• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I'm glad you finally admit that Dissidia got Terra 100% right.

tumblr_m7ccr0ACnX1qevziqo1_500.gif

CorvoSol

I'm glad you finally admit that Dissidia got Terra 100% right.

Visually, sure, when you account for the green hair costume. In terms of attitude and character portrayal that's a load of shit, you're as dead wrong as you ever have been on this subject, and I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth.

You can't tell me with a straight face that WoL, Laguna, Cloud, Squall(at times, other he looked fine) and Sephiroth look good. I think all the females came out fine but many of the male characters looked odd.

Well hold on, are we talking the CG sequences, or the in-game models? Because I honestly thought that in-game models looked fine. If you're talking the CG models then yes, I agree that that stuff looked awful. I've gone on the record as saying numerous times that the CG Warrior of Light is some kind of noseless horror who should not be compared with his actual in-game model, save it be to demonstrate that the CG model is inferior.

He said it, not me.

I said no such thing, and again, I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth.

Wazzy

Banned
Well hold on, are we talking the CG sequences, or the in-game models? Because I honestly thought that in-game models looked fine. If you're talking the CG models then yes, I agree that that stuff looked awful. I've gone on the record as saying numerous times that the CG Warrior of Light is some kind of noseless horror who should not be compared with his actual in-game model, save it be to demonstrate that the CG model is inferior.
Ah oh okay I was talking about the CG. I didn't realize we were talking about in game models.

CorvoSol

Ah oh okay I was talking about the CG. I didn't realize we were talking about in game models.

Ah, okay then. Yeah the CG was meh. Especially WoL.

Maybe it was hard for you. I'm RPG pro. After FF NES 1-3 nothing surprises you anymore.

I also played those, but you still need some strat to get through 4TAY, especially the wii version. Even if that strat is "debuff the boss with slow and then buff your team like cray."

Wow.
Just started watching a let's play of Final Fantasy 7 and holy cow I can't believe I missed so many small details in the very beginning

Misspelling of producer in the credits, one of the Mako Reactors not on in the intro cutscene, and being able to get 2 potions out of the unconscious guard in the beginning rather than 1? It's stunning just how much one can miss in their first playthrough.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

Yeah I was talking about the ingame models, most of the times CG ones don't look that good. For example XII's CGI is the most offender, with ingame engine beating it in beauty from every point of view. Same for XIII and so on. As good as Visual Works sometimes is, it's an hit and miss for the most. There's especially lack of consistency with their CGI. Advent Children is their top work for now.

Nomura's art translated better to Dissidia because games like that and KH are more stylized in game.
In Dissidia's case, the CG would look more off. It would of benefited better if it had a 2d animation intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThW1X_ZBQOw

For games like FF, the worst offender in inconstancy to me is FFX, at least when it came to Tidus and Yuna. SE did a new promo art that matches more Nomura's work.

They probably will for XII. (watch it be a CG of Vann)

Back in the PS1 days SE liked to use the traditional art as well as CG to promote their games.Both types of character art was prominent. Probably why they made the attempt to make the CG match the 2d art more since.

Now I love Nomura's art, but lately for games like XIII and XV the end result(CG) looks better than his concepts.

this:
does not look better than this:
His concept of Light for LR looks more stylized than the other XIII games, which might make it more appealing I guess, but that CG intro takes the concept to a better place.
LR_FFXIII_Lightning_concept_art.jpg
In conclusion their CG work, starting with XIII, has gotten better so it will be more prominent and the concepts relegated to books. XIII's menu would of looked off if it had 2d art.

But based on what has been said and what you guys seen of XV, would you want it more stylized to match Nomura's art?

Nomura's art translated better to Dissidia because games like that and KH are more stylized in game.
In Dissidia's case, the CG would look more off. It would of benefited better if it had a 2d animation intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThW1X_ZBQOw

For games like FF, the worst offender in inconstancy to me is FFX, at least when it came to Tidus and Yuna. SE did a new promo art that matches more Nomura's work.

They probably will for XII. (watch it be a CG of Vann)

Back in the PS1 days SE liked to use the traditional art as well as CG to promote their games.Both types of character art was prominent. Probably why they made the attempt to make the CG match the 2d art more since.

Now I love Nomura's art, but lately for games like XIII and XV the end result(CG) looks better than his concepts.

this:
does not look better than this:

His concept of Light for LR looks more stylized than the other XIII games, which might make it more appealing I guess, but that CG intro takes the concept to a better place.
LR_FFXIII_Lightning_concept_art.jpg

In conclusion their CG work, starting with XIII, has gotten better so it will be more prominent and the concepts relegated to books. XIII's menu would of looked off if it had 2d art.

But based on what has been said and what you guys seen of XV, would you want it more stylized to match Nomura's art?

For me, the stylized approach just works with LR's designs. I'm not saying that I would want it for all the games, I'm just saying it happens to work for LR. The CG also makes her outfit look fine.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Not-so-secretly you're just biased in favor of Blue Magic and other non-conventional job classes.

Well doing the same thing over and over gets boring. Now if I could have a really good OP Berserker class that makes you retard strong then that would be mega awesome.

CorvoSol

Well doing the same thing over and over gets boring. Now if I could have a really good OP Berserker class that makes you retard strong then that would be mega awesome.

Isn't that what a Berserker is anyway? To have hilariously high ATK stat at the cost of any other options?
Dancer, Samurai, Archer and Red Mage for the win.

Then they would be bad movies instead of mediocre games.

But then it would've been over that much faster!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I just mean that they would be extremely pretty.

I'd love another AC's type of work from S-E, even if it's not happening soon. Well their newest jRPGs have alot of that cinematic feel (especially XIII) so I guess it's covered somehow... still, I would have love a FFXIII tie-in movie.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Isn't that what a Berserker is anyway? To have hilariously high ATK stat at the cost of any other options?
Dancer, Samurai, Archer and Red Mage for the win.

Kinda want it to expand beyond the basic attack command. Like have other skills like inspire berserk or even deathless rage. Which does exactly what it says, keeps you alive while you are enraged.

Red Mage

Samurai, Dragoon, Blue Mage and Red Mage for the win.

ftfy. = P

Nah, but Samurai + Red Mage is always an awesome pairing.

I'd love another AC's type of work from S-E, even if it's not happening soon. Well their newest jRPGs have alot of that cinematic feel (especially XIII) so I guess it's covered somehow... still, I would have love a FFXIII tie-in movie.

Only if Rifftrax covers it. That would be GLORIOUS!

I'm like, 6:30hrs into FF13 and i'm really enjoying it. Besides from a few shitty things (about Hope and Vanille, can't really stand them) the combat system's got me hooked, and the fight against lightning's Eidolon was really intense.

We'll see how it turns out from here...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well their newest jRPGs have alot of that cinematic feel (especially XIII) so I guess it's covered somehow...
Final Fantasy's cinematic nature was something that started being nurtured since Final Fantasy IV, though. It became noteworthy in Final Fantasy VI, and incredibly obvious in Final Fantasy VII as they finally had access to the technology to make it more life-like. This is not a recent phenomenon by any means. Even games like Romancing SaGa 3 and Chrono Trigger have inklings of that nature due to either scene direction, expansive spritework and animations, or other means. Parasite Eve is perhaps one of the, if not the, most successful of Squaresoft's early works with a cinematic focus.

It's just that especially recently, sometimes you can see where they insert cutscenes for the sake of cutscenes or scripted events, even though they may not be necessary or doesn't seems to add much to the game itself because they're mostly used as spectacle or something for players to passively gawk at.

So, no, that cinematic aspect has been with the company for a long time, stemming from Sakaguchi's on vision for the series and/or the games he was involved in.

Zukuu

Banned
I want to play the FF IV DS remake, but I've just read that you can only face the optional bosses when you're on a NG+, making me already hate the game (seriously, what is this shit?). So I'm thinking about getting a ng+ file that has no benefits over a normal first play through. Is that possible via hacks? Or is it even available somewhere? Would it alter the story in any way?

CorvoSol

I want to play the FF IV DS remake, but I've just read that you can only face the optional bosses when you're on a NG+, making me already hate the game (seriously, what is this shit?). So I'm thinking about getting a ng+ file that has no benefits over a normal first play through. Is that possible via hacks? Or is it even available somewhere? Would it alter the story in any way?

Story is not altered in NG+. GameFAQs tends to have save files you can download. The optional bosses are horribly hard anyway. Proto-Babil is straight up every attack is an instant death attack and every time you hit him he counters with another instant death attack. The reason I don't think the game lets you fight him before NG+ is because you cannot beat him unless you have beaten the game several times to get the requisite abilities for your party (Cecil and Kain are both gonna need Focus and Darkness, for instance.)

Is it wrong that I have reached my limit for how much I can argue about XIII? There's only so many times I can repeat myself about the criticisms and praises before I just say "hell with it, people have never listened and will never listen". I literally can't bring myself to care enough to write out another analysis of XIII or anything relating to it.

Is it wrong that I have literally reached my limit for how much I can argue about XIII? There's only some many times I can repeat myself about the criticisms and praises before I just say "hell with it, people have never listened and will never listen". I literally can't bring myself to care enough to write out another analysis of XIII.

I reached that limit a long time ago.

Here, drink this:

haterade.png

It will keep you going strong.

Not even that's enough, Mec. I've stopped and started a post for the recent "why do you hate Lightning" thread (I was gonna post that I liked her in XIII even though she wasn't anywhere near the best executed character wise... only in much further detail and analysis on the why) at least 10 times at this point because I always come back to "I'm screaming at a brick wall at this point. It's not worth spending an hour or two typing out the post and then spending hours in the thread defending it". I could be playing Batman Arkham Origins, doing homework... something other than taking on a 4 year old debate that never goes anywhere.

I have never felt quite so apathetic about a game before.

It became evident to me a long time ago that nobody was attempting to really learn why she is disliked, because if that was the case people would already know as this topic has been covered since the dawn of time.(Or at least FFXIII's inception)

Fact is nobody is really gaining anything from that exhausted topic, so the most I ever do is bluntly state my opinion while ignoring everyone else in those kind of threads.

Wazzy

Banned
The one thing that bothers me the most in the Lightning threads is when people try to drag Squall and Cloud down as a means to defend Lightning.

She never grows. She doesn't have a well written backstory nor is any of her relationships interesting. She's then repeatedly forced down the fans throats as if she's god's gift to the world. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.

While I found the amount of attention VII got annoying, I understood it. I'll never understand the focus on XIII and Lightning.

The only reason Lightning is even considered the protagonist in FFXIII is because they marketed her that way.

That's all she boils down to, shallow marketing.

Is it wrong that I have reached my limit for how much I can argue about XIII? There's only so many times I can repeat myself about the criticisms and praises before I just say "hell with it, people have never listened and will never listen". I literally can't bring myself to care enough to write out another analysis of XIII or anything relating to it.

tumblr_mtz8kwEkOP1r8uo3io1_500.png

I thought I made a pretty good post in that thread, but no one in it seems to have read it, so I'm just gonna deal, haha.

It's okay, I read it. And agree very much, for the most part.

Nobuo Uematsu played live tonight with his band the Dancing Dads here in Hawaii at Onicon. They played a variation of original music along with some Final Fantasy and Blue Dragon music. And what do you know, we spotted Hironobu Sakaguchi in the crowd (He wasn't "adverstised" to be here) recording video of the performance. Most people passed him by like he was just another guy. . Sakaguchi was nice enough to autograph my last story. Got Nobuo Uematsu autograph as well. He liked my club nintendo mario shirt!

yXJ7qyu.jpg

OqB6qL8.jpg

6w5PeYX.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Like I've been saying. You've been wasting your time. You are talking to people who don't give a crap about what you say.

Nobuo Uematsu played live tonight with his band the Dancing Dads here in Hawaii at Onicon. They played a variation of original music along with some Final Fantasy and Blue Dragon music. And what do you know, we spotted Hironobu Sakaguchi in the crowd (He wasn't "adverstised" to be here) recording video of the performance. Most people passed him by like he was just another guy. . Sakaguchi was nice enough to autograph my last story. Got Nobuo Uematsu autograph as well. He liked my club nintendo mario shirt!

That's pretty cool.

CorvoSol

yXJ7qyu.jpg

OqB6qL8.jpg

6w5PeYX.jpg

Dude that's so cool!

I was playing some XIII again and fought these orb things that self-destruct sometimes.
So there's this big fucking box of text on the orb saying "Self Destruct!"
And what does Lightning do? Walk right the fuck up to it and see if the thing really will explode right in her fucking face.

It did. And I shut this game down. It's probably stupid to complain about not being able to tell my team (or just the leader) where to move during the battles but that's how I feel. If I can control the position of my character in XIII-3 then it will be an infinitely better game for me. The way the characters will just line up to take damage from a single sweeping attack is astonishing. There's probably ways to control that shit by giving my character either ranged or melee commands but god damn.

I'm done with this game now, for sure. This might not be the most valid complaint about this but that's what eventually, after 30 hours pushed me over the edge. Might try out XIII-2 at a later time but I'm guessing I'll have exactly the same problems with it.

It's a shame too because I think the world, character and monster designs and music are all super cool and I would like to see more of it. I don't give a damn about the story though, if there even is one.

Edit: Actually I think I might just stick to occasionally booting up FFT on PSP to get my ass handed to me.

That is certainly one of the more frustrating things about the game.

The characters do have hit boxes and certain attack can hit or miss depending on the movement of the characters. Sure, by cancelling Lightnings attack chain you can make her flip away early and avoid damage sometimes, but when your character is not actively attacking, they fucking move on their own.

They get closer or farther away from the enemy with no input from the player, so it is very frustrating to see an attack that you saw Lighting dodge just minutes before by simply backing up suddenly hit you when Lightning suddenly decides "Oh he's doing a thing there, let me go up and see what he's doing".

HTupolev

This might not be the most valid complaint about this
Nah, it's a valid complaint. One of the most valid complaints about the combat system, really. What sucks is that it would be really difficult to get a combat system like this to work elegantly without having that downside and while keeping it interesting.

The "good" news is that it's not quite as bad as raw luck-based stuff. You can at least often see things coming and make decisions based on placement of allies and enemies. Placement of enemies especially gives you a lot of control over planning out the next ATB cycle; I've frequently switched attacks away from an almost-dead enemy before they're toast, finishing them with AoE's placed on the next target (this is especially practical when playing COM). Thankfully there's no PvP, as this is the same reason that it would be infuriating to play against a human.

Top Bottom