• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

Horseress

If you read the Wikipedia for this anime then you are already spoiled. lol

When the anime thread started a lot of random manga readers came in there and started spoiling crap. So after that at least 2 mods started moderating spoilers for that show.

Ow, I got it. Poor ViewtifulJC

Kioshen

I found Lambda's keepaway to be more frustrating than anything. My main sparring partner used Jin, and he just kept fucking me up with ice stuff. I never felt safe enough to do anything. Bang isn't to my taste, and by the time I got to Tsubaki, who has a cool looking moveset (Nibelung Valesti!), I was burned out.

Tsubaki seems pretty straightforward to use, which is nice.
If you're ever interested in playing the game again, I'm pretty much free wins at this point.
I'm gonna hit up the OT once I've had more practice with the game.

Also this game has an excellent soundtrack.

Feel free to PM me your tag if you want gaffers to play with. I'd like to just pick some new characters every once in a while for casuals.

Currently looking for a cheap copy of BB:CSE myself so that Q can teachdestroy me while trying to get me up to speed in anime fighting games. While Karst is burned out on it, i'll probably send you two match requests when I get my hands on it.

Currently looking for a cheap copy of BB:CSE myself so that Q can teachdestroy me while trying to get me up to speed in anime fighting games. While Karst is burned out on it, i'll probably send you two match requests when I get my hands on it.
Don't you have Skullgirls? Seems like this is a good place for you to stay and you can get Phantasma when that comes out.

Kioshen

Don't you have Skullgirls? Seems like this is a good place for you to stay and you can get Phantasma when that comes out.

Yes I do and I will keep grinding this game out for sure because I really like it but it's mostly because of this post and the pms that followed. I'm really trash at high movement fighting games and I'm having a hard time wraping my head around them. I thought why not ask one of the resident "anime fg" player around here for some pointers.

Dahbomb

I am just going to leave this here...

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

OceanBlue

Number notation is ass. In what way is it easier than just writing the directions?(u,f,d,b) or qcf, qcb... etc. It just adds an unnecessary level of obusification to the notation
I thought the same thing about SF4 coming from Blazblue. Number notation made much more sense and was easier to read to me than db,f,b,db. I don't understand games with number notation for buttons like Tekken but I respect it.

I don't see why people feel so intolerant about different notations. Chances are that the communities using them have been using them for a while and it's more convenient for them. Plus, it makes transcribing Japanese combo videos almost 1-to-1. :)

I don't play it at all, and haven't for a long time. I don't have any intention of learning it in the near future, either. I might try it again when they add characters I like. Give me Nine and I'll think about jumping in.

Though ASW's style of gaming really pisses me off sometimes. Like I said two nights ago, I played P4A for the first time, and I enjoyed it. Except for that piece of shit mechanic where you get penalized for zoning. What the hell, ASW? You make a character like Elizabeth, but I'm penalized for playing her right? My opponent was using the wind daggers kid and kept air dashing at me, so I did my aerial card throw move to anti-air him. I did this like 4 times and though "I'm getting pretty good at protecting my space!" Then the game slapped sad, worried faces over my character. Good play is penalized, apparently.

Until ASW respects keepaway playstyles more, I will probably never really get into one of their games.
I know P4A is not ASW, but it might as well be. You can't tell the difference.

Dahbomb

When I went from Tekken to SC, the number notation for directional inputs didn't make much sense to me. I thought to myself "why not just use the Tekken method of writing f,f + 2 for 66B?"

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I cannot think of a villain for the FGC really. Triforce doesn't really count. He has his own way of doing things and it's not very popular amongst the crowd but he does care about the community in his own weird ass way. Same goes with Keit's best friend. Only thing I can think of is Esports people.

Numbers are better for the most part. The only time they truly confuse me are when SNK inputs are involved. No known form of communication could properly convey those motions to me.
Yes I do and I will keep grinding this game out for sure because I really like it but it's mostly because of this post and the pms that followed. I'm really trash at high movement fighting games and I'm having a hard time wraping my head around them. I thought why not ask one of the resident "anime fg" player around here for some pointers.
Okay

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You can zone with Liz and never get negative penalty. Same for Yukiko.

Same for Lambda, Same for Mu.

Negative penalty happens when you consistently keep back dashing with out doing that many other offensive actions in between.

There is a reason you see players dash forward 1 pixel then jump and instant air dash back now and then, the foward dash completely resets it. Which in the long run plays into mind games as well.

I cannot think of a villain for the FGC really. Triforce doesn't really count. He has his own way of doing things and it's not very popular amongst the crowd but he does care about the community in his own weird ass way. Same goes with Keit's best friend. Only thing I can think of is Esports people.

Only a sith deal in absolutes.

olympia

I'm just starting to "get into" fighting games, I've always been okay at them, but I never really got the tech or the terminology. I've been watching some of the weeklys and ECT V, that shit is really exciting. I really like watching Injustice, I thought Reo's Batman was amazing.

I get the notation for non-Namco games, like NR and Capcom games and things like cross up and cancels. The only think I'm not really getting is how I should be comprehending frame data. Does anybody have a link that explains it?

Also, what's the best way for getting better on a fight stick? I have a Soul Calibur IV Hori one.

Thanks in advance.

onionfrog

Sounds good Kioshen.
If you scroll down a bit on amazon, the merchant: "Printers & Toners" is still selling the LE brand new for $16 shipped.
Amazon link

When I went from Tekken to SC, the number notation for directional inputs didn't make much sense to me. I thought to myself "why not just use the Tekken method of writing f,f + 2 for 66B?"

F for forward has a different meaning in every other language other than English. I think they just want to use something more universal, as JPN/KOR/FRA use this notation too.

onionfrog

F for forward has a different meaning in every other language other than English. I think they just want to use something more universal, as JPN/KOR/FRA use this notation too.
When you explain it that way I can respect the reasoning behind it.

Feel free to PM me your tag if you want gaffers to play with. I'd like to just pick some new characters every once in a while for casuals.
I'll certainly take you up on this at some point.

Dahbomb

Other countries have different notations/characters for numbers as well.

Most games are labelled in alpha numeric values (ABCD, 1234 for attacks) so it doesn't matter.

soakrates

I think number notation works a lot better for 3D games because so many moves have diagonal inputs and numbers offer a much quicker way of notating them.

You can zone with Liz and never get negative penalty. Same for Yukiko.

Same for Lambda, Same for Mu.

Negative penalty happens when you consistently keep back dashing with out doing that many other offensive actions in between.

There is a reason you see players dash forward 1 pixel then jump and instant air dash back now and then, the foward dash completely resets it. Which in the long run plays into mind games as well.
That doesn't make it less stupid. I shouldn't be penalized for playing smart.

Also, no chip deaths is stupid, too. ASW just hates keepaway.

Kioshen

Sounds good Kioshen.
If you scroll down a bit on amazon, the merchant: "Printers & Toners" is still selling the LE brand new for $16 shipped.
Amazon link

US only unfortunately. The vendor doesn't ship up north already tried but thanks. I've ordered a copy somewhere.

Bingo. It's easier to share tech between different speaking nations since they usually have the games before. I can understand japanese tech videos for ASW games easier that way.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

There are chip deaths in every other game besides P4A. So no on that.

Faust has also always been one of the strongest GG characters. ASW doesn't hate keep away and zoning, they just don't want it to be one dimensional.

I turtle with S.Lab all day and never see negative penalties as well.

Dahbomb

I think number notation works a lot better for 3D games because so many moves have diagonal inputs and numbers offer a much quicker way of notating them.
How so? Is it easier to put in HCF (in Tekken) or 41236? Especially in Tekken where there are some moves like HCB, F + 1 + 2, in numerical notation that would be 632156 + A + B.

LegatoB

If you insist on constantly mashing backdash, try jumping, airturning, and then forward dashing away from your opponent. You really have to work at it to get Negative Penalty in P4A.

onionfrog

Faust has also always been one of the strongest GG characters. ASW doesn't hate keep away and zoning, they just don't want it to be one dimensional.

Q,
Lambda isn't going to be in BBCP, how similar is Nu-13? Because I really like Lambda's playstyle...

Yep. The game is pretty rare around these parts so the price is still hovering around 30$ca.
Those Canadian game prices... That's too bad. :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No way MK9 PC will be full price. Noooooooooooooooooooope. $40 max, I'm expecting $30, $20 for the jugular.
Better question, why is MK9 pc even a thing?

Q,
Lambda isn't going to be in BBCP, how similar is Nu-13? Because I really like Lambda's playstyle...

Half similar? Half the character is still lambda sorta. She has stance changes.

You basicly zone in Nu form, then mid combo swap to Lambda. Though you can still zone a bit in Lambda form. Her special moves properties change up depending on what mode you are in.

Rhapsody

Banned

I feel like you'll probably like GG much more than P4A. Negative Penalty rarely ever comes up, it feels like you seriously have to try.

Also, it's more of the runaway that triggers negative penalty in ASW fighters. Anything that pulls the screen away by zooming out will trigger it faster, but I think I've heard that turn around forward air dash in P4A doesn't, but I'm not positive.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Injustice on PC right now would be pretty sweet, I would start playing it regularly.
Yeah this would have made sense, a 2 year late port of a game most people consider pretty busted eh.

Also BBCP Top 30 Danisen Rankings (As of 5/23/2013)
1. Mitsurugi (Hazama) 19th Dan
2. Tetsuwo (Jin) 18th Dan
3. Isa (Taokaka) 18th Dan
4. N-Otoko (Rachel) 18th Dan
5. Uma No Hone (Valkenhayn) 18th Dan
6. Ronitta (Jin) 18th Dan
7. Fenrich (Jin) 18th Dan
8. Kaqn (Ragna) 18th Dan
9. Gentarou (v-13) 18th Dan
10. Fuse (Ragna) 17th Dan
11. Itou (Carl) 17th Dan
12. Jin Hunting Bot (Shiro) (Valkenhayn) 17th Dan
13. Ciel (Hakumen) 17th Dan
14. RYO (Relius) 17th Dan
15. Chin (Hakumen) 17th Dan
16. Daiwa (Platinum) 17th Dan
17. Dogura (Azrael) 17th Dan
18. Goro (Makoto) 17th Dan
19. Ryuusei (Jin) 17th Dan
20. Seji (?) (Taokaka) 17th Dan
21. Keba (mu-12) 17th Dan
22. Johann Pachelbel (Carl) 17th Dan
23. Noze (Hazama) 17th Dan
24. Yutta (Ragna) 17th Dan
25, Tanoshi Moudehanaika (Azrael) 16th Dan
26. Matoi (Taokaka) 16th Dan
27. Kyomusou (Hakumen) 16th Dan
28. Shachou (Ragna) 16th Dan
29. Galileo (Litchi) 16th Dan (Arc Revo Champ!)
30. Churara (Jin) 16th Dan

So much Jin :lol

soakrates

How so? Is it easier to put in HCF (in Tekken) or 41236? Especially in Tekken where there are some moves like HCB, F + 1 + 2, in numerical notation that would be 632156 + A + B.
Mostly I'm referring to moves with consecutive diagonal inputs like 33, 11, etc. There are also several moves that incorporate diagonals in uncommon ways, such as 63 or 43. Also, in SC at least, a lot of moves can be done with multiple directions. Maxi in SC can get the same move by doing 33B or 99B, for instance, so the move is often notated as 33_99B.

Numbers aren't used in every situation, though. HCB and HCF are pretty regularly used when appropriate.

Better late than never. Could get WB to take fighters more seriously on pc.
They're going to receive a response more or less proportional to their efforts on the PC which isn't much and nothing will change. When they decide to give people a timely port (at least less than six months old) that is well optimized they'll get a better response that warrants good fighting game ports on the regular.

We still have yet to see a single timely and well optimized PC port in this genre that will spark the attention of the PC audience. The ball is in ASW(LOOOOL) and Capcom's court here.

If you insist on constantly mashing backdash, try jumping, airturning, and then forward dashing away from your opponent. You really have to work at it to get Negative Penalty in P4A.
What's air turning? Remember that I played the game for the first time two nights ago. And the guy who I played against, while very patient, didn't really teach me anything I didn't ask him about.

How do you turtle with S.Lab? Try to answer in language that makes sense to someone who knows nothing at all about her.

I'm pretty sure that you can't chip kill in BB, either. That's what I was always told, and I definitely tried really hard without success. Then again, it wouldn't matter if you could kill with chip damage, since it's only goddamn 5% of the special's damage. 5%! -_-

I feel like you'll probably like GG much more than P4A. Negative Penalty rarely ever comes up, it feels like you seriously have to try.

Also, it's more of the runaway that triggers negative penalty in ASW fighters. Anything that pulls the screen away by zooming out will trigger it faster, but I think I've heard that turn around forward air dash in P4A doesn't, but I'm not positive.
With GG I think I might try to learn to play Eddie. If I get into it.

Top Bottom