• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY (Agito XIII) Type-0 |OT| Occupy Suzaku

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wow, it really does look like Type-0 is an amazing game and I can't wait till Square announces it for the west. Thanks for the brilliant review as well Kagari! I just have one question about the replayability- is the story completely different or is it just a case of additional scenes being unlocked?

Also, and this is probably a weird question coming from a guy, but is there romance in the story given that there seem to be so many call-backs to traditional FF elements?

Yup that's the plan. They also trademarked Type-1, Type-2 and Type-3 if I remember correctly.

The story is better explained upon in the second playthrough. As for a love story... Machina and Rem are pretty much that although it's more "we're childhood friends" and not like Tidus/Yuna from FFX.

Mario007

The story is better explained upon in the second playthrough. As for a love story... Machina and Rem are pretty much that although it's more "we're childhood friends" and not like Tidus/Yuna from FFX.

So more like Penelo/Vaan sort of thing. Gotcha.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Kagari, I read your review with the usual pleasure but I just wanted to ask you something: having just few town blocks' copied and past from location to location, does this mean that the only real explorable city in this game is going to be the Peristilium?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Kagari, I read your review with the usual pleasure but I just wanted to ask you something: having just few town blocks' copied and past from location to location, does this mean that the only real explorable city in this game is going to be the Peristilium?

It is. Most of the cities are just sort of one screen places with a few exceptions.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Capitals are relatively big.

Then there's more than one city to explore and NPCs to speak with. Cool :)
I thought everything was little rooms copied and pasted, and when this certanly seems true... cities with an unique look and decent size still exist in this game. I can't ask for more :p

dubc35

So we're at about a year and a half. I would assume that any hope for an official English version is dead by now?

dubc35

Sorry I should have specified I was referring to a PSP version. I would prefer that but I can't blame them for not doing it...as long as it's released in some form in the west.

Wow, I didn't even know there was a thread for this game. I only ever played the demo off of the japanese PSN store. I did actually like what I played mechanically; though, I don't know a bit of Japanese. How did the whole game turn out?

CorvoSol

Best love story in the game is Trey and Sice anyway.

Jubern

I FINALLY resumed my playthrough after months and months of putting it away for no real reason except "I'm not using my PSP anymore". Well I got a Vita and thought it was a good time to go back into this.

There's just a thing I can't remember for sure about the gameplay: If I go out of the academy (to do a quest, level up or whatever), how do I switch the characters in my active party?

CorvoSol

I FINALLY resumed my playthrough after months and months of putting it away for no real reason except "I'm not using my PSP anymore". Well I got a Vita and thought it was a good time to go back into this.

There's just a thing I can't remember for sure about the gameplay: If I go out of the academy (to do a quest, level up or whatever), how do I switch the characters in my active party?

You need to use a Save Crystal to swap party members. That or KO a character and make your choice in battle.

Jubern

But are there Save Crystal outside the academy?

edit> Forget it, I played a bit right now and you can indeed find save points in towns.

Jubern

My main complain with the gameplay was how slow it was to level up and keep your 14 members team at decent levels, but I found about the trick with the secret training! I'm abusing it to get my characters to recommended levels quickly and I don't even feel bad about it.

The game has some problems, like what I just mentionned or the world map not being very good, but otherwise it's awesome, I LOVE it.

I'm starting chapter 6 and holy sheeeeeeeit at the
Bahamut Zero vs Shinryu fight
at the end of chapter 5. Also, (early chap 6) I totally didn't saw
Machina betrayal coming. I mean, I get he's mad but to defect and become your country's archnemesis L'Cie? Get your shit together dude.
I suppose there's actually more to that last point, I'll see in due time!

CorvoSol

My main complain with the gameplay was how slow it was to level up and keep your 14 members team at decent levels, but I found about the trick with the secret training! I'm abusing it to get my characters to recommended levels quickly and I don't even feel bad about it.

The game has some problems, like what I just mentionned or the world map not being very good, but otherwise it's awesome, I LOVE it.

I'm starting chapter 6 and holy sheeeeeeeit at the
Bahamut Zero vs Shinryu fight
at the end of chapter 5. Also, (early chap 6) I totally didn't saw
Machina betrayal coming. I mean, I get he's mad but to defect and become your country's archnemesis L'Cie? Get your shit together dude.
I suppose there's actually more to that last point, I'll see in due time!

My only problem with the world map is that you're stuck on one continent the whole game.

Jubern

I'm having a hard time with the last dungeon. It's really, really annoying me. Until I got there I was plowing through the game and this avalanche of pseudo-SO is killing it for me >_>

The story also took a very strange turn with Chapter 8's beginning, not sure I like where this is going.
I'll try to do a second playthrough quickly to get filled in on the blanks.

Overall this has been a nice ride. I was kind of expecting more and the gameplay had a lot of problems when you think about it, but it definitely had awesome moments. I tried to see as much events as I could, and I loved the Kazusa side-quest.

I'll try to make a little more progress in that last dungeon when I get home tonight... Yesterday I raged quit in the room where
you need to defeat those huge flans+soldier tag teams in 6 minutes, while being randomly (?) it by fire, that constantly made me lose my pace. Coming out of the room where you can't use physical attacks (was totally unprepared for that...) I couldn't take it anymore >_>

CorvoSol

I'm having a hard time with the last dungeon. It's really, really annoying me. Until I got there I was plowing through the game and this avalanche of pseudo-SO is killing it for me >_>

The story also took a very strange turn with Chapter 8's beginning, not sure I like where this is going.
I'll try to do a second playthrough quickly to get filled in on the blanks.

Overall this has been a nice ride. I was kind of expecting more and the gameplay had a lot of problems when you think about it, but it definitely had awesome moments. I tried to see as much events as I could, and I loved the Kazusa side-quest.

I'll try to make a little more progress in that last dungeon when I get home tonight... Yesterday I raged quit in the room where
you need to defeat those huge flans+soldier tag teams in 6 minutes, while being randomly (?) it by fire, that constantly made me lose my pace. Coming out of the room where you can't use physical attacks (was totally unprepared for that...) I couldn't take it anymore >_>

Have you read the GameFAQs spreadsheet for those? It makes it a lot more clear.

The trial you're in right now is one of the hardest, no doubt, but you can avoid getting hit by fire by paying attention to the tiles you're on. The ones that will hurt you light up. Also, who are you using for this room? Jack is good for every room because his sword cuts most anything to pieces, although Rem and Sice are the best mages in the game, as I recall, and they'll be more useful for taking out the invisiflans.

The real worst room in the final dungeon is
the one where you have to defeat the upgraded knights before they can kill any of the NPCs. Good luck with THAT crap. It is every bit as rough the first playthrough as it is at level 99.

Although, the greatest disappointment in the game still lies ahead of you, since
the final boss fight cannot be lost under any circumstances.

My advice is to always use Jack and Ace. Especially Jack, because he's just plain broken.

Jubern

Just looked it up, but are you talking about that translation spreadsheet? Thanks, but I'm good with Japanese! I noticed for the tiles on the floor, but when you're jumping around like mad man trying to avoid the killsight-inducing attack, it's a bit hard.

Might try Jack yeah. The few times I controlled him I teared the enemies apart, so he might be what I need here.

Just for confirmation, I don't suppose there's any point where they will resurrect my dead characters for free? I only have one Phoenix down and I want to be careful as to where I'll use it.

Also is it me or is the breaksight point of the knight-type enemy pretty random? Unless you stagger him first of course, then there's always this easy breaksite point.

CorvoSol

Just looked it up, but are you talking about that translation spreadsheet? Thanks, but I'm good with Japanese! I noticed for the tiles on the floor, but when you're jumping around like mad man trying to avoid the killsight-inducing attack, it's a bit hard.

Might try Jack yeah. The few times I controlled him I teared the enemies apart, so he might be what I need here.

Just for confirmation, I don't suppose there's any point where they will resurrect my dead characters for free? I only have one Phoenix down and I want to be careful as to where I'll use it.

Also is it me or is the breaksight point of the knight-type enemy pretty random? Unless you stagger him first of course, then there's always this easy breaksite point.

I can't believe I forgot this, haha. Anyway, the Final dungeon restores your party to life three times, I believe. Once after the Iron Giant battle. Once when
you reach the final four trials with the Four Sacred Animals on them and once prior to the final battle.

Remember though, that if you recently saved and need your party back, you can just kill them all and respawn them at the last crystal. This comes in handy at the final four trials.

Jubern

I can't believe I forgot this, haha. Anyway, the Final dungeon restores your party to life three times, I believe. Once after the Iron Giant battle. Once when
you reach the final four trials with the Four Sacred Animals on them and once prior to the final battle.

Remember though, that if you recently saved and need your party back, you can just kill them all and respawn them at the last crystal. This comes in handy at the final four trials.

It's cool :p

The Iron Giant battle... Do you mean that first boss after the first four trials? Shit I can't believe I forgot to check there. I only had lost King (because I'm dumb) and didn't bother to check. I'll take a look at my party when I get home.

Also, "kill them all and respawn them at the last crystal"...? Do you mean that if I get into a game over situation my entire party just respawn unscathed at the last save point?! I never had this happen so I didn't knew about it lol

Thanks for the help by the way, much appreciated.

CorvoSol

It's cool :p

The Iron Giant battle... Do you mean that first boss after the first four trials? Shit I can't believe I forgot to check there. I only had lost King (because I'm dumb) and didn't bother to check. I'll take a look at my party when I get home.

Also, "kill them all and respawn them at the last crystal"...? Do you mean that if I get into a game over situation my entire party just respawn unscathed at the last save point?! I never had this happen so I didn't knew about it lol

Thanks for the help by the way, much appreciated.

I'm pretty certain that yes, if your party is wiped out you respawn at the last save crystal you used with the whole party revived. I know this because the room where you have to save the NPCs is the worst part of the entire game. Even at level 99 I frequently game over there.

Man, I don't use King often because reloading is rough when I have Cater instead.

Top Bottom