• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

If you're in Toronto the go to place for gdlk poutine is clearly Poutini's. Smoke's is gutter trash. Don't fuck with that shit.
Nah gutter trash is what passes for poutine in every fast food joint in the city with their store bought gravy mix, cheap ass fries and some cheese curds.

after all the trash talk, the grudge match between viscant and lowtiergod is finally happening this week's session of wnf!

Gonna be hilarious

20-6?

God damn he is just giving money to Viscant.

I have no doubt that Viscant will also prepare for this

Shit I might have to stay up on Wednesday

Edit: Speaking of lunches, I had the worst lunch today

Got a Mediterranean sandwich at my school's food truck, like 8 damn dollars and it only had half the stuff on it it was supposed to have.

Feels bad :'(

All I had for lunch was a jam sandwich.

The problem with threatening to assault people in real life is that it's illegal. The act of assault is also illegal. Jay knows no one is going to touch him, no matter how big they are. Valle wouldn't let it happen and tank his career either. I don't believe LTG means any of it.

Once trash talk reaches levels like this, it's either fake or someone is fairly dumb.

Also, this may come as a shock but despite all my technical lawmanship displayed above, I'm not a lawyer.

Mr. X

The problem with threatening to assault people in real life is that it's illegal. The act of assault is also illegal. Jay knows no one is going to touch him, no matter how big they are. Valle wouldn't let it happen and tank his career either. I don't believe LTG means any of it.

Once trash talk reaches levels like this, it's either fake or someone is fairly dumb.

Also, this may come as a shock but despite all my technical lawmanship displayed above, I'm not a lawyer.

Nah, it's staged. I'm hoping they wouldn't invite two people into the same place after one is threatening to beat the other up in person.

what if you get security?

fgc has lots of big bodies willing to step in if asked to

Who was that guy that used to be here that was always in the front row of events acting like an idiot and going crazy?

I tried to explain to him one time that no one is killing anyone in the FGC, despite twitter threats to the contrary. He didn't believe me.

Some people still just want to believe its real, man.

His name was like trex or something

Who was that guy that used to be here that was always in the front row of events acting like an idiot and going crazy?

I tried to explain to him one time that no one is killing anyone in the FGC, despite twitter threats to the contrary. He didn't believe me.

Some people still just want to believe its real, man.

His name was like trex or something

kingofsarus... real ass dude!

Beckx

So the FGC 2014 is like the WWF in the 80s, everyone believing it's real?

I always knew that shit was fake, like anyone would beat Mr. T.

I forgot to mention Jay's poker background.... You know, the game where you convince other people to lose all their money to you?

I think we can agree this is all staged. Whether or not LTG knows is another question.

Shouta

The funniest thing about all of the r/kappa sponsorship stuff is the stream monsters. They were trashing us about not doing that kind of thing except we did it for Q and they don't know what I've been up to, lol. NeoGAF working behind the scenes and all that. =P

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The funniest thing about all of the r/kappa sponsorship stuff is the stream monsters. They were trashing us about not doing that kind of thing except we did it for Q and they don't know what I've been up to, lol. NeoGAF working behind the scenes and all that. =P
I still laugh when I think about how you were already waiting at the staff members area door when I got off the plane. I was like damn Shouta is too pro. We were expecting to go look for you xD

Shouta

I still laugh when I think about how you were already waiting at the staff members area door when I got off the plane. I was like damn Shouta is too pro. We were expecting to go look for you xD

I've got airport hook-ups!

(just asking the staff rly)

vulva

Not being a dick rider here or nothin but outside of people helping out with Q, the rest has really just been you. Neogaf as a whole doesn't deserve the compliments for helping send players. You do. gs man

Shouta

Not being a dick rider here or nothin but outside of people helping out with Q, the rest has really just been you. Neogaf as a whole doesn't deserve the compliments for helping send players. You do. gs man

Doesn't matter. That's an internal thing. To folks outside of the forum, we're a single entity and if they'll treat us as such we get to use it as such. Remember that we treat r/kappa as one entity as well, if there weren't a specific listing of individual donors and they'd sponsor someone. That'd still be r/kappa sponsoring folks, not a member of r/kappa, lol

vulva

Doesn't matter. That's an internal thing. To folks outside of the forum, we're a single entity and if they'll treat us as such we get to use it as such. Remember that we treat r/kappa as one entity as well, if there weren't a specific listing of individual donors and they'd sponsor someone. That'd still be r/kappa sponsoring folks, not a member of r/kappa, lol

Fair enough. I just very much believe in giving credit where it's due. Even if you're acting as a representative of the forum, you're still independently doing something great by bringing players over and contributing. While that speaks greatly for our own community I also think that you specifically deserve the recognition for the work and investment that you've put in.

Shouta

I don't really do it for personal recognition, aside from occasionally bringing it up. Kappa

It''s fun and interesting for my community in my area to interact with them and for you guys to enjoy watching these players. Worth it and all that. =)

vulva

I don't really do it for personal recognition, aside from occasionally bringing it up. Kappa

It''s fun and interesting for my community in my area to interact with them and for you guys to enjoy watching these players. Worth it and all that. =)

I respect that for sure.

Have you ever considered sponsoring a Canadian player who made it to quarter finals last year in EVO to help him on his way to EVO this year? :x

kirblar

All in the name of spreading the Gospel of Gundam. :)

Exr

I mean stream monsters are going to care more about a player thats known and has a chance of taking it, thats understandable.

El Sloth

Banned
Hm, only other mechanic that I can remember is Just Defense in Garou MotW, that recovered your health a little bit.
I personally feel like this, and things like instant blocking in BB or even parrying in Soul Calibur or 3rd Strike, is a little different and more involved than being rewarded for just proper regular blocking.

I do think stuff like instant block/just defense are pretty cool though in that they reward and encourage good defense. Parrying has always felt like more of an aggressive thing to me despite sort of being the ultimate defensive option.
@interview:
KOF13 gives more meter (both super and drive) for blocking than the attacker gets for his blocked attack. Of course this is tempered by high-low mixups being really accessible and guard crush being a thing. So you need to do something quick, but can maybe get the meter to get out of dodge with proper blocks.
Oh cool, I never knew that (because I don't play KOF). You could argue that's a comeback mechanic that becomes more effective the better you get at the game. I wonder if presenting it that way to someone who only plays casually would encourage them to improve their blocking.
I'm glad to see that Sloth was available for the spotlight after all. I had no clue that Vorpal and GRD could work like that for defensive players. I think that may very well be one of the first instances of rewarding good blocking after all haha. Too bad UNiEL isn't widely available stateside.
I personally make heavy use of the "free" guard cancel that Vorpal affords you because everyone seems to forget that's an option lol. Most people see it as a waste, which I agree with for the most part actually, but I think a well-timed guard cancel during certain situations could completely turn the game around.

Yeah, if it wasn't for Lemstar my lazy ass would have just waited for the US release next year.

Shouta

I respect that for sure.

Have you ever considered sponsoring a Canadian player who made it to quarter finals last year in EVO to help him on his way to EVO this year? :x

You mean Air? He's got Lapchi!

All in the name of spreading the Gospel of Gundam. :)

INDEED

When's Shoute gonna sponsor me :D ?

Play Gundam, then maybe.

I mean stream monsters are going to care more about a player thats known and has a chance of taking it, thats understandable.

They'll have fun with the folks I'm bringing to NWM this year.

Oh cool, I never knew that (because I don't play KOF). You could argue that's a comeback mechanic that becomes more effective the better you get at the game. I wonder if presenting it that way to someone who only plays casually would encourage them to improve their blocking.

Not really. It's not a reward for losing or being put on the back foot - just correct defense, and the rewards for proper aggression (ie. putting your opponent behind) are insane. You get more meter than the victim you're hitting and if you have the meter the damage and corner carry in the game can get pretty nuts.

The one comeback mechanic-esque thing in the game is that both sides just get a lot of meter always, but the party doing things "correctly" - ie. hitting the opponent or blocking stuff - always gets more.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm hoping I can make it to evo next year. Guilty Gear year and some other stuff.

1.2k dental bill slapped me pretty hard though :/

Not really. It's not a reward for losing or being put on the back foot - just correct defense, and the rewards for proper aggression (ie. putting your opponent behind) are insane. You get more meter than the victim you're hitting and if you have the meter the damage and corner carry in the game can get pretty nuts.

The one comeback mechanic-esque thing in the game is that both sides just get a lot of meter always, but the party doing things "correctly" - ie. hitting the opponent or blocking stuff - always gets more.

Especially true for drive since you need to make contact to build it, whiffing won't work.
The adjustment to meter gain from the arcade to the console version goes hand in hand with those made to the guard gauge (to limit guard crush combos by making GC Roll/Blowback more likely to be available).

El Sloth

Banned
El Sloth, you're welcome! (RE: OP)
Speaking of which, it feels like Madcatz doesn't really do those sorts of deals and promotions as often as it used to back in 2010. Or maybe I hjust haven't been paying as much attention as back then? I remember there were twitter giveaway contests at almost every slightly big tournament for example. Do you guys feel those aren't worth it anymore?

By the way, will you guys have any 360 Korean Edition sticks in stock anytime soon?

Especially true for drive since you need to make contact to build it, whiffing won't work.
The adjustment to meter gain from the arcade to the console version goes hand in hand with those made to the guard gauge (to limit guard crush combos by making GC Roll/Blowback more likely to be available).

Also it can't be a comeback mechanic because the reward is static and doesn't depend on you being behind etc. You just get rewarded for blocking properly even if you already have more HP and meter to begin with.

El Sloth

Banned
Also it can't be a comeback mechanic because the reward is static and doesn't depend on you being behind etc. You just get rewarded for blocking properly even if you already have more HP and meter to begin with.
I didn't mean anything bad by "comeback mechanic" you know. I just meant it's a mechanic that's useful for helping a player mount a future comeback. Which more meter would! There's no arguing against that. I think you're letting stuff like Ultras and Rage or whatever color what those two words mean on their own!

Top Bottom