• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

alstein

I didn't expect those two to be so mentally weak. They're not going to practice decently at all, still expect to win for some reason, and when that doesn't happen blame the game and quit. That is some scrubby shit.

Makes me not want to watch any of their vids anymore.

The question is whether its mental weakness or just dislike of the game. They are old - oldheads tend to not like new things.

It's a little thing, but still makes me scrunch my face up in disapproval to no one in particular. Set > Games/Matches > Rounds

It's a holdover from esports broadcasting. In starcraft if they play best 2 out of 3 games, they refer to the games as set 1, set 2, and set 3.

DRE Fei

The same thing happened with MK9. Why did you guys think two SF guys would have their minds changed this time? At the start of that video they basically complained that MKX didn't have a SF button layout, but not in those exact words.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Mr. X

GAF:

Talk dirty to me about Rival Schools.

I missed out entirely on this franchise back in the day. I sadly didn't get into fighting games hard until vanilla SF4. :(

Some old school recommendations I have a lot of love for. (SF3, Dark Stalkers, Garou,etc)

It's remembered fondly, cool and large number of characters, 3D. Tardy counters were busted, made game dumb.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
If you can play marvel you can deff play mkx. It ain't that confusing once you sit down and be like aight, lemme figure out how shit works real quick and bam you're in there.

I'm gonna do that, I'm really liking the big guy with the little gremlin and Liu Kang. Gonna have to stop playing +R on my Vita to learn more about MKX ;_;

He is a Wolverine player.

ikICe8ZAExf2G.gif

The same thing happened with MK9. Why did you guys think two SF guys would have their minds changed this time? At the start of that video they basically complained that MKX didn't have a SF button layout, but not in those exact words.

I love MKX, but that damn block button is a pain to have to remember lol

petghost

Banned
GAF:

Talk dirty to me about Rival Schools.

I missed out entirely on this franchise back in the day. I sadly didn't get into fighting games hard until vanilla SF4. :(

Some old school recommendations I have a lot of love for. (SF3, Dark Stalkers, Garou,etc)

I don't think the actual gameplay is as cool as the premise/aesthetic but I'm no expert on it. I think Anne is into project justice.

jbug617

Banned
E3 thread has Namco scheduled to show a fighting game for PS4 and Xbox One. Probably Tekken 7 announcement for console.

I appreciate the answer Juicebox, since I've only recently started learning about the fighting game community a while back, I lack a lot of knowledge when it comes to the logistics behind it. My only question is, if you are willing to answer, how would they incentivize continuous play for all types of players?

Good question.

/shrug

sikvod00

Banned
https://youtu.be/9cFcRefKaWs?t=1956

Here's a video of me participating as the anchor in a Hawaii Smash 4 crew battle. Brought out my Duck Hunt. :p
You just spamming projectives, breh. That's cheap. ;p

But seriously, gj! Duck Hunt is underrepresented in competitive smash and projectile zoning can be interesting to watch (doing it and evading it). Last time I saw a good one was at APEX 2015. I'm confused about something though: why did your first opponent SD?

FSLink

Banned
You just spamming projectives, breh. That's cheap. ;p

But seriously, gj! Duck Hunt is underrepresented in competitive smash and projectile zoning can be interesting to watch (doing it and evading it). Last time I saw a good one was at APEX 2015. I'm confused about something though: why did your first opponent SD?

It was a crew battle, he lost a stock against the previous person up. So it's important not to just knock the other person's stocks, but to do so without losing any of your own so you have more room to breathe.

CPS2

I rewatched the first episode of marvelous adventures and they were a lot better prepared. I just think their whole approach in mkx was weird, like they knew how much damage good players were doing, knew they should've spent more time in training mode, and knew they were getting smashed by bad players. They just kept being convinced they knew enough to get wins, from random frame data numbers on small chains, ignoring like... everything else. Its hard to tell if they were trying prove a point about bad players or it was just how it happened.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
g&MR went into MKX because people wanted it not because they wanted it. they are all but dragging their feet in these videos and it's a chore to watch

MormaPope

Banned
I didn't expect those two to be so mentally weak. They're not going to practice decently at all, still expect to win for some reason, and when that doesn't happen blame the game and quit. That is some scrubby shit.

Makes me not want to watch any of their vids anymore

A big fat lol at that. Seeing them lose a bunch and being completely out of their element is hilarious, so they badmouthed Mortal Kombat X in the most gentle way possible, so what? Their own expectations or aspirations were instantly crushed and they vented.

They played like scrubs, but people getting butthurt over the last two videos come of overly sensitive Mortal Kombat fans.

Kalamari

About incentivizing fighting game players, I originally had some thoughts, but then I realized the incentive from playing the game should be the enjoyment of the game itself, not some stupid arbitrary reward.

As far as motivating players to improve, nothing motivates more effectively than money. Maybe some Chinese developer will come up with an ftp fg and pump millions of dollars into a championship series and pray it gets people interested in buying character dlc.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
E3 thread has Namco scheduled to show a fighting game for PS4 and Xbox One. Probably Tekken 7 announcement for console.

Does any one know how many games Ono is working on? His LinkedIn only said one exclusive PS4 game but I'm sure he's heading the helm with other initiatives since DIMPS is doing a lot of the grunt work for SFV. Of course he's leading design but he must have time to start working on another fighting game now... Mahvel 4 pls

Good question.

/shrug

The answer to a successful game, I'm surprised no one has the answer cause if we did, we'd be rich from making games lol

I dunno if this was posted already but I enjoyed their entry into the world of MKX online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aYaFwYLW9g

Gootecks forgot about the block button? Lol, I can't tell, either that or the high low game was too much for poor gooey

About incentivizing fighting game players, I originally had some thoughts, but then I realized the incentive from playing the game should be the enjoyment of the game itself, not some stupid arbitrary reward.

As far as motivating players to improve, nothing motivates more effectively than money. Maybe some Chinese developer will come up with an ftp fg and pump millions of dollars into a championship series and pray it gets people interested in buying character dlc.

I guess its more about getting a bigger influx of players to stay playing the game. A revamped tutorial system with a very detailed trial mode for beginners would sound great. Then there would be a trial mode for actual optimized combos, hell have a currency system in the game that people can get without any "paying 4.99" BS to get a bunch of it to get colors, costumes, little accessories like headbands, hair style, etc. Trying to get them to stick to the game as long as possible. Possibly feature a bulletin that shows the latest tournaments that's integrated with twitch archives or ads for upcoming tournaments to get them into the scene. Other than that, pumping in money and continually updates/patches when needed would greatly aid the longevity of a title.

For some people the arbitrary reward is what they enjoy about the game (see Call of Duty). I don't know if those are the type of players you want to court for long-term success though.

Also I've been thinking about why there's such a stigma against habdouken spammers / cheesers, but then they turn right around and go "yeah it's totally okay for me to abuse this NPC's leash zone in Bloodborne". Not sure how to correct that mindset.

Dahbomb

Also I've been thinking about why there's such a stigma against habdouken spammers / cheesers, but then they turn right around and go "yeah it's totally okay for me to abuse this NPC's leash zone in Bloodborne". Not sure how to correct that mindset.
It's ok to cheese against AI but not against human players. There's no honor with the AI.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

People don't know how to combat against it so they get frustrated. Instead of blaming themselves on their own shortcomings, they blame the opponent, hence the vicious cycle of a hive mentality in that "oh that player's just spamming, has no skill whatsoever" instead of actually thinking and saying "what could I do to make that move less effective and punish the opponent from spamming it"

I don't know about Bloodborne since I haven't played it yet but sometimes these stigmas are in the right since balances need to be made for overpowered moves. This isn't the case for hadoukens in SF.

Edit:

Seems like the direction you were heading in flew over my head lol

the AI is cheap too, all it does is read your input and counter you perfectly (unless it chooses to go easy on you and be dumb)

A lot of people want challenge and real accomplishment, it doesn't mean they want competition. Losing 50 times in a row to an AI-controlled werewolf monster is different from losing 50 times in a row to a human being.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, and for a lot of people challenge and competition aren't at all connected, even if it's natural for people who play multiplayer games or sports very seriously.

Kalamari

I guess its more about getting a bigger influx of players to stay playing the game. A revamped tutorial system with a very detailed trial mode for beginners would sound great. Then there would be a trial mode for actual optimized combos, hell have a currency system in the game that people can get without any "paying 4.99" BS to get a bunch of it to get colors, costumes, little accessories like headbands, hair style, etc. Trying to get them to stick to the game as long as possible. Possibly feature a bulletin that shows the latest tournaments that's integrated with twitch archives or ads for upcoming tournaments to get them into the scene. Other than that, pumping in money and continually updates/patches when needed would greatly aid the longevity of a title.

I agree, more players playing the game is always good, but it's tough to keep them playing. I am not even sure an in-game incentive system would be successful.

Tutorials can only teach so much, the pressure of a real match multiplies difficulty, there's no way to duplicate this without practice unfortunately. The best tutorials would help players get over the first humps of execution and strategy.

An opposing character tutorial might be good, something that gives players an idea of how to play against other characters. Not matchup specific tutorials, but just an opposing character tutorial where you can play any character against them. For example, the tutorial goal might be to successfully defend against a bnb, and then react with an combo that does a certain % of damage, something that requires some experimentation on the part of the player.

Or, maybe even a practice mode tutorial which shows players how to recreate different scenarios to practice against.

MormaPope

Banned
Fighting games in general don't have a golden carrot nor a freebie carrot at the end of the stick for non tournament play. You either play casually with friends or strangers and experiment, or you play to win and rub someone's face in the dirt.

Take games that are team based or where other people are playing towards a similar goal. In Call of Duty getting 55 kills and dying 4 times will be gratifying and satisfying, even though your team still ended up losing in a objective game type. In DOTA 2 there will be players that rake in a ton of kills but in the end their team loses. Even in defeat, you can feel some sense of accomplishment.

Which is why I love the ranking and XP system in VF5:FS and hate the point system in SF4. Even if you lose to somebody with a shit ton of experience and points in VF5, you gain some XP for your effort. Even if its a pittance, it doesn't feel like you're being penalized for being less experienced. Whereas every SF4 loss either feels like nothing happened or your experience was robbed.

sikvod00

Banned
AI in fighting games are the worst. Obviously the main appeal is playing against human opponents, but it's like there has been zero improvement in designing smarter\less cheap CPU opponents . "Higher difficulty" shouldn't mean an increase in the chances of reading your inputs or "reacting" to 3f jabs with dps, lol. And don't you dare try to play footsies. You'll eat an ultra.

MormaPope

Banned
I agree, more players playing the game is always good, but it's tough to keep them playing. I am not even sure an in-game incentive system would be successful.

Tutorials can only teach so much, the pressure of a real match multiplies difficulty, there's no way to duplicate this without practice unfortunately. The best tutorials would help players get over the first humps of execution and strategy.

An opposing character tutorial might be good, something that gives players an idea of how to play against other characters. Not matchup specific tutorials, but just an opposing character tutorial where you can play any character against them. For example, the tutorial goal might be to successfully defend against a bnb, and then react with an combo that does a certain % of damage, something that requires some experimentation on the part of the player.

Or, maybe even a practice mode tutorial which shows players how to recreate different scenarios to practice against.

This would be pretty awesome.

DRE Fei

You just described VF4 Evolution's tutorial.

Jazz-ism

Banned
xrd update has me really amped for SEAM next month.

my performance at KSB wasnt bad but I wanted a lot better. the diff between 1.0 and 1.1 is huge tho. exciting times when arcsys learns lessons from the past and adapts their normal schedule to accommodate the tourney scene

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Speaking of Bloodborne, I've been playing a lot of the PvP since they (kinda) fixed the matchmaking and it's garbage. Risk/reward on dashing and guns is too dumb and those things seem so central to the way the PvE is balanced that I'd be surprised if they really change it. Then there's the issues with lack of variety, etc.

Too bad because Dark Souls 2 PvP is super legit. Bloodborne has some masterful PvE tho. I'll be there day one for any DLC because the PvE is the truth.

Top Bottom