• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT2| NSFWallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

img_20140922_192004laeoa.jpg

D'aaaaw

Bombless

Giolon, don't forget about Empty's axedancing Amazon. She's supposed to be 1/6 too! Sadly there's been no news since the sculpt reveal oh so long ago :(

So I had told myself that I would not buy anything from AmiAmi's preowned section or add anything new to my September order due to the size of it at this point...even though a lot of the weight has been lifted because of delays. Anyway I stupidly persisted on visiting it (largely due to the hope of one day stumbling along that Unlimited Blade Works Rin Tohsaka fig that GSC did) and stumbled upon an A/B of this for only about 7k

Of course I proceeded to snatch it as fast as possible.......OTZ

I've seen her before, but I can't remember what series she's from.

Doombear

When will Good Smile tell me what new Monster Hunter Nendoroids are in the works?! I would love to see some of the newer monster armors on them, or... Pumpkin / Bnhahabara, the old classics.

idhv5Z96bD0eX.png

I just need new ones!

Ryuuroden

So I had told myself that I would not buy anything from AmiAmi's preowned section or add anything new to my September order due to the size of it at this point...even though a lot of the weight has been lifted because of delays. Anyway I stupidly persisted on visiting it (largely due to the hope of one day stumbling along that Unlimited Blade Works Rin Tohsaka fig that GSC did) and stumbled upon an A/B of this for only about 7k

Of course I proceeded to snatch it as fast as possible.......OTZ

Hnggg would totally love that caanan figure

chrono01

As of this posting, Shiro is available from both AmiAmi and HLJ. I want to be able to say that it's not due to cancellations of Japanese [and other] fans learning of the "drama" surrounding the artist, but you know how that whole Aya Hirano situation turned out...

Either way, great opportunity for those still interested and missed out originally!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
As of this posting, Shiro is available from both AmiAmi and HLJ. I want to be able to say that it's not due to cancellations of Japanese [and other] fans learning of the "drama" surrounding the artist, but you know how that whole Aya Hirano situation turned out...

Either way, great opportunity for those still interested and missed out originally!

What's the drama surrounding the artist?

chrono01

What's the drama surrounding the artist?
Supposedly he was caught "tracing" the pose of several of his characters. He altered some of the facial/arm positions, but generally the other half [especially the lower areas] are pretty much perfect traces [to where the feet/waist/etc. are identical].

He hasn't made an official comment yet, but Japanese fans are pretty interested in the outcome. I believe it was revealed by a fan on Twitter, and it's since blown up on the social media sites.

Got my shipping notice from AmiAami for Asmodeous. They sent it on their Friday, so I won't get it until sometime next week. And I was forced to go with EMS, too...

And I'm really regretting not getting either Elf or Amazon now. Amazon sounds like she's going to be easy to find used based on folks complaints here, but Elf I fear is going to become a grail figure.

Oh, and it seems Halloween Miku is still available. No insane F5'ing required. http://goodsmile-global.ecq.sc/top/gscnenwd00448.html

/enable

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Supposedly he was caught "tracing" the pose of several of his characters. He altered some of the facial/arm positions, but generally the other half [especially the lower areas] are pretty much perfect traces [to where the feet/waist/etc. are identical].

He hasn't made an official comment yet, but Japanese fans are pretty interested in the outcome. I believe it was revealed by a fan on Twitter, and it's since blown up on the social media sites.

Yikes. That's interesting. Is there a link to the evidence? I'll just look up the artist's name on Google.

Thrasher429

Neo Member

The whole thing is pretty ridiculous. Tracing something like a pose is perfectly innocuous and doesn't harm either parties and it saves a lot of time for artists. It's really nothing the internet needs to raise a fuss about, things like pose books even exist for this reason.

Makes me wonder if they will cancel that artbook for No Game No Life.

kewlmyc

The whole thing is pretty ridiculous. Tracing something like a pose is perfectly innocuous and doesn't harm either parties and it saves a lot of time for artists. It's really nothing the internet needs to raise a fuss about, things like pose books even exist for this reason.

Yeah if the art was created just to be traced over I can understand. However this guy is tracing over other people's official art and even some fanart. It's kinda lazy considering he's not even a mangaka and only has to produce 6-9 pieces of art per LN novel (there's only 10 or so novels so far and they're months apart from each other).

This, as an artist I have done it to save time when I need to meet production timelines and I have also seen it done to my original art.

is the DC elf officially out or is it still only up for import?

I ordered it through Diamond's Previews what feels like forever ago and I still haven't seen it

same with my Kyoko Dodger Ganja statue

Not sure if my comic shop fucked up or if Diamond is just slow as balls

Thrasher429

Neo Member
Yeah if the art was created just to be traced over I can understand. However this guy is tracing over other people's official art and even some fanart. It's kinda lazy considering he's not even a mangaka and only has to produce 6-9 pieces of art per LN novel (there's only 10 or so novels so far and they're months apart from each other).

Actually so far there is only 6...Though I guess that doesn't really help in this case.

chrono01

Not saying I agree/disagree with it, but in Japan doing something like this is a major "taboo". As posted in the English link, the artist for Muv-Luv has already lost their job when it was discovered that they were "tracing", so it's definitely a problem for Kamiya Yuu. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't made a statement on it already, but maybe he has and it just hasn't been translated/released on English sites.

Personally, if I were a fan artist and discovered an established artist was using my art as inspiration for his, I'd be honored. But then, I guess everyone perceives it differently.

kewlmyc

Actually so far there is only 6...Though I guess that doesn't really help in this case.

They're are only 6? I guess I got my LNs mixed up. But yeah, that kinda makes it worse. It feels like plagiarism. Taking inspiration from a piece of art is one thing, but just tracing over it seems scummy (unless it's from a trace book or you have permission from the artist). Just my personal opinion on tracing.

is the DC elf officially out or is it still only up for import?

I ordered it through Diamond's Previews what feels like forever ago and I still haven't seen it

same with my Kyoko Dodger Ganja statue

Not sure if my comic shop fucked up or if Diamond is just slow as balls

If someone fucked up, rest assured, it's probably Diamond.

BigBadToyStore is a US shop, and they're showing Elf as sold out, and Amazon is already in stock. So I'm going to say Diamond is slow as balls, here.

Ryuuroden

Not saying I agree/disagree with it, but in Japan doing something like this is a major "taboo". As posted in the English link, the artist for Muv-Luv has already lost their job when it was discovered that they were "tracing", so it's definitely a problem for Kamiya Yuu. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't made a statement on it already, but maybe he has and it just hasn't been translated/released on English sites.

Personally, if I were a fan artist and discovered an established artist was using my art as inspiration for his, I'd be honored. But then, I guess everyone perceives it differently.

Which is dumb because the jaded me says that there isn't an artist in japan that doesn't do this. I mean proof is all anime girls look basically the same. If anything, the girls from NGNL are more original that most of the bullshit that comes from over there. I am always seeing the same shit just different characters, I think someone should write a program that compares all art that exists in Japan. I want to see the huge scandal when it comes out that every artist there has work that they illegitimately traced from someone else s work. Come on someone do it, I have the popcorn. Does this stuff bother me? yes. Am I surprised? no. Do I care? no. Would I be pissed if this made it so no other characters of NGNL got figures or no more LN's or anime? Yes I would and I would call for all the people calling for the authors head to have their heads chopped off as well, for ruining my enjoyment too. Does that make me a bad person? I hope not.

Ryuuroden

They're are only 6? I guess I got my LNs mixed up. But yeah, that kinda makes it worse. It feels like plagiarism. Taking inspiration from a piece of art is one thing, but just tracing over it seems scummy (unless it's from a trace book or you have permission from the artist). Just my personal opinion on tracing.

Did you visit the site to actually see what he actually took from the other drawings? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on it but I think plagiarism is a strong term for that. I've seen real art plagiarism and what I've seen here does not equal that.

kewlmyc

Did you visit the site to actually see what he actually took from the other drawings? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on it but I think plagiarism is a strong term for that. I've seen real art plagiarism and what I've seen here does not equal that.
Yeah I have. It might be harsh and plagiarism might not of been the best choice of words but I stand by what I said about not being a fan of plagiarism. Some of the examples the site posted aren't that bad, but a nice number of them are pretty blatant. Shame on the artist, but his non-traced works are still good and it'd be sad if they change artists. Still looking forward to Shiro.

Ryuuroden

Yeah I have. It might be harsh and plagiarism might not of been the best choice of words but I stand by what I said about not being a fan of plagiarism. Some of the examples the site posted aren't that bad, but a nice number of them are pretty blatant. Shame on the artist, but his non-traced works are still good and it'd be sad if they change artists. Still looking forward to Shiro.

Except the author and artist are one and the same so yeah if goodbye artist it also means no more No Game No Life which means goodbye one of the more fun shows of the last few years permanently as well as the LN's. All the while Japan pushes drivel like Mahouka and SAO to the top of the charts in sales guaranteeing more seasons. And the art in that is complete shit. Not that I won't be happy getting to see more of my lord and savior Onii-sama, I will be, I just want more NGNL more. Japan won't just push him to stop doing the art, they will prolly try to get him banned from the industry and have him shoveling dog shit for the rest of his life. They seem to treat these as bigger crimes than rape, pedophilia and misogyny which runs rampant in their society

Yes, I am using slight exaggerations, i'm just frustrated he had to do something so dumb when he knows if he was caught shit would rain down.

I need to make a "Sad Benny" avatar when shit like this happens.!

kewlmyc

Except the author and artist are one and the same so yeah if goodbye artist it also means no more No Game No Life which means goodbye one of the more fun shows of the last season permanently as well as the LN's. All the while Japan pushes drivel like Mahouka and SAO to the top of the charts in sales guaranteeing more seasons. And the art in that is complete shit. Not that I won't be happy getting to see more of my lord and savior Onii-sama, I will be, I just want more NGNL more. Japan won't just push him to stop doing the art, they will prolly try to get him banned from the industry and have him shoveling dog shit for the rest of his life. They seem to treat these as bigger crimes than rape, pedophilia and misogyny which runs rampant in their society

Yes, I am using slight exaggerations, i'm just frustrated he had to do something so dumb when he knows if he was caught shit would rain down.

I didn't know that they were one in the same. Seems very rare for LN authors to also do the art for the series as well. It also hinders my earlier point of him only having to do the art since he also writes as well. Anyway, yeah it would be sad if the series ends because of this, but if he's the author as well and the sales are good because the anime bumped them up, he'll probably be just fine. We all are probably making a bigger deal out of this then it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom