• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Anne

So LK made a little chart about fuzzy defense in anime games:

CFjOs-HUIAAB11U.jpg:large

Important to note this is a general type of OS that exists in a lot of games, this is just for ASW. It's pretty good to kind of just see it laid out in a chart for the games where it functions similarly.

Side note: with this new rule, does opening a round with a trade give both players vorpal? It's a situation that I think is really interesting (the various meta game decisions get silly quick) but is super-rare in matches.
Depends on how they decide to handle trades.

But both players having vorpal at the same time is now not out of the question. You can now have a situation where the defender wins the grid war because someone is going ham at the start of the round but then gets touched and now both players have vorpal.

Edit: Chain shift out of block stun is a valid punish option? Because then you can get stuff like defender wins grid war, chain shift, get 1st hit get vorpal, proceed to punish even harder? These situations might not come up a lot, but its a rather large change to the complexity of the game since the number of ways to get vorpal doubled and they are not mutually exclusive.

Rhapsody

Banned
And that's why I order all of my retail games online. It could be worse, at least you were not trying to buy something like [REDACTED] or [REDACTED] from GameStop.

I'm curious: why do you hate this change so much? I'm unsure myself, but I can see why developers would add a mechanic (to help push more aggression early on in rounds). Do you think it's mainly going to help already strong characters just start snowballing even harder? I'm not thrilled at the idea of Gordeau having vorpal at 99 seconds, but I think it really depends on other system/character changes overall.

Side note: with this new rule, does opening a round with a trade give both players vorpal? It's a situation that I think is really interesting (the various meta game decisions get silly quick) but is super-rare in matches.

I don't agree with first attack needing a real bonus in games too much (like P4U meter gain on first attack, but it's not that bad in that tbh). Just seems unnecessary to me.

Being ensured 10 percent damage bonus with the ability to Chain Shift so early just seems really valuable and good to me. I actually liked how the game gave both you and the player 17 seconds before deciding who gets it. I don't think it's going to ruin the game or anything like that, but I just don't see the need for momentum so early on instead of being a gradual buildup.

If it stays like this, Round 2 and 3 might be a little scary now that both characters will have meter.

Kumubou

I don't agree with first attack needing a real bonus in games too much (like P4U meter gain on first attack, but it's not that bad in that tbh). Just seems unnecessary to me.

Being ensured 10 percent damage bonus with the ability to Chain Shift so early just seems really valuable and good to me. I actually liked how the game gave both you and the player 17 seconds before deciding who gets it. I don't think it's going to ruin the game or anything like that, but I just don't see the need for momentum so early on instead of being a gradual buildup.

If it stays like this, Round 2 and 3 might be a little scary now that both characters will have meter.
I can see how it's not really needed, but they may also be thinking of it from a business perspective. If this gets more offense going early, it will then likely lead to shorter game times and higher coin drop rates (at the places the game gets played, anyway). Unless it makes offense so over the top it ends up getting players to play more defensively (like Smash 64 or XvSF), and I seriously doubt it'll do that. :p

Depends on how they decide to handle trades.

But both players having vorpal at the same time is now not out of the question. You can now have a situation where the defender wins the grid war because someone is going ham at the start of the round but then gets touched and now both players have vorpal.

Edit: Chain shift out of block stun is a valid punish option? Because then you can get stuff like defender wins grid war, chain shift, get 1st hit get vorpal, proceed to punish even harder? These situations might not come up a lot, but its a rather large change to the complexity of the game since the number of ways to get vorpal doubled and they are not mutually exclusive.
You can get double vorpal now, it's just incredibly rare as both players have to have the exact same GRD at the judgement point. It only ever happens when both players are at zero. It also depends on how they change the mechanics. Does it start the timer at round start now? Is there no GRD timer until someone gets a hit? It very well could award vorpal at first hit and then give it again 17 seconds in, as getting vorpal from landing a raw VO does not reset the timer.

Chain shift can not be used to negate blockstun, so you don't get any additional punishes on block. You can buffer it out of blockstun, so it can lead to a punish for anyone trying to stagger their blockstrings.

I go here, click Akatsuki in anticipation and ... nothing. =(
To be fair, the location test hasn't started yet -- this is all just information gleamed from the system mechanics/command information French Bread has released. I would still expect Akatsuki to be buns though, unless they do something crazy like give him ABK-esque damage. (And even then, he would still lose his 2-8 or 3-7 match-ups pretty hard.)

BadWolf

Checked out the Stunfest site and came across this:

73V82O5.png

Google translate:

Regarding KOF XIII, you wanted it, we did it! The Stunfest etSSD Gaming are pleased to present the reopening of KoF XIII tournament! In a tournament already counting as invited Misterio, and rather cruel players like MCZ.Tokido, MTK.Salimlevautour or Frionel, you'll have a chance to re-register. However we will have to be fast and hard. The first episode of the reopening will take place tomorrow (Tuesday, April 21) to clear 18pm. 8 places will be added to the ticket office Stunfest.

Misterio vs. Tokido should be good.

Kumubou

『Inaba Resident』;164738355 said:
I honestly don't know how you'd buff Akatsuki. By design, he's low-tier in this game because he wasn't meant for it.
I think there's some quality-of-life adjustments that would make things less bad, at least. Stuff like making reflecting multi-hit attacks cost only one GRD block and not one block per hit, making 6C a more viable anti-air (specifically, to be able to hit grounded assaults), making 6B either faster or safe (the fact that the move as slow as it is AND unsafe is just stupid). You could also go for hitbox adjustments on moves (they're way worse than in ABK as it is) and/or damage buffs (not going to matter if he can't get a hit, though). As a general comparable, I would be looking to make him work more like F-Miyako in MBAA or Akira in DBFC, both characters who have stubby ass normals but are high tier despite that (although the average range in those games is lower than in UNIEL).

Uraizen

Banned
To be fair, the location test hasn't started yet -- this is all just information gleamed from the system mechanics/command information French Bread has released.

Ah, that would explain it.

『Inaba Resident』;164738355 said:
I honestly don't know how you'd buff Akatsuki. By design, he's low-tier in this game because he wasn't meant for it.

Give him Seth's speed, a parry that crumples, and a fatality to break merkava and gord's neck upon touching them.

Who does he play as? Why is he so good?

I'm about to finally get back home on Friday and will fire up Smash and Witcher 3. Wii U came in Monday while I was away for work so I'm itching to play it.

I may study some of his videos if he's the "DAIGOAT" of Smash 4.
His fundamentals are off the charts, as is his knowlege of the game's intricacies. He plays a 6 month old game like he's been playing it for years, while other top players like Nairo, Ally, ESAM, M2K, etc. play the game like a top player normally would after 6 months.

El Sloth

Banned
2. Verticality (X and Y axis equally important- no other fighting has such exploration of both axes of movement)

3. Movement (tremendous speed and flexibility moving around the screen)

I've never played them, but the touhou fighting games seem to be all about verticality. 360 degree movement in the air from what I could tell

Rhapsody

Banned
Turn Akatsuki into DFC's Rentarou.

I feel like there are definitely things that can make him good though. They probably have a way better idea now.

Maybe we'll see Grove stop getting hit by gatekeeping characters/players in tourneys for UNIST.

Pappasman

Does anyone here play Melee netplay on Dolphin? Does it work well?
It works really well. I play random friendlies and ranked matches all the time. Just don't expect to be playing people from coast to coast. I'm in Seattle and can play pretty much anyone from the west coast with a pretty good connection.

xCobalt

Capcom is really waiting until the last minute to tell people whether or not USF4 for ps4 will be compatible with ps3 sticks.

Horseress

Stunfest and Combobreaker same time? Someone hold me...
Luckily multi-twitch exists!

Since Stunfest is on Europe, there's a good chance the tournaments will not be running at the same time. Probably Stunfest will end as soon as Combobreaker begins it's schedule

Anne

KaneBlueRiver vs FullSchedule FT10 Friday night at MWC (presented by KiT), Streamed by Panda.

I like FullSchedule.

Edit: Whoops

ShinMaruku

Not good enough at execution to make it despite his knowledge?

A low-tier Marvel god?

Da bes at white boy trash talk? =D

This is rather open-ended.

Yeah what's the actual question here?

With his nerve damage in one of his hands, he seems to be forever relegated to just theory fighter because of some of the obtuse execution requirments.

Don't you think with something less obtuse we'd really be getting some great matches from people like him, rather than the games limiting some people who can't do some of the more arcane stuff. Or do you think it's all in his head?

Anne

I think it just happens to be pretty shitty he has a fucked up hand :<

Gotta either work through it and start doing Lightning Legs with your face, or play theory fighter.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yeah, but does Multi-Brain exist cos mine might explode

Step your game up.

Since Stunfest is on Europe, there's a good chance the tournaments will not be running at the same time. Probably Stunfest will end as soon as Combobreaker begins it's schedule

Oh that's great, for people who don't want to sleep lol.
Luckily I wake up at 6 in the morning so I can just slob around this weekend and enjoy the madness.

KaneBlueRiver vs FullSchedule FT10 Friday night at MWC (presented by KiT), Streamed by Panda.

I like FullSchedule.

Edit: Whoops

I like FullSchedule too but KaneBlueRiver does the impossible a lot of the time.

Dahbomb

It's not in his "head" that's for sure.

Yea arbitrary high execution requirements aren't great but where do you draw the line? At some point there will be some input or combo someone in the world can't do because of a handicap no matter how easy it is for everyone else. You can't really design competitive games around that factor.

Top Bottom