• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I'm enjoying the plot in Tactics Advanced 1. Sure it's not as complex as WoTL, but there's an undercurrent of angst and foreboding. I mean, Marche has
to destroy this fantasy world created by his friend who seeks shelter from reality.

It's kinda depressing. But there sure is a lot of fluff and rainbows.

CorvoSol

I'm enjoying the plot in Tactics Advanced 1. Sure it's not as complex as WoTL, but there's an undercurrent of angst and foreboding. I mean, Marche has
to destroy this fantasy world created by his friend who seeks shelter from reality.

It's kinda depressing. But there sure is a lot of fluff and rainbows.

The point of the world in TA1 is to look cheerful and alluring
to keep you from ever wanting to leave its hellish embrace
while you're almost beaten to a pulp by random people and also your friends and family who are selfish assholes.

Ultratech

Booted up my old GBA copy of FFTA and started playing from where I left off (10 hours in according to the save file). It's a charming little game, but maybe I should track down a copy of FFTA2 instead.

My question; which one is better? FFTA or FFTA2?

Edit: I've played and finished the masterpiece that is FFTWoTL.

If you had to choose: FFTA

Frankly, both are fairly easy to break by a wide margin without trying TOO hard.

But FFTA has a semi-entertaining plot.
Especially if you run with Marche being the bad guy!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So Square Enix shot themselves in the foot today guys.

I dunno how many of you are experts on totally batstuff insane culture (I am) but you can't be doing this. Square Enix's only option now is to sell all of their properties to me for a nickel so I can trade 'em to Magius for a Pokemon card so he can manage them in the only way we really know to be appropriate:

-MC is Berserker with Axes

-GILGAMESH saga

-No characters under the age of 27.

Holy shit. How did I miss this post?

I guess so. But honestly FF games like those might be interesting. Then again I doubt SE is capable of making another game like Deus Ex HR again. Which I just beat. Excellent game. Now back to Xenoblade.

Eidos made Human Revolution, Squeenix just published.

So, how did you like HR (obviously you liked it, but what about it did you like)?

Oh that.

Yeah that doesn't really surprise me.

Really, I have no problem with it. Yes, the intentions behind it are obvious and this isn't about freedom for sexual expression with women, but anything I might say would come across as slut shaming and I sincerely hate slut shaming. I've just accepted that the original goal of a mostly non-sexualized, strong female protagonist went out the window and they are now bringing on the sexy to scavenge any sales there are to be had.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Eidos made Human Revolution, Squeenix just published.

So, how did you like HR (obviously you liked it, but what about it did you like)?

My favorite parts have to be all the philosophy and what the characters genuinely believe is the right thing to do. There is no wrong answer. Everything is colored grey. And the fact that the characters seemed "natural" if you will. The conversation with Wayne Haas is one of the many great examples of this.

CorvoSol

Really, I have no problem with it. Yes, the intentions behind it are obvious and this isn't about freedom for sexual expression with women, but anything I might say would come across as slut shaming and I sincerely hate slut shaming. I've just accepted that the original goal of a mostly non-sexualized, strong female protagonist went out the window and they are now bringing on the sexy to scavenge any sales there are to be had.

No but you see she's still the only strong female lead in the series. See the increased size of her boobs? That's so you know. Terra, Yuna and Ashe didn't have boobs like that, so they're disqualified.

My name is Motomu Toriyama and story telling is my strong point.

My favorite parts have to be all the philosophy and what the characters genuinely believe is the right thing to do. There is no wrong answer. Everything is colored grey. And the fact that the characters seemed "natural" if you will. The conversation with Wayne Haas is one of the many great examples of this.

Everything is orange, though.

No but you see she's still the only strong female lead in the series. See the increased size of her boobs? That's so you know. Terra, Yuna and Ashe didn't have boobs like that, so they're disqualified.

My name is Motomu Toriyama and story telling is my strong point.

The "strong" part could still be true, but must be proven as any goodwill I had went out the window with XIII-2.

EXCUSE YOU SIR

Gold is the correct color.

Deus-Ex-Gold-Filter.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Kay RPG fans I need your input. Should I bite the bullet and get all 3 Xenosaga games or do I watch the first 2 and just buy the 3rd one?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kay RPG fans I need your input. Should I bite the bullet and get all 3 Xenosaga games or do I watch the first 2 and just buy the 3rd one?
I don't like Xenosaga at all.

Watch 1 and 2. Play 3, I guess. They're all designed to be "watch cutscene" games with poorly-designed dungeons and slow battles in between anyway.

Note: My opinion is in the very very very very very small minority.

flyover

I love the whole Xenosaga series, but I'm a sucker for cutscene-heavy PS2 games -- and kitchen-sink Jungian Gnosticism. If that's not your thing, hard to say if I'd recommend them, based on the other aspects of the games. The music's good (when there is music). And they do have one of the great antagonists (
Albedo
) in gaming history. That character alone makes the second game worth a playthrough, at least for me.

Seda

X1/X2 are pretty mediocre, although I actually quite enjoyed some of the boss battles in X2 a fair amount. The battle system in that game was suited well for bosses in my opinion, but the slow nature of it dragged the rest of the game down.

X3 is a great game in comparison, with the best battle system and best dungeons.

And they do have one of the great antagonists (
Albedo
) in gaming history.

Most interesting character in the series, and the related URTV plotline with him is easily my favorite part of the narrative. I didn't care for the Shion/Kevin/Kos-Mos stuff at all. I also appreciated how X2's narrative aspect focused more on Rubedo/Albedo's history

flyover

X1/X2 are pretty mediocre, although I actually quite enjoyed some of the boss battles in X2 a fair amount. The battle system in that game was suited well for bosses in my opinion, but the slow nature of it dragged the rest of the game down.

This is a great point. Boss battles were fun. But the battle system made run-of-the-mill fights in some areas feel almost like a minor boss battle -- except that you had to fight those same "bosses" over and over again. It wasn't necessarily difficult (because you'd just execute the same strategies each time), but it was time-consuming. If they'd fixed that one thing (not that it's one small thing), the game might be much more fondly remembered.

Noi

Not to mention that on top of the battle system being terrible for normal encounters, damn near every single one in XS2 is unavoidable. There's an illusion of being able to run away from enemies while on the map, but you're almost always funneled into hallways that give you no leeway to run by enemies and they're all faster than you.
Encephalon dungeon that takes up the entirety of a disc, I'm looking at you.

XS2 is just really poorly designed overall. I could go on all day about the game having no in-game economy (since money was removed altogether from 1>2), but still have a sidequest that requires you to pay off a ridiculous amount of debt... by donating items until their completely arbitrary and made-up value (cause again, there's no money) pays the debt off.

Shadow780

You know Lightning has an effect on you unfortunately when you watch Sif in Thor and all I could think was add pink hair and she's Lightning.

CorvoSol

Please Light is flawless. But if you believe that, then you can say the same of most FF characters. Including King of the World and rejected 80s glam rock star Cecil. Haha

Cecil is a cartoon character. I do not compare him to looking like a real person. Lightning has Frankenstein skin and dead fish eyes.

It's not really the same thing here.

Cecil is a cartoon character. I do not compare him to looking like a real person. Lightning has Frankenstein skin and dead fish eyes.

It's not really the same thing here.

I did say most FF characters.Since SE says they avoid that uncanny valley and any character rendered in 3d is more stylized.

Besides how is Light more real than Cecil? Because his debut didn't have CG?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Please Light is flawless.

Flawlessly terrible.

--------------

Incoming Xenoblog

Ahem jokes aside, I am now at "that one boss" in my Xeno adventure that likes to resist any physical damage so how should I go about damaging Aihtirol?

Corvo should know what boss I'm talking about.

Bit of a tangent, but whatever:

I'm really getting frustrated with the lack of transparency with LR. Now, before you call bull honkey on me, let me explain what I mean.

SE has been really upfront about 3 aspects of the game: It's more open than XIII/XIII-2, the dress sphere/customization, and Lightning is the main protagonist. Great, but what about all of the other parts they were promising the first few months?

-Dungeons (have yet to see a single one, yet they are apparently strewn across the entire game)

-Massively increased environmental interaction (Assassin's Creed level with the way they were talking about it... not just the ability to climb a ladder like shown)

-"Special" missions (back in September, they talked about the "stealth" mission with multiple ways to complete it. The game was supposed to be full of these. Since September/October... nothing).

-Tons of side quests (again, they talk a good talk, but I have yet to see it)

I could go on. The stuff I just mentioned? That's the stuff that interested me back in September. That's the stuff they would have made me say "Day one" not "I'll get it for $20 down the line" cause I could give fuck all about the story at this point and playing dress up might amuse me for an hour or two at most. But they patently refuse to show or even talk about any of it.

Heropon

Incoming Xenoblog

Ahem jokes aside, I am now at "that one boss" in my Xeno adventure that likes to resist any physical damage so how should I go about damaging Aihtirol?

Corvo should know what boss I'm talking about.

Put Melia as the leader and blast that monster with lots of bolts. I don't remember too much about that boss but Riki and Sharla should be good choices to add to the party thanks to their support and aether arts. Just remember to stay away from the acid!

Top Bottom