• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Rinoa

It's really amazing to think that at one point FF6 could've had 16 playable characters. The menu certainly makes it look that way, with two spaces empty, leaving you short of a fourth final party.

Good to know I'm not the only person who thought that because of the space. My childhood OCD thought it suggested "you're still missing 2 more people to find!"

CorvoSol

Good to know I'm not the only person who thought that because of the space. My childhood OCD thought it suggested "you're still missing 2 more people to find!"

Those General Leo rumors on the playground. I mean come on. He was Aerith but with a sword and gamebreaking ability.

While we are fishing up Nomura artwork, here's an FFXI concept sketch that most people probably never saw.

qa0GZcp.jpg

It's painfully obvious he did it when you notice the chainsaw sword.

His aesthetic sense was very peculiar during FFX days as we all know.

There are some familiar symbols on the shield emblem.

While we are fishing up Nomura artwork, here's an FFXI concept sketch that most people probably never saw.

It's painfully obvious he did it when you notice the chainsaw sword.

His aesthetic sense was very peculiar during FFX days as we all know.

There are some familiar symbols on the shield emblem.

Nice! I recognize this sketch from the original FFXI trailer in 2000, when Square announced FFIX, FFX and FFXI all at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB1YPSp2VAI

On this note I would pay good money to watch a movie animated in Amano's style.

There's Deva Zan, but it may or may not be in development hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLu5VSdYAg

Red Mage

Terra with sword. I think Celes is next to Shadow.

Nah, Sword Woman has a cape. I think it's Celes.

Anyhow, I think I've figured out why I have trouble seeing VIII as a full-fledged world: For a large part of the game, you're not traveling between locations yourself. Instead you take a train, boat, etc. between a lot of areas early on, usually with a jump cut. Add to this the dream sequences, and the perspective of how many locations are situated and related are rather disconnected.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Anyhow, I think I've figured out why I have trouble seeing VIII as a full-fledged world: For a large part of the game, you're not traveling between locations yourself. Instead you take a train, boat, etc. between a lot of areas early on, usually with a jump cut. Add to this the dream sequences, and the perspective of how many locations are situated and related are rather disconnected.
VIII also had a lot of material that was pretty barebones in the way it was presented. They could have done a lot more with Ultimecia's timeline, the ancient cities you explore, and the aliens that you find. You make a very good point, though.

CorvoSol

But Terra has a cape, too. Just not in-game.

Wazzy

Banned
I wish I hadn't left my charger at a friends house because now I can't play AA5 till tonight :(
VIII also had a lot of material that was pretty barebones in the way it was presented. They could have done a lot more with Ultimecia's timeline, the ancient cities you explore, and the aliens that you find. You make a very good point, though.

The latter two were fine but I will agree that Ultimecia's rule should have been presented better. I'm pretty sure it was due to budget issue's which is unfortunate since I would have loved to see how she affected the world.

I'm however in complete disagreement that VIII's world didn't feel like one. I thought it was the most fleshed out and realistic. You had means of transportation through cars and trains and many different landscapes such as FH built over the ocean, Trabia in the snowy mountains, Dollet and Balamb near the beachside, etc.

Krammy

I'm stopping by to vent, but I purchased the Final Fantasy 25th Memorial Ultimania Vol. 1 when it released last year, and it's served me incredibly well, but I'm so disappointed this hasn't (and likely never will) get a proper, translated release.

As a homebrew enthusiast, there's so many little tidbits of information that I just HAVE to know about in this book, mostly relating to the design documents listed at the end section of each game. I see one from Final Fantasy III that looks like it might detail a glitch they encountered during development, and various other documents about sizing up sprites on graph paper before turning it into dot art. It's all incredibly fascinating to me.

I guess I better start learning Japanese. Sigh~

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Square doesn't localize it's artbooks and Ultimania's. Probably think it isn't worth the investment and that the western audience outside of a minority won't care about them.

I seriously don't get why they are still keeping the timer in LR. It doesn't go down on the menu, in battle, or during cutscenes and it's now much harder to lose time and so much easier to gain it. They've thrown out most of the interesting aspects like tight time management (due to the extreme leniency), performance based rewards/punishments (battles have been made easier again and much fewer things are based around this), and a punishing learning curve. They've gone back on the whole "you have to play multiple times to experience everything" and now you can blow through in a single 50 hour playthrough. Hell, you now even have abilities to freeze time whenever you want. All of the "innovative" aspects of the clock seem to have been stripped and now what we are left with is a gimped clock which merely serves as a source of stress to inexperienced players in the over world.

I seriously don't get why they are still keeping the timer in LR. It doesn't go down on the menu, in battle, or during cutscenes and it's now much harder to lose time and so much easier to gain it. They've thrown out most of the interesting aspects like tight time management (due to the extreme leniency), performance based rewards/punishments (battles have been made easier again and much fewer things are based around this), and a punishing learning curve. They've gone back on the whole "you have to play multiple times to experience everything" and now you can blow through in a single 50 hour playthrough. Hell, you now even have abilities to freeze time whenever you want. All of the "innovative" aspects of the clock seem to have been stripped and now what we are left with is a gimped clock which merely serves as a source of stress to inexperienced players in the over world.

You still need to spend time to do certain things like enter a Colosseum fight or redo a battle. You can do most things in 50 hours but certain events happen at a certain time so you might need to do multi plays to see everything. And the Chronostasis ability cost ep and is temporary when used.

They want the FFXIII audience.

Don't you mean the Japanese audience. Who are they testing the game with? One of their reasons to change the battle system was because SE said the Japanese players found the XIII system complicated.They even put an easy mode for xiii-2 and the original XIII. At least LR will have a hard mode.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

In my opinion they're also trying a way for most players to see most of the content in a game. As you know majority don't even finish games, let alone checking on extras. By "prizing" every step the play with "further time" maybe could be a working gimmick to let anyone try harder. As for me it sounds like something very original that will make my experience with the game quite unique. I love challenge.

CorvoSol

Don't you mean the Japanese audience. Who are they testing the game with? One of their reasons to change the battle system was because SE said the Japanese players found the XIII system complicated.They even put an easy mode for xiii-2 and the original XIII. At least LR will have a hard mode.

But it has auto battle. You just hit "Kill". How is that complicated in any sense of the word?

You know, why don't they ever actually try to emulate the style of the characters Nomura draws into the game?

In FFXII and Vagrant Story, the 3d models always emulator Akihiko Yoshida's style as best they could and it looked great because of it, and continues to look great today.

I don't see the same love and attention on display on anything he does character designs for.

They need to make a new renderer develop new shading techniques or something, because call me crazy, but I actually like the sketch he did for Lightning's outfit, but maybe that's because it's not colored.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
You know, why don't they ever actually try to emulate the style of the characters Nomura draws into the game?

? What you mean? I always thought S-E had top modellers when it came to that, Nomura's characters always did look great in 3d. Best renders though are in Dissidia: Final Fantasy – kinda obvious considering his full involvement.

In FFXII and Vagrant Story, the 3d models always emulator Akihiko Yoshida's style as best they could and it looked great because of it, and continues to look great today.

I don't see the same love and attention on display on anything he does character designs for.

They need to make a new renderer develop new shading techniques or something, because call me crazy, but I actually like the sketch he did for Lightning's outfit, but maybe that's because it's not colored.

Yeah, looks pretty good when Normura draws it.

Wazzy

Banned
? What you mean? I always thought S-E had top modellers when it came to that, Nomura's characters always did look great in 3d. Best renders though are in Dissidia: Final Fantasy – kinda obvious considering his full involvement.

Really? I thought Dissidia was by far the worst. Everyone looked plastic and weird.

Really? I thought Dissidia was by far the worst. Everyone looked plastic and weird.

Plastic is definitely the word to describe it yes.

Everything looks so plasticine in full 3D SE games nowadays.

Most notably in FFXIV but that's an MMO and I understand corners have to be cut in the area.

Top Bottom