• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius |OT3| A How To Guide Of Pulling Out To Avoid Bediles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentus

Great stuff! Valentus! I'll be interested in how long your Gigamesh trial going to be. lol.

Thank you buddy!

Awesome! My Exdeath helped Valentus clear one of his insane F2P challenges! Thanks for the shoutout!

Also, reading what was giving you trouble before you beat it, I knew throwing DC on Refia would make the fight one and done.

But I didnt say anything cause I know you dont like to use TMs.

At this point though, I think DC is fair. Im essentially F2P, and DC was the 1st TM i acquired!

Good work I say!

I beat ELT on my first try with Cecil, CoD, Exdeath, DC Refia, Cerius, and friend Noctis. 3 TMs (DC, DW, Rising Sun) and Im sure I couldve done it with a friend Exdeath instead of Noctis.

Your unit (and all gaf's units) always help me. Before the final fight (the one i upload to youtube) i try several times with different combinations, and i need the friend units to keep trying and analyzing. This is ExviusGAF victory too, thank you all of you who helped me in the debate of the afternoon.

That's really impressive Valentus. I was confused at first, didn't realise that was your channel haha. Going to watch the video in full when I get up, great work! Hope you get more subscribers.

Lol haha, thanks!

Lyrian

The TM i used was dualcast on my refia. I want to clear content without it, but my units cant solve the puzzle Abraxas gives to me.

Tilith: Basically rainbow veil. Why i didnt use Cloud of Darkness? Because her Omniveil IS NOT ENOUGH to mitigate damage with those units and equip. Also Tilith has Goddess Miracle, that just Like CoD's comeback, it heals ailments, but tilith also cure your party.

Abraxas: The Final Battle. Basically here i cant cast meteor because Abraxas will swallow 2 party members at the same time. But i can cast Wicked Light, and the good thing is that Abraxas is a little weak to holy. With deep blue and defend, both exdeaths and tilith can survive "Release" without trouble. It was a slow battle but with refia and her dualcast, i have control of the table all the time.

And there goes this event. Im a little sad because i cant clear it TM-free, but also is true that almost most and most players have at least 1-2 TMs, and the more recurrent ones are the TMs of base 3 star units, like dualcast and Dual Weild.

Ok, snipped your post a whole bunch, but kept the parts I really want to focus upon.

Upon watching the video, that really brought a smile to my face. Incredibly well done, given what you brought to the fight. I can honestly say that you maximized the potential you had for that team and there is literally nothing more you could have done here outside of adding TM weapons/gear to the units. I'll explain further below.

First and foremost, that's a mighty fine unit box you have there. As someone who likes to level units, that's a very impressive and diverse collection of units ready to go on demand. Kudos, indeed.

Let's deconstruct your mechanics:

Team Comp: 3 Healers, 2 Mages + 1 Support

The thread discussed this situation briefly yesterday, about marginal healing utility and damage attrition. Essentially, the team requires Refia + Luka + Tilith to keep up with the marginal damage threshold of the dungeon. Bartz is there as a mana exploit, while the 2 Exdeaths are there as magic damage.

So, essentially a heavy defense mage team, using Bartz as a way to ensure longevity of MP pools of high MP-burning units. Solid concept here.

What actually happened:

-- Very long grind per fight
-- Healers kept buffs up to lower incoming damage
-- Exdeaths kept chipping away enemy life via Meteors
-- Bartz suicides to replenish everyone's MP as needed.

These fights are a perfect example of the long-run outcomes of any fight given these conditions:

1) The enemy has no "damage race" conditions (kill me in X turns or the party auto-dies)
2) The enemy cannot achieve total damage over the marginal healing potential of the party (the party can fully recover each turn from the total damage of the enemy)
3) The player has unlimited resources to the team.

Given these conditions, no matter how long it takes, the player will always will in a battle of attrition.

BUT, when one of these conditions fail, the player will lose when using a grind team.

Such a situation happened, during the Abraxas fight, and the ability to recover from that demonstrates the clear power of Dualcast.

So, what we have here is a teachable moment.

/teachermode on

Class, please advance the video to 53 minutes, where we will review minutes 53 to 57 of the fight.

The scenario: At 53 minutes into the video, Valentus has maintained control of the fight the entire time. Buffs are up, and everyone is at full life. Here, we watch everything go bad quickly through an unfortunate round of random attacks.

Tilith goes down, and as Valentus checks, buffs have naturally expired on that turn as well. It's a classic "Oh Shit, the Run May Be Over" moment. At this point, condition #2 above is now threatened. With Tilith down, the reduced healing capacity introduces the potential for all that missing life on each unit to become accumulated damage attrition and risk a complete wipe the next turn.

So, at minute 54, Valentus weighs his options and optimally addresses the situation. Refia via Dualcast raises Tilith and heals the party via Curaja. This frees up Luka to recast Deep Blue to restore defense buffs to the party.

Note that at this point, not all of the damage is healed on everyone, and becomes damage attrition. This is a significant problem, as this increases the odds of bad RNG the next round wiping the team. I think Valentus realized this (the long pause) and forwarded a masterful gambit. He used Bartz as a sacrifical lamb via Provoke to eat as many attacks as possible the next round in an attempt to increase the chances of all the healers surviving that round while suffering from damage attrition. As minute 55 shows, the gambit pays off because of beneficial RNG and everyone survives that round. Thus, by minutes 56 and 57, Valentus is able to restore the team to full health and restore all buffs to regain control over the fight, which ultimately led to the win.

Now, could he have recovered from the scenario without Dualcast? I'm not going to say a complete no to that, but I will say that the probability of him surviving the next turn would have been much, much lower otherwise and probably close to zero outside of a blessing from RNGesus.

Those four minutes were the Plays of the Game for this run.

Class dismissed.

/teachermode off

Honestly, I can't see any faults here. The run was as letter-perfect as it gets.

Also, in the future, I can't see runs like this happening. For example, in PAD, there are specific mechanics that can be used (and often are) in the game to intentionally cause damage-race conditions or to prevent a grind team from attritioning out a long battle for a win. I would expect at some point similar conditions to appear in FFBE to prevent 75 minute grindfests from occurring.

Further, as an additional aside, once the crystal change is implemented (~2 months?), I would drop the no-5* condition for teams. Similar to the logic on how many F2P teams should have at least 1-2 TMs now, many F2P should be able to "trip" over 1 or 2 5* base units once rainbows are guaranteed in the future.

As always, a tip of my hat in respect to a masterful run.

Broseybrose

@Lyrian fun post to read. I love really getting into the nitty gritty of analyzing and theorizing what is and is not possible in games.

Yeah that was fun to watch.

Definitely the best use of the Life Giver -> Full Life combo Ive seen yet.

Bartz was also very useful provoking and tanking.

I think my lineup of:

CoD
Cecil
Refia DC
Cerius (with Healing Staff, Barstonra and Baraeroa equipped)
Exdeath
Friend

might be easier, but not nearly as interesting to watch! What do you guys think?

Valentus

Now, could he have recovered from the scenario without Dualcast? I'm not going to say a complete no to that, but I will say that the probability of him surviving the next turn would have been much, much lower otherwise and probably close to zero outside of a blessing from RNGesus.

You almost read my mind haha, the provoke cast was a last-minute change of plans, because the initial plan was doing normal attack to chain the wicked lights, but i chose provoke because i indeed was going to sacrifice bartz, because with tilith dead, i cant renew the rainbow veil.

Now, to the answer of your question: NO, because the reason i decided to use dualcast was because in the previous run that was the exact same situation that happened to me, but worst, because it was 2 units dead in the same turn. And without dualcast, i couldnt revive both units at the same time and heal back all the damage.

Like i said, if i would have a full potted tilith or cone fina, maybe the outcome would be different, but i dont have pots left, so i will never know.

Incredible analysis lyrian, kudos.

jnWake

I've almost bought everything I want from the Mog King. Need a few more thousand candies and I'll be done farming.

I have to say, GAF's units have been really helpful since I can only beat ADV on my own. So, thanks :3

Btw, can I buy the 100 Cactuars if they'll put me beyond my unit limit?

Muku

I've almost bought everything I want from the Mog King. Need a few more thousand candies and I'll be done farming.

I have to say, GAF's units have been really helpful since I can only beat ADV on my own. So, thanks :3

Btw, can I buy the 100 Cactuars if they'll put me beyond my unit limit?

From the Mog King? Yes. But you won't be able to run or do anything else. Because if you try to go run something it'll be like "You've got too many damn units knucklehead."

Finished ELT. Was tougher than I thought. Couldn't get all the chests in 1 run.

Party was:

Cecil
Refia
CoD
Ramza
Chiziru

w/ Noctis friend

Only TM was Dual Wield on CoD. Probably should have had it on Chiziru and not sure why I am using Ramza but can't think of what unit type to replace him with.

I just use him to non-stop +40% buff my team.

How long until we get a big hitting Katana? I can almost get my 2nd TM but can't decide between Blade Mastery for Chiziru or Dual Cast for Refia.

Prototype

Ok, snipped your post a whole bunch, but kept the parts I really want to focus upon.

Upon watching the video, that really brought a smile to my face. Incredibly well done, given what you brought to the fight. I can honestly say that you maximized the potential you had for that team and there is literally nothing more you could have done here outside of adding TM weapons/gear to the units. I'll explain further below.

First and foremost, that's a mighty fine unit box you have there. As someone who likes to level units, that's a very impressive and diverse collection of units ready to go on demand. Kudos, indeed.

The thread discussed this situation briefly yesterday, about marginal healing utility and damage attrition. Essentially, the team requires Refia + Luka + Tilith to keep up with the marginal damage threshold of the dungeon. Bartz is there as a mana exploit, while the 2 Exdeaths are there as magic damage.

So, essentially a heavy defense mage team, using Bartz as a way to ensure longevity of MP pools of high MP-burning units. Solid concept here.

What actually happened:

These fights are a perfect example of the long-run outcomes of any fight given these conditions:

1) The enemy has no "damage race" conditions (kill me in X turns or the party auto-dies)
2) The enemy cannot achieve total damage over the marginal healing potential of the party (the party can fully recover each turn from the total damage of the enemy)

Given these conditions, no matter how long it takes, the player will always will in a battle of attrition.

BUT, when one of these conditions fail, the player will lose when using a grind team.

Such a situation happened, during the Abraxas fight, and the ability to recover from that demonstrates the clear power of Dualcast.

/teachermode on

Class, please advance the video to 53 minutes, where we will review minutes 53 to 57 of the fight.

The scenario: At 53 minutes into the video, Valentus has maintained control of the fight the entire time. Buffs are up, and everyone is at full life. Here, we watch everything go bad quickly through an unfortunate round of random attacks.

Tilith goes down, and as Valentus checks, buffs have naturally expired on that turn as well. It's a classic "Oh Shit, the Run May Be Over" moment. At this point, condition #2 above is now threatened. With Tilith down, the reduced healing capacity introduces the potential for all that missing life on each unit to become accumulated damage attrition and risk a complete wipe the next turn.

So, at minute 54, Valentus weighs his options and optimally addresses the situation. Refia via Dualcast raises Tilith and heals the party via Curaja. This frees up Luka to recast Deep Blue to restore defense buffs to the party.

Note that at this point, not all of the damage is healed on everyone, and becomes damage attrition. This is a significant problem, as this increases the odds of bad RNG the next round wiping the team. I think Valentus realized this (the long pause) and forwarded a masterful gambit. He used Bartz as a sacrifical lamb via Provoke to eat as many attacks as possible the next round in an attempt to increase the chances of all the healers surviving that round while suffering from damage attrition. As minute 55 shows, the gambit pays off because of beneficial RNG and everyone survives that round. Thus, by minutes 56 and 57, Valentus is able to restore the team to full health and restore all buffs to regain control over the fight, which ultimately led to the win.

Class dismissed.

/teachermode off

Honestly, I can't see any faults here. The run was as letter-perfect as it gets.

Also, in the future, I can't see runs like this happening. For example, in PAD, there are specific mechanics that can be used (and often are) in the game to intentionally cause damage-race conditions or to prevent a grind team from attritioning out a long battle for a win. I would expect at some point similar conditions to appear in FFBE to prevent 75 minute grindfests from occurring.

Further, as an additional aside, once the crystal change is implemented (~2 months?), I would drop the no-5* condition for teams. Similar to the logic on how many F2P teams should have at least 1-2 TMs now, many F2P should be able to "trip" over 1 or 2 5* base units once rainbows are guaranteed in the future.

This was a pretty mesmerizing read. Nice analysis!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Decided to use 3 more tickets and got two Cupid Lunas. The TM is really just that fucking good, so I wanted to get two.'

Basically Auto-Refresh, with increasing the MP then additional Resists. If they stack, I'll double it up on Refia and use her own TMs to fill in the spots or give one over to my Support character.

bonkeng

What actually happened:

/teachermode on

Class dismissed.

/teachermode off

You should do a collab with Valentus.

Valentus do the challenge trial, you do the commentary.

And name the channel Valyrian. Coz, Orlandu is Coming. Lame, I know. But I can't pass up a GoT nod :D

Pachimari

Yeeeeeeees. Never thought I would get to this point but here I am with a Luneth at lvl 100! But to be honest, he doesn't seem that strong? He only got 249 Attack with 2 broadswords equipped..

aab35V8.jpg

Guess I'll max out my Exdeath and Cecil next.

tuffymon

Congrats V! Would be awesome if you got put in the light from Gumi directly with your crazy vids!

While late to the show, I totally agree with allowing a certain number of Tm's btw, theres been enough moogles for sure 1, and maybe even 2 Tm's by this point in the game. Keep up the good work.

Chinner

Banned
Yeeeeeeees. Never thought I would get to this point but here I am with a Luneth at lvl 100! But to be honest, he doesn't seem that strong? He only got 249 Attack with 2 broadswords equipped..

Guess I'll max out my Exdeath and Cecil next.

Well you need to give him some half decent equipment.

le.phat

Mana ELT done. Phew! That was some of the best fun I had in the game in a while.

My all *6, no TM, f2p team:

Cecil - golem ( buff/provoke/emergency heals )
Ling - carbuncle ( debuffing/ buffing, Lb transferring to Cecil, MP Regen )
Bartz - ifrit ( imperil/MP recovery/DPS )
Refia - Diabolos ( buffing/healing/raising )
XDeath - ramuh ( meteooooooooooooors )
Friend (noctis - DPS )

I focussed only on the right lane bosses, up until the final boss, then I returned to the Medusa boss's to heal/charge up for the final battle.

Last boss was tough but doable once you learn how to prepare for release.

Biggest help were the bar spells, especially having bars on both Cecil (ability equips) and ling (carbuncle).

Focuss your party on buffing/debuffing/healing/raising and leave the DPS to your friend. Try having at least two support characters and an off-healer.

wilstreak

this banner is crazy

first day use 3 ticket and got all 3 Cupid Luna.

Thinking that the curse might have been stopped today, pull again and got Cupid Luna.
Granted she is better than Cyan, Shadow, but still..

Vashetti

Banned
Tell me how to beat ELT Trials of Love with

6* Cecil
6* Noctis
5* Lenna
6* Exdeath
6* Cloud of Darkness

I get creamed every time, lol

Rootbeer

Banned
Tell me how to beat ELT Trials of Love with

6* Cecil
6* Noctis
5* Lenna
6* Exdeath
6* Cloud of Darkness

I get creamed every time, lol
Maybe replace Exdeath with another 6* physical attacker if you have one. Even 6* Rain might be a better choice. For MP concerns. Maybe just do one "light" side run if you are using magic so you can spam Meteor & Exdeath's Light dmg spell, especially if you have dualcast

Got any other healer than Lenna? She's gonna be a bottleneck.

Check out some of these videos:
http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Trials_of_Love#ELT

Pachimari

Can someone here help me with Exdeath's with 400+ magic just for today? I just need the last 8 metal gigantuars from the Mog King for my own Exdeath. :)

Vashetti

Banned
Any other healer besides Lenna?

What other 6* units do you have?

Maybe replace Exdeath with another 6* physical attacker if you have one. Even 6* Rain might be a better choice. For MP concerns. Maybe just do one "light" side run if you are using magic so you can spam Meteor & Exdeath's Light dmg spell, especially if you have dualcast

Got any other healer than Lenna? She's gonna be a bottleneck.

Check out some of these videos:
http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Trials_of_Love#ELT

Healer wise, I have Fina, VLC Fina, Garnet, Maria, Krile, Rosa

But no Refia :(

Lenna's the weak link in my party

I'm struggling still. I do not have dual cast TM.
Refia
Cecil
Exdeath
Bartz

The last slot is a question mark for me, From my unit list it's CoD who seems the best fit due to Omni veil. Which side has the easiest bosses left or right? I been using left to get to the boss.

Xion86

Can someone here help me with Exdeath's with 400+ magic just for today? I just need the last 8 metal gigantuars from the Mog King for my own Exdeath. :)

I'll share mine, currently 557 MAG but no Dual Wield (pretty sure you have me added).

Lyrian, that was a fantastic post, thanks for taking time out of your day for that, as well as Vanentus and his work. Makes this go from "just a mobile game" to something much deeper,

Today's Daily was a Gold....Seven. That's different :).

Pachimari

I'll share mine, currently 557 MAG but no Dual Wield (pretty sure you have me added).
Thanks! I just need 2 more gigantuars unless there's anything else worth getting from the Mog King. And then I guess I should do the Cactuar Dunes afterward to level up my Exdeath and Cecil?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I nearly beat the event, using Krile as a backup healer / dualcasting Bar skills instead of leveling up CoD, Ling or Marie.. Got Abraxas down to about 40% with relative ease and no sense of danger...then he used swallow and one shot my tank and thrashed my team. :-/

Just pulled a Marie from the 250 lapis bundle ticket, my first base 5 unit, as a f2p player I' m so happy.

Congrats!

Valentus

I'm struggling still. I do not have dual cast TM.
Refia
Cecil
Exdeath
Bartz

The last slot is a question mark for me, From my unit list it's CoD who seems the best fit due to Omni veil. Which side has the easiest bosses left or right? I been using left to get to the boss.

From my experience, First fight the boss of the right, Then i prefer Cagn over herme because with the right strategy, you can keep Cagn under control.

Pachimari

My Exdeath is lvl 60/80 and it's no longer possible to exchange candy for metal gigantuars at King Mog. I guess the easiest way to earn experience now is through the Cactuar Dunes?

c-murph

Decided to use 3 more tickets and got two Cupid Lunas. The TM is really just that fucking good, so I wanted to get two.'

Basically Auto-Refresh, with increasing the MP then additional Resists. If they stack, I'll double it up on Refia and use her own TMs to fill in the spots or give one over to my Support character.

What does Auto Refresh mean? Is that like MP refreshing?

Edit: NVm figured it out. 5% MP gain.

Lyrian

http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Best_places_to_farm

Is this current for GL?
I'm desperate for more stamina.

Feel like that's the biggest thing holding me back right now. I know exactly what I need to do and how to do it. Just waiting lol

That's a great question. I'd like to know too. I've been looking for things to burn stamina on quickly when I need to, and I hadn't even thought of specifically grinding rank.

Yes, the list is correct in terms of rank xp efficiency per stamina.

As a general trend, the farther in story mode one gets, the greater the rank xp efficiency, no matter what dungeon is attempted.

But in terms of raw speed, nothing still beats Wicked Peaks - Alluring Winds (it's the dungeon where you get Diabolos, the floor directly before fighting him).

In regard to explorations, Timber Tracks exploration (the first dungeon in Zoldaad) is a very simple exploration, where the only real challenge is the boss (the trash mobs are unusually easy for being so far advanced in story mode). The path to the boss and exit, is literally a straight line to the player's left until reaching the end.

Once upon a time (in the first FFT event, an eternity ago), Gumi gave an event where rank XP at an obscene rate (62 per EN) was farmed while earning event currency at the same time. It was heavenly. Sadly though, Gumi learned their lesson quickly and has never offered such an opportunity again since that event. So, story mode it is for farming rank xp.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Going to be a sad week when they don't have a new banner.

Anyways, Hayate's TM finished up last night, so my Noctics is pushing 830ATK.

If I can by chance get Shine and finish up on Gaff's, He'll be set. The only question is will I want to replace the C.Gloves with a Ruler Ring for a bit more HP.

Luneth is lacking, but hopefully with the 30% from the Giglamesh fight and Leon's TM(Fingers cross), He'll jump up to about 800 soon too.

Lyrian

Most unusually impressed with Reddit this morning.

They love Val's Trials of Love run and many there are inspired by his actions. In the massive salt factory that is the FFBE subreddit, there is a lot of respect for him over that run. Even the naysayers generally admitted that they couldn't find fault with the run.

Very cool :)

Lyrian

Going to be a sad week when they don't have a new banner.

Anyways, Hayate's TM finished up last night, so my Noctics is pushing 830ATK.

If I can by chance get Shine and finish up on Gaff's, He'll be set. The only question is will I want to replace the C.Gloves with a Ruler Ring for a bit more HP.

Luneth is lacking, but hopefully with the 30% from the Giglamesh fight and Leon's TM(Fingers cross), He'll jump up to about 800 soon too.

If there is no new banner, shouldn't the Gilgamesh trial be coming during this down week with the new story content?

From my experience, First fight the boss of the right, Then i prefer Cagn over herme because with the right strategy, you can keep Cagn under control.

gonna have to disagree with Val since Herme can be one shotted thus saving massive resources

that said you do need the right dps setup to do it

we are talking holy damage, big attack buff, beast killer stacking... the works

Yeah I agree that no TMs is harsher than necessary. You could've easily gained a few only playing F2P since release!
Oh for sure. I'm a day 1 player who has never spent any money on the game, yet I have the following TMs: Dual Wield x2, Dual Cast, Power of Creation, Blade Mastery, Excalibur, Sakurafubuki, Rising Sun, Equip Shield, Meteor and Barrage.

Heck, I even got super lucky with 1 true rainbow to put a bunch of these on, giving me an 800+ ATK Noctis and a Tanky DC Refia to anchor my teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom