• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

Just curious, but do people not like this company or something? Is there a reason other than their prices? I'm not a big figure person but the first time I visited the Nintendo World Store years ago I bought their Varia Suit Samus and Skull Kid and think they're pretty amazing. Haven't purchased anything from them since but feel like I often see them mentioned derisively and was wondering what the cause was.

Nah I don't dislike F4F, I own their Skull Kid and Sheik statues (which I really like), but they can be very expensive. I wish I had their Dark Link admittedly.

meijiko

Just curious, but do people not like this company or something? Is there a reason other than their prices? I'm not a big figure person but the first time I visited the Nintendo World Store years ago I bought their Varia Suit Samus and Skull Kid and think they're pretty amazing. Haven't purchased anything from them since but feel like I often see them mentioned derisively and was wondering what the cause was.

In general, people are turned off by their prices and insistence on using heavy and fragile polystone. Most of the crowd around here is focused on PVC, which produces more detailed figures at a lower cost, so to many the big, heavy statues aren't really worth it.

My husband and I collect the Zelda figures, and while they're impressive in size and general quality, it's kind of hard to continually justify paying so much for these giant figures.

My husband and I collect the Zelda figures, and while they're impressive in size and general quality, it's kind of hard to continually justify paying so much for these giant figures.
I wish Nintendo did a better job with the toy license for Zelda.
Yeah having a few of the high quality figures is great but why is the Figma Link the only mass market Zelda figure since Majora's Mask?

I don't know, but I'm a huge fan, personally. I own the Varia Suit you linked, along with both Metroid Gunships and I couldn't be happier.

I just preordered the Vyse exclusive. Heavy polystone be damned, their work is generally excellent (the awful Zero Suit Samus not withstanding)

meijiko

I wish Nintendo did a better job with the toy license for Zelda.
Yeah having a few of the high quality figures is great but why is the Figma Link the only mass market Zelda figure since Majora's Mask?

They're getting better. We've got Skyward Sword figma Link, Real Action Heroes Link, Windwaker Nendoroid, and ALBW figma. I just wish they'd push for more scale static figures, because I know some companies could do some really gorgeous work with those designs.

george_us

Goddammit I wish I hadn't waited to buy 7th Dragon 2020 Samurai. I had no clue how rare she was until I saw her going for $300+ on Amazon last week. Not to mention Nippon-Yassan has her for $350 (ahahahahahaha). Hell $200 is seems to be the low end with the going rate being anywhere between $300 and $400. Might have to bite if I can find her new-ish for ~$200 even if that's a batshit insane price. Maybe MF will find it in their kind and gentle hearts to issue a re-release.

They're getting better. We've got Skyward Sword figma Link, Real Action Heroes Link, Windwaker Nendoroid, and ALBW figma. I just wish they'd push for more scale static figures, because I know some companies could do some really gorgeous work with those designs.

Thats true,
and they have so many styles and characters available to them to draw from.

Still holding out hope for a Princess Zelda on the Figma front though.
We have to get a Tetra eventually with Nendo Link right?

Do you get your account banned if you cancel a preorder from Nippon-Yasan?

And I assume you can change your address for a preorder later? I am trying to preorder something releasing on December and I have no idea where I will be in December.
Nah you can cancel whenever you want even when they just asked you for payment on a preorder as long as you do it before their designated date of payment.
Still holding out hope for a Princess Zelda on the Figma front though.
We have to get a Tetra eventually with Nendo Link right?
;__;
Still waiting on an update on that Lucina Figma as well T__T

chrono01

Goddammit I wish I hadn't waited to buy 7th Dragon 2020 Samurai. I had no clue how rare she was until I saw her going for $300+ on Amazon last week. Not to mention Nippon-Yassan has her for $350 (ahahahahahaha). Hell $200 is seems to be the low end with the going rate being anywhere between $300 and $400. Might have to bite if I can find her new-ish for ~$200 even if that's a batshit insane price. Maybe MF will find it in their kind and gentle hearts to issue a re-release.
I wish you luck.

The only Max Factory figures that I can remember getting released, at least in the last several years, are Saber/Kiritsugu [and even then, they're "revised" and not a typical re-release] and Zero Suit Samus/Samus Figma [that might have to do more with Nintendo wanting a re-release than MF themselves].

Other than that, they typically only do one run, which is probably why so many of their figures retain their high value. Either way, I hope you're successful in tracking down a Samurai for a decent price. She's well worth it.

Nah you can cancel whenever you want even when they just asked you for payment on a preorder as long as you do it before their designated date of payment.
Actually, N-Y has a new "no-cancellation" policy. They're a lot like AmiAmi, HS, and other Japanese stores now.

While they might make an exception occasionally [similar to AmiAmi], I wouldn't cancel too much if I were you. You'd risk the possibility of having all of your pre-orders with them cancelled and your account banned.

Nah I don't dislike F4F, I own their Skull Kid and Sheik statues (which I really like), but they can be very expensive. I wish I had their Dark Link admittedly.
In general, people are turned off by their prices and insistence on using heavy and fragile polystone. Most of the crowd around here is focused on PVC, which produces more detailed figures at a lower cost, so to many the big, heavy statues aren't really worth it.

I don't know, but I'm a huge fan, personally. I own the Varia Suit you linked, along with both Metroid Gunships and I couldn't be happier.

I just preordered the Vyse exclusive. Heavy polystone be damned, their work is generally excellent (the awful Zero Suit Samus not withstanding)
Thanks, all! I'm not really up on this stuff at all, glad to hear it was mostly in my head.

Actually, N-Y has a new "no-cancellation" policy. They're a lot like AmiAmi, HS, and other Japanese stores now.

While they might make an exception occasionally [similar to AmiAmi], I wouldn't cancel too much if I were you. You'd risk the possibility of having all of your pre-orders with them cancelled and your account banned.
Huh, new policy =/ that's a shame, guess will have to make sure you really want something before preordering now. I've stopped preordering for most things now lol, it works due to the amount of changes and misinformation from prototypes to finish products as of late =/

Figma Sayaka just arrived,
Wow is it nice, I was worried about the cloth cape but its a nice material doesn't look tacky at all.
Only disappointment is wanting that alt hair piece from the school uniform version which I will maybe get eventually.
Though I guess the figure is overloaded with accessories as is so its not a huge problem.

Got Homura coming next.

chrono01

Huh, new policy =/ that's a shame, guess will have to make sure you really want something before preordering now. I've stopped preordering for most things now lol, it works due to the amount of changes and misinformation from prototypes to finish products as of late =/
Yeah, I used N-Y for a lot of exclusives that I wasn't 100% sure on [given their limited nature], but from now on I'll have to be a lot more careful regarding the things I pre-order.

I can understand why they incorporated it [being left with an abundance of additional stock, especially ones with large boxes, would be a nuisance], but it's still saddening to see.

yea, N-Y is no longer allowing easy cancellations. Only HLJ is left from the major sites I visit.

This is why I go with BBTS sometimes but their problem is that their preoders aren't always trustworthy.
(original Figma Kurisu released June'11, BBTS had Aug'11 as their date. at the end of August they changed it to September and continued to do the same for the next 2 1/2 years.
BBTS finally got her in within the last month or 2.)

LiK

This is why I go with BBTS sometimes but their problem is that their preoders aren't always trustworthy.
(original Figma Kurisu released June'11, BBTS had Aug'11 as their date. at the end of August they changed it to September and continued to do the same for the next 2 1/2 years.
BBTS finally got her in within the last month or 2.)

BBTS has been good to me. I had some stuff in my Pile of Loot but I changed my mind and they canceled it for me and fully refunded my CC. Really happy about that. They weren't so accommodating before but I guess my purchase history is much larger and they're better about it with me.

raven777

ok thanks!

Yeah, I used N-Y for a lot of exclusives that I wasn't 100% sure on [given their limited nature], but from now on I'll have to be a lot more careful regarding the things I pre-order.

I can understand why they incorporated it [being left with an abundance of additional stock, especially ones with large boxes, would be a nuisance], but it's still saddening to see.

yea, N-Y is no longer allowing easy cancellations. Only HLJ is left from the major sites I visit.

opps...nvm. I guess I can't cancel in N-Y....So I have to think carefully before I preorder....

Arveene

Neo Member
ok thanks!

See.

I posted about this awhile back, but I wasn't sure. Sucks that they've changed it, but it is nice to have someone confirm it.

Aerocrane

I ordered a Alter Dizzy figure from Mandarake, it's going to be my first figure :D My shelves are barely large enough for how tall it is. Now, it is used and described as having some damage to the box. This is not really an issue, but a friend of mine was really strongly trying to get me to wait and see if I could get the figure elsewhere. This is because she has had a bad experience with a used figure from Mandarake which was slightly yellowing and had a terrible cigarette stench which was hard to get rid of. I am not really worried, but is something like that common with used items from Mandarake? Also, I used EMS because SAL is not available to Finland, I'm 99% sure that now the package will get inspected by customs and I'll have to pay taxes. There's probably no way to avoid that?

BBTS has been good to me. I had some stuff in my Pile of Loot but I changed my mind and they canceled it for me and fully refunded my CC. Really happy about that. They weren't so accommodating before but I guess my purchase history is much larger and they're better about it with me.

They are great about cancellation.
Anytime I see anything American(or a mass Japanese release like Play Arts) that I even remotely want I preorder it on there.
sometimes I cancel because I end up not wanting it that much others they have let me cancel after ordering because I found much better deals elsewhere.

maybe with GSC new American distribution BBTS will get better with Figma preorders and such.

so 5 figures or was it 6 came in today.

1) native lab chick
2) orchid seed maid
3) MF miku 2020
4) Shibuya Rin
5) Mikasa figma
6) Strength
7) Xiao mei..

... o and tsukihi later this week. LOL

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

That's not even fair.

The site's busted right now, but I don't want to double dip on another Alleyne.

HHHHHHNNNNGGGGHHHHHH

I passed on the original, but this. I don't know if I can resist.... is she just tan, or did they go full dark-skin elf? If it's the latter, I'm done for.

She's probably just tanned. The original artwork for the figure showed her with a tan.

EDIT: Just saw the pic. I think they went dark elf. Sort of. They changed her hair color and the rest of her doesn't really match the original artwork colors. I guess they had fun with it.

apricot

So I found out I'm going to Tokyo for ~3 weeks in July... Gonna try not to buy any figures until then >_> It'll be tough! Also I haven't been to Japan since I've gotten into figures, I can imagine I'm going to go nuts lol

Giolon

So I found out I'm going to Tokyo for ~3 weeks in July... Gonna try not to buy any figures until then >_> It'll be tough! Also I haven't been to Japan since I've gotten into figures, I can imagine I'm going to go nuts lol

July? You're going to drown in your own sweat. Akihabara and Nakano Broadway are the two major places you want to go.

Bombless

You'll have to take refuge into figure shops to escape the heat. Your wallet is al..oh damn, too slow :(

Luigi87

^5
Also going to Tokyo in July (though only ten days).
I've never been outside of North America... Will be needing to watch my spending o_o

apricot

July? You're going to drown in your own sweat. Akihabara and Nakano Broadway are the two major places you want to go.

Oh, I know. If I could go any other time I would, but it's for a program so I'm kind of at the mercy of when it's being held OTL

This is my first time going to Tokyo in 12 years, so very excited! I'm a Kansai girl at heart

george_us

Other than that, they typically only do one run, which is probably why so many of their figures retain their high value. Either way, I hope you're successful in tracking down a Samurai for a decent price. She's well worth it.
Funny thing just happened. I was randomly browsing myfigurecollection and someone posted Mandarake links to used Samurai figures three months ago. Just so happens I click one of the links and it shows that she's still in stock for 20k yen. Knowing Mandarake's habit of being kind of terrible at updating stock, I assume the figure has long been sold and they just forgot to update their inventory online. Still worth a shot though.

Luigi87

I would love to have Alleyne, but the figure is too sexy for my collection.
I do think she has one of the best body sculpts I've seen.

That being said, red leaves and a tan? She should be ready to release in the Fall then!

Funny thing just happened. I was randomly browsing myfigurecollection and someone posted Mandarake links to used Samurai figures three months ago. Just so happens I click one of the links and it shows that she's still in stock for 20k yen. Knowing Mandarake's habit of being kind of terrible at updating stock, I assume the figure has long been sold and they just forgot to update their inventory online. Still worth a shot though.

they sometimes reuse the code/item number.

This happen for a figure I bought. Literally 2 days later after I paid the exact same showed up with the same pictures.

javac

Cock! I ordered that Alter Asuka from Nippon a while ago for 9k, thinking that I could cancel it down the line. I guess I have to keep it now...shes not even worth half that much IMO :$

At least its out in September...gives me enough time to forget about it until it arrives at my door.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A lot of things go up in value after they sell out. That alone isn't a reason to buy it. :p

That's true, but you were saying cheaper things come to those who don't pre-order. If someone was interested in Alleyne, it would have been a good idea to pre-order her since second hand prices keep going up. That's typically not the case.

She's one of the more impressive figures I received this year. She's huge, too.

That's true, but you were saying cheaper things come to those who don't pre-order. If someone was interested in Alleyne, it would have been a good idea to pre-order her since second hand prices keep going up. That's typically not the case.

Certainly. If you're 100% super-duper sure you need her in your life, pre-order. But if you can live without it if you had to, just wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom