• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

Dahbomb

I didn't mean anything bad by "comeback mechanic" you know. I just meant it's a mechanic that's useful for helping a player mount a future comeback. Which more meter would! There's no arguing against that. I think you're letting stuff like Ultras and Rage or whatever color what those two words mean on their own!
It should be known that "comeback mechanics" are anything that the other person doesn't earn by actually actively doing something and instead earns it by getting damaged/killed etc.

X factor, Rage, Ultras are comeback mechanics. I would also heavily argue that meter gained for getting hit is a comeback mechanic (although one that is partial as its also related to hitting the opponent).

This blocking mechanic is not a comeback mechanic at all. Might as well call Parries, Guard Impact, Reversals comeback mechanics as well.

El Sloth

Banned
I know they were well ahead of the game with online features. The stuff they did on the original Xbox cats like ArcSy are only catching up to now.
Features like what though? The arcade lobby thing that Arc has started putting in its games?
It should be known that "comeback mechanics" are anything that the other person doesn't earn by actually actively doing something and instead earns it by getting damaged/killed etc.

X factor, Rage, Ultras are comeback mechanics. I would also heavily argue that meter gained for getting hit is a comeback mechanic (although one that is partial as its also related to hitting the opponent).

This blocking mechanic is not a comeback mechanic at all. Might as well call Parries, Guard Impact, Reversals comeback mechanics as well.
I feel like this is quickly going to get bogged down in the semantics swamp, so I'll just recognize I improperly used the words in the context of fighting games and I only meant it was a cool thing that'd help a mans make a comeback maybe

Mmm let's be honest though, does doing a reversal come anywhere near as close as turning your character into a burning red blaze with super speed and strength? Wake up DP is a bit different....

.....just a bit. ....by a lot.

Mmm let's be honest though, does doing a reversal come anywhere near as close as turning your character into a burning red blaze with super speed and strength? Wake up DP is a bit different....

well Instant EX Orochinagi is fully invincible with 2f start-up and 36% damage...

/runs

Dahbomb

That's what I am saying, they aren't the same thing even though wake up DP usually leads to a comeback.

ie. Wake up DP, FADC Ultra into 1/3rd health gone in an instant

kirblar

That's what I am saying, they aren't the same thing even though wake up DP usually leads to a comeback.

ie. Wake up DP, FADC Ultra into 1/3rd health gone in an instant
I love how these are much, much more rare in Ultra due to the FADC nerf on DPs.

Needlecrash

The versus mode for this comes close.

Code_of_Princess.jpg

I actually just sold my copy of this today. I wasn't feeling the slowdown and jankiness of it.

Dlent

I don't see awakening in Persona hated on as often as much as we do other FGs. Getting fifty meter and sometimes brainlessly powerful supers, which can often be canceled with said meter if you do it on wake up, makes matches a chore sometimes. At least damage is through the roof in this game so you can often bypass it, but there aren't enough burst proof combos for that to always be an option.

notworksafe

I don't see awakening in Persona hated on as often as much as we do other FGs. Getting fifty meter and sometimes brainlessly powerful supers, which can often be canceled with said meter if you do it on wake up, makes matches a chore sometimes. At least damage is through the roof in this game so you can often bypass it, but there aren't enough burst proof combos for that to always be an option.

cause no one plays that chit

Dlent

You just don't like Circus Bear.

Nah, spending a few minutes in training will teach you all the counterplay you need for Circus Bear. It's basically a free anti-air counterhit any time it's used. I was thinking more along the lines of you get a free BS pressure move in awakening like Titanomachia(which was way more BS in the first game, to be fair).

I don't see awakening in Persona hated on as often as much as we do other FGs.

Yes, that's because you can't compare Persona with other fighting games.I like that game (And i'm also a Persona/SMT fan), but there's nothing but fun and craziness in it, nothing is balanced.

Dlent

Yes, that's because you can't compare Persona with other fighting games.I like that game (And i'm also a Persona/SMT fan), but there's nothing but fun and craziness in it, nothing is balanced.

Oh I'm well aware of the games reputation. It's just a lot of that particular mechanic reminded me of "what if Soul Satellite was fully invincible on activation?" You get Persona is the answer :p

Beckx

Shouta it's really in the thread's best interests that you lock Yams' ability to change his avatar. Forever.

Mr. X

On what? I don't play any of Tecmo's games, so I'm don't know about any cool things they might do.

Their F2P model. You can download the free version and just buy what you want or go grab the full game and the 2 versions are able to play with and against each other.

Tons of cosmetic stuff, nothing game altering.

In game, they actively use their news ticker to promote tournaments, streams and videos related which is a really great step forward in making all players aware of the scene.

Then there's of course the pots bonuses and support they give to events.

People seem to want to be like "ooh Tecmo sucks, they killed NG and DoA5 is shit, bring back Itagaki". They are doing a lot of community support compared to other publishers/developers and they are doing an amazing job post-release with this game. And I have yet to play DoA5 but I highly doubt it's a shitty fighter.

Is DSR a decent port? I might buy it since it's on sale only to never play it.

It is. (To my knowledge, consult people who know better)
The game is also really damn fun. If you're living in the US, Rotanibor organizes regular VSav tournaments in GGPO too ^^

WarRock

I didn't mean anything bad by "comeback mechanic" you know. I just meant it's a mechanic that's useful for helping a player mount a future comeback. Which more meter would! There's no arguing against that. I think you're letting stuff like Ultras and Rage or whatever color what those two words mean on their own!

Well balanced Guts values are my favorite comeback mechanic. Really like them in GG AC.

A question for y'all:

Any tips for learning input timing other than infinite practice and building muscle memory? Currently grinding through some character challenges and am having issues with input timing (I'm pushing buttons way too fast). I've got the basic tempo of things down, but actual timing is defeating me.

A question for y'all:

Any tips for learning input timing other than infinite practice and building muscle memory? Currently grinding through some character challenges and am having issues with input timing (I'm pushing buttons way too fast). I've got the basic tempo of things down, but actual timing is defeating me.
Which game? Tekken and Blazblue and some others have the option to assign sound cues for button presses during demonstration to help you with timing.

Speaking of Xrd, the standard cover art is horrible. I need the head(s) of some people at Aksys and/or ArcSys on a plate because of that standard edition cover, dammit! I want to welcome our Limited Edition cover overlords!

Speaking of Xrd, I need the head(s) of some people at Aksys and/or Arc on a plate because of that standard edition cover. >_<

Aksys employee here. I had a fairly...robust...response to the above typed out, but I decided I like my job and don't want to lose it.

Instead, I will admit to the irony of the above statement while this little argument is going on: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915901

Also, not quite sure why such a minor, inconsequential change makes you so irate, even if it's in jest.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I like the Standard Edition cover more than the LE

Sol looks physically ill on that box

but I'm still getting the LE

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
A question for y'all:

Listen to music

Top Bottom