• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Feel like tri-dashing and divekicks are not even a problem in smash, because you don't have to worry about high low mixups or cross ups you just press L to shield. You also have tons more mobility across the board than in most 2D fighters.
Mobility is always huge. It means punishing easier, having more punishment options, having more spacing options, etc. Palutena, as far as I know, can cross the stage faster than any other character right now. There aren't high/lows, but there are still attacks/throws, and Palutena can empty tridash as well.

Shouta

I'd be up for some matches sometime, Shouta. More Ken experience, the better.

Yeah, I do dislike it too despite how funny it is to look back on. Sometimes I feel like it gives people tunnel vision once a statement snowballs, and hurts development of finding new stuff.

Sure, when I have time and not enraptured by DQX, lol

That's all cool though. The big question is "can he reliably deal with top tier buttons/mobility and consistently turn those hits into damage or a strong mix up/pressure situation."

Weak defense might not matter with how this game works, and lacking mids actually isn't an issue for a lot of characters. He might be pretty good then.

I did OK against Spark and tloz's Aegis and while I got bodied by SG's Narukami when I was on defense, when it was neutral, it was OK. I'm pretty bad at Arcsys games so to be able do OK really gets ken some points from me.

j.b for Ken is so good

Anne

Sure, when I have time and not enraptured by DQX, lol

I did OK against Spark and tloz's Aegis and while I got bodied by SG's Narukami when I was on defense, when it was neutral, it was OK. I'm pretty bad at Arcsys games so to be able do OK really gets ken some points from me.

j.b for Ken is so good

Is Spark still playing Teddie?

Azure J

There's also the idea that forcing someone into a situation where they hold a shield means they can't actively turn around out while blocking without either short hopping/up B, dropping the shield, or rolling which are all varying levels of gables/sub optimal. I think that could be the scariest part about Palutena's Jump Glide offense, she can pretty much do Project M Mewtwo hovering nairs at frame safety while moving behind the character so they have to choose between making a bad roll commitment, standing there and letting their shield get whittled away or YOLO it up with an up B.

Of course this is all theory monstering so take it with a generous helping of salt.

mbpm1

Wonder ifSpooky, Markman and crew enjoyed that earthquake this afternoon lol.

Spooky *sound breaking up*: What's up guise this is Spooky here and I'm in the middle of this earthquake...looks like it's a normal thing here...wait actually it's Godzilla...I'm going to try and get a better look for the stream...be right back guys....

Azure J

I've actually had this said to me, and it took all my willpower to not laugh.

My brother once told me that Project M [and by extension Melee styled game play] was stupid/pissed him off because of how much you could do. I still remember feeling breathless wondering what I should say.

mbpm1

Might get a chance to check out smash this weekend at a friend's house so I can see what the hype is about. I've never really played Melee or brawl (although I did go in on an N64 Emulator version of SSB) so it's a clean slate for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay this is interesting. Smash 3DS Conquest Mode appears to be a way for Nintendo to get information about character use and performance:
I don't really understand how useful this information would be to them. Just seems like another avenue to Sakurai to gather misinformation about the competitive community to me.

I really need to find some time stamps from that stream. There was so much to parse through and all of the info is really good too. Greninja, Palutena, Zero Suit Samus, Bowser, Lucario and Sheik all look like problems with Rosalina being that "obviously stupid tier but no one's putting in the work yet" dark horse.

I feel like Shulk should be this guy too. Literally no-one has figured out how to play him yet, and yet he can buff his knockback and his damage output. And his defense. And his mobility. :lol

Spooky *sound breaking up*: What's up guise this is Spooky here and I'm in the middle of this earthquake...looks like it's a normal thing here...wait actually it's Godzilla...I'm going to try and get a better look for the stream...be right back guys....

I read that in his voice :lol

Azure J

I feel like Shulk should be this guy too. Literally no-one has figured out how to play him yet, and yet he can buff his knockback and his damage output. And his defense. And his mobility. :lol

I'd honestly feel similarly but the Monado Arts being a reel, and the cool down on some of the further reaching attacks of his kinda make me wonder. If anything, back air alone says he'll be fine but I dunno where he'll place in the pantheon.

Why is Greninja the only pokemon with his Shiny as an alt?

Charizard has his GSC shiny as an alt, I guess? And Shiny Pikachu is sort of orangey-yellow, which is definitely one of his hatted alts. Similar with Puff and her lighter-pink Shiny.

Lucario doesnt, which sucks, because his Shiny is pretty distinct in terms of colour scheme.

Spr_5b_448_s.png

I'd honestly feel similarly but the Monado Arts being a reel, and the cool down on some of the further reaching attacks of his kinda make me wonder. If anything, back air alone says he'll be fine but I dunno where he'll place in the pantheon.

DHD/Shulk to dominate teams, then? DHD is probably strong enough to ward enough two opponents, giving Shulk the breathing room to Art up? Palutena could fill in too.

Just a thought. Character reeks of potential.

Infinite

Charizard has his GSC shiny as an alt, I guess? And Shiny Pikachu is sort of orangey-yellow, which is definitely one of his hatted alts. Similar with Puff and her lighter-pink Shiny.

Lucario doesnt, which sucks, because his Shiny is pretty distinct in terms of colour scheme.

Spr_5b_448_s.png

DHD/Shulk to dominate teams, then? DHD is probably strong enough to ward enough two opponents, giving Shulk the breathing room to Art up? Palutena could fill in too.

There are one or two orangey Pikachus, aren't there?

true but Charizard Lucario and Jiggs?

Beckx

If only I didn't accidentally hit neutral b all the time. :/

Marz

Mobility is always huge. It means punishing easier, having more punishment options, having more spacing options, etc. Palutena, as far as I know, can cross the stage faster than any other character right now. There aren't high/lows, but there are still attacks/throws, and Palutena can empty tridash as well.

Extra mobility sure.

But the properties that make both of those things really good are not too important in Smash.

In neutral I'm not worried so much about anti airing so characters changing their jump trajectory isn't too big of a deal since every character can do this anyway.

And shield is going to be almost as good/as good as it was in Brawl, you're not going to be worried about this as much as you might think.

Mega Lucario should have been made the default for Lucario. It's such an improvement. Just make the Final Smash Close Combat or something, I want to play as Mega Lucario all the time damn it.

Azure J

Mega Lucario should have been made the default for Lucario. It's such an improvement. Just make the Final Smash Close Combat or something, I want to play as Mega Lucario all the time damn it.

My exact feelings to this day regarding Blaziken. Mega Blaziken should have been Blaziken from the jump (broken ability notwithstanding). :lol

My exact feelings to this day regarding Blaziken. Mega Blaziken should have been Blaziken from the jump (broken ability notwithstanding). :lol

Oh, I just meant for Smash, haha. I like the Mega Evolution sequence too much to give that up in the games :p

I wouldn't mind vanilla Blaziken getting retconned out of existence, though, that thing looks fugly nowadays, plus Mega Blaziken is on some Adon shit that I can appreciate in a big way

Top Bottom