• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
...does anyone else wanna take this

This is probably the most insulting thing you've said to me yet lol

Edit:

By dying off quickly, I meant that it pretty much went from being popular (as MKX was) to shrinking in size quite a bit after a year or two or am I wrong on that too?

NRS isnt doing anything to help keep the current fanbase with the shitty online. They've already pretty much destroyed the PC community. 30k to 3k in 1 week. And it's only going to go lower after that patch.

God damn it.

petghost

Banned
Anyone think of examples of players making low/mid tier teams work against top tier teams in mvc2? I can only think of vdo atm. Saw a jp dude running juggs buletta omega red that seemed cool too.

Dahbomb

Anyone think of examples of players making low/mid tier teams work against top tier teams in mvc2? I can only think of vdo atm. Saw a jp dude running juggs buletta omega red that seemed cool too.
Vegita-x used to play Rogue/Storm/Tron. That was one of my favorites to watch.

There were also some gimmick glitch Juggernaut teams sort of like current Arthur team where he would power up and tag out to get powered up mode forever. Glitched out Juggernaut would kill you in a couple of hits, it was like playing with permanent XF on (only you are controlling a slow ass character who rarely gets a hit against the top tiers).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Here, have one of my favourite GIFs:

ii1UADEtE5hID.gif

LOL thanks

NRS isn't at fault for loss of interest.

This happens with every fighting game. They unlock the single player content, they get destroyed online, and they're done.

The actual competitive community is not going to grow just by making a game with casual appeal. That is only the first step. The devs have to incentivize improvement and continuously playing, and they have to do it in a way that anyone can do, not necessarily throw money at a big offline/online tournament.

alstein

NRS isn't at fault for loss of interest.

This happens with every fighting game. They unlock the single player content, they get destroyed online, and they're done.

The actual competitive community is not going to grow just by making a game with casual appeal. That is only the first step. The devs have to incentivize improvement and continuously playing, and they have to do it in a way that anyone can do, not necessarily throw money at a big offline/online tournament.

You hit on something here. Pot bonuses do nothing to grow a competitive community. They're only for the folks who would be playing anyways.

The only company this gen who really seemed to be trying to grow their community was Tecmo with DOA5- where they would put messages in the game about local events. That would be smart for Capcom to do with SFV , the competitive community grows from its locals, not its majors.

That said, NRS can be blamed for the PC communtiy dying - which probably kills any chance they have of building a Russian community. Unless something changes NRS is on my boycott list.

NEO0MJ

Yeah. While big pots make it more exciting to watch tourneys, it doesn't necessarily mean that more people will attend or become competitive.

Just bummed today idk :l

Looks like it's high time me, Blackule, and Beef took you out to have a nice dinner, hit the club, maybe hire that masseuse you were always ogling, you naughty boy you. I'd invite Smedwicks and Yams but I don't think those boys are ready yet for the audacious odyssey we're about to embark on. See you at 7, and bring your best polo.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
3AXo6.jpg

I love this pic.

Looks like it's high time me, Blackule, and Beef took you out to have a nice dinner, hit the club, maybe hire that masseuse you were always ogling, you naughty boy you. I'd invite Smedwicks and Yams but I don't think those boys are ready yet for the audacious odyssey we're about to embark on. See you at 7, and bring your best polo.

They aren't, leave them out of everything.

LOL xD

tumblr_nfhyf75Jig1s2safbo1_1280.gif

cryn

CPS2

omfg gootecks and mike ross...

Anyone following x-cellent adventures, this is why I think you SHOULD learn combos early on. They have fundamentals, it's getting them absolutely nowhere. They aren't doing any damage at all. It is hilarious tho.

Anyone following x-cellent adventures, this is why I think you SHOULD learn combos early on. They have fundamentals, it's getting them absolutely nowhere. They aren't doing any damage at all. It is hilarious tho.

This is why you should play old games :p

shaowebb

Just bummed today idk :l

Don't you make me come out to California and cuddle your ass till ya smile Q. I'm from appalachia and we knows the cuddlin' boy. We done gone be cheerin' you-uns right up y'here

lvl 3 country cuddlins for Q
zAJkG7H.gif

I should really sleep more after nightshift work before I post . But not today! ;)

alstein

Some games require you to learn optimal or near-optimal combos earlier than others. MK is one of those games.

mbpm1

IIRC Injustice was like that too.

Gotta get down those 30%+ combos for no bar or you're playing with nothing.

shaowebb

IIRC Injustice was like that too.

Gotta get down those 30%+ combos for no bar or you're playing with nothing.

Then D'vorah and Liu Kang will be fine. Hell Flame Fist Liu Kang do that with Uppercut into flame buffed fireball by itself!

xeolleth

Neo Member
It's been a hectic patch ride with 1.05 coming out but we've update Frame Trapped to version 3.4 including fixes for the latest Ultra patch.

List of changes exceeds well beyond 100's but the general change list is this:

• Fixed 1.05 patch changes
  • Fixed issues with the Auto Reversal and disabled block reversal until other bugs are fixed
  • Added floor and positional markers to hit box viewer
  • UI Tweaks all around
  • Stacks now load on separate threads during startup so FT loads quicker and does not lock the UI
  • Laying the groundwork for addition of the Frame Trapped Lobbby Monitor to the suite of tools.
Cheers all, let me know if you find any bugs or errors.

You can download the latest here: http://frametrapped.com/

shaowebb

Flame fist Liu is a monster damage wise. I want to necromancer Shinnok but his damage is pretty low.

The thing that has me intrigued is whether or not someone will get good on the competitive circuit with his dualist variation. Folks have been utilizing the fireball cancels in dragon's fire for crazy blockstring pressure and combos but dualist has equal pressure once you start seeing folks utilize the dark orb behind folks and using light/dark cancels to keep strings going. There are folks right now with a full charge performing 75% corner combos with darkness loops. The trick is setting up a juggle AND having time to get a full stock of darkness plus the corner. Even still a partial darkness charge can perform the same and get serious work.

Mabushin the player that won Marvel at KVO said the Nemo era is over. Nemo wants to money match him over the shit talking.

Topanga just announced they are doing the Charity Cup 5v5 again. There will be 120 teams so 600 players competing. Looks like it will happen on July 4th, but they haven't announced the location.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The thing that has me intrigued is whether or not someone will get good on the competitive circuit with his dualist variation. Folks have been utilizing the fireball cancels in dragon's fire for crazy blockstring pressure and combos but dualist has equal pressure once you start seeing folks utilize the dark orb behind folks and using light/dark cancels to keep strings going. There are folks right now with a full charge performing 75% corner combos with darkness loops. The trick is setting up a juggle AND having time to get a full stock of darkness plus the corner. Even still a partial darkness charge can perform the same and get serious work.

Yeah this seems like the variation NRS put the most work into

gutabo

Oh there's plenty of those(altho with different degrees of success), like the Mike Z team Dahbomb mentioned, or the Joe Zaza team(Wolverines/Gambit or Sent), heck even the Justin Wong low tier only vs Darkprince MM, you should check Brett(ROMneto)'s youtube channel, he uses Charlie/Iceman/Thanos and there's plenty of low tier players vids there.

Mabushin the player that won Marvel at KVO said the Nemo era is over. Nemo wants to money match him over the shit talking.

What team does Mabushin play?

I saw a recent stream where a... Colossus/Rogue/Ken I think? was giving Chris Matrix trouble.

Anne

What team does Mabushin play?

Vergil/Doom/Strider

Japanese MvC2 players were still using Ice Man and Cammy up until they discovered Ironman in like 2009. They're just now going through the MSP phase. The amount of weird shit that exists when you're region can't do unfly has to be astounding.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Gonna be going to a tournament in 20 days for street fighter 4. Better brush up on my Adon skills and hopefully I won't be complete trash against Blanka players.

Top Bottom