• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY (Agito XIII) Type-0 |OT| Occupy Suzaku

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I bought it with the Vita and it looks pretty. Mapping the camera to the right analog is also quite nice, but I hardly use it during the frantic battles to be honest. I don't have a PSP so I can't make any comparisons though, sorry.
Does the vita screenshot function work with PSP games? It'll be nice if you could post some screens if so:) Thanks in advance:)

Cloudy

Banned
Will this be released over here as a vita title? Or will it just be PSN only? A UMD release seems like a money-loser at this point

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Will this be released over here as a vita title? Or will it just be PSN only?

No one knows yet, and we probably have to wait for E3 to find out. But we can expect it to be (if Sony allows) an HD remaster for both PS3 a VITA like they're already doing with the Final Fantasy X HD edition. And I expect both versions to be retail at some point.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I have the Official Type 0 Artbook.

Ask me anything.

Contains a crapton of artwork. Unused concepts that are also in the game's actual model data. Things like unused summons, playable characters and the like.

Unreleased artwork, contains 2 interviews one for the artists and one from Tabata(translating that one from anyone would be appreciated).

What I really like is the amount of detail they put into each of the 4 nations and several other concepts.

Only flaw is that Class Zero only got their renders but the Artbook was well worth what I spent for it.

And GILGAMESH was in it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I own that artbook as well, it's gorgeous.

Anyway, after a long delay I've finally finished my review and submitted it for approval. It should be ready soon.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Still waiting on Square Enix to figure something out. The lack of attention for this title outside of Japan is really disappointing.

Perfo

Perhaps this game needs some sort of localization campaign...

They're probably converting it to HD for PS3 (and 360?) to release next year as the "new entry in the Final Fantasy series". They game could sell very well in the west on home consoles, that's why I hope they're planning a re-launch of it skipping VITA or 3DS conversions, where the game doesn't have chances to sell well here in the west.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
]They're probably converting it to HD for PS3 (and 360?) to release next year as the "new entry in the Final Fantasy series".[/B] They game could sell very well in the west on home consoles, that's why I hope they're planning a re-launch of it skipping VITA or 3DS conversions, where the game doesn't have chances to sell well here in the west.

There really hasn't been any rumblings to support that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How was the game? I feel pretty burned by SE this generation, so Final Fantasy went from my most beloved franchise to "maybe they'll pull it out of the tar pits one day".

For me, it's one of the best Final Fantasy games... probably since Crisis Core FFVII.

Perfo

There really hasn't been any rumblings to support that.

If they're working on a VITA version (HD remaster), they're working on a PS3 version too (HD remaster). Would be really dumb if not... even if we're speaking of Square Enix. I'm pretty sure that this game could even sell 500k in the west if on PS3, while on VITA (or 3DS) doesn't have any chance to do that numbers or above right now, in my opinion of course.

... probably since Crisis Core FFVII.

Crisis Core is a *good* Final Fantasy? I guess I'll keep sticking with M.Toriyama's games if that's the alternative to his jRPGs :\
I expect a bit more from Type-0 though, hoping I'll not get burned by thinking so. I really love its style.

Mario007

They're probably converting it to HD for PS3 (and 360?) to release next year as the "new entry in the Final Fantasy series". They game could sell very well in the west on home consoles, that's why I hope they're planning a re-launch of it skipping VITA or 3DS conversions, where the game doesn't have chances to sell well here in the west.

I wouldn't say so. If Type-0 is supposed to create a spin-off series than they'll want to keep it on handhelds. The consoles would be too crowded with FF releases, especially if they decide to create a saga out of each new numbered FF game.

A Vita release still seems the most probable. Also isn't Sony announcing an unannounced game from a japanese studio at Gamescon?

Perfo

I wouldn't say so. If Type-0 is supposed to create a spin-off series than they'll want to keep it on handhelds. The consoles would be too crowded with FF releases, especially if they decide to create a saga out of each new numbered FF game.

A Vita release still seems the most probable. Also isn't Sony announcing an unannounced game from a japanese studio at Gamescon?

I didn't say it'll be exclusive to home consoles, like I went on to explain already. More like an HD Remaster for VITA and PS3. If they're working on a VITA version, I don't see for them the problem in converting it on PS3 too, like CAPCOM already did with Monster Hunter 3rd. Facts:

1) VITA is a dead console in the east, more so in the west.
2) Final Fantasy's fanbase is mostly on PS3 in the west.
3) An HD remaster for both VITA and PS3 will not require great efforts for Square Enix, sales will be necessary higher here that way (pre-rendered CGs are also already recorded in 720p if I'm not mistaken).

Why not?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If they're working on a VITA version (HD remaster), they're working on a PS3 version too (HD remaster). Would be really dumb if not... even if we're speaking of Square Enix. I'm pretty sure that this game could even sell 500k in the west if on PS3, while on VITA (or 3DS) doesn't have any chance to do that numbers or above right now, in my opinion of course.

Crisis Core is a *good* Final Fantasy? I guess I'll keep sticking with M.Toriyama's games if that's the alternative to his jRPGs :\
I expect a bit more from Type-0 though, hoping I'll not get burned by thinking so. I really love its style.

Coming from the guy that loves XIII/-2... Tabata is a far more competent director than Toriyama.

Fine then. Type-0 is the best FF game since FFXII and should have been the real FFXIII. How's that?

Mario007

I didn't say it'll be exclusive to home consoles, like I went on to explain already. More like an HD Remaster for VITA and PS3. If they're working on a VITA version, I don't see for them the problem in converting it on PS3 too, like CAPCOM already did with Monster Hunter 3rd. Facts:

1) VITA is a dead console in the east, more so in the west.
2) Final Fantasy's fanbase is mostly on PS3 in the west.
3) An HD remaster for both VITA and PS3 will not require great efforts for Square Enix, sales will be necessary higher here that way (pre-rendered CGs are also already recorded in 720p if I'm not mistaken).

Why not?

While I agree that Vita is at a bad state right now and I'd love for Type-0 to be a PS3/Vita release as I only have a ps3, I simply don't see it happening. It's much easier to develop a game for PS3 and downport it for the Vita than upport Vita titles to PS3. Never mind the fact that this is still a PSP game (though obviously quite enhanced).

To be honest for new FF titles fans will buy consoles, just like fans bought 3DS for MH3G. Considering the amount of work that went into this game already as it started as a mobile phone game, then moved to psp and now seems to be headed to Vita, I'd say it's a bit too much of a stretch to have it on ps3.

For me, it's one of the best Final Fantasy games... probably since Crisis Core FFVII.
I thought people generally disliked Crisis Core?

Coming from the guy that loves XIII/-2... Tabata is a far more competent director than Toriyama.

Fine then. Type-0 is the best FF game since FFXII and should have been the real FFXIII. How's that?
XII was the Final Fantasy games I enjoyed the least, though I wouldn't call it the worst. I was hoping this game was a return to form. Maybe it makes sense that no one is talking about it. XIII was at least better than XII, if not a good game.

Mario007

XII was the Final Fantasy games I enjoyed the least, though I wouldn't call it the worst. I was hoping this game was a return to form. Maybe it makes sense that no one is talking about it. XIII was at least better than XII, if not a good game.

I actually completely agree with you here. To me, XIII felt much more as a Final Fantasy than XII. XII had great first third of the game and then great last act but lost itself in its vastness and inability to develop the characters and their relation to the plot.

I actually completely agree with you here. To me, XIII felt much more as a Final Fantasy than XII. XII had great first third of the game and then great last act but lost itself in its vastness and inability to develop the characters and their relation to the plot.
That's basically how I felt. There was a huge world of stuff going on, and I was participating in it, but not a part of it. I also felt the "open world" was a vast region of nothing interesting going on, the combat system was infuriating due to system limitations, the spell effects were some of the worst I've seen in a FF game, and my pet peeve, unexplained magic. Even in the beginning of the game, you have Mist and such, so you're this random kid, Vaan, who is fighting with a sword, but can also make dimensions collapse in a series of explosions sometimes. Uh, okay? It's never even talked about. Apparently everyone can just cause multicolored backgrounds filled with explosions to appear. I say everyone because every character pretty much had the same Mist attacks with slight graphical variations, and they were all terrible save Basch's.

On the note of Basch, he was the only good character. If they made the game about his redemption as a knight, like they originally planned, it might have been salvageable. Instead we got a kid who can't shut the hell up about "I wanna be a sky pirate!" Guh. The plot in general was predictable. I didn't even raise my eyes on an occasion. As soon as I met the main bad guy, whose name is not worth remembering, I thought "Ah, he's going to kill his father and try to take over the world - he seems like that type." Of course, it took the game 2/3rds of the way to get there and meet my expectation. I honestly don't even remember what was happening for most of the game. It seemed like a long path of nothing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I thought people generally disliked Crisis Core?

The general reception for Crisis Core is quite positive.

As for XII, I had an even greater appreciation for it after playing FFXIII.

Type-0 is very much like PS1 era FFs, so if you liked those, you will like Type-0.

Type-0 is very much like PS1 era FFs, so if you liked those, you will like Type-0.
I usually hear complaints, but maybe it's a vocal minority.
I felt like XIII was an improvement over XII, but anything probably would have been.

I liked VII, loathed VIII (worst one), thought IX was mediocre and uninteresting. My favorites are VI, VII, and then X, in that order. I like "character driven" stories, which, to me, just means a good story. I'm not sure how you tell a story without characters involved in it without failing.

Mario007

That's basically how I felt. There was a huge world of stuff going on, and I was participating in it, but not a part of it. I also felt the "open world" was a vast region of nothing interesting going on, the combat system was infuriating due to system limitations, the spell effects were some of the worst I've seen in a FF game, and my pet peeve, unexplained magic. Even in the beginning of the game, you have Mist and such, so you're this random kid, Vaan, who is fighting with a sword, but can also make dimensions collapse in a series of explosions sometimes. Uh, okay? It's never even talked about. Apparently everyone can just cause multicolored backgrounds filled with explosions to appear. I say everyone because every character pretty much had the same Mist attacks with slight graphical variations, and they were all terrible save Basch's.

On the note of Basch, he was the only good character. If they made the game about his redemption as a knight, like they originally planned, it might have been salvageable. Instead we got a kid who can't shut the hell up about "I wanna be a sky pirate!" Guh. The plot in general was predictable. I didn't even raise my eyes on an occasion. As soon as I met the main bad guy, whose name is not worth remembering, I thought "Ah, he's going to kill his father and try to take over the world - he seems like that type." Of course, it took the game 2/3rds of the way to get there and meet my expectation. I honestly don't even remember what was happening for most of the game. It seemed like a long path of nothing.

Not to derail the thread further but you're absolutely right. I actually did like the start of FFXII, though, because Vaan was in the center of the events- stealing the stones, rescuing Penelo and even Ashe. As soon as Ashe is rescued though, the game starts falling apart. Balthier takes up Vaan's space as the main character, Bash is quite for most of the game, Penelo is non-existent. Fran is pretty good, thanks to being a nice partner to Balthier. Ashe and Vaan generally repeat the same one sentence over and over. They have that one very nice moment in the middle of the game and if only there was more of these the games would have been great.

I liked the thing about Venat, though, and the fight against Gods. In the end it's very much like FFXIII's plot, going against the destiny but here it was against the world's destiny whereas in FFXIII it was the characters' destiny. It did make me genuinely feel for Vayne for a while, but it was too little too late.

Awesome! Hopefully Square hurries up and announces the localisation of it soon. I don't have a Vita yet but Type-0 would definitely make me buy one straight away. Plus I can't wait to see Tabata's take on Fabula Nova Crystalis. Did Tabata write the game as well or was he only the director?

Not to derail the thread further but you're absolutely right. I actually did like the start of FFXII, though, because Vaan was in the center of the events- stealing the stones, rescuing Penelo and even Ashe. As soon as Ashe is rescued though, the game starts falling apart. Balthier takes up Vaan's space as the main character, Bash is quite for most of the game, Penelo is non-existent. Fran is pretty good, thanks to being a nice partner to Balthier. Ashe and Vaan generally repeat the same one sentence over and over. They have that one very nice moment in the middle of the game and if only there was more of these the games would have been great.

I liked the thing about Venat, though, and the fight against Gods. In the end it's very much like FFXIII's plot, going against the destiny but here it was against the world's destiny whereas in FFXIII it was the characters' destiny. It did make me genuinely feel for Vayne for a while, but it was too little too late.
I think we're on the same page. I also thought the overall theme of the game was cool, which is part of why it's so infuriating. The game had a lot of cool stuff going on, but just utterly failed to make all the gears turn together. I do tire of the "go against destiny" theme in JRPGs, though. Venat having a personal involvement made it cool.

Fran almost became a character to me. Balthier is just flash, no substance. After slogging through what seemed like an endless non-quest, I felt pretty excited when she flipped out in the airship due to being in the presence of so much Mist. I don't think they ever explained what was going on there, but I thought "holy crap, this is it, they're going to add depth to a character!" Then the moment faded, and the mediocrity continued.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tabata was scenario designer as well as director. In my opinion he did a pretty good job as the story and characters are really interesting - they have meaning and there is really that connection between character and player in some instances. The lead script writer was Hiroki Chiba who has worked on games like FFVII, VIII, X, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Dirge of Cerberus.

Mario007

I think we're on the same page. I also thought the overall theme of the game was cool, which is part of why it's so infuriating. The game had a lot of cool stuff going on, but just utterly failed to make all the gears turn together. I do tire of the "go against destiny" theme in JRPGs, though. Venat having a personal involvement made it cool.

Fran almost became a character to me. Balthier is just flash, no substance. After slogging through what seemed like an endless non-quest, I felt pretty excited when she flipped out in the airship due to being in the presence of so much Mist. I don't think they ever explained what was going on there, but I thought "holy crap, this is it, they're going to add depth to a character!" Then the moment faded, and the mediocrity continued.

Yeah we definitely seem to. I actually also enjoy character driven stories regardless of how cliched or stupid the overall plot is.

I think the thing about Mist in Ivalice was probably explained in other games from the Ivalice Alliance and so they never went too deep into it in FF XII. I have to say though, that scene with Vaan and Ashe where Vaan admits to seeing Reks and Ashe talks about seeing her late husband was great. More of those scenes would have made the game amazing. (Btw Reks was another missed opportunity I felt.)

Speaking of character driven stories, how is Type-0 doing in this regard, would anyone know? I remember Tabata used to say that the whole Class-0 was a central character but that the two new guys were somehow special. So is the story about them or about the class itself?

Tabata was scenario designer as well as director. In my opinion he did a pretty good job as the story and characters are really interesting - they have meaning and there is really that connection between character and player in some instances. The lead script writer was Hiroki Chiba who has worked on games like FFVII, VIII, X, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Dirge of Cerberus.

Daymn, that's a pretty impressive resume there for Chiba. Now this game really does need to get localised, or I'll have to go find a playthrough with subtitles on youtube.

I think the thing about Mist in Ivalice was probably explained in other games from the Ivalice Alliance and so they never went too deep into it in FF XII.
They explained how kids can create explosions through will alone? :p

Goddamn, that's why it's so hard to take a name seriously.

VII - YES!
VIII - Oh shit.
X - Um...back to yes?
Chrono Trigger - Okay! Maybe he just had a series of bad moments in VIII!
Chrono Cross - I'm out.

Mario007

The story is about both Class Zero and Machina and Rem.

Thanks for clarifying that! Sorry to be picking your brains, but how is the FNC dealt with in the game. Is it drastically different from what Toriyama has offered, and is it kinda in your face like in XIII-2 or very much in the background like in XIII?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thanks for clarifying that! Sorry to be picking your brains, but how is the FNC dealt with in the game. Is it drastically different from what Toriyama has offered, and is it kinda in your face like in XIII-2 or very much in the background like in XIII?

It's a lot different than what Toriyama has produced. I'll pull a quote from my review:

While yes, certain mythological elements are present, I didn’t feel like they were in my face, large focuses of the story despite certain moments of deus ex machina – nor hampered by excessive jargon and side reading in a Datalog.

The use of Fabula Nova Crystallis elements such as l’Cie and fal’Cie are handled in much more interesting ways. For example, a l’Cie is seen as a positive, all-powerful being who possess eternal youth and fights for their respective country’s army. The drawback is that, within time, they’ll eventually lose their own identities despite being given a Focus by the crystals of Oriense. To put it simply, l’Cie in Type-0 are extraordinarily powerful – even more so than those found in FFXIII. Fal’Cie exist too, but the forefront of the story doesn’t rely too much on their role in the world.

Mario007

It's a lot different than what Toriyama has produced. I'll pull a quote from my review:

While yes, certain mythological elements are present, I didn’t feel like they were in my face, large focuses of the story despite certain moments of deus ex machina – nor hampered by excessive jargon and side reading in a Datalog.

The use of Fabula Nova Crystallis elements such as l’Cie and fal’Cie are handled in much more interesting ways. For example, a l’Cie is seen as a positive, all-powerful being who possess eternal youth and fights for their respective country’s army. The drawback is that, within time, they’ll eventually lose their own identities despite being given a Focus by the crystals of Oriense. To put it simply, l’Cie in Type-0 are extraordinarily powerful – even more so than those found in FFXIII. Fal’Cie exist too, but the forefront of the story doesn’t rely too much on their role in the world.

Oh right, well that does sound quite different than what Toriyama has done with it. Are the Gods (ie Etro, Bhuniverlze or Linzei) present or referred it at all? I've read before that the connection to FNC was pretty much just the l'cie stuff, so I'm wondering since the game did change its name because Tabata felt it was very far away from the FNC of FF XIII.

Also can I ask if your import review is up, because I haven't see it yet on RPGSite?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh right, well that does sound quite different than what Toriyama has done with it. Are the Gods (ie Etro, Bhuniverlze or Linzei) present or referred it at all? I've read before that the connection to FNC was pretty much just the l'cie stuff, so I'm wondering since the game did change its name because Tabata felt it was very far away from the FNC of FF XIII.

Also can I ask if your import review is up, because I haven't see it yet on RPGSite?

The gods do exist yes, but in ways you wouldn't expect... and perhaps in a more visible capacity... without giving away too much in terms of spoilers.

My import review is pending approval... it should go up soon though.

Mario007

The gods do exist yes, but in ways you wouldn't expect... and perhaps in a more visible capacity... without giving away too much in terms of spoilers.

My import review is pending approval... it should go up soon though.

Well that sounds intriguing. I'll definitely read your review when it goes up! And then just hope for the best when it comes to this game making it here. I'm pretty convinced that it will, but I just hope it will be sooner rather than later.

Perfo

It's the same feeling I had by playing the two japanese DEMOs and watching the various videos online. I'm really, really looking forward to Type-0's western release. Let's just hope they don't decide to cut out "ゼロ" from it in favor of some instrumental piece or L. Lewis's latest hit! :p

Perfo

Yeah, Type-0 IS the true FF13 for me.

The funny thing is that Type-0 was a FFXIII once :D

I'm so upset they changed the name to that title, would've been great having the complete FNC under the XIII title in the end. Original and cool.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That's why it's no longer Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII. It's simply Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy.

Labadal

The funny thing is that Type-0 was a FFXIII once :D

I'm so upset they changed the name to that title, would've been great having the complete FNC under the XIII title in the end. Original and cool.

Isn't Type-# now a sub-series? I'll take that.

Mario007

Wow, it really does look like Type-0 is an amazing game and I can't wait till Square announces it for the west. Thanks for the brilliant review as well Kagari! I just have one question about the replayability- is the story completely different or is it just a case of additional scenes being unlocked?

Also, and this is probably a weird question coming from a guy, but is there romance in the story given that there seem to be so many call-backs to traditional FF elements?

Isn't Type-# now a sub-series? I'll take that.

Yup that's the plan. They also trademarked Type-1, Type-2 and Type-3 if I remember correctly.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Framework for Type 1 is in effect.

I have a small fan translation team and we have translated some of the interview and have summarized translations of BOTH novels.

If you are interested in them let me know.

Information from the interview reveals some story elements that tell us of 2 different books. The book of Akasha and the Nameless Tome. The NT is implied to be written by Arecia and details the Fabula Mythos and the Book of Akasha details each cycle's events and is edited for each one and is written in secret by the Suzaku Faculty, for example Khalia.

We also have several Crimson Codex Character Profiles translated.

I also really like what they did with GILGAMESH in this game. You guys have got to check out the lore in this game. It's so much win.

All the past Genbu L'cie are named after characters from the original Epic of Gilgamesh, and it's pure genius

Labadal

I read your review, Kagari. It was good but could have been slightly shorter. From what I read, and from what little I played of the first relelased demo, I really hope we see this getting a western release. It won't be a perfect game, but it still seemed like a lot of care was put in this game. It had "something" that I have missed in later installments. It reminded me a little bit of the PS1 games, just like you describe in your review, and that's why I want it so much. The music is great, and the design of the world really appeals to me. Can't comment on the story, even from what I played of the demo, since I don't know Japanese.

It was a good read, but it just made me want the game even more.

Domo arigato gusaimas.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It was a lot shorter... but the game is so massive I felt it necessary to explain a bit more on some things ;) In fact there are things I didn't even talk about.

Top Bottom