• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Sayah

Xfactor is not the problem with MvC3. The problem is everyone tier whoring and the other characters not being very viable or useful at high level play. Every time I turn on a Marvel stream, I am almost guaranteed to see any one of the following characters: Doom, Vergil, Zero.

Dahbomb

Oh boy this age old XF/comeback mechanics debate.

I will keep this shit simple.

XF in a full team based game : Fine just over tuned in MVC3 along with its various other problems

Rage/comeback mechanic in a 1v1 game: Completely shit and unnecessary

People linking Justin Wong's comeback doesn't counter any argument, MVC2 is a poorly designed game with various fundamental problems. You need huge errors by the other player for that to happen... it's like Haggar trying to fight against Magneto. I can link many matches where Haggar cameback against Magneto but no one is seriously going to debate that it is an acceptable match up.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

kirblar

Oh boy this age old XF/comeback mechanics debate.

I will keep this shit simple.

XF in a full team based game : Fine just over tuned in MVC3 along with its various other problems

Rage/comeback mechanic in a 1v1 game: Completely shit and unnecessary

People linking Justin Wong's comeback doesn't counter any argument, MVC2 is a poorly designed game with various fundamental problems. You need huge errors by the other player for that to happen... it's like Haggar trying to fight against Magneto. I can link many matches where Haggar cameback against Magneto but no one is seriously going to debate that it is an acceptable match up.
Every time I started writing a post, I stopped because I remembered you'd defend it better than I could anyway. <3

notworksafe

Xfactor is not the problem with MvC3. The problem is everyone tier whoring and the other characters not being very viable or useful at high level play. Every time I turn on a Marvel stream, I am almost guaranteed to see any one of the following characters: Doom, Vergil, Zero.

no

petghost

Banned
i dno man watching that footage makes elphelt look kinda boring or i guess just really messy...like what does she do?

she has all these tools for different situations but what does she do man? what range do you think she likes to be at?

yeah i know, she just came out...

sin is aesthetically pretty whack but i think he looking kinda fun from that other match vid.

petghost

Banned
Not really. You build meter by getting hit but I wouldn't count that as a comeback mechanic. Neither is wager in IGAU.

i dont play NRS games but arent Breakers from MK9 kinda a comeback mechanic? i mean i consider bursts in arcsys games a comeback mechanic for sure. def not the worst example of the concept but still comeback mechanics,

kirblar

i dont play NRS games but arent Breakers from MK9 kinda a comeback mechanic? i mean i consider bursts in arcsys games a comeback mechanic for sure. def not the worst example of the concept but still comeback mechanics,
Not really- player on offense gets more meter so they're actually an anti-comeback mechanic in a lot of ways.

Compbros

Breakers get you out of combos at the cost of two bars, they rarely provide any type of advantage other then you're not taking damage from the combo you just got caught in. There's nothing to "comeback" with, it's available no matter the health or situation as long as you have two bars.

Comeback mechanics to me are things that get stronger as you're getting beaten more and can instantly even the game or turn the tide in your favor and the only thing you're giving up is that mechanic itself. For example, Ultras in Street Fighter do more damage as you lose more health and you don't need to sacrifice any resources but the Ultra meter.

Dahbomb

I would actually consider meter gained from getting hit a form of comeback mechanic.

It's sort of essential in KOFXIII because the way the game is but in other games it's not as necessary.

Comeback mechanic is anything that rewards the losing player. In fighting games the losing player is the one getting hit/losing life.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think it can be considered a comeback mechanic if it can be baited and worsen your losing situation exonentially when not used properly

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

I disagree.

Tik-Tok

I don't think it can be considered a comeback mechanic if it can be baited and worsen your losing situation exonentially when not used properly

That's exactly what happens with Ultras in Street Fighter and people consider it a comeback mechanic.

Not really. You build meter by getting hit but I wouldn't count that as a comeback mechanic. Neither is wager in IGAU.

I don't see how a mechanic that interrupts your opponents combo, and potentially gives you life back is anything BUT a comeback mechanic. It might not be guaranteed but it's definitely a mechanic designed to help someone who's losing turn the tide.

Top Bottom