• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT2| NSFWallet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kotobukiya Bishoujo Spider-Woman came in. If there's a place to order the SDDC metallic version and I had known about it, I definitely would have ordered that instead, but the regular version looks good too. Very shiny. One new thing that they've done is add a small compartment, under the base, to store the extra (maskless) face.

I prefer the non-metallic version, honestly. But Cheska seems to be in love with this one, to the point of tracking down someone to pick it up for her.

Is that true? I thought they usually sell their SDCC exclusives through their web store. That's how I got Harley Quinn.

I've only ever heard of them having one exclusive per convention. It stands to reason that any additional ones they came up with would be partnerships with other retailers and would come with additional hoops to jump through.

johnsmith

remember me
Finally!
fUV0d5z.png

Giolon

I've only ever heard of them having one exclusive per convention. It stands to reason that any additional ones they came up with would be partnerships with other retailers and would come with additional hoops to jump through.

At SDCC 2012, they had three Bishoujo exclusives alone: X-23 (Angry Face), Storm (White), and Black Widow (Grey). Turns out some they also sold on their web shop, and some were con-only. Last years appears to have been a bit anomalous in that they only had a single exclusive Bishoujo (Harley no-mask) and they also sold her online.

This year, they've got both Spider Woman (metallic) and X-Force Psylocke (classic colors), as well as some other ArtFX statue and other stuff. Spider Woman does seem to be actually con-only, and Psylocke is also available online from their web store.

This year, they've got both Spider Woman (metallic) and X-Force Psylocke (classic colors), as well as some other ArtFX statue and other stuff. Spider Woman does seem to be actually con-only, and Psylocke is also available online from their web store.

You can only pick her up at the con, but there is a webshop selling her online. You just have to be physically at the con to pick up your order. But I doubt they'll sell through 800 pieces before SDCC.

woot have 2 offers for me for rooms at AX. Some guy is offering 90 bucks for 3 nights but its like 7 people in the room including me. The guy checks out fine in terms of internet background checks. seems to host rooms all the time

other guy is offering 120 for 4 nights (day 0) for 120 and so far its just only him. He has stayed with the above mentioned guy last year and I asked about him and apparently there were no issues. Did a slight internet background check and apparently he doesn't post much online. Only thing I know is that he works for the air force (according to him/fb), his last year interaction with guy #1 was fine, and he lives in tampa florida.

Might have to go with 2nd guy just because I don't want to be packed into sardines. Both are at the marriott so its more legit as well.

sounds like an adventureeeeee

Bunking with strangers would creep me the fuck out. Otaku are weird enough as it is.

ehh most of the people i meet are down to earth...but then again most of the people I met were FGC related lol

edit
THere are definitely hustlers tho. This one chick has a bunch of rooms booked. Charges like 150 for floor, 200 for bed. Has like 6 people per room. She is definitely hustling

kewlmyc

Are these hotel rooms or what? Someone's house? Where are people going to sleep if it's 6 people per room and there's usually 2 beds in a room?

Are these hotel rooms or what? Someone's house? Where are people going to sleep if it's 6 people per room and there's usually 2 beds in a room?

from what I Heard it was 4 people floor 2 on bed. I was like "yeah... thats a bit much". I'm staying at the other guy's room. So far its just the two of us.

Bombless

from what I Heard it was 4 people floor 2 on bed. I was like "yeah... thats a bit much". I'm staying at the other guy's room. So far its just the two of us.

I'm not sure what kind of hotel would accept having 6 people in a double, triple or even quadruple room. That shit's illegal here, not to mention extremely hazardous.

meijiko

An important part of the con experience when I was a teenager was cramming 6-10 people into a hotel room, usually doubling up on beds and plenty on the floor.

Never again, though. I'm too old for that shit.

An important part of the con experience when I was a teenager was cramming 6-10 people into a hotel room, usually doubling up on beds and plenty on the floor.

Never again, though. I'm too old for that shit.

yep that is why im doing 2 with this one guy rofl. Hopefully i won't be on the news!

Next year I might just book a room and have people acquaitance/friends stay.

kewlmyc

Are hotel rooms that expensive at anime cons? I rather shell out the extra money than bunk in one room with 6 random people who have to share one bathroom.

meijiko

Are hotel rooms that expensive at anime cons? I rather shell out the extra money than bunk in one room with 6 random people who have to share one bathroom.

We were poor teenagers, and rooms were typically ~$150 per night at the con rate. It was usually either bunking with as many friends as possible, or not staying at all. I actually usually had a lot of fun despite the sleeping situation, but my tolerance for little sleep has definitely waned in the past nine years of going to cons.

I've never roomed with randoms though. To be let in the room you had to be friends or family with someone staying in it, usually whoever was hosting the room.

kewlmyc

We were poor teenagers, and rooms were typically ~$150 per night at the con rate. It was usually either bunking with as many friends as possible, or not staying at all. I actually usually had a lot of fun despite the sleeping situation, but my tolerance for little sleep has definitely waned in the past nine years of going to cons.

I've never roomed with randoms though. To be let in the room you had to be friends or family with someone staying in it, usually whoever was hosting the room.

Friends and family I wouldn't mind. It's just the random people that would freak me out.

But you gotta do what you gotta do. Not trying to diss anyone's lifestyle here.

rooms at the Mariott go for about 200-250 a night I believe. Something around that.

There was dude room sharing a suite of like 12 or something. I was like "yeah im not about that life"

I also imagine it's also how close the hotel is to the convention center.

The Marriott is just right to it so of course it'll be expensive. It'll also fill up fast too.

Ken

rooms at the Mariott go for about 200-250 a night I believe. Something around that.

There was dude room sharing a suite of like 12 or something. I was like "yeah im not about that life"

the marriott i was in a few weeks ago ran for like 239 regular rate. 109 on leisure rate.

yeah, unfortunately I don't drive due to medical reasons (eyes), so this is kind of the best option. I don't want to be lugging around stuff all day nor do I want to be taking public transportation on july 4 weekend (and I don't think its open on july 4th). I rather buy it and then drop it off at the hotel.

yeah, unfortunately I don't drive due to medical reasons (eyes), so this is kind of the best option. I don't want to be lugging around stuff all day nor do I want to be taking public transportation on july 4 weekend (and I don't think its open on july 4th). I rather buy it and then drop it off at the hotel.

Well, I hope you don't get murdered. :D

meijiko

AX has a shuttle service to and from most of the affiliated hotels. It can be a pain during crowded times, but they run pretty late and are really convenient for hotels like a mile+ away. We stay at the Westin Bonaventure each year, because it was featured in the Steins;Gate OVA lol.

AX has a shuttle service to and from most of the affiliated hotels. It can be a pain during crowded times, but they run pretty late and are really convenient for hotels like a mile+ away. We stay at the Westin Bonaventure each year, because it was featured in the Steins;Gate OVA lol.

How late does the shuttle go? I tend to stay late like 11:30-12.

ALSO WHAT?! I HAVE TO REWATCH THAT

meijiko

How late does the shuttle go? I tend to stay late like 11:30-12.

ALSO WHAT?! I HAVE TO REWATCH THAT

Looking at my program from last year, it seems to run all night, but I know the later it is, the less often it runs. There are different buses for different hotels, and I think during their busiest times they have like 2-4 buses on one route running constantly. Really late it's probably more like once an hour.

And yes, if you look at some of the BG shots and the outdoor shots of the hotel, you can see the elevator towers of the Westin. It was mind-blowing the first time I realized it, and now I try to get it every year lol.

Looking at my program from last year, it seems to run all night, but I know the later it is, the less often it runs. There are different buses for different hotels, and I think during their busiest times they have like 2-4 buses on one route running constantly. Really late it's probably more like once an hour.

And yes, if you look at some of the BG shots and the outdoor shots of the hotel, you can see the elevator towers of the Westin. It was mind-blowing the first time I realized it, and now I try to get it every year lol.

hmm. I tried finding the shuttles but never succeeded =(. O well.

Might have to take a look at the westin.

meijiko

hmm. I tried finding the shuttles but never succeeded =(. O well.

Might have to take a look at the westin.

They've changed places twice since I've gone. Last year they were across the street from the "main" entrance to the convention center (like walking across Pico blvd.) The year before they were kind of around the West Hall area. I don't know where they'll be this year, but last year's setup was actually pretty nice.

Giolon

I'll be staying with a friend in Long Beach. Ultimate cheapness FTW! Sounds like a lot of GAF people are going. Is there a meetup?

omlet

I'll be staying with a friend in Long Beach. Ultimate cheapness FTW! Sounds like a lot of GAF people are going. Is there a meetup?

Also staying with a friend in LA. Cheapness ftw. Forking over some gas/food money sure beats a big hotel bill.

I've done the 10-people-in-a-room before. It was a character building experience, but never again lol.

meijiko

I haven't heard of one yet. I wouldn't mind a little one at one point, but I don't know that I'll be able to do like dinner or anything.

To steer the talk away from AX for a minute, I wanted to share something personal with you guys.

So I've mentioned before how like Cardcaptor Sakura, but I don't know that I've ever properly conveyed just how much this series means to me. It's my very favorite thing ever. I've loved it since I was twelve (which was about 13 years ago now, jfc) and about six years ago or so I started collecting it seriously.

I don't consider myself a crazy fan, as I don't collect absolutely everything, but over the years I've just accumulated a lot of stuff. This is mostly due to the fact that there was a huge, huge amount of merchandise made for this series in Japan, and collectors often sold their things in huge lots on YJA. At first I was after the plushes and trading figures, but after collecting a good amount of those I started hunting down promotional goods from magazines and lotteries and other hard to find things. I also have a fascination with some of the weirder stuff they made (I have a full CCS-themed shampoo bottle, as well as some bandages and other toiletries). I don't have some of the more commonly-sought-after things, like the Japanese Clow Book or the wands or anything, because they often auction for a lot of money. I like the crazier stuff, lately.

My goal is to someday document all of these items in a blog or something, as there's just not a lot of information out there about CCS merchandise, and I find it incredibly fascinating.

In our collection room, which I recently did a little organizing in, I have a full bookcase dedicated to showing off some of my collection. This isn't anywhere near all of it, as I've got two huge plastic tubs with more things, and some of my more important items are stored elsewhere. I just simply don't have the room to show off all of my posters, cels, books, and other flat things. Although I will say I'm really sad that I can't show off my life-size Sakura standee, because it's really old and in need of repair before I can stand it up anywhere.

So anyway here are pics. I don't have a lot of room to move around in there, so the pictures aren't as great as they could be, but it should give you an idea as to the amount and variety of stuff I've accumulated over the years.

This is about as much of the shelf as I could fit in one shot. I can't really back up very far with the camera.
kmhOmGa.jpg

Top two shelves. I put most of my trading figures up top, and some of the rarer stuff on the shelf down.
IR2DESN.jpg

*Some* of my plushes. I'm a little upset that I can't display all of my plushes here, as there are three really rare large ones that just don't fit in the shelf.
4gU4jxw.jpg

Keychains and other random stuff.
DgmNAZJ.jpg

Some of my artbooks, manga, and magazines. Also the Dreamcast game LE box. There's a shelf above this that houses my cels and my pin collection.
uwC8WeA.jpg

Yeah. I haven't really shown the extent of my collection on the internet before, so it's a tiny bit scary to be opening myself for judgement lol.

Cheska

Holy crap meijiko! That is a beautiful and extraordinary collection :O Are you picking up the limited edition anime set from NIS america?

meijiko

Holy crap meijiko! That is a beautiful and extraordinary collection :O Are you picking up the limited edition anime set from NIS america?

Yup! I'm incredibly excited for it, as the Japanese blu-ray sets were something I lusted after for years. Now I don't feel the need to drop $500 on them. And thank you ;-;

That's an impressive collection. Do you collect anything else, or is Sakura your focus?

I've collected a bunch of different things with my husband over the years. We've actually got a lot of Nintendo related plushes, mostly Pokemon but also a decent amount of old Mario, Kirby, and Pikmin (you can see some of the Pokemon shelf here). I have a near-complete collection of just about all the official merchandise released of the character N from Pokemon, just because I liked him so much. My husband has a formidable Legend of Zelda collection that I've helped contribute to over the years, and we've collected Final Fantasy merchandise here and there as well.

That's not even mentioning his physical game collection and (mostly)Star Wars LEGO collection.

Oh also anime figures. I like buying figures mostly of the characters I like, but I also have an affinity for witch characters. But I'm not too focused with my figure buying.

I would say we have a problem, but really I feel like our only problem is not having enough space for everything. It's been a joy collecting things with him over the years, and I look forward to someday being able to display everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom