• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

vulva

Haha 69
lerT6Vo.png

Slight self-promoish stuff here. Apologies if this offends. If it offends too many, I'll take it down.

esportsMax just put out a USF4 North American player power ranking article:

http://www.esportsmax.com/analysis/ultra-street-fighter-iv-power-rankings-1-august-edition

Disclaimer: I'm one of the panelists that helped with the rankings and wrote the blurb about Smug.

"GamesterGear’s Chris G is a man that most people consider a villain thanks to his stance on some social issues, as well as his penchant to say whatever’s on his mind at any given time, including if he thinks he lost for a particular reason."

Yo damn

I won't lie though, I am surprised to see K-Brad so low in comparison to some others on that list.

Edit: I get what you guys are saying, and I agree, but still a bit surprised to see him lower compared to some people.

But what do I know

Sayad

who the hell is chris bahn and has he never seen snake eyez play lol?
Curiously, only one man on our panel didn’t vote for Snake Eyez at all, seeming to credit Snake Eyez’ run at Evo this year as a fluke, and that he lucked out on matchups. Though this could have just been an oversight on Chris Bahn’s part, there’s no question that Snake Eyez is at the top, and he’s looking to stay here.
That's where I stopped reading, kinda hard to take their ranking seriously after this.

Marz

can any american player claim they've won when japanese or infiltration has been there?

I know Ryan Hart and Luffy can but they're not American.

Mr. Kenneth Bradley won SCR this year and Michael Tan, Infiltration, Wao, and Gamerbee were all in attendance.

Im sure there's a ton more.

Azure J

Stay strong Kadey.

Fuck the 3DS version

Just heard about this a few moments ago. Sakurai is a very fascinating individual sometimes. If he left it at "3DS can't run Climbers" that'd probably be cool since everyone had that sneaking suspicion but those extra comments about how "they never had any further games" was a bit slimy given that R.O.B is still in the roster and Captain Falcon and Ness are starting to head closer to this decade or more hiatus from game releases. Then one of our newcomers is the Duck Hunt Dog.

Like what?

This is also making me feel worried for any character/play style that isn't represented by a Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or (as of 4) Fire Emblem character. No franchise's ever going to be more popular overall than those in new age Nintendo.

"You play Zero? what a cheap/scrubby character you're not good if you use him" -GAF

I don't think I've ever called Zero players bad unless they were explicitly Zero players. It's not a good look playing Zero/Assist/Assist breh. :p

Busaiku

Any statements about looking at a franchise's relevance is just damage control for putting up with weaker hardware.

NEO0MJ

Nothing is worse than sitting around waiting, watching the last hours of someone dear to you. I don't think I'll catch TGS this week but I hope the U.S boys do good.

My condolences, Kadey.

I acknowledged that though when I said that the audience would understand that it was technical limitations that kept them from joining and Sakurai should have stopped there.

Yeah, he should have just shut up after that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just imagining that shortly after this picture was taken they made contact, absorbed each other and exploded on some D4C shit.

Well some fighting games don't have single character match ups (MVC2, Skullgirls, MVC3) so having a match up chart for those games is a bit unrealistic. You can't chart out every single team in UMVC3 and make match up charts out of it.

I would even contest that except in very extreme cases team match ups are very fluid in these games. A good match up can turn into a bad match at almost the drop of the hat when a character dies (ie. Full Wolverine team loses against a full Zero team but if Zero dies then the Wolverine team has an immense match up advantage).

This is why in a game like DOTA 2 match ups aren't factored in. It's not irrelevant because match ups in Mid heroes is very important but they are a small factor in the whole dynamic of a match. You could lose mid badly and still win the game... likewise you can lose the point war horribly in MVC3 and still win the game.

Speaking of this, it annoys me to no end that people keep making universal tier lists for KOF13. I mean, sure, it's easy to say EX Iori and Karate are the best characters in the game - they're top tier in every slot, Iori is easily the best point in the game and so on - and that some others like Kim and Benimaru are close behind (I'd say those are the top4).

But after that? How the hell do you rank Duo Lon, one of the best point characters in the game with excellent low-meter options and dominating neutral but absurdly poor meter => damage conversions (consequently one of the worst anchors in the game) and Claw Iori or Vice who are pretty much the exact opposite and need meter to patch up holes in their neutral game while being bosses at turning meter into a dead character?

Nothing is worse than sitting around waiting, watching the last hours of someone dear to you. I don't think I'll catch TGS this week but I hope the U.S boys do good.

:(

Myn

Someone talk Drake into doing next year's EVO theme song. He has the ability to rap about Street Fighter but at the same time relate it to a girl he met in a random city

gutabo

I can only send you the biggest hug ever dear K. Much <3 to you.

"GamesterGear’s Chris G is a man that most people consider a villain thanks to his stance on some social issues, as well as his penchant to say whatever’s on his mind at any given time, including if he thinks he lost for a particular reason."
Very true. What most people don't know is that, besides liking to speak up his mind as much as possible, he's also a very cool guy that's up for debating after speaking his mind and can concede a point if proven wrong(he will defend his point of view, of course).

"Mike Ross (4 pts)"
Damn.

oh my god you guys

10649566_10202992165108358_3753007407269636065_n.jpg

mike ross and drake in the same photo

this means the apocalypse is nigh

Dammit, I was about to post it!
with this text: "is the struggle over?" or "he looks photoshopped there, why is combofiend taller?"

petghost

Banned
Speaking of this, it annoys me to no end that people keep making universal tier lists for KOF13. I mean, sure, it's easy to say EX Iori and Karate are the best characters in the game - they're top tier in every slot, Iori is easily the best point in the game and so on - and that some others like Kim and Benimaru are close behind (I'd say those are the top4).

But after that? How the hell do you rank Duo Lon, one of the best point characters in the game with excellent low-meter options and dominating neutral but absurdly poor meter => damage conversions (consequently one of the worst anchors in the game) and Claw Iori or Vice who are pretty much the exact opposite and need meter to patch up holes in their neutral game while being bosses at turning meter into a dead character?

now i play neither marvel nor KOF so take what i say with a grain of salt but i think in multi-char/team based games people ought to have a narrower scope like you mentioned...so a KOF tier list could consist of a point tier list, an anchor tier list etc. all done separately. this way you could see the value of a character in the situation they are most/least successful.

doing something similar in marvel may be slightly tougher because assists and synergy and all that come into play but i would like to see a pretty broad commonly used team tier list or even matchup chart.

maybe people already thought of this shit and have done it i dno.

NEO0MJ

doing something similar in marvel may be slightly tougher because assists and synergy and all that come into play but i would like to see a pretty broad commonly used team tier list or even matchup chart.

Don't forget that in Marvel you can switch characters at any time and have X-factor to consider.

gutabo

You have to take everything into account. Like, Duo Lon has plenty of unsafe stuff and like you said he can't do damage even with meter(or better: would you waste meter with him or save it for another character with a retarded combo into neomax for almost twice the damage?). Claw Iori like you said needs meter to do stuff like go through projectiles BUT he still can do damage without meter or Vice being able to turn any hit into a combo with meter and not much without it. You HAVE to take everything into account because you are going to get into uncomfortable situations with your character, like not having meter as an anchor after wasting it all doing a comeback combo against you opponent's point or second character just to stay alive. That means that versatile characters (*ahem* EX Iori, who has everything) are going to be on top because you can play him at any position and still be effective. And you can still say that Shen or Claw Iori are great anchors.

It's still easier to do a tier/matchup list for KOF than for a team game with switching mechanics mid round. It's not like "LOL, he has cable as his second, I can get away with unsafe stuff his point char can't punish" and then you get alpha counter scimitar into AHVBxN'ed into oblivion.

Myn

Slight self-promoish stuff here. Apologies if this offends. If it offends too many, I'll take it down.

esportsMax just put out a USF4 North American player power ranking article:

http://www.esportsmax.com/analysis/ultra-street-fighter-iv-power-rankings-1-august-edition

Disclaimer: I'm one of the panelists that helped with the rankings and wrote the blurb about Smug.

I feel like these types of rankings can be really fickle and unfair at times, being based off of voting since the judges might not be up to speed with certain players. Perfect example being Chris Bahn not considering Snake Eyez a top pick and discrediting his Evo placement despite him having to go through Xian, Tokido, Dieminion among others. Last year I'm sure Snake Eyez placed 9th as well losing to Daigo so there's no way in hell he had lucky brackets two years in a row.

In my opinion, I think it'd make a more interesting read if top players (you can gauge that based off of tournament results I suppose) were on the panel of judges since they have the most knowledge and insight of who the best as well as the up-and-comers are. Also having the power rankings be more concentrated in terms of area, such as the best of Norcal/Socal/NY, etc. That way the best players of that area that people don't really know about could get some exposure. I know this is an eSports article, but covering the same players time after time starts to become redundant.

Just my two cents. I know that this article was probably written for those who aren't necessarily invested in fighting games as much as most of the people in this thread, and they're probably not aware of who's getting tournament results. But I think having the panel consist of players themselves would make for more constructive content that will appeal to us as well. People show interest when players post their tier lists on Eventhubs, they'd probably be curious about player's opinions about each other; interesting things might happen. I recall Daigo saying Nemo was one of the strongest SF4 players in Tokyo or whatever during his AMA and that created some buzz to the point where now they're having an exhibition at TGS from what I hear.

edit: and sorry for the light criticism out of nowhere, it's aimed at the article, not you!

You have to take everything into account. Like, Duo Lon has plenty of unsafe stuff and like you said he can't do damage even with meter(or better: would you waste meter with him or save it for another character with a retarded combo into neomax for almost twice the damage?). Claw Iori like you said needs meter to do stuff like go through projectiles BUT he still can do damage without meter or Vice being able to turn any hit into a combo with meter and not much without it. You HAVE to take everything into account because you are going to get into uncomfortable situations with your character, like not having meter as an anchor after wasting it all doing a comeback combo against you opponent's point or second character just to stay alive. That means that versatile characters (*ahem* EX Iori, who has everything) are going to be on top because you can play him at any position and still be effective. And you can still say that Shen or Claw Iori are great anchors.

It's still easier to do a tier/matchup list for KOF than for a team game with switching mechanics mid round. It's not like "LOL, he has cable as his second, I can get away with unsafe stuff his point char can't punish" and then you get alpha counter scimitar into AHVBxN'ed into oblivion.

Obviously you have to. But even position-specific lists can take into account these "universal top tiers' " versatility - say Karate and Vice are equally great at doing the anchor stuff, you absolutely should rate Karate higher because he can reverse OCV better due to scaling well to any amount of meter, or EX Iori vs. Duo Lon on point, one character can OCV teams much better because of how he scales into a good anchor if you get the meter to build up (and because he's a tad broken anyway Kappa).

And pile those characters up and you get increased ability to game matchups because Iori/Karate/Kim isn't much better than Kim/Karate/Iori or Karate/Kim/Iori and so on. Meanwhile DuoLon/Takuma/Vice is nearly as powerful but just nowhere near as flexible.

Still doesn't make weighing Point Duo Lon vs. Anchor Vice a good idea, yet people do it all the damn time :/

gutabo

Obviously you have to. But even position-specific lists can take into account these "universal top tiers' " versatility - say Karate and Vice are equally great at doing the anchor stuff, you absolutely should rate Karate higher because he can reverse OCV better due to scaling well to any amount of meter, or EX Iori vs. Duo Lon on point, one character can OCV teams much better because of how he scales into a good anchor if you get the meter to build up (and because he's a tad broken anyway Kappa).

And pile those characters up and you get increased ability to game matchups because Iori/Karate/Kim isn't much better than Kim/Karate/Iori or Karate/Kim/Iori and so on. Meanwhile DuoLon/Takuma/Vice is nearly as powerful but just nowhere near as flexible.

Still doesn't make weighing Point Duo Lon vs. Anchor Vice a good idea, yet people do it all the damn time :/

LOL, yeah EX Iori is "not that fair" and people can be dumb. Comparing point duo lon against anchor vice is oly useful when it's happening in a match(and let's say that the two of them make a mistake, duo is going to die fast when he makes his), not for tier lists purposes. People can(and will) be dumb sometimes, us included :(

Just heard about this a few moments ago. Sakurai is a very fascinating individual sometimes. If he left it at "3DS can't run Climbers" that'd probably be cool since everyone had that sneaking suspicion but those extra comments about how "they never had any further games" was a bit slimy given that R.O.B is still in the roster and Captain Falcon and Ness are starting to head closer to this decade or more hiatus from game releases. Then one of our newcomers is the Duck Hunt Dog.

Like what?

This is also making me feel worried for any character/play style that isn't represented by a Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or (as of 4) Fire Emblem character. No franchise's ever going to be more popular overall than those in new age Nintendo.
I think his point was more that Ice Climbers caused a ton of problems on a technical level, and they couldn't justify spending a ton of time on them when other characters could be completed in shorter time, since they aren't famous like Mario. Personally, I still think we might get Ice Climbers with DLC. I am a true believer, though.

Top Bottom