo will still put the hurt on you in all levels. In many other games, the gap between confirming into combos is so large that it could seem really detrimental to someone who relies on other aspects of the game to secure victory. In Viscant's case, if he knows he can't end a combo in an optimized manner, you can see he sets himself up in a position that is favorable for him to get the next hit. He approaches the combo in a different manner than someone who could attempt max damage.

Not saying that it should be really hard to do anything in fighting games but there should be variation that appeal to all skillsets within your games. If someone can win via 2 in 1s and pokes, then that should be just as viable as someone fishing counterhit combos or someone who create setups, like Viscant does with Wesker. You also have to take in account that there will also be difficult executions combos or things in every fighting game. Even if you loosen up the inputs, and increase the buffer, the players will find something that is the new difficult thing to do relative to everything else before it.

Dahbomb

To be fair, the people in that video showed more charisma and personality in 25 minutes than Justin has in 4 years
LonelyBlandAmericantoad.gif

Dahbomb

Holy shit. How can someone even be remotely that bad on such an old game?

XFC on Cap's Cartwheel is when I closed the tab.
I have seen worse. X factor as soon as the game starts because he was basically mashing every single button still hasn't been topped as far as I am concerned.

Clawww

its crazy how everyone in the video was asking why such and such happened but if they just looked at the manual for a little bit it would of all been explained.

its crazy that there are life long gamers and people who make a living r/t gaming who dont have a basic fucking clue about how fighting games work

like, people cry about how FGs are obtuse but I feel like it's also the genre where people just switch off their brains from the outset for some reason

mbpm1

its crazy that there are life long gamers and people who make a living r/t gaming who dont have a basic fucking clue about how fighting games work

like, people cry about how FGs are obtuse but I feel like it's also the genre where people just switch off their brains from the outset for some reason

People perceive Fighting Games as "Button Mashing Quick TIme Events, but longer" I think.

They don't know shit lol

Clawww

that just begs the question of why and how that perception arises

it's really grating that people are so, like, proudly ignorant when it comes to fighting games

Dahbomb

Considering how most of the general public perceives fighting games as just button mashers sort of like how they think a DMC game is a button mashing game it's not really a surprise.

it's really grating that people are so, like, proudly ignorant when it comes to fighting games
Think about what happens when you mash buttons in a strategy game, MOBA or a shooter. You get like one action maybe a couple more but nothing too crazy. In fighting games if you mash buttons something crazy always happens especially if you start wiggling the stick. In a strategy game you won't do any damage mashing buttons, in fighting games you can especially against other scrubs so that's where that perception rises from.

mbpm1

False memories/perceptions of arcade days against bad players/cpus maybe. Or conflating Fighters with Action games like Revengeance and DMC?

idk, buttons are so satisfying to push, gotta press 'em.

The way your character handles nicely on the screen and has a lot of freedom means you just wanna do shit wildly.

Edit: What Dahbomb said.I mash my buttons and spin the stick, sometimes I get Super cancelled from DP! That was awesome, it's like a slot machine with more action! What do you mean that's not the game?

Crocodile

I mean to be fair, I don't think someone has to like or be adept at every genre of video game to call themselves a gamer.

Probably because fighting games are kind of archaic and don't really line up with what people want in terms of fun or entertainment.

Didn't see this until I already made the thread. Welp.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=164758401#post164758401

Give me some Stunfest info and I'll just add it to the OP

Players in attendance:
Daigo
Mago
Tokido
Momochi
Fuudo
Gamerbee
Xian
Luffy
Alioune
Gagapa
Valmaster
Ryan Hart
Eita
Bonchan
Ebi
Poongko
Infiltration
RF
Kazunoko
Misterio
Dark Jiewa
Santarouman
Bas
Profluke

Stream for USF4 on Sunday is Capcomfighters. No idea about the other streams as it's really confusing.

Nyoro SF

+R on steam in a week holla

Published directly by ASW too, which is kind of a big deal.

We're getting there... slooooooooooowly

I'll pick it up day one. Hope it has netplay so Q can kick my ass efficiently

Here's to Xrd on Steam in December 2017

LoL it was a great time. I think good vs evil was probably the hypest exhibition I can remember.
MvC3 is the "hypest" game I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing even if there are better versus games and the game has petered out a bit over the years. It was something you had to be there to experience.
better or worse netcode
Keep your expectations at the bottom of the marianas trench along with a UMvC3 patch, Skullgirls 2 and Darkstalkers IV.

Kumubou

We're getting there... slooooooooooowly

I'll pick it up day one. Hope it has netplay so Q can kick my ass efficiently

Here's to Xrd on Steam in December 2017
I always figured they were going to release AC+R, then UNIEL (UNIEST now?) and then GGXrd (after the next version of the game is out, of course). I guess you could throw BBCPEX on there as well, since the console version of that is out and especially if their next BB game comes out at some point between now and then.

Or maybe it's one of those things where they go slowly... until all of the sudden they go quickly.

Top Bottom