• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Ugggh, after a month of waiting my copy of Under Night finally arrived. Customs got a hold of it. I have to pay them for holding it hostage for three weeks too. =|

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't mind that rage mechanic in Smash, it's kind of interesting honestly. I knew something was up when I was watching streams and seeing the steam effect on characters.

This is explains why it's hard to KO though.

The rage effect helps good players more than bad players though. Because the person that gets KO'd has a harder time killing the guy that just killed him while the guy that same guy can knock out easier.

OceanBlue

The rage effect helps good players more than bad players though. Because the person that gets KO'd has a harder time killing the guy that just killed him while the guy that same guy can knock out easier.

Doesn't it also mean that the person at high percentage will have a harder time converting hits on a newly KO'd person into combos?

El Sloth

Banned
XF kinda sucks, but a comeback mechanic is needed in a game like marvel.
Why? As in, something needed in team games in general? I don't think they do at all. The meter built up for the anchor character should be "comeback factor" enough and if it isn't, to me that's a sign of either a weak anchor or poor game design. X factor level 3 feels to me like punishing the winning player for playing well. This is speaking about team games in general. That said, for Marvel 3 specifically I think it would be a mistake to leave the game as is and not include something like xfactor level 3. Single character comebacks against a full team should be difficult, but in that game where it's so easy to tag a character on incoming into a 100% combo I can see the need for the Instant Super Saiyan button.

But for good other team games? I don't think they need something like it.

alstein

I've always been against rage comebacks. In Tekken 6 it never really bothered me but I could do without it. MvC3 (to me) was completely ruined by "Oh now I'm extremely fast, have high damaging attacks and have the ability to infinite loop you, not only that but make a 3v1 comeback and also now unable chipped".
Also

PaulPhoenixDeathFistInRageTTT2.gif

Really not into this new rage mechanic in Smash. To be honest, this Smash gets more meh the more I see it anyway.

Well, X-Factor was its own brand of stupid.

As for deathfist rage, how is that different from combo rage? Deathfists aren't as bad as EWGFs since Tekken 2.

BxyL2MYCMAAYhNt.jpg

fuudo 2 kawaii

I really don't know how I feel about the Rage Effect in smash. Whether its good or bad. I just don't seem to care about it, but I do hate the fact it takes long to KO someone, even if they're at 100%.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I really don't know how I feel about the Rage Effect in smash. Whether its good or bad. I just don't seem to care about it, but I do hate the fact it takes long to KO someone, even if they're at 100%.

Were you not watching Zero play last night? His sheik was koing people super fast.

Compbros

XF kinda sucks, but a comeback mechanic is needed in a game like marvel.

Disagreed, every Marvel and Marvel-esque game made by Capcom did well without a big comeback factor. Xfactor is simply terrible: when you've been outplayed, made a huge mistake and gotten birthday, or whatever leads you to a 1v3 disadvantage and you're the favorite to win is ridiculous.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Disagreed, every Marvel and Marvel-esque game made by Capcom did well without a big comeback factor. Xfactor is simply terrible: when you've been outplayed, made a huge mistake and gotten birthday, or whatever leads you to a 1v3 disadvantage and you're the favorite to win is ridiculous.
You are not the favorite to win in that situation still.

FSLink

Banned
Marvel without the silly broken shit isn't Marvel to me. Xfactor is just the usual VS bullshit on steroids.

I don't think the rage thing in Smash 4 is a huge deal, I'm more interested in how vectoring will affect the metagame. If people do end up living too long, I think it would benefit the community to go to 2 stocks like For Glory mode.

Azure J

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iZPxLLaL4N8
Looks like Smash 4 basically has rage.

Well this explains why Lucario at !00% was playing with Smash 64 knockback on EVERYTHING he does. Dude is really this game's XF4 Vergil.

All of that just to say: "You can use a skid animation to cancel runs... similar to crouch canceling in Melee/P:M."

Smash community is fun.

Tell me about it. I want to be a fly on the wall of the person who coined terms like "Reverse Aerial Rush" or "Wavebouncing" for what were essentially pivot aerials and pivot specials.

Nyoro SF

I don't think X Factor is necessarily the problem. It'ss that characters that have incredible mixup tools now have too much time and damage with it.

The mechanic is not necessarily at fault, but how the mechanic was scaled on a per character and characters remaining basis.

Can we start talking about parries in third strike yet?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't think X Factor is necessarily the problem. It'ss that characters that have incredible mixup tools now have too much time and damage with it.

The mechanic is not necessarily at fault, but how the mechanic was scaled on a per character and characters remaining basis.

Can we start talking about parries in third strike yet?

Parries suck because they make Hugo and Q viable. They ruin the game.

NEO0MJ

Tell me about it. I want to be a fly on the wall of the person who coined terms like "Reverse Aerial Rush" or "Wavebouncing" for what were essentially pivot aerials and pivot specials.

Everyone on smashboards is so thirsty to coin terms. I noticed this with Brawl as well when it launched.

Top Bottom