• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
Guys I totally hate how the men in FF look girly now and am also going to ignore that they have always been bishies and that Cecil canonically looks enough like a woman that when he was a baby the king instantly recognized him as looking like his momma.

Why can't FF characters look manly like I always thought they did even though they never did?
That whole thread was dumb.

Listing Tidus and Squall as having dumb hairstyles as if they're completely out of the ordinary. In fact, the only effeminate male lead after VI was Vaan.

CorvoSol

That whole thread was dumb.

Listing Tidus and Squall as having dumb hairstyles as if they're completely out of the ordinary. In fact, the only effeminate male lead after VI was Vaan.

I pointed out the OP cherry pickin' and they got huffy, at which point I split. "Excuse me for using protagonists to make my point!"? Ha, 'cuz WoL, Firion, Cecil and Bartz weren't bishonen? C'mooon.

Wazzy

Banned
I pointed out the OP cherry pickin' and they got huffy, at which point I split. "Excuse me for using protagonists to make my point!"? Ha, 'cuz WoL, Firion, Cecil and Bartz weren't bishonen? C'mooon.
Yeah I saw that. His whole post was a bunch of nonsense. He lists VII and then posts AC Cloud. He then excuses IX when Zidane is more effeminate than Squall and Tidus.

I also can't stand when people act like I-VI were the glory days for FF when the franchise became it's biggest with VII-X. Not that there's anything wrong with preferring the first 6, just that claiming they were the only good ones and FF died with the 3D games are wrong.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yeah, gotta agree: Fuck the $156 a year subscription fee.

$156?!

:0

I'm glad I'm not into MMOs like other people. Not because of wasting time (I waste plenty on vidya and gaf) but that price point man...although I know there are some where you just pay once and for huge expansions.

CorvoSol

Yeah I saw that. His whole post was a bunch of nonsense. He lists VII and then posts AC Cloud. He then excuses IX when Zidane is more effeminate than Squall and Tidus.

I also can't stand when people act like I-VI were the glory days for FF when the franchise became it's biggest with VII-X. Not that there's anything wrong with preferring the first 6, just that claiming they were the only good ones and FF died with the 3D games are wrong.

I feel like 6-10 are probably the series' hey-day. Not that 5 and 12 are bad, just that 6-10 were the golden years.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I knew FF Community would be hating on the discussion happening over on the main page :)

Wazzy

Banned
I knew FF Community would be hating on the discussion happening over on the main page :)
Well of course. Those threads far too often turn into "my opinion is better than yours" and all discussion goes down the drain.

When the OP starts off by listing characters who aren't effeminate, the thread isn't going to start positively.

I think there's some merit in discussing recent FF design such as AC, Dissidia, XIII, etc. but boiling it all down to "lol Nomura" is frustrating and takes the discussion nowhere.

Tizoc

Because I'd rather play it when I'm on my holidays as opposed to a time when I'd get a little busier.
Hmm fair enough...

Plus it's better if I got a Japanese 3DS anyway. Games I'd probably want in any case may not get localized.

Coolios, I sort of thought as much, plus doesn't the JPN eShop have games not available in English?

If it means anything, I prefer playing games in English since it'll be cheaper and I process English faster.

But hey, For the Sequel has a language toggle. >.>

Wait language toggle to English you mean?

Wazzy

Banned
One of my biggest frustrations with those threads is it brings out these subtle homophobic posters and they get away with it.

Mr. RHC

Guys I totally hate how the men in FF look girly now and am also going to ignore that they have always been bishies and that Cecil canonically looks enough like a woman that when he was a baby the king instantly recognized him as looking like his momma.

Why can't FF characters look manly like I always thought they did even though they never did?

I know right? Even the female characters look effeminate in these games, I mean, seriously?
I was being sarcastic (Just in case :p).

I never got why "effiminate" equated to "bad" to some people. It was the same ol' shit when the Male Wizard of Diablo 3 was shown off for the first time, only then we got an entire community hating on it with some even giving off homophobic slurs. Bunch of damn jokers. Yes, so Final Fantasy men aren't body building underwear models that make women swoon. They aren't Fabio or Kevin Sorbo in Hercules. And?

And why the hell was Snow said to be Effeminate?

Snow_alternate_outfit.jpg

Wut?

Wazzy

Banned
I think a lot of it has to do with homophobia and gender stereotypes of how men should be manly and gruff while women should be weak and petite.

When posters are saying FF is too gay then you know people have some backwards views.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with wanting a more gruff or older character. Just boiling it all down to "these characters aren't manly enough, I want real men!" Is.

I think a lot of it has to do with homophobia and gender stereotypes of how men should be manly and gruff while women should be weak and petite.

When posters are saying FF is too gay then you know people have some backwards views.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with wanting a more gruff or older character. Just boiling it all down to "these characters aren't manly enough, I want real men!" Is.

I'm trying not to label people, but honestly, the more and more I think about it... that's the only thing that makes sense about why you would honestly give a damn.

And yeah... fuck the "FF is too gay" crap.

aravuus

I'm trying not to label people, but honestly, the more and more I think about it... that's the only thing that makes sense about why you would honestly give a damn.

And yeah... fuck the "FF is too gay" crap.

Eh, I totally understand just plainly hating the designs too, I don't think it necessarily has to do with gender roles or phobias.

Although it clearly is about those for most of the posters in that thread. The one going "stop with these gay/metrosexual designs" was especially cringeworthy.

Yeah, gotta agree: Fuck the $156 a year subscription fee.

Holy shit it's that expensive? I'd love to try the game after all the praise I've heard but jesus christ that is just too much.

Eh, I totally understand just plainly hating the designs too, I don't think it necessarily has to do with gender roles or phobias.

Although it clearly is about those for most of the posters in that thread. The one going "stop with these gay/metrosexual designs" was especially cringeworthy.

Holy shit it's that expensive? I'd love to try the game after all the praise I've heard but jesus christ that is just too much.

That's the kind of poster I mean. Those that hate Nooj's design because it looks freaking stupid aren't.

Wazzy

Banned
I must be crazy because I don't think $156 is that much for a year. It's not cheap but I'm a former WoW player so a price like that doesn't really bother me.

h.
Of course. I'm specifically referring to the posters calling the characters effeminate and gay.

I honestly thought that poster was trolling when I first read it. Then I responded and got no response so I'm pretty sure they're serious.

Tizoc

My brother got the PS4 FF14 during the time when the servers were overloaded, he could NEVER connect through his account and play the game.
His 1 month subscription has been used up.
He's away from the PS3 during work days since his workplace is in another town.
He hardly plays on the PS3 when he's available.
I'm willing to bet he's still gonna buy a subscription unless he plans on trading the game off, in which case I doubt he can get a good price on trading it in =V

CorvoSol

The irony is that in Japan, it's super duper beefy guys who are the stereotypical gay dudes. Hence the body builders in FF7.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's strange they talk about perfect haircuts, when the reality is that some of those styles (like the side-ponytail and Noctis's hairstyle, for example) are rather popular in Japan.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's strange they talk about perfect haircuts, when the reality is that some of those styles (like the side-ponytail and Noctis's hairstyle, for example) are rather popular in Japan.
Wait, what? I saw tons of side ponytails when I was in Japan, and I associate that style almost exclusively with Japanese women.

Edit: misread!! Oops.

CorvoSol

My sole complaint with character design was actually addressed in XIII: that the women ought to be freezing in ice levels. Which Vanille affirms: in the frozen lake Bresha she's feelin' cold as heck.

I also appreciated that none of the three main women in XIII showed off cleavage.

Wazzy

Banned
OT- I just saw in another thread some poster had a signature. I knew there were some gaffers that could use/see signatures but I thought you actually had to enable seeing them. Weirdest part is that they were the only poster with one.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

CorvoSol

OT- I just saw in another thread some poster had a signature. I knew there were some gaffers that could use/see signatures but I thought you actually had to enable seeing them. Weirdest part is that they were the only poster with one.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I had no idea that signatures happened on GAF.

Also EvilK I can't help, as I don't have the codes.

CorvoSol

It's not like I have particularly high hopes. The game is nearly two years old by now anyway. Is the content even any good?

In all honesty, I felt the DLC in FFXIII-2 was the actual good part of the game. Assuming we're talking the boss fights. Gilgamesh, Ultros, Jihl, Lightning were all fun fights that put one's knowledge of the system to use, so I enjoyed those.

Never bought any other DLC for the game.

Noi

The Gilgamesh DLC is literally the only fight in XIII-2 that forces you to use the monster infusion system. So many pointless subsystems in that game.

CorvoSol

Okay I'm going to finish Xenoblade and A2 soon. I'm finally going to put Pokemon down.

Yeah I didn't think we had them either but then I saw that posters. Odd.

Take A2 out back, shoot it in the head, burn it, take a leak on the ashes, then burn it again, then burn the place you burned it, then bury the ashes under ground, then build a house over top of that spot, burn it, and pour cement everywhere and mark the place as having been hit by a nuclear weapon.

A2 is an awful game.

I think this is the place to ask.

Well i haven't played a FF since FF-X, and i'm kind of in the mood to play another one.
Lately i've been looking around, and i kinda want to try FFXIII, at least for the time being until FFX HD is released...

Do you guys think i should go for it? I don't have an extense backstory with FF, but i'm kind of an RPG-gamer... KH, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, etc...

(Don't want to generate conflict, it's an honest question and i'm more than aware of the usual hate the game gets here, however i'm here asking to the guys who love FF so your opinion is a lot more worthy to me than the rest)

CorvoSol

I think this is the place to ask.

Well i haven't played a FF since FF-X, and i'm kind of in the mood to play another one.
Lately i've been looking around, and i kinda want to try FFXIII, at least for the time being until FFX HD is released...

Do you guys think i should go for it? I don't have an extense backstory with FF, but i'm kind of an RPG-gamer... KH, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, etc...

(Don't want to generate conflict, it's an honest question and i'm more than aware of the usual hate the game gets here, however i'm here asking to the guys who love FF so your opinion is a lot more worthy to me than the rest)

I think your time would be better served playing Final Fantasy XII. It's a great game, and while Vaan's sort of a goof, it has some great characters in Ashe, Balthier and Basch.

Wazzy

Banned
Take A2 out back, shoot it in the head, burn it, take a leak on the ashes, then burn it again, then burn the place you burned it, then bury the ashes under ground, then build a house over top of that spot, burn it, and pour cement everywhere and mark the place as having been hit by a nuclear weapon.

A2 is an awful game.

I know but I feel compelled to at least finish it. :(

Top Bottom