• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Azure J

NRS games really does not have a come back mechanic. Once someone stops playing the game they never want to come back.

Kadey coming through throwing bleach in eyes, damn.

Still smh at people thinking the aiming and grenades were going to be bad.

Edit: Also loving that Elphelt roll. Looks really quick

I was pretty surprised about people feeling like she was going to be bad. At most I saw her being a bit slower and more "huntswoman"/methodological about her guns but this is just so rad. I love her air dash and roll speed. I've always wanted to try a fast gunner type in traditional fighting games.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Just to test my theory, I searched MvC on Twitch. Checked the top 3 streams in search results. Watched them for 10 seconds. This is what I saw.

AirJuggle stream - What I saw: Vergil's win taunt
RayRay19wun stream - What I saw: Playing in practice. Using Doom.
TheNiceLab stream - What I saw: Zero doing his loops

This is not even me opportunistically waiting for these characters to show up on stream. It's the first click.

Only basing my opinion based on what I see on streams when I decide to click every now and then. I call that tier whoring.

ICE COLD.
LOL
I just think it's a dumb complaint for every fighting game ever. Of course people gravitate towards the better characters.

More importantly, it's not the worst thing about Marvel today.

kirblar

I just think it's a dumb complaint for every fighting game ever. Of course people gravitate towards the better characters.
Yeah, it's part of any competitive game- the whining about it isn't limited to FGs either - you see people whine about other people not handicapping themselves with subpar character/deck/strategy choices in pretty much every medium. It's why balance talk is often hard as what people often want isn't balance, but for their character to just be OP.

jbug617

Banned
Doesn't look like the next-gen fighting game and the PS4 game are the same thing, unless there's a Taiwanese FG developer we don't know about.

Isn't Chaos Code from Taiwan? I still say the PS4 exclusive is probably a new IP that Capcom picked up.

Sayah

More importantly, it's not the worst thing about Marvel today.

Yes, people will gravitate towards the stronger/better characters. But when I watch stream for other fighters, I don't always see the same names.

I love MvC3 and probably have 200+ hours in vanilla. I understand its harder to balance this game due to how its gameplay mechanics structured. But regardless, I do not like the sameness/consistency in the characters people choose. And it seems to be more occurring in MvC3 in contrast to other fighters.

NRS games really does not have a come back mechanic. Once someone stops playing the game they never want to come back.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! I've never seen a someone body of a game like until the FGC got SFxT.

There was a meet up in Liverpool yesterday. I bumped into a friend of Bumblebee Cody's.

I came in with a bad mood and got stuck in it for the night. I am still in that funk now. Other people get to be good at SF, I get to be an autistic pillock.

Ah yeah Tenrai. I told him to tell you we have some form of connection (him being a personal friend and you being on FGC Gaf).
:)
He plays BlazBlue all the time and loves Azumarill. ;D

notworksafe

Just to test my theory, I searched MvC on Twitch. Checked the top 3 streams in search results. Watched them for 10 seconds. This is what I saw.

AirJuggle stream - What I saw: Vergil's win taunt
RayRay19wun stream - What I saw: Playing in practice. Using Doom.
TheNiceLab stream - What I saw: Zero doing his loops

This is not even me opportunistically waiting for these characters to show up on stream. It's the first click.

Only basing my opinion based on what I see on streams when I decide to click every now and then. I call that tier whoring.

that's not a problem with the game, which was your original claim.

That's Capcom in general:
MvC3 is Tron, Doom, Magneto and Wesker.
Street Fighter 4 was Sagat
SSFIVAE 2012 was Cammy, Akuma and Seth (so on and so on)
It's how the Metagame works and mostly with Capcom games. You're gonna see those same characters constantly appearing.

Put Killer Instinct or Tekken in and you'll find nearly every character being used and doing well in tournaments.

Now I know using c-stick is much easier, I found a video on some guy doing toon link's bomb jump and I didn't know you could agt while throwing the bomb at the same time. I thought I have to do agt then throwing the bomb. Now I find it easier using c-stick.

mikerosstrollface0un4.gif

Sports Friends is also free this month. It has that BaraBariBall game that's smash like. I think a guy has a lariat in it too. Kind of wish I started that up instead because downloading, installing, and updating psabr is taking a long long time.

BaraBariBall is pretty fun. No CPU still irks me a little, but I guess that's the hook of the compilation. Super Pole Riders is another choice game in that set.

Sayah

That's exactly the problem with the game. Certain characters ARE OVERKILL. They're too good. While other characters are stuck being trash and non-viable in a real competitive setting. Like who's gonna get to grand finals with a Hsien-Ko?

kirblar

That's exactly the problem with the game. Certain characters ARE OVERKILL. They're too good. While other characters are stuck being trash and non-viable in a real competitive setting. Like who's gonna get to grand finals with a Hsien-Ko?
The overall feel of the game is great- the balance issues are more "contracts and money say we aren't going to touch it" which is a great shame considering how strong the base game is. USF4 proved they can actually put out a good balance update if they put in the work.

USF4 proved they can actually put out a good balance update if they put in the work.

True. Hopefully the put in the work next time.

If Champ, Justin or Chris G chose to play Hsien-Ko, they would still win. It isn't just about characters being strong, it is more about them being easy and the work required.

Sayah

The overall feel of the game is great- the balance issues are more "contracts and money say we aren't going to touch it" which is a great shame considering how strong the base game is. USF4 proved they can actually put out a good balance update if they put in the work.

They had a second chance at balancing it with Ultimate. They made it worse. Either they went overboard with nerfing characters (read: She-Hulk, Tron) or they made them stupid strong.

Wesker isn't as OP anymore, yaaaaaay.

>_>

You get the point.

Seyavesh

They had a second chance at balancing it with Ultimate. They made it worse. Either they went overboard with nerfing characters (read: She-Hulk, Tron) or they made them stupid strong.

are you saying that vanilla character balance was better than ultimate
or that vanilla is a better game

like with a straight face, are you saying that

Dahbomb

I don't think character viability is the problem in MVC3. It's like 3-4 times more varied than MVC2 for example and the amount of characters used in tournaments is still fairly high. There are more characters used in high level MVC3 play than there are characters in Skullgirls.

If I could condense MVC3's problems into 3 bullet points it would be the following:

*TACs. Anything involving this mechanic is terrible for the game and for fighting games in general.

*The one player game syndrome combined with long ass combos. Zero, Firebrand, Team Nemo, Wolverine teams are all culprit to this... most other rushdown teams have to have this as well. It's a combination of high damage and obscene incoming mix ups.

*Hidden Missiles lockdown game play. Most of the zoning teams that are top tier in MVC3 involve this assist only the super top tiers exploit this assist to completely lock down teams and limit their options severely. This is basically the counter part to the rushdown one player game... where Zero can stop you from playing by doing combos and mix ups on you... Vergil stops you from playing by calling Missiles and turning on Spiral Swords. Missiles also creates huge gaps in tiers by itself because while there are many lower tier characters who can tough characters like Magneto, Dorm or Morrigan... they really can't do it if those characters are backed by Missiles. Plus the mechanics behind that assist are really fucking stupid.

Other people refer to stuff like high hit stun, generous hit boxes, high damage, XF etc. as problems in MVC3. These things are over tuned on a character by character basis but they are not core issues with the game. Yes someone like Nova has way too much hit stun on his j.H but then when you nerf him he becomes someone like Dante who becomes inconsistent in his anti air hit confirms and most top players drop him from any other position except support. Stuff like high hit stun is sort of vital for non airborne characters because otherwise they would do shit damage to flying characters and put the favor back in for air dashers like it has been in the Versus games for a decade. MVC3 actually did a very good job of minimalizing the advantage that air dash characters have... they still do but ground based characters are still very strong in this game (Wolverine, Vergil etc).

This statement is completely false and you know it. The bias with She Hulk/Tron is ridiculous.

For every bad decision they made pertaining to balance they made 9 other good balance decisions.

Remember when Haggar was unplayable as a point? What about Berderper Slash and the ridiculous Hammer? Vanilla Phoenix salty balls? Vanilla Magneto with ridiculous mobility and EMD? Wesker with full screen gun shot confirms and superior counter hyper? What about when Dorm was a relatively incomplete character and was turned into a character that could actually win majors/EVO? Did you already forget the DHC glitch or how ridiculous XF1 was or how much insane the meter gain was in the game that you would build the other person 5 bars by just killing their first 2 characters?

f Champ, Justin or Chris G chose to play Hsien-Ko, they would still win.
Justin winning some vanilla tournament with Hsien Ko/Thor/Chris.

Basically ALL of what Dahbomb said up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

EDIT:

Also some character MAY of gotten nerf to hell which was NO reason for, but others became GOOD because they needed buffs to become playable characters

Chris: Couldn't cancel his c.H or j.dH at all, making this OTG useless unless he had assists to help him continue the combo, and his mobilty was ASS, but they made him better because of the overall changes that he NEEDED to become better. being able to cancel his gunshot normals, being able to cancel his dash, better scaling on his special moves, and made his j.S better too, because of this he is in the top 20 in this game.

Haggar: In Vanilla he was an Assist only character, and if he was the only one left, you most likely lost the match no matter what, because he had no OTG, he needed an OTG assist to continue the combo for him, and his damage output was TERRIBLE, and having no invincible hyper at all. In UMVC3 he got a OTG move, his c.H, that he able to continue the combo with assists, able to now combo into his OTG hyper a lot easier, because of his OTG it made his damage output amazing, also they gave him a better airthrow that he can combo from it easier now, and gave him an invincible hyper too.

Arthur: Even thought he is still low tier, he is TONS better then what he was in vanilla, most consider him the worst character in vanilla and I agree, because he had no mobility at all, TERRIBLE jumping normals, and other shit, in UMVC3 they made his j.S amazing, and also gave him mobility at the same time by being able to cancel it into specials and making him fall faster during it, and making it able to OTG, and they also gave him more health also, in this game he is able to now fight against rushdown because of his better mobility and also giving him a DP move that is invincible too!

Others that they fixed:

Akuma: made him so he can be used an a point character and gave him better damage output

Trish: gave her an OTG hyper to fix her damage output.

Captain Amercia: Gave him easier damage options, and an a OTG

Deadpool: Increase his damage by giving the ability to cancel his teleports from his specials, and gave him a better airthrow.

Dormammu: Gave him an OTG to help with his damage output, and made his spells usable by coming out after they get charged fully, and other various buffs too.

Thor: Gave him armor on mighty strike and decreased the charging time for it, gave him better damage scaling, made his command grab hyper useful, and made his command grab specials better

There are characters that got overbuffed, but overall there are characters that were terrible/incomplete characters in vanilla that got TONS better because of buffs/fixed that they needed to become usable in the game.

Sayah

are you saying that vanilla character balance was better than ultimate
or that vanilla is a better game

like with a straight face, are you saying that

I enjoyed vanilla far more and consider it to be better than ultimate.

In vanilla, I had the main team of She-Hulk/Tron/Trish. The nerfs in Ultimate pretty much made me not want to use She-Hulk or Tron anymore. And after that, I couldn't find a suitable team for myself despite trying several times. My secondary characters (deadpool, ammy, magneto) just aren't good enough. Which reminds me, Ultimate also took out the BnB combo I had for Magneto in Vanilla. And despite everyone saying the new BnB for Magneto is Ultimate is easy, I can't perform it.

Vanilla had overpowered phoenix and wesker. Ultimate just replaced them with other more powerful characters.

Hidden Missiles is also the dumbest thing.

Dahbomb

Trish is like way better in UMVC3 than in MVC3. So is Deadpool actually.

Vanilla had over powered Phoenix, Dante, Wolverine, Magneto, Wesker. Every top team was top point (one of those characters) plus invincible assist and Phoenix. or it was shit.

You can't just look at your own team and be like "well my team isn't as good anymore guess this game sucks" you have to look at the bigger picture. That just screams of player bias.

Another important aspect of Ultimate compared to Vanilla was that zoning was finally viable. The presence of Wolverine and Phoenix made zoning in MVC3 non viable even with Missiles. There were many changes made to improve zoning in the game including a bunch of zoning characters getting better zoning buffs (Morrigan, Dorm, Trish, MODOK, Chris etc). That alone makes UMVC3 a vastly superior game to MVC3... the fact that one entire playstyle was irrelevant in one game and not in the other.

jbug617

Banned
Mad Catz stream should be starting with in the next hr. Today they are going to show GG Xrd, P4U, DOA5 LR, the exhibitions and the Tekken news last

Seems like the Daigo vs Nemo match is happening on Sunday.

Sayah

This statement is completely false and you know it. The bias with She Hulk/Tron is ridiculous.

For every bad decision they made pertaining to balance they made 9 other good balance decisions.

Remember when Haggar was unplayable as a point? What about Berderper Slash and the ridiculous Hammer? Vanilla Phoenix salty balls? Vanilla Magneto with ridiculous mobility and EMD? Wesker with full screen gun shot confirms and superior counter hyper? What about when Dorm was a relatively incomplete character and was turned into a character that could actually win majors/EVO? Did you already forget the DHC glitch or how ridiculous XF1 was or how much insane the meter gain was in the game that you would build the other person 5 bars by just killing their first 2 characters?

Justin winning some vanilla tournament with Hsien Ko/Thor/Chris.

I'd rather have vanilla doom instead of Ultimate doom.

What does Ultimate Doom do? Spam hidden missiles. Mash on that assist button. Competitively viable now? More like overpowered as shit and ensuring every other person has him in his team.

But at the end of the day, I don't have as much knowledge as you do on the series so I'll just leave it at this: From my personal perspective, Vanilla > Ultimate

Dahbomb

I'd rather have vanilla doom instead of Ultimate doom.

What does Ultimate Doom do? Spam hidden missiles. Mash on that assist button. Competitively viable now? More like overpowered as shit and ensuring every other person has him in his team.
That's bull shit because Doom as a support character can still do all that in Vanilla. He still has his TAC combos in Vanilla as well as well as OP Missiles and Plasma Beam.

Go boot up MVC3 and try to do the same Morrigan + Doom stuff... it still works in Vanilla. What's different is that a character like Wolverine would not give a fuck about that and just Berderper Slash through it with no thought or skill or he will just let his whole team die and kill your team with Phoenix (as Morrigan does not have meter steal fireball and Phoenix is just way stronger). That's brain dead as hell.

Seyavesh

zero wasn't really explored in vanilla but he's actually just as stupid as his ultimate version with some slight tradeoffs between the versions. but it's not really a big deal anyways because in the end dante would've probably still wrecked him. i am a firm believer that vanilla dante is better than ultimate zero and morrigan by miles, though a large part of that is also the pairing of vanilla haggar assist with him.

also hidden missiles is the exact same as it is in vanilla. like yeah, the ultimate changes make him more viable as a playable character but his overall role and function in teams is still the same and none of his assists changed so your complaint would still be the exact same if vanilla doom carried over into ultimate, haha

the difference is that you couldn't zone out wolverine or dante so it didn't matter whether you had missiles out of not because they'd just become invincible and continue comboing you

it was pretty funny, there was a time where i actually had three staggered sets of missiles out by doing the hidden missiles glitch as doom on point and a wolverine proceeded to hit me, berserker charge and then do the berserker slash loop through all 18 of the missiles

edit: gdi beaten

also morrigan is actually significantly worse in vanilla- her changes are actually more shocking as a 'remembrance' thing than doom or mags (i will never forget vanilla zerker slash ugggggg)- her flight is way slower to start up and her fireballs cause significantly less chip/do less overall damage alongside not juggling for more than like 3 (at most!) fireballs when in astral. alongside that her dashes are way slower and shell kick is really garbage, speed and hitbox wise.

she was pretty damn mediocre, it's great! but then the guy you're fighting picks one of the top tier characters in vanilla and you're just in awe at how absurdly powerful they are

like yo have any of yall tried plinkdashing as magneto in vanilla marvel 3? you can cause the camera snapback glitch consistently it's fucking hilarious how fast he is

Sayah

Trish is like way better in UMVC3 than in MVC3. So is Deadpool actually.

Vanilla had over powered Phoenix, Dante, Wolverine, Magneto, Wesker. Every top team was top point (one of those characters) plus invincible assist and Phoenix. or it was shit.

You can't just look at your own team and be like "well my team isn't as good anymore guess this game sucks" you have to look at the bigger picture. That just screams of player bias.

Another important aspect of Ultimate compared to Vanilla was that zoning was finally viable. The presence of Wolverine and Phoenix made zoning in MVC3 non viable even with Missiles. There were many changes made to improve zoning in the game including a bunch of zoning characters getting better zoning buffs (Morrigan, Dorm, Trish, MODOK, Chris etc). That alone makes UMVC3 a vastly superior game to MVC3... the fact that one entire playstyle was irrelevant in one game and not in the other.

I never said the game sucked. You're just putting words in my mouth that I never said, lol.

I know Trish is better. She can use her hyper on grounded opponents now, which is great and all but having her powered up isn't going to compensate for the other two characters. It's a team game after all.

Dahbomb

Yea like Seya said, Missiles weren't changed... the top tiers in Vanilla were. That just caused a gradient shift where people moved away from the previous top stuff and moved on to the next best thing.

Vanilla Dante and Vanilla Phoenix were the best character ever followed closely by Vanilla Wolverine and Vanilla Magneto. These characters were ridiculous... I know it's been 3 years since that game but you have to believe me when I say that when they were nerfed it was all completely justified.

Also Wesker in Vanilla wasn't top 5. Top 10 for sure but both Viper and Zero were better than him.

gutabo

There was a meet up in Liverpool yesterday. I bumped into a friend of Bumblebee Cody's.

I came in with a bad mood and got stuck in it for the night. I am still in that funk now. Other people get to be good at SF, I get to be an autistic pillock.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you seem to be a socially competent person, being able to socialize, empathize and to coherently talk about what's on your head. My mother in law, on the other hand...

Rhapsody

Banned
also morrigan is actually significantly worse in vanilla- her changes are actually more shocking as a 'remembrance' thing than doom or mags (i will never forget vanilla zerker slash ugggggg)- her flight is way slower to start up and her fireballs cause significantly less chip/do less overall damage alongside not juggling for more than like 3 (at most!) fireballs when in astral. alongside that her dashes are way slower and shell kick is really garbage, speed and hitbox wise.

she was pretty damn mediocre, it's great! but then the guy you're fighting picks one of the top tier characters in vanilla and you're just in awe at how absurdly powerful they are

like yo have any of yall tried plinkdashing as magneto in vanilla marvel 3? you can cause the camera snapback glitch consistently it's fucking hilarious how fast he is

Yup. Morrigan + Doom is way less potent in vanilla. Those buffs worked wonders for her lol

Top Bottom