• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT2| NSFWallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombless

Someone wanted She-Hulk?

10502078_911233572226373_4949684955260653614_n.jpg

Well, you gettin' She-Hulk

OH MY GOD FINALLY SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULK!

kewlmyc

The problem with Nendoroids is that there are so many and GSC is more lenient on which characters get one, so there's a bigger chance your favorite character will get one. Plus they have several faces and what not.

The problem with Nendoroids is that there are so many and GSC is more lenient on which characters get one, so there's a bigger chance your favorite character will get one. Plus they have several faces and what not.

I don't see any problems in that statement.

omlet

Speaking of nendos, I know this isn't BST thread but just dropping some feedback in here for kiryogi, picked up a nendo for him at AX and we just finished up that transaction, making our second (bought a fig from him a few months ago).

As an aside, I am watching Girls und Panzer now and is it just me or does this show just scream nendoroid? I know it's got a few figures (figmas I think?) but man, it's like the character designs are practically nendos to begin with.

javac

Think I'm going to sell a bunch of my figures. Going to sell Scanty and once I receive my Momohime, Yoko bounty Hunter and maybe Ultimate Madoka I'll sell them too. I've had enough of this shitto. May sell more...

Think I'm going to sell a bunch of my figures. Going to sell Scanty and once I receive my Momohime, Yoko bounty Hunter and maybe Ultimate Madoka I'll sell them too. I've had enough of this shitto. May sell more...

That is some hardcore buyers remorse. Wanting to sell even before the used ones arrive :\

? Money woes I'm guessing? Also did you see my post to you:
Javac, Zavvi has a code for 10% off blurays and dvd preorders and it's applicable for the CE, so with code it's £80.99
http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/gurren-lagann-ultimate-edition/10891993.html

Had some reward points from Zavvi that I've gotten the price under £80 =D

kewlmyc

Sad to hear that. Is there a particular reason why or is it personal?

javac

That is some hardcore buyers remorse. Wanting to sell even before the used ones arrive :

Yeah I'd like to say I'm done with figures and want to sell most of my shit including stuff that hasn't even arrived yet...but at the same time I have a few pre-orders for the Kill la Kill figures and the Pokemon Red figure so I'm not so sure about that. Gonna cancel a few tho, so goodbye Link Nendroid and I don't know if I need 4 figures of Ryuko lol so I may cancel a few. I always find it hard to cancel shit but I may cancel them all.

? Money woes I'm guessing? Also did you see my post to you:

Well money has a factor in it but I don't know, the whole figure thing is making me fell a bit sick. It's like when you eat too much chocolate, there's such thing as too much of a good thing and having a $200 Yoko figure on my shelf is making me woozy. I don't need it and I should never have ordered this crap lol. Luckily I can sell them and get me money back with ease. Let some other poor fool have them. I don't mind keeping a few, but when I say a few I mean a few. Like single digits.

Oh and thanks for the Zavvi link! I may just not buy the blu-ray tho after thinking about it unfortunately :( Thanks for letting me know in any case :)

RMI

Banned
Yeah I'd like to say I'm done with figures and want to sell most of my shit including stuff that hasn't even arrived yet...but at the same time I have a few pre-orders for the Kill la Kill figures and the Pokemon Red figure so I'm not so sure about that. Gonna cancel a few tho, so goodbye Link Nendroid and I don't know if I need 4 figures of Ryuko lol so I may cancel a few. I always find it hard to cancel shit but I may cancel them all.

Well money has a factor in it but I don't know, the whole figure thing is making me fell a bit sick. It's like when you eat too much chocolate, there's such thing as too much of a good thing and having a $200 Yoko figure on my shelf is making me woozy. I don't need it and I should never have ordered this crap lol. Luckily I can sell them and get me money back with ease. Let some other poor fool have them. I don't mind keeping a few, but when I say a few I mean a few. Like single digits.

what is this madness?

In all seriousness I can relate to that. Everyone has their comfort zone for this hobby, and it's definitely easy to get carried away and wind up with way more figures than you ever wanted. Moving a lot over the past few months has helped me slow down and sort of reign in my buying habits.

Yeah I'd like to say I'm done with figures and want to sell most of my shit including stuff that hasn't even arrived yet...but at the same time I have a few pre-orders for the Kill la Kill figures and the Pokemon Red figure so I'm not so sure about that. Gonna cancel a few tho, so goodbye Link Nendroid and I don't know if I need 4 figures of Ryuko lol so I may cancel a few. I always find it hard to cancel shit but I may cancel them all. )

I understand, it happens. I had a massive fallout on my Lego hobby that sounds a lot like what you are saying in your post. Just remember that while of course you don't need it or any material thing, that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy it if you feel it is a hobby that makes you happy. This just sounds like a hobby that isn't really for you outside of having a couple, like you mentioned. Good luck with the sales! I am sure you won't have to many problems getting rid of those figures you listed.

=( I understand that feeling Javac, was how I felt when PayPal sent me an email that I've almost hit my yearly account limit (£1,400 IIRC if you don't link it to a bank account) though games and misc also made up to the limit. It was a real slap in the face/wake up call that I should moderate my spending. =/

But yeah good luck on selling some of your figures, I'm sure you'll likely make back your money and then some. Especially remembering you getting some rare figures relatively cheap.

=( on the Bluray I could tell you were really looking forward to it, quite tempted to get your address and send you a copy or my one...

javac

what is this madness?

In all seriousness I can relate to that. Everyone has their comfort zone for this hobby, and it's definitely easy to get carried away and wind up with way more figures than you ever wanted. Moving a lot over the past few months has helped me slow down and sort of reign in my buying habits.

I understand, it happens. I had a massive fallout on my Lego hobby that sounds a lot like what you are saying in your post. Just remember that while of course you don't need it or any material thing, that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy it if you feel it is a hobby that makes you happy. This just sounds like a hobby that isn't really for you outside of having a couple, like you mentioned. Good luck with the sales! I am sure you won't have to many problems getting rid of those figures you listed.

Yeah I agree, I mean I understand and respect the notion that if something makes you happy, you should enjoy it and just because figures don't do much practically, they obviously make people happy etc then that's all good. That's why I started buying figures. I wanted that Canti figure because I love FLCL and I bought that Gunbuster because I love...Gunbuster! But I feel that I just started buying figures to solve an unrelated problem. Sure they make me happy, but my sadness stems from something else that I guess throwing money at doesn't help, not in the slightest.

My early posts in these figure threads was me talking about how you should only buy figures of characters you relate too, and that I'd stick to a certain budget but I obviously got distracted somewhere. I guess it became a game of Pokemon, trying to collect all of the rarest figures, but that's a fool's errand and solves nothing.

People should spend money on what they enjoy, and indulge in what makes them happy. But I think I went beyond that line, trying to force these figures into spaces in my life where they wouldn't fit. I guess it's just one of those things.

I'll still keep a few (mainly the ones I stated with funnily enough) and I will still order a few down the road, but I guess I'm going to have to know my limits and not be soo greedy next time. I can't compete with other peoples collections, I can't compete with the crazy collections you have in this thread and I guess that's my issue, to me it became a competition. I guess it made me feel a short burst of happiness, getting that one rare figure. Getting a figure everyone else was buying, the flavor of the month if you will. Sad, I know.

Also I'd just like to apologies, I always get the impression that I always make this thread about me, and I make it all melodramatic and shit. I don't mean for that, I guess I just feel comfortable here in expressing my opinions and feelings. I guess my mood swings can be held responsible for this mess lol.

Also I'd just like to apologies, I always get the impression that I always make this thread about me, and I make it all melodramatic and shit. I don't mean for that, I guess I just feel comfortable here in expressing my opinions and feelings. I guess my mood swings can be held responsible for this mess lol.

Don't worry about it Javac! I don't see a problem discussing this side of the hobby. It's always bound to happen. I need to rear back my spending as well, being tasked to post my preorders last week really opened my eyes. But then I turned around and ordered the Sinon figure from SAO last weekend. Why? I couldn't tell you honestly...she looks cool and this excuse of "oh hey I have nothing ordered that month" is a dangerous one. Hmm maybe I need to take in more of what you said about being careful heh.

RMI

Banned
I'll still keep a few (mainly the ones I stated with funnily enough) and I will still order a few down the road, but I guess I'm going to have to know my limits and not be soo greedy next time. I can't compete with other peoples collections, I can't compete with the crazy collections you have in this thread and I guess that's my issue, to me it became a competition. I guess it made me feel a short burst of happiness, getting that one rare figure. Getting a figure everyone else was buying, the flavor of the month if you will. Sad, I know.

That is a dangerous road indeed. It's not a competition at all, and even if it we're, we've all lost to someone. Who was that MFC guy Johnsmith quoted as saying he had spent roughly 100k on figures? No competing with that shit.

No problem if you wanna expess yourself in here, we may be enablers, but we're not pricks to one and others plight. Not too sure how you wanted to compete against people's collection, but I'm not you. You've realised you gotta set a limit so that's great.

But yeah we've always discussed that we all need to know our limits and know where to moderate our spendings. Kind of the reason I tended to tell new people they should focus only on figures of series they know and love.

omlet

That's looks like some pretty genuine self-analysis, so I hope you don't let it keep you down for long. Being picky about figures is the best way to keep this hobby balanced between sane and fun, IMO. I buy some big ticket figures, but I focus on the few I really like and it's very easy for me to say no when it comes to most figures.

javac

And btw I just want to point out that I don't want to put the spotlight on people here and make them question their purchases, this was just a case of me punching above my weight. People should spend their money however they like and I don't think either way of how much people pre-order how what kind of figures people buy.

And to lurkers who are reading this thread wanting to buy figures, it's not bad, in fact it's a great hobby full of a great community of people, I'm just a fool. Just don't be me, be yourself :p

kewlmyc

And btw I just want to point out that I don't want to put the spotlight on people here and make them question their purchases, this was just a case of me punching above my weight. People should spend their money however they like and I don't think either way of how much people pre-order how what kind of figures people buy.

And to lurkers who are reading this thread wanting to buy figures, it's not bad, in fact it's a great hobby full of a great community of people, I'm just a fool. Just don't be me, be yourself :p
It's nice that you stopped now before making more choices that you'd regret. Good job dude.

RMI

Banned
Those are quite nice, I could see getting the figmas for Christma-

lemme tell you that 1/7 scale Luka is totally fantastic. I have the figma as well, and while they're both nice, given the choice between one and the other I would go with the scale fig.

javac

It's nice that you stopped now before making more choices that you'd regret. Good job dude.

I still feel a bit pathetic about it all, having to be slapped in the face before I realize I can't be going around buying $200 figures like I'm a kid who doesn't know how to spend his money. I think that's the worse bit. I feel like I deserve a big dunce cap with the words baka written across it.

omlet

I don't understand.

If you stay here you will soon enough.

If you still don't understand, read the spoiler:
you will see figures of characters you have never heard of and think "wow that's nice, I want that figure... who is that" and that's the moment when your wallet is already dead

you will see figures of characters you have never heard of and think "wow that's nice, I want that figure... who is that" and that's the moment when your wallet is already dead

Then you have people here yelling at you to watch shows so you will want to spend that money.

/stare

kewlmyc

This is so true it hurts. Had no idea who Shiro was before I ordered her, but she and Utsutsu the only one I bought before watching/reading/playing the source.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I think being self-reflective is a good thing. You did seem to be making some big purchases one after another, which was odd given your stance earlier in the thread. People joke about being enablers, but it really is very easy to get swept up in the hype and bite off more than you can chew, but I think that happens to everyone at the beginning.

And your post isn't scaring anyone from quitting the hobby. :p

Honestly, I faced a similar situation where I took a step back and realized that I shouldn't really buy every figure that I like. I've gotten more selective with pre-orders. I simply don't have the room. And it's a huge expense that can be spent on other hobbies. Ironically, I think that myfigurecollection.net is a pretty good tool at evaluating your budget, because it has month to month calculations of your spending as long as you input the data.

I would, however, suggest to think about it a bit more. You may regret impulsively selling off things that you bought and enjoy just because you're getting a little too deep in the hobby. Now's a good time to start cutting back regardless, though, with the increasing prices across the board.

I still feel a bit pathetic about it all, having to be slapped in the face before I realize I can't be going around buying $200 figures like I'm a kid who doesn't know how to spend his money. I think that's the worse bit. I feel like I deserve a big dunce cap with the words baka written across it.

Well, I hope at least that the regret is internal, and not someone chastising you for enjoying something.

Caladrius

lemme tell you that 1/7 scale Luka is totally fantastic. I have the figma as well, and while they're both nice, given the choice between one and the other I would go with the scale fig.

The scale figure definitely looks nice, but I much prefer having stuff with articulation.

My wallet was dead before ever setting foot in FigureGAF, so would this be the equivalent of flogging a dead horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom