• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombless

Wow, asked Hobby Search for a day or two extension on my payment for Figma Okabe since I got the notice late yesterday and with banks closed today I could be cutting it close on their 3 day rule.
Well got and email back and they gave me an extra week and a half.

I ended up spending just a few euros too much in London back in October and the payment for my Hobby Search order of the month bounced. I asked then for a couple days more because I was still in London and they gave me 10 extra days... Cool people.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah it's BS, not like most items on amiami aren't sold out anyway, or get that way in due time. They'd move the units. Items likely to be pre-ordered are probably more in-demand items, so why would they even be worried? Possibly it is related to warehouse space? They are afaid of over-ordering anything because they don't have space to store a lot of extra stock.

Love western retailers like amazon, cancel anytime, no questions asked. I'm way more likely to place an order for something if I don't feel like i'm being held to the fire on going through with payment. I'm pretty much pre-ordering stuff on amazon constantly, and keep 75% of those orders if not more.

*edit*

I ordered figma spidey in my last order. Should arrive... Saturday? Maybe? Found this thread with pics:

http://nov.2chan.net/y/res/2984089.htm

Here is a sample:

76kw1Lh.jpg

Frankly I like it. Sure, ASM2 costume would be better, but they did a great job.

Why is canceling a preorder such a big deal with Japanese retailers?

I dunno, man. It's practically unheard of in the West. TFAW.com is generally the only place I've seen that doesn't allow order cancellations.

Yeah it's BS, not like most items on amiami aren't sold out anyway, or get that way in due time. They'd move the units. Items likely to be pre-ordered are probably more in-demand items, so why would they even be worried? Possibly it is related to warehouse space? They are afaid of over-ordering anything because they don't have space to store a lot of extra stock.

Some figures are made-to-order. In those cases, whatever the number of produced figures would all be to fill pre-orders. But I'm sure there's always going to be someone who missed the pre-order boat and would jump on it. If AmiAmi would institute a system that let people better manage their own orders, I'd be much happier with them. I mean, HLJ does it, but they charge you an extra $10 on most figures for the privelage.

chrono01

I pre-ordered Ryuko Matoi. I could not resist. If a better one comes along later, well...I will buy that one too!

As for Panty, I'm kind of hesitant to pre-order her. I don't know why, but considering some are having issues with her face [although I don't mind it], I just have a feeling that she might hit the bargain bin later. :/

Saber Bride looks great but my collection is already filled with Saber figures. Granted I don't have one of Saber Bride, so this would be different...

That Luigi Nendoroid is great. I hope they extend the line beyond Wind Waker Link. We need a Mario [and a Yoshi/Peach/Bowser/Toad] to accompany Luigi.

Rootbeer

Banned
That Luigi Nendoroid is great. I hope they extend the line beyond Wind Waker Link. We need a Mario [and a Yoshi/Peach/Bowser/Toad] to accompany Luigi.

Hoping for Kirby. Mario is a must, and hopefully it's already in the pipeline. I have some mario figures but nothing of this quality. Pretty excited honestly.

Donkey Kong? Diddy Kong? Earthbound stuff? the well goes very, very deep.

Also hoping for more Figma. I have Link/Samus/Pitt/Dark Pitt, i'll buy every Nintendo figure they put out at this rate!

I pre-ordered Ryuko Matoi. I could not resist. If a better one comes along later, well...I will buy that one too!

As for Panty, I'm kind of hesitant to pre-order her. I don't know why, but considering some are having issues with her face [although I don't mind it], I just have a feeling that she might hit the bargain bin later. :/

Ha ha, yes! I knew you'd cave on Ryuko. She shot to the top of AmiAmi's best-seller list, even ahead of Maka.

As for Panty.... I hated the show. I like the character designs, but that's about it. As for the figures, the ones from Alter look so much better. The pose here is truer to Panty's character, but the figure is just so... not pretty.

chrono01

Hoping for Kirby. Mario is a must, and hopefully it's already in the pipeline. I have some mario figures but nothing of this quality. Pretty excited honestly.

Donkey Kong? Diddy Kong? Earthbound stuff? the well goes very, very deep.

Also hoping for more Figma. I have Link/Samus/Pitt/Dark Pitt, i'll buy every Nintendo figure they put out at this rate!
Indeed. More Nintendo anything would be appreciated. I would buy them all!

Ha ha, yes! I knew you'd cave on Ryuko. She shot to the top of AmiAmi's best-seller list, even ahead of Maka.

As for Panty.... I hated the show. I like the character designs, but that's about it. As for the figures, the ones from Alter look so much better. The pose here is truer to Panty's character, but the figure is just so... not pretty.
Yeah, that surprised me. I didn't expect her to reach the top slot so quickly, but then, given the popularity of the show, I guess that's to be expected.

As for Panty, I didn't "hate" the show, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I do like the character designs, though, and I prefer her in the schoolgirl outfit, since that's how we saw her for a large portion of the show. But something about this figure doesn't scream "PURCHASE" to me, I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps I'm just becoming more particular about my figure purchases?

Busaiku

Just got Aladdin in.
I was kind of worried about the recorder thing, since I wasn't sure if his head was detachable or not.

SD Aladdin is actually a keychain thing too, so that's cool.

Still, so skinny.

As for Panty, I didn't "hate" the show, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I do like the character designs, though, and I prefer her in the schoolgirl outfit, since that's how we saw her for a large portion of the show. But something about this figure doesn't scream "PURCHASE" to me, I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps I'm just becoming more particular about my figure purchases?

It's a good thing to be pickier about what you buy. Especially with figure prices climbing the way they are. For me, it's the quality of the sculpt that's keeping me away. It has this look about it that makes it look like it came from a third-rate company.

I want to combine Alphamax and Toda Satoshi's Saber Bride into one figure. Toda fucked up the pose, but everything else looks great and her outfit is zipped up, Alpha Max has a more reasonable pose but unzipped her top. Also Alphamax's prices are Alter high.

chrono01

I want to combine Alphamax and Toda Satoshi's Saber Bride into one figure. Toda fucked up the pose, but everything else looks great and her outfit is zipped up, Alpha Max has a more reasonable pose but unzipped her top. Also Alphamax's prices are Alter high.
The un-zipped issue doesn't bother me, but I would like to see what GSC/Alter would come up with should they have made a Saber Bride figure. Maybe at WonderFes?

The un-zipped issue doesn't bother me, but I would like to see what GSC/Alter would come up with should they have made a Saber Bride figure. Maybe at WonderFes?

I don't suppose it really bothers me, but I do think it would look better closed. I'd be interested in an Alter/GSC version as well although, like you, it's not like I really need more Sabers :p I certainly still seem to want them though.

Shimakaze is probably the next thing I want to see from GSC. Amakuni's being exclusive and priced the way it is makes it worth waiting, and I can't see it being bad from the illu and half sculpt pictures that are on MFC.

Edit: Just remembered GSC have a Saber Extra and Sakura Saber in the works. Might have to wait a while before they get to Bride lol

chrono01

ughhh just paid 150 for jubei glossy version with the preorder bonus. I guess its around the same price as the aftermarket matte version
Same here. Well, it was a bit over $160 with EMS shipping to Canada. She will be worth ever cent.

I don't suppose it really bothers me, but I do think it would look better closed. I'd be interested in an Alter/GSC version as well although, like you, it's not like I really need more Sabers :p I certainly still seem to want them though.

Shimakaze is probably the next thing I want to see from GSC. Amakuni's being exclusive and priced the way it is makes it worth waiting, and I can't see it being bad from the illu and half sculpt pictures that are on MFC.

Edit: Just remembered GSC have a Saber Extra and Sakura Saber in the works. Might have to wait a while before they get to Bride lol
Shimakaze looks great. I was tempted to pre-order the version from Amakuni, but when I saw GSC's sculpt [as well as the fact that Amakuni is exclusive], well...the decision was easy.

I had completely forgotten about Saber Extra/Sakura Saber. If they do make a Saber Bride, you're likely correct in saying that it will be a long...long wait. However, I am a patient man! To be honest, if Alphamax version were cheaper, I'd probably purchase her, but for that price I'm hesitant to do so.

Also, Bayonetta in-stock at HLJ! It's happening, it's really happening!

http://www.hlj.com/product/PHT57426/Fig

johnsmith

remember me
So after seeing the pics of Megahouse's Sorceress I thought about canceling the Alphamax one, but when I looked at her again I realize I do like her even if she's not 100% accurate to Kamitani's art. Screw the haters. She looks great.

W4FuxBx.png

BDABeqs.png

kewlmyc

So after seeing the pics of Megahouse's Sorceress I thought about canceling the Alphamax one, but when I looked at her again I realize I do like her even if she's not 100% accurate to Kamitani's art. Screw the haters. She looks great.

W4FuxBx.png

BDABeqs.png

She's adequate at breast.

chrono01

W4FuxBx.png

BDABeqs.png
She looks fine, IMO. Not great, but not horrible either.

I definitely prefer Megahouse's sculpt, though. I hope to see what Orchid Seed has planned before I make the decision to go with MH.

Bombless

She's adequate at breast.

It's a good thing I work nightshift and the office is deserted, because I laughed so loud at this...

My only problem with the Alphamax figure is the fact my brain keeps telling me the nipples are missing. It bugs me way too much. It's a shame, because the base is just wicked.

Bombless

Anyone payed for something on Hobby Search with paypal?
Does the process normally feel so cheap/ripoff like?

Huh? What do you mean by cheap/ripoff? I do all my HS orders through preapproved Paypal. As soon as the order is ready they automatically take the money. It's painless and instant, I don't even have to watch over my inbox.

Huh? What do you mean by cheap/ripoff? I do all my HS orders through preapproved Paypal. As soon as the order is ready they automatically take the money. It's painless and instant, I don't even have to watch over my inbox.
I didn't do auto.
I first received the item in stock email followed bythe payment request email,
Link in payment request goes right to paypal, select payment type continue,
Leads directly to a Hobby Search screen that basically says thank you.
No confirmation screen or anything.
Also received no confirmation from Hobby Search, only got the typical paypal notice.

Now on Hobby Search I cant find anything that shows I paid it.

Bombless

I didn't do auto.
I first received the item in stock email followed bythe payment request email,
Link in payment request goes right to paypal, select payment type continue,
Leads directly to a Hobby Search screen that basically says thank you.
No confirmation screen or anything.
Also received no confirmation from Hobby Search, only got the typical paypal notice.

Now on Hobby Search I cant find anything that shows I paid it.

They need to confirm the payment was received on their side, then you will receive their own confirmation email.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Kotobukiya Bishoujo Psylocke X-Force Edition arrived today. I ordered it from Kotobukiya USA this time instead of importing. Four or so weeks after the Japanese release doesn't seem so bad, plus it was a lot cheaper than getting it from say, Play-Asia.

One arm has a slight scuff mark and the left leg came loose. Thought it was broken, but that piece can come off. You can see the line separating the body piece and the leg piece close-up.

Compared with the original Psylocke figure. Don't be fooled by the perspective- the original figure is smaller in size. The new version is much better.

LiK

Kotobukiya Bishoujo Psylocke X-Force Edition arrived today:

Compared with the original Psylocke figure. Don't be fooled by the perspective- the original figure is smaller in size. The new version is much better.

wow, she looks' really nice.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I ordered the Lineage II Dark Elf I posted earlier :)

This is the first figure I've bought for myself. When I went to order it off 1999 which had it in stock when I posted the picture, it sold out. 1999 was the last place I knew that had it. The figure came up on Amiami as a broken box item with the figure inside undamaged. The price was cheaper too. I don't care about the box, so it is whatever.

Bombless

Decided to take up the offer of free 30 mins internet at the airport...5 mins in Amiami hits me with the email that my December order is ready! Paid on the spot. 9880jpy for Ems shipping. I was expecting more tbh. BUT the important thing is the box will be home by the time I return from my vacation, FUCK YEAH!

Second Christmas is best Christmas.

That looks like it's going to be a very painful fall when she lands.

I ordered the Lineage II Dark Elf I posted earlier :)

This is the first figure I've bought for myself. When I went to order it off 1999 which had it in stock when I posted the picture, it sold out. 1999 was the last place I knew that had it. The figure came up on Amiami as a broken box item with the figure inside undamaged. The price was cheaper too. I don't care about the box, so it is whatever.

Congratulations. Seems luck was on your side. So what do you have in mind for your second figure?

Cheska

Bayonetta has been paid for and locked in. Hope I don't regret this!

Also have Lightning Returns play art en route, whee!

Elixir

Only did it once, but I said "the person who wanted these items is no longer in my life".

Ever heard of tempting fate?

Why is canceling a preorder such a big deal with Japanese retailers?

It's quite simple.

1. Amiami (or any hobby enthusiast store, really) has to order stock. They're allocated (let's say) 30 of Alter's Suzuha. Right? These stores have to pay to stock the item in the first place, for you. If you have customers mess you around constantly, it's a pain. If the purchase:cancel ratio is too great, you're better off being banned.

2. Quick cancellations are fine, but once the store's preorder deadline with the distributor has been met, cancellations actually hurt the store. Assuming all 30 are presold, one cancellation from a customer means one additional leftover out of that 30 which has to be onsold to someone else.

chrono01

Ever heard of tempting fate?

It's quite simple.

1. Amiami (or any hobby enthusiast store, really) has to order stock. They're allocated (let's say) 30 of Alter's Suzuha. Right? These stores have to pay to stock the item in the first place, for you. If you have customers mess you around constantly, it's a pain. If the purchase:cancel ratio is too great, you're better off being banned.

2. Quick cancellations are fine, but once the store's preorder deadline with the distributor has been met, cancellations actually hurt the store. Assuming all 30 are presold, one cancellation from a customer means one additional leftover out of that 30 which has to be onsold to someone else.
Add to this the storage/space issues for cancelled figures with massive boxes [such as Ultimate Madoka] and you have a big problem.

I paid for my December AmiAmi order, as well. 56,000 yen. -_-

So many great figures, though. I can't wait to receive it. Here's hoping it ships out before the stores close for the year/early part of next year [in Japan]!

george_us

It's quite simple.

Sure but a lot of these figures seem demand outstrips supply. Even if people cancel their orders, I have to imagine the retailer wouldn't have a problem selling unsold stock.

Sure but a lot of these figures seem like they either outstrip demand thus selling out quickly. Even if people cancel their orders, I have to imagine the retailer wouldn't have a problem selling unsold stock.

you're only thinking about the popular items. For every popular item, there are probably 10-20 more that aren't hot and they get stuck with them. Also space becomes an issue. Yeah you can sell it, but the time you didn't sell it means less space for you to work with for the new products.

Its understandable for a smaller comapny. Amazon, Best Buy and etc are all bigger by a large amount. They can afford to easy take a preorder cancel and not worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom