• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Dahbomb

Tier lists are fun when you're discussing them with intelligent people. The problem with that is that tier discussions often take place on the internet.

I've always preferred character matchup charts, myself. Matchup discussion is way more productive (and foundational for tier lists) than pure tier talk.
Well some fighting games don't have single character match ups (MVC2, Skullgirls, MVC3) so having a match up chart for those games is a bit unrealistic. You can't chart out every single team in UMVC3 and make match up charts out of it.

I would even contest that except in very extreme cases team match ups are very fluid in these games. A good match up can turn into a bad match at almost the drop of the hat when a character dies (ie. Full Wolverine team loses against a full Zero team but if Zero dies then the Wolverine team has an immense match up advantage).

This is why in a game like DOTA 2 match ups aren't factored in. It's not irrelevant because match ups in Mid heroes is very important but they are a small factor in the whole dynamic of a match. You could lose mid badly and still win the game... likewise you can lose the point war horribly in MVC3 and still win the game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
In case everyone isn't aware, Justin Wong now streams on TwitchTV:

http://www.twitch.tv/eg_jwong

I have to say I really respect this guy more now, after watching his stream over the past week. He comes off as really down to earth and genuine. He also plays Street Fighter IV and MVC3 *with* his stream audience which is mega cool, and talks and interacts with them all the time while playing. Also plays different games in fact he was just playing Shovel Knights last night.

Gotta give props to Mr Wong. For a huge E-celebrity like him he really seems like a cool, down to earth dude.

Now if only we could get Daigo to stream :D

Kimosabae

Banned
Well, I obviously wasn't thinking of team based games when I made that post. But yeah, I think you can have a matchup chart based on established competitive teams.

I have to say I really respect this guy more now, after watching his stream over the past week. He comes off as really down to earth and genuine. He also plays Street Fighter IV and MVC3 *with* his stream audience which is mega cool, and talks and interacts with them all the time while playing. Also plays different games in fact he was just playing Shovel Knights last night.

Gotta give props to Mr Wong. For a huge E-celebrity like him he really seems like a cool, down to earth dude.

wong is pretty humble for the most part. He was like that at FFA when I met him for FFA last day.

xezuru

SilkyDiligentGhostshrimp.gif

Exclusive 24/7 Daigo Cam Live Beta Footage

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
wong is pretty humble for the most part. He was like that at FFA when I met him for FFA last day.

How do you know he is being humble? Or are you being sarcastic? And what do you mean by FFA? He doesn't play Final Fantasy Arealm reborn.

isamu

Family Fun Arcade. Also you can tell by how he was talking to randoms and giving tips.

Ahhh I see, my bad,

Justin just told us he is going to Japan tomorrow. I wonder if it's for a tournament? If so, maybe he'll fight against daigo?

Kumubou

The anime and video game club at my college was like this. They started to only Tekken because none of the serious people played it.
We had a similar problem with the videogame club I was a part of in college... mainly because regardless of what fighting game someone picked, there was always 1-2 people who would just destroy everyone else. We ended up intentionally going with a game no one was familiar with... GGXX!!! It actually ended up working out rather well, in the end.

You've been taking your sedatives, haven't you?
It's only Street Fighter, it's not like we got him talking about Ridge Rac--oops :dead:

Uraizen

Banned

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Nothing is worse than sitting around waiting, watching the last hours of someone dear to you. I don't think I'll catch TGS this week but I hope the U.S boys do good.

petghost

Banned
Sounds kinda like Blazblue, where you literally cannot play ca character other than the way the developer intended you to if you want to win.

Maybe it's my ignorance but I kinda agree with this. The character designs themselves are so creative but also very very specific and I think this encourages really flowchart play. In gear you got guys who are some of the best at their characters while having really strange quirks that would seem counter to the intent of the character design ie DC the Johnny who gets rid of all his coins in like 10 seconds. The designs are open enough to allow vastly different styles of play while still being successful.

Lmao how much he pay you?

Top Bottom