• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Azure J

It seriously cannot be understated how good looking a game Xrd is. Thank you Madcatz for having a nice HQ stream. I'm actually able to see a pretty cool effect with I-no's "reverb" attacks (edit: Chemical Love) being made out of equalizer pixels.

petghost

Banned
It seriously cannot be understated how good looking a game Xrd is. Thank you Madcatz for having a nice HQ stream. I'm actually able to see a pretty cool effect with I-no's "reverb" attacks (edit: Chemical Love) being made out of equalizer pixels.

i mean... that aspect certainly isnt overlooked. in fact its basically all i hear about xrd and i think its because the gameplay is kinda pedestrian compared to previous entries.

i love gear but i honestly dont see this game blowing up the FGC like some people have stated. people will get over the graphics pretty quick.

Azure J

Oh I don't really have much to add regarding how Xrd is vs. older titles. I never spent a lot of time on GG beyond some Jam and Baiken 101 in AC+. I just hope that the game is good enough that someone fresh to it like myself can have fun going in with it.

On a tangent, that stage on the moving train with the witches' city in the background is the coolest shit. It looks straight out of the later arcs of the Soul Eater manga.

Beesuit

Went through last few pages, don't think this was posted yet lol
K32N2Wn.jpg

This will forever be my favorite combo video, because I don't know what's going on most of the time, and that perfectly encapsulates the spirit of Marvel. Plus, it introduced me to Rhapsody, and they have some cool songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBcgTQetz2I

Oh I don't really have much to add regarding how Xrd is vs. older titles. I never spent a lot of time on GG beyond some Jam and Baiken 101 in AC+. I just hope that the game is good enough that someone fresh to it like myself can have fun going in with it.

On a tangent, that stage on the moving train with the witches' city in the background is the coolest shit. It looks straight out of the later arcs of the Soul Eater manga.
It will be my first serious GG game, too, so we can practice on each other! Getting it for PS3 or PS4?

xezuru

It will be my first serious GG game, too, so we can practice on each other! Getting it for PS3 or PS4?

I'm no crazy fighting game player but I'm pretty strongly thinking about getting this for PS3 just because there's crossplay so I don't have to pay for PS+ to do online, unless I'm mistaken. At the very least I wont have to replace my old ass TE.

Kumubou

i mean... that aspect certainly isnt overlooked. in fact its basically all i hear about xrd and i think its because the gameplay is kinda pedestrian compared to previous entries.
That's the thing... anyone who has picked up fighting games in the last 5-6 years probably has very little familiarity with GG, so the game being stripped down from GGAC won't mean much to them.

The graphics are the hook to get people's attention, which is still really important. I suspect that the game will be relatively healthier in the US than in Japan, as it'll be easier for new players to pick it up. There aren't as many old-school GG players (and they aren't as good, on average).

I'm considering grabbing Xrd on the PS4 but damn man I don't want to buy a new stick. I've been swinging it with the same old launch TE since SF4's launch. That stick has put in work.

I'm no crazy fighting game player but I'm pretty strongly thinking about getting this for PS3 just because there's crossplay so I don't have to pay for PS+ to do online, unless I'm mistaken. At the very least I wont have to replace my old ass TE.
Eh, PS+ is like $3 a month, and it pays for itself with all the good stuff you get. I'm not particularly bitter about it.

Who do you plan to main? I'm sure you know who I will main...

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm considering grabbing Xrd on the PS4 but damn man I don't want to buy a new stick. I've been swinging it with the same old launch TE since SF4's launch. That stick has put in work.

Same. Even though I have a dual modded madcatz te, I still have my HRAP2. That thing's been through wars.

I have fond memories of buying it just for 3rd Strike on PS2 and using an inpin for PS3.

Sayad

MvC3 end game would be Dante/Hagger/Phoenix since Dante can build 5 meters in one combo.
Dante being able to build 5 meters isn't that big of a factor, meter build was so high in MvC3 in general, a lot of characters can almost guarantee DP after a single confirm.

xezuru

Eh, PS+ is like $3 a month, and it pays for itself with all the good stuff you get. I'm not particularly bitter about it.

Who do you plan to main? I'm sure you know who I will main...

Eh, PSN+ has never really really done anything for me. The indie games I want that would be free on a service like that I probably already supported on PC, and aside from those store bonuses I'm not a fan of them forcing networking on to it for the console, while giving nothing a PC wouldn't already give for free, but yeah for some people PS+ deals could be rediculous saver.

As for who to main, I have no idea, back when I used to dabble in AC+, i think? Forgot what version of GG it was, I messed around with Ky, and Millia. Leaning towards Chipp just to do some cool ass strider bullshit but apparently i'd be playing the new doom.

Dahbomb

Meter gain to get Phoenix 5 isn't an issue... even Wesker could get close and he doesn't build that much meter.

Dante is unique in that he has very high meterless damage without even using assists. He could kill many characters off of a regular BnB. Plus the combination of excellent anti air normals, invincible Hammer and invincible Haggar assist meant that he was very hard to hit even with Wolverine. In addition, Dante got a full combo off of a Haggar hit because it used to cause hard knockdown.

The nerfs to Haggar assist (no hard knockdown, no vulnerability), nerfs to his anti air normals (hit box, hit stun, more knockback... pretty much triple nerfed), nerf to Hammer (much reduced invincibility), severe nerfs to Dante's combo scaling (pretty much halves his meterless damage) made this combination pretty much non-existent in UMVC3. Dante can still build very good meter but without his point capabilities he is not a good pick for a Phoenix on point.

Beesuit

This will forever be my favorite combo video, because I don't know what's going on most of the time, and that perfectly encapsulates the spirit of Marvel. Plus, it introduced me to Rhapsody, and they have some cool songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBcgTQetz2I
Since you bought up combo videos, I figured I'll share some of my favourite ones as well.

SSFIV: CMV No. 4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvhMIDW__8
ST-Tribute (RFD 2011 Edition) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob01PmaSp4
SF? Ryu Exhibition (Evo2k9+OHN8 Edition) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lBYMq8BNS0

Dahbomb

Do we expect to see anything substantial for Tekken 7 or will it be standard PR lip service? I know they aren't showing any game play.

Essay

Maybe he was just fishing for some buffs, with ASW's crew being there and all...

Yeah, I've never seen him demolished quite that bad, but there are plenty of possible reasons for it. Of course, if you're on to something, they had better not nerf my character over it. :V

Sayah

Do we expect to see anything substantial for Tekken 7 or will it be standard PR lip service? I know they aren't showing any game play.

He said he'll talk about the new characters.

Go in with very low expectations if you're going to stay up.

Plus, apparently Tekken games looking ugly during location tests is a common thing. I'd rather they show the game at best visual quality.

Gif posted by AAK.

Tekken 5 location test vs. final game
ibkOQF91zfKuKM.gif

Top Bottom