• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT2| NSFWallet

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who is deeply into Warhammer 40k, you can collect them for the sheer sake of painting and building but the game is fun. They are pretty much all unassembled and unpainted. There were larger figures for display but are pretty rare now I believe.

They're relatively small though, right? And some of the detailing I've seen on some pieces is downright insane. How do you even do that? Microscopic brushes?

They're relatively small though, right? And some of the detailing I've seen on some pieces is downright insane. How do you even do that? Microscopic brushes?

The base troops are small, but there are bigger models too. It is 28mm I belive. This girl is about 2 inches where the second one is about 5 1/2 inches. I use an airbrush and mostly size 2 rounds.

HCao7pZ.jpg

iGpdUjk.jpg

cajunator

Banned
I have a hard enough time sleeping on any pillow that's more than two inches thick and a mattress that isn't firm enough to bounce coins off of how do you guys do it.

I sleep on a fold out futon in jeans. Its not a very firm cushion at all. I hate beds.

arhra

It's one of the few things you can't really explain. Figures can be explained as art since they're pretty much PVC mini sculptures. Dakimakuras can't really be explained at all, especially the new ones. If you don't care about other's opinions and don't have people constantly over, then go for it.

They're comfy as fuck. That's really all the explanation I've needed so far. The covers are just to make them look pretty, and if you've got a bunch of anime girl statues dotted around your house already, no-one's really going to bat an eye at a pillow cover, in my experience (probably because they've already pegged you as kinda weird).

Although I've never had to explain the lewder ones, yet...

Speaking of, I just ordered this one [NSFW] the other day... Already had the uniform version, couldn't resist getting the vampire ver too...

PewPewK

They're comfy as fuck. That's really all the explanation I've needed so far. The covers are just to make them look pretty, and if you've got a bunch of anime girl statues dotted around your house already, no-one's really going to bat an eye at a pillow cover, in my experience (probably because they've already pegged you as kinda weird).

Although I've never had to explain the lewder ones, yet...

Speaking of, I just ordered this one [NSFW] the other day... Already had the uniform version, couldn't resist getting the vampire ver too...

Good taste. I like it.

Ultimadrago

The base troops are small, but there are bigger models too. It is 28mm I belive. This girl is about 2 inches where the second one is about 5 1/2 inches. I use an airbrush and mostly size 2 rounds.

Man, how long have you been painting those types of pieces? Looks super difficult to make them come out that well!

Bombless

Nice avatar!

Yes, the details on those minis are insane. Check out this guy. One of my favourite minis Games Workshop has put out. (no paint, just primed). He's been sitting there for a while now, waiting for me to gather enough courage to do it's sculpt justice.

Also a pair of deffkoptaz (ork lexicon iz da bess) painted by my sister before she moved out on her own. She's way better than me at this, check out the freehand details on the rockets!

It's funny this topic has come out, trying my hand at painting again has been at the back of my mind for a while. Especially every time my eyes fall upon this pile o' boxes. Maybe one day Kor'sarro will finally have his 3rd Company vs Ork Waaaagh diorama.

Edit : Einbroch, while I approve his collection, sticking everything into a single rack like that is a crime. You can't even focus on a single piece. Terrible.

And as for KanColle, I forgot to add "figma versions" to my jiff. It is the only way a completionist admiral will emerge out of this endeavour with his wallet almost unscathed.

Saw this on Reddit. This is just, too much. I can't even appreciate it. If it ever gets this bad for me, someone shoot me.

It's a really nice display, they just have too many figures in there. This is a great example of when you should start boxing some figures back up and alternating what you have in the case. Just swap some out every now and then.

Einbroch

Banned
It's a really nice display, they just have too many figures in there. This is a great example of when you should start boxing some figures back up and alternating what you have in the case. Just swap some out every now and then.

See, I think if I every get to the point where I can fill up a cabinet that large and it starts not looking good, then it's time to either sell or stop. I want all my figures out. I can't imagine them just sitting in boxes doing nothing, and I know I'd be too lazy to continuously swap them in and out. My four shelf bookcase is getting full so I'm feeling the pressure to slow down.

But I agree it is a very nice looking display. I prefer wood to the full-on glass.

See, I think if I every get to the point where I can fill up a cabinet that large and it starts not looking good, then it's time to either sell or stop. I want all my figures out. I can't imagine them just sitting in boxes doing nothing, and I know I'd be too lazy to continuously swap them in and out. My four shelf bookcase is getting full so I'm feeling the pressure to slow down.

But I agree it is a very nice looking display. I prefer wood to the full-on glass.

I understand the sentiment, certainly. I have two detolfs and a billy. I don't plan to go any further and I have no issues alternating my display.

As to your comment on glass displays, I agree for the most part, but the cabinets that are all glass offer the widest range of viewing options.

Man, how long have you been painting those types of pieces? Looks super difficult to make them come out that well!

I've been off and on for almost 10 years playing but never took painting seriously until about 2 years ago.

Nice avatar!

It's funny this topic has come out, trying my hand at painting again has been at the back of my mind for a while. Especially every time my eyes fall upon this pile o' boxes. Maybe one day Kor'sarro will finally have his 3rd Company vs Ork Waaaagh diorama.

Thanks. I know how you feel with that stack. I don't want to even think about how many unpainted marines I have.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I think the prepainted ones are for the tabletop game but there are some assemble yourself figures which you have to build and paint yourself. (Not dissimilar to garage kits)

EDIT: I wouldn't mind having something like this: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Bjorn-the-Fellhanded
But looking at what's required to build and assemble it... It seems like a huge commitment to the craft and there are plenty of opportunities to mess it up somehow.

Looking at that gave me an headache. Do they paint all the details with masking tape, or they just have god like unshakable hands? May be different types of paints with thinners...

Vooduu

Does NECA have a tendency to delay figures? Been waiting for the Master Chief 18" and the lack of substantial info is killing me.

Jayhawk

I've been waiting for an Emma Frost figure, but I'm not sure if I want that Sideshow Premium Format they recently revealed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
First4Figures needs to die.

Was almost tempted by the Kirbys until I came to my senses and realised I don't need a handful of little Kirbys. If it was just one maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom