• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

Dahbomb

Numbers aren't used in every situation, though. HCB and HCF are pretty regularly used when appropriate.
I know that that's why you should just use alphabets for movement too. Like for example, even for Soul Calibur you are forced to use alphabets when referring to Counter Hits, While Standing, While Running/Side Stepping... there is no numerical value you can add to notify "WS".

Rhapsody

Banned
What's air turning? Remember that I played the game for the first time two nights ago. And the guy who I played against, while very patient, didn't really teach me anything I didn't ask him about.

How do you turtle with S.Lab? Try to answer in language that makes sense to someone who knows nothing at all about her.

I'm pretty sure that you can't chip kill in BB, either. That's what I was always told, and I definitely tried really hard without success. Then again, it wouldn't matter if you could kill with chip damage, since it's only goddamn 5% of the special's damage. 5%! -_-

With GG I think I might try to learn to play Eddie. If I get into it.

Air turning is A+C in the air to make you face the other way. Used for mixups among other specific character tricks.

Chip can kill in BB (and GG). If the opponent's barrier gauge isn't depleted, they can use barrier block to negate chip.
The downsides to doing too much barrier is having the gauge depleted (so you take more damage), and you're stuck in blockstun longer when barrier blocking (but there's greater pushback on attacks)

How do you turtle with S.Lab? Try to answer in language that makes sense to someone who knows nothing at all about her.

I'm pretty sure that you can't chip kill in BB, either. That's what I was always told, and I definitely tried really hard without success. Then again, it wouldn't matter if you could kill with chip damage, since it's only goddamn 5% of the special's damage. 5%! -_-
ASW games have something better than chipping. Guard breaking opponents is absolutely hilarious.

Also, get on your PS3 and play me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
They're going to receive a response more or less proportional to their efforts on the PC which isn't much and nothing will change. When they decide to give people a timely port (at least less than six months old) that is well optimized they'll get a better response that warrants good fighting game ports on the regular.

We still have yet to see a single timely and well optimized PC port in this genre that will spark the attention of the PC audience. The ball is in ASW(LOOOOL) and Capcom's court here.

If ASW actually releases a timely port for GGXrd I'll be fucking shocked. Cause umm yeah.

You turtle with her by using the stupid red mist from the persona and her standing B and 2.B

And yeah you can kill with chip in BB I've done it, I've had it done to me. BB also has guard breaks which every character can use. *Lambda is one of the better characters at guard breaking in BBCSE actually if I remember right*

soakrates

I know that that's why you should just use alphabets for movement too. Like for example, even for Soul Calibur you are forced to use alphabets when referring to Counter Hits, While Standing, While Running/Side Stepping... there is no numerical value you can add to notify "WS".
Letters are used in situations where it makes more sense to use them. The sheer number of diagonal inputs in command lists just makes it easier to use numbers as shorthand for directions most of the time.

If ASW actually releases a timely port for GGXrd I'll be fucking shocked. Cause umm yeah.
The ball is in their court, but ASW is like that 80 year old gramma who never learned English. She has no idea where she is and all the urban youth scare her.

The things Lab Zero could do if they had half the budget of a Capcom or Namco game...

Air turning is A+C in the air to make you face the other way. Used for mixups among other specific character tricks.

Chip can kill in BB (and GG). If the opponent's barrier gauge isn't depleted, they can use barrier block to negate chip.
The downsides to doing too much barrier is having the gauge depleted (so you take more damage), and you're stuck in blockstun longer when barrier blocking (but there's greater pushback on attacks)
It never seems like it depletes fast enough. Thanks for the air turn explanation.

ASW games have something better than chipping. Guard breaking opponents is absolutely hilarious.

Also, get on your PS3 and play me.
I mained Tager because it meant I didn't have to double tap to dash (LOL) and his combos were easy. I guard break people all the time, but then they just run away while I slowly plod forward. :-(

I think guard break is a cool mechanic, though.

You turtle with her by using the stupid red mist from the persona and her standing B and 2.B

And yeah you can kill with chip in BB I've done it, I've had it done to me. BB also has guard breaks which every character can use. *Lambda is one of the better characters at guard breaking in BBCSE actually if I remember right*
Why is the rest mist stupid?

Maybe I'll play more P4A this weekend at UFGT9.

The things Lab Zero could do if they had half the budget of a Capcom or Namco game...
Design appealing characters?

CurlyW

Here they are, final pool assignments for UFGT9: http://ufgtus.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/rptmasterpooldirectory3.pdf

Turns out I had to make numerous slight adjustments--more than I expected--due to regional conflicts and some players dropping out. But it's still mostly the same. I should get an easier-to-read list of who's in what pool up somewhere shortly, as well.

EDIT: If whoever makes the tournament thread wants a list of who's in each pool and doesn't feel like cross-referencing the assignment sheet I linked above for hours, PM me and I'll get it to you.

Dahbomb

Karst should just stop this anime nonsense and get into Tekken.

No chip on block.

No air dash or air mobility whatsoever.

No good projectiles.

No "zoning" or "keep away" with special moves. Pure footsies and pokes.

No meter management.

No quirky character specific mechanics/bars/traits.

Just straight up MAN game.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'd learn Tekken, but I really need to find a place or video that eases me into the game.
It never seems like it depletes fast enough. Thanks for the air turn explanation.
I agree, but I guess that's what they were aiming for. The fastest way it depletes in BB is if you're about to be guard crushed. To prevent getting guard crushed, you lose (close to?) half of your barrier in exchange. You'll see this more in BBCP, but probably not as often as you would like.

In GG's case, there is no guard crush or barrier gauge. There's Faultless Defense to prevent yourself getting chipped but it drains your actual meter, so they can't be using it too often. By the time they're worried about getting chipped out, you'll see them hold it more which reduces a chance of a comeback if they're low on meter.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why is the rest mist stupid?
ld205_11.png

No clue :p

No chip on block.

No good projectiles.

No meter management.

Goddamn. If you remove the "no" from each of those, it's like a list of things that make up a good fighting game.

Yes, a lot of the characters in the top sixteen are definitely more appealing than many in the OG roster.

You didn't reply to my game request.
What game request? I did not notice one.

In GG's case, there is no guard crush or barrier gauge. There's Faultless Defense to prevent yourself getting chipped but it drains your actual meter, so they can't be using it too often. By the time they're worried about getting chipped out, you'll see them hold it more which reduces a chance of a comeback if they're low on meter.
I hope GG tones down how many mechanics ASW games have. :p

Holy shit, now that's an anti-air.

kirblar

You can zone with Liz and never get negative penalty. Same for Yukiko.

Same for Lambda, Same for Mu.

Negative penalty happens when you consistently keep back dashing with out doing that many other offensive actions in between.

There is a reason you see players dash forward 1 pixel then jump and instant air dash back now and then, the foward dash completely resets it. Which in the long run plays into mind games as well.
The problem is that then you just end up getting the same play patterns, but now with forward dashes required. Which is just an annoying hoop to jump through.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Goddamn. If you remove the "no" from each of those, it's like a list of things that make up a good fighting game.

So an ASW game? Kappa

The problem is that then you just end up getting the same play patterns, but now with forward dashes required. Which is just an annoying hoop to jump through.
Characters typically have something to make use of it, which is why I said mind games come into play from it.

sleepykyo

The ball is in their court, but ASW is like that 80 year old gramma who never learned English. She has no idea where she is and all the urban youth scare her.

Overspend for marginal gains?

Edit:
Solarpowered, I see your game request now. I'm not going to play right now. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night due to work. I'm going to take a nap soon. I don't think I'm in any condition to play a game like Marvel. :p Just eating some pepperoni before bed...

So an ASW game? Kappa
I think ASW makes good games. I just hate the barrier to entry and their anti-keepaway policies.

Kioshen

I think ASW makes good games. I just hate the barrier to entry and their anti-keepaway policies.

The way I see, it's more like anti-runaway policies than anti-keepaway. ASW has created some really broken keepaway characters in their lifetime. *Looking at you CT Nu-13*

Dahbomb

Some would say that IS what makes a good and honest fighting game. Remove all the bull shit and bring down the game to fundamentals, spacing, pokings, reactions and knowledge with a smidgeon of execution.

The way I see, it's more like anti-runaway policies than anti-keepaway. ASW has created some really broken keepaway characters in their lifetime. *Looking at you CT Nu-13*

As a Hakumen player, fuck Nu.
And Rachel and Arakune

She's honestly part of the reason why I'm probably skipping BBCP.

What are you being serious? LOL You know Haku has one of the best anti zoning tools right?

I was referring more to the CT matchup. It was a nightmare getting in before his new j.C, 4C, and the void.

Fighting Nu was just a big annoyance. Is CP Nu basically just Lambda or something? I haven't been keeping up with it.

kirblar

I was referring more to the CT matchup. It was a nightmare getting in before his new j.C, 4C, and the void.

Fighting Nu was just a big annoyance. Is CP Nu basically just Lambda or something? I haven't been keeping up with it.
She now stance swaps between both movesets. :)

I watched the first 30 seconds and saw nothing but rushdown play. If you have a point to make, make it!

Some would say that IS what makes a good and honest fighting game. Remove all the bull shit and bring down the game to fundamentals, spacing, pokings, reactions and knowledge with a smidgeon of execution.
It's like arguing to remove all the "bullshit" chess introduces and just go back to checkers. Then you can have those honest footsies between pieces face-to-face in the mid-field instead of crazy shit like bishops skewering rooks from afar, knights hopping over pieces, and castling. Madness, I tell you!

Runaway = keepaway. You might think I'm talking about zoning; ASW is definitely not anti-zoning, just anti-keepaway.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Do a little bit of research before losing your shit man :lol

She's a hybrid of Lambda and Nu, she's not like Nu completely though.

I watched the first 30 seconds and saw nothing but rushdown play. If you have a point to make, make it!

Dude watch the whole thing :l Wtf do you expect to gain from a single round of gameplay :lol
http://youtu.be/2-ujpAG-l70?t=6m46s but there, the matches before it are zoner heavy as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Better question, why is MK9 pc even a thing?
This is a good question indeed.

No chip on block.

No good projectiles.

No meter management.

Dear god.. I actually don't mind the mechanics of Tekken and think they're probably the best for competitive play, but when you put it this way it does seem like a calculated attempt at creating the most boring combat system ever for a fighting game.

Dude watch the whole thing :l Wtf do you expect to gain from a single round of gameplay :lol
http://youtu.be/2-ujpAG-l70?t=6m46s but there, the matches before it are zoner heavy as well.
I'm not trying to gain anything, you're trying to convince me of something, yah?

And I still see primarily rushdown. She just tries to take the last bit of health off with projectiles after having already established a wall of satellites.

Plus her outfit is goddamn tacky. Dress her in something more tasteful, ASW.

I watched the Tager video, and just thought "lol Tager".

Dear god.. I actually don't mind the mechanics of Tekken and think they're probably the best for competitive play, but when you put it this way it does seem like a calculated attempt at creating the most boring combat system ever for a fighting game.
Come, join me...

Off to bed with me. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I keep forgetting the difference between Lambda/Mu/Nu do any of you have a mnemonic or something I could use

Mu is noel going super saiyan. Plays nothing even remotely close to them. She has huge hitting normals and set's up floating devices that her moves play off of.

Nu is the sword girl from CT she died in CT, lambda is Nu's replacement but more of a weave in and out fighter she dies at the end of CS.

Nu in CP is a fusion of Nu from CT and Lambda CS. One stance specializes in her sword moves and zoning the other specializes in combos and up close.

Well Karst it's not like Marvel is pure zoning either. Every good zoner has close range options to go in and out right? And yes Mu-12's outfit sucks. I wish her prefight one was what she got.

I mean it's still tacky but damn if it's not a million times better

kirblar

Mu is noel going super saiyan. Plays nothing even remotely close to them. She has huge hitting normals and set's up floating devices that her moves play off of.

Nu is the sword girl from CT she died in CT, lambda is Nu's replacement but more of a weave in and out fighter she dies at the end of CS.

Nu in CP is a fusion of Nu from CT and Lambda CS. One stance specializes in her sword moves and zoning the other specializes in combos and up close.

Well Karst it's not like Marvel is pure zoning either. Every good zoner has close range options to go in and out right?
It even has a ghost rider type character!

Who I hear is still bottom tier. :( Playing him anyway though.

The oppressive style of keepaway that Karst dabbles in is not something that ASW games really do.
They did an okay job with #Reload... but yeah that was the last time
sooooo hype for gg xrd
gonna start playing gg #reload on pc to prepare myself
I was so hyped I went and redownloaded my #Reload from GoG too. Tried FRCs again and this stuff is a piece of cake with Baiken compared to Mahvel or SFIV. It really really sucks that AC+ doesn't have an official PC release. I would have been all over that...
Overspend for marginal gains?
If you consider marginal gains to be day one PC ports, immediate implementation of multi man lobbies, story editor mode, expanded tutorials and new characters to a game that desperately needs more roster additions.
Edit:
Solarpowered, I see your game request now. I'm not going to play right now. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night due to work. I'm going to take a nap soon. I don't think I'm in any condition to play a game like Marvel. :p Just eating some pepperoni before bed...
Okay then
I'm not trying to gain anything, you're trying to convince me of something, yah?

And I still see primarily rushdown. She just tries to take the last bit of health off with projectiles after having already established a wall of satellites.

Plus her outfit is goddamn tacky. Dress her in something more tasteful, ASW.

I watched the Tager video, and just thought "lol Tager".
ASW and tasteful only align once every blue moon. Unfortunately that has happened very few times since they made BB.
lol karst wants enzo in his bed for a good ole fashioned sexing
What better way to make someone join the playstation family?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

No chip on block.

No good projectiles.

No meter management.

Wow that sounds awesome.

Dahbomb

Characters still have various stances and variating moves that make them interesting along with reversal options or mix up options.

Its not boring because thats like saying ST is boring. Yea that game has some meter management and chip on specials but its a very bland game compared to where Tekken is now. You have so many wake up options in a Tekken game compared to most 2D games which is like a whole meta game by itself. The throw game is also more complex and there are multi chain throws on some characters. Plus Tekken is extremely anti spam, which is to say every move in the game can be either blocked with heavy disadvantage for your opponent, low parried, high parried (some characters), reversed (some characters), duck under if high, side stepped,
hit out of on start up etc. You have an answer to everything and there is no point in the game where you have lost 100% like in a SF game where someone gets you knocked down and make you block a fireball in wake up or do a wake up DP both of which end in a lose/lose scenario.

I am impressed you can keep all this straight because I am still confused

As far as CP goes though,
Mu = lasers
Nu = swords

is that about right? Need to come up with a mnemonic so I don't forget.

Top Bottom