• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Billychu said:
ff8-squall5.jpg

What do I name him?

Aerith

Edit: Ultros is probably better.

My favourite soundtrack as a companion to the game it's from is undoubtedly FF9's. If looked at from a 'pure music' perspective I think Uematsu actually did amazing work on every single game and bits of 6 through 10 all stand out, but as a cohesive musical experience, nothing beat's 9's for me. Everything's so fitting and so tight musically in that game I find it to be an almost astonishing piece of work, even if the individual tracks stand out less.

Also, I seem to recall Crystal Bearers' soundtrack being pretty good. Shame that game is so overlooked. Hidden gem in the series from a world design/music/etc perspective, with mediocre gameplay.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Gravijah said:
no, i changed my mind. me and ultros are going to be lovers.

can't wait to
not catch you in space
. :p

Billychu said:
Excellent...

I'm just going to name people after people in the thread. Squall is ULTROS! The next character is Beef.
But I don't wanna be Rinoa. :(

You can only change Squall and Rinoa's names, but Guardian Forces are changeable, so I guess that works.

ULTROS!

Gravijah

Professor Beef said:
But I don't wanna be Rinoa. :(

You can only change Squall and Rinoa's names, but Guardian Forces are changeable, so I guess that works.

???

pretty sure you can change everyones name? i remember the scene where Zell comes backflipping in, and i swear i remember a rename prompt popping up.

edit: huh, guess i'm wrong!

Gravijah said:
???

pretty sure you can change everyones name? i remember the scene where Zell comes backflipping in, and i swear i remember a rename prompt popping up.
Only prompt I remember is that mini tutorial for how his Limit Breaks work. There's still a few things aside from GFs that can be renamed, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
???

You cannot rename the other party members because they generally have nicknames used throughout the game, I guess.

You can rename Rinoa's dog.

Beth Cyra

Dark Schala said:
You cannot rename the other party members because they generally have nicknames used throughout the game, I guess.

You can rename Rinoa's dog.
Anyone who renames Angelo is a monster.

Just sayin.

ULTROS!

TruePrime said:
Anyone who renames Angelo is a monster.

Just sayin.

Angelo = TruePrime

Beth Cyra

Gravijah said:
someone cool should be griever, for obvious reasons.
Best GF ever, only Madeen from IX comes close to the awesomeness that is Griever.

Billychu said:
Draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw ....
Oh dear god, don't do that to yourself man. Make sure you get your Card mods as soon as you can so you can avoid the worst part of the game.

I don't think think I ever renamed Angelo, to be honest.

I did rename Griever,
which led to some unintentionally hilarious circumstances during the final boss battle.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ULTROS! said:
Angelo = TruePrime
TruePrime Reverse
TruePrime Rush
TruePrime Search
TruePrime Recover
TruePrime Cannon
TruePrime Strike

I never renamed Angelo, but if I did, I'd probably try to come up with something funny.

Gravijah said:
madeen from ix also has one of the coolest summoning animations.
And you were saying that the Eidolons in that game were underwhelming at first. See? :p

Beth Cyra

Dark Schala said:
TruePrime Reverse
TruePrime Rush
TruePrime Search
TruePrime Recover
TruePrime Cannon
TruePrime Strike

I never renamed Angelo, but if I did, I'd probably try to come up with something funny.

And you were saying that the Eidolons in that game were underwhelming at first. See? :p
Yes listen to her and not do this.

Angelo should stay Angelo.

Gravijah said:
sorry dude you're shiva lol

edit: speaking of coolest summons:

Ultima from FFXIII. the silence before the explosion always gets my heart racing.

The sound for that is amazing. However I always found Ultima wanting to both Eden and Bahamut Ritsu as far as Space Nukes go.

Though she is better then Ark.

Gravijah

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I think Bahamut is a pretty cool guy. Just sayin'.

*cough*

your name is too long

Dark Schala said:

well... they are! at least, in battle. they're some of the best when it comes to cool cutscenes.

Beth Cyra

TheBranca18 said:
Anima from FFX and Alexander from FFIX destroy everything else.
Alexander couldn't handle the Invincible, let alone a Giant Spaceship Female hybrid thing that can shoot you into a freaking black hole.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Gravijah said:
sorry dude you're shiva lol

edit: speaking of coolest summons:

Ultima from FFXIII. the silence before the explosion always gets my heart racing.
Army of One is the best (spammable) attack in FF history. Just throwing that out there.

Dragon

Banned
TruePrime said:
Alexander couldn't handle the Invincible, let alone a Giant Spaceship Female hybrid thing that can shoot you into a freaking black hole.

If you're going to argue that, it stands to reason that the Invincible can corrupt pretty much any Eidolon/Aeon/Summon whatever. Not sure how well that argument stands.

Alexander is a city that takes names. It deflects a charge from Bahamut, I'd say it owns.

Beth Cyra

TheBranca18 said:
If you're going to argue that, it stands to reason that the Invincible can corrupt pretty much any Eidolon/Aeon/Summon whatever. Not sure how well that argument stands.

Alexander is a city that takes names. It deflects a charge from Bahamut, I'd say it owns.
Well that wouldn't really work with GF's as they are stored in one's mind.

Don't get me wrong The Bahamut Vs Alexander Fighter from IX was amazing, was pissed that we didn't actually get Alexander as a summon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
well... they are! at least, in battle. they're some of the best when it comes to cool cutscenes.
Did you get Ark? Cuz I'm gonna make you go back to FFIX if you didn't.

Also, Alexander is awesome~! I loved that scene in FFIX.

Gravijah said:
dark schala gets to be diablos because she is dark and gravija is a cool attack.
Oh you. I actually like using Diablos a lot. :D

DY_nasty said:
Army of One is the best (spammable) attack in FF history. Just throwing that out there.
Army of One is good when you're driving up the Break Gauge after you have staggered the enemy. It's good, but it takes up a bit of time because you're stuck in the animation.

But I like using Cold Blood a lot better prior to stagger. You get more hits than Army of One, you drive up the Break Gauge when the enemy is not staggered yet (and if you have Sazh's RIC (random instant chain) gear on, you can easily stagger the enemy because Sazh is the best at using this tactic due to how many hits he can dish out (thus increasing the probability of RIC hitting). And although Sazh is locked into the animation of Cold Blood, the camera is not fixated on him and you can easily see if your characters are still getting stuff done while you're shifting your Optima while Sazh is still locked in the Cold Blood animation.

But to be honest, I didn't like the FFXIII "hi-ougis" very much. They aren't as impressive as FFVIII's.

Dragon

Banned
True enough. I forgot about that plot point from FFVIII. I haven't played it in at least ten years. I remember Himuro stopping in the middle of a playthrough a while ago which made me slightly interested. Then I watched Spoony's review and I remembered some of the faults of the game.

Gravijah

Dark Schala said:
Did you get Ark? Cuz I'm gonna make you go back to FFIX if you didn't.

Also, Alexander is awesome~! I loved that scene in FFIX.

of course i got ark! and then i proceeded to be disappointed by the fact that his damage is capped at 9999. :/

did i ever tell you that eiko was my end game MVP? her 8000-9999 damage holy ripped everything to shreds from mid/late disc 3 onwards. plus her heals and buffs... yeah, best character in the game, battle wise.

Top Bottom