• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135338827]What do you do at Aksys?[/QUOTE]

Editing, primarily. I also do some translating, QA crap, and minor community manager stuff (I'm the occasional voice of insanity on the official Twitter account).

pixelish

esports time with mike ross!
Capcom Fighters ‏@CapcomFighters 2m
Capcom Pro Talk with @thatmikerossguy starts in 1 hour! http://twitch.tv/capcomfighters

B0gYdrHCAAAerfa.png

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135347509]That sounds like fun.[/QUOTE]

It has its moments of both fun and relentless insanity. Crunch time isn't just for devs...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135349081]I graduate this summer, got any hot tips?[/QUOTE]

Learn Unity or a similar SDK so you at least are familiar with workflow/pipeline. Take your L's but get ready for anything (I worked on vaporware and contract gigs my first year). Have a portfolio set(seriously cut any "eh" material, its about quality not quantity), use/abuse all your school connections and contacts to vouch for you (i.e. you are not weird), I think there is a GameDevDrinkUp soon.
Also a plus if you can do many art styles (I worked on an AK47 type gun then made a dancing asian popcorn for a Chinese movie theatre.) as well as work in multiple programs.
Edit; also learn to paint textures, icons, and whatever. You are an illustration major?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135347926]How'd you wind up with that job? Seems a little all over the place from your description.[/QUOTE]

This is going to sound snarky, but it's an approach that very few people seem to take:

I applied.

Getting a job in the game industry (or any enthusiast industry, really) isn't that different than getting one anywhere. Be professional, have a solid resume, and go in with the knowledge that, though it can be fun, it's still very much a job.

As for the randomness, Aksys is fairly small (the actual Production/Localization group is a whopping 6 people) so we all wear multiple hats. When I was at XSEED, I actually did a hell of a lot more (add trailer making, ESRB submissions, Master submission, etc to the list). I actually enjoy doing different stuff as it helps keep things from getting stale.

If you have any specific questions, let me know via PM; I don't want to derail the thread.

Nyoro SF

A question for y'all:

Any tips for learning input timing other than infinite practice and building muscle memory? Currently grinding through some character challenges and am having issues with input timing (I'm pushing buttons way too fast). I've got the basic tempo of things down, but actual timing is defeating me.

If it's character challenges, usually they throw in some bullshit links and juggles you'll never use. Best to watch the demonstration videos and pick up timing from those. Keep an eye on the opposing character's animations.

Also Atlus kept the godlike Japanese cover for P4AU's American release. I expect that Aksys can sometimes make the same good decisions for their game covers too. :^)

Learn Unity or a similar SDK so you at least are familiar with workflow/pipeline. Take your L's but get ready for anything (I worked on vaporware and contract gigs my first year). Have a portfolio set(seriously cut any "eh" material, its about quality not quantity), use/abuse all your school connections and contacts to vouch for you (i.e. you are not weird), I think there is a GameDevDrinkUp soon.
Also a plus if you can do many art styles (I worked on an AK47 type gun then made a dancing asian popcorn for a Chinese movie theatre.) as well as work in multiple programs.
Edit; also learn to paint textures, icons, and whatever. You are an illustration major?

Yeah, Illustration. I can definitely do textures and icons and all that illustrator work on top of regular paintings and concept art-type stuff. I didn't think much about learning Unity though, I'll keep that in mind.

This is going to sound snarky, but it's an approach that very few people seem to take:

I applied.

Getting a job in the game industry (or any enthusiast industry, really) isn't that different than getting one anywhere. Be professional, have a solid resume, and go in with the knowledge that, though it can be fun, it's still very much a job.

As for the randomness, Aksys is fairly small (the actual Production/Localization group is a whopping 6 people) so we all wear multiple hats. When I was at XSEED, I actually did a hell of a lot more (add trailer making, ESRB submissions, Master submission, etc to the list). I actually enjoy doing different stuff as it helps keep things from getting stale.

If you have any specific questions, let me know via PM; I don't want to derail the thread.

oh lol I wasn't actually asking about how to get a job, I was asking how you wound up doing what you do since it didn't seem like a concise job description.

Nyoro SF

The world's two top Feis have now both switched mains. I wonder if maining Fei for that long is just too boring.

I can confirm that he has only become less and less fun to play with each iteration past AE. He's a shell of a character that's only good for sitting still and twitch reacting to whiffs. It's top tier but it's simple and doesn't feel rewarding.

Rose is a lot more fun to play. Her throw tech trap game alone is hilarious.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Speaking of which, it feels like Madcatz doesn't really do those sorts of deals and promotions as often as it used to back in 2010. Or maybe I hjust haven't been paying as much attention as back then? I remember there were twitter giveaway contests at almost every slightly big tournament for example. Do you guys feel those aren't worth it anymore?

By the way, will you guys have any 360 Korean Edition sticks in stock anytime soon?

I've just been busy with the business aspect so I haven't had a real chance to do more of the twitter giveaways like before :(

We still have sales/promos! We just had one for TFC! We will do one in the next coming weekend as well and the following. But only for the PS3 sticks and PS3 KE.

In regards for the Xbox 360 KE sticks, unfortunately we won't be making any more :(

CPS2

A question for y'all:

Any tips for learning input timing other than infinite practice and building muscle memory? Currently grinding through some character challenges and am having issues with input timing (I'm pushing buttons way too fast). I've got the basic tempo of things down, but actual timing is defeating me.
What I do is try to work out which parts of the combo are the easiest. Like if you're launching them and juggling, figure out which hits cause the most hitstun, see if there's anything that lets you followup really late. Quite often with those moves, you can followup early but if you want to add the most hits or damage, you have to followup late. It may be that delaying hits lets you hit the ground faster and recover earlier, and leaves them stunned later. Also, once you know all the best moves with the most hitstun and tonnes of followups, figure out your own combos for a while, then go back to the challenges. Then you get a better idea of why the difficult combos are difficult, and exactly which parts of them are difficult. I think this approach takes away any grinding or memorisation, cos really all you're doing is finding the best moves and there won't be all that many, then you'll see all the different paths from there, and the stupid hard links n shit they throw into challenges.

Exr

Im trying to update my GGXAC on PSN since I uninstalled it for install space, but every time I hit ok to begin the download my PS3 beeps and restarts. GG is a fighting game so can u guys pls help me

Sayad

Im trying to update my GGXAC on PSN since I uninstalled it for install space, but every time I hit ok to begin the download my PS3 beeps and restarts. GG is a fighting game so can u guys pls help me
Try downloading it from another connection maybe! PSN can be weird sometimes.

I applied.

Will be pming later.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Nom nom nom. Free Sushi is good Sushi.

So who does everybody think is going to win Capcom Cup? I honestly want Snake Eyez to win if only for that U.S representation.

Marz

So who does everybody think is going to win Capcom Cup? I honestly want Snake Eyez to win if only for that U.S representation.

Unfortunately for Snake, the 2 best Sagats in the world are going to be there:(

I like Infiltration.

I'm unsure of who will win but it will be exciting to see if either Bonchan or Gamerbee get second place. I think if they both meet in finals the universe implodes if they don't draw game and get 2nd.

Rainy

Banned
I think we could see a Bonchan/Luffy rematch in Grand Finals. Not sure who would win there. Bonchan has certainly worked on the Rose MU since Evo.

Top Bottom