• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT2| NSFWallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

So if I loved Yamato I would like Crest of the Stars, does the series ended in a cliff hanger since there are still more books coming out? The anime ended in 2005, I doubt they will continue the anime unfortunately :(

It is funny i was just thinking about watching LoGH, but I guess I wait since they are remaking it.

Yes, I think you would love it if you love giant space drama's. There are 4 crest series, 3 1 cour tv series, 2 movies, and an ova and the ova is last and it does a pretty good ending. It's not so much there's a cliffhanger as you just want more Jinto x Lafiel adventures dammit! Because it's just that good. Same way I view Record of the 12 Kingdoms or Ghost Hunt, 2 other fantastic anime's that basically are unfinished due to author not finishing the novels but they don't necessarily end on a cliffhanger, you just want more because its so well written. As I have mentioned before, if I could have any figure I wanted made it would be one of Lafiel from Crest, or Youko from 12 Kingdoms.

chrono01

Fairly easily if you had a bit of willpower, I imagine. :D
It's Nintendo-themed figures, you have any idea how long I've been wanting these? I still remember the Happy Meal Toys I had when I was growing up.

Okay, maybe a few of them I didn't need [such as Wii Fit Trainer], so your willpower comment is probably well-deserved. -_-

omlet

So if I loved Yamato I would like Crest of the Stars, does the series ended in a cliff hanger since there are still more books coming out? The anime ended in 2005, I doubt they will continue the anime unfortunately :(

It is funny i was just thinking about watching LoGH, but I guess I wait since they are remaking it.
(late, but was too busy at work to reply earlier)

Honestly they're very different shows. Yamato gets, uh... well, it became impossible for me to take seriously, like hokey past the point I could suspend my disbelief, so it became frustrating for me because it has a lot of good stuff going for it that I felt was undermined by writing that glorifies foolish decisions by the characters. Not that it was a bad show, but amazing production values aside, it's not something I'd rank very highly.

Crest of the Stars is different because it is very much focused on the great dynamic between the main two characters getting caught up in a series of political and military struggles. It does its world-building in a slightly more droll manner and is much slower paced than Yamato, but it's also much more "believable" sci-fi in the sense of how the characters are written. It has, admittedly, been several years since I sat down with CotS/BotS, so I may have some rose-tinted glasses effect going on, but I have seen it multiple times, am very fond of its cast, and would watch it again, none of which I can say for Yamato.

johnsmith

remember me
Too bad this turned out terrible, apparently.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-003944-R003
40%OFF 6,380 JPY
FIGURE-003944_01.jpg

Ryuuroden

(late, but was too busy at work to reply earlier)

Honestly they're very different shows. Yamato gets, uh... well, it became impossible for me to take seriously, like hokey past the point I could suspend my disbelief, so it became frustrating for me because it has a lot of good stuff going for it that I felt was undermined by writing that glorifies foolish decisions by the characters. Not that it was a bad show, but amazing production values aside, it's not something I'd rank very highly.

Crest of the Stars is different because it is very much focused on the great dynamic between the main two characters getting caught up in a series of political and military struggles. It does its world-building in a slightly more droll manner and is much slower paced than Yamato, but it's also much more "believable" sci-fi in the sense of how the characters are written. It has, admittedly, been several years since I sat down with CotS/BotS, but I have seen it multiple times, am very fond of its cast, and would watch it again, none of which I can say for Yamato.

I would totally agree with that. CotS is something you can totally take very seriously the entire time. It builds slowly but is in incredibly immersible world and has a lot of depth. Its practically Tolkien in the world building, the author even created a elvish space race with a complete new language.

gokieks

I loved Yamato 2199, and the new Yuki Mori figure looks nice, but then I run into the problem of how to display multiple figures of the same character, as I really dislike putting them next to each other.

What this actually means is that I'll probably order it anyway, and then hope they make another Akira Yamamoto figure.

i don't like how most of those those Yamato figures are so different from the classic design. that Mori Yuki figure has a whole different aura. i know it's remake material, but it's still a pity.

I have no idea who this Elizabeth Mably is, but I am inclined to pre-order the new figure of her.

She's from Freezing Vibration, the sequel series to Freezing. You need the 1/4 Sattelizer as well. I saw a picture of them posed where Elizabeth was sitting on Sattelizer's butt instead of the stool. XD

Arclaid

Finally got around to ordering a few Ghibli 2015 calendars. Getting the Totoro one for my sister-in-law and keeping the Kiki one for myself.

Really had to stop myself from ordering two of Totoro. Figured I should stick to the one that displays better with the other Ghibli calendars I already own.
But it was really an excuse to try and save myself $35.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom