• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Fuck that game and fuck the Lightning Saga for it. If I receive LR, sure, then I'll play, but just thinking about that ending puts me off of paying the discount 9 bucks for the game, let alone these poor people who are paying full price for this noise.

Story aside, the game part of this game doesn't have anything that appeals to you enough to get it?

CorvoSol

I heard that game was terrible.

Yeah I saw a guy on GameFAQs say it was like MonHun. Probably sucked anyway.

Story aside, the game part of this game doesn't have anything that appeals to you enough to get it?

No. Is there supposed to be? If I want to play dress up RPG I'll play Last Story. Then I can dress my party up and enjoy the plot. Or I could play Contact, costumes help and again, story isn't shit. Running through a desert? Not fun. Large open areas? I could play Xenoblade and at least in that game I'm not playing as the bride of Frankenstein's monster.

Is there actually anything about Lightning Returns that I, as a longtime fan of this franchise, should be excited for? I'm not trying to pull the "True Fan" nonsense here, I'm just saying the game sounds dumb and is associated with an IP I hate. Why would I be interested in it?

Meanwhile FF14 continues to try and convince me I want to play it, even though I don't have a computer that'd run it and I only have access to a PS3 5 months a year. Probably because FF14 looks good and interesting and has things that I've found interesting.

Unlike watching Toriyama awkwardly date-rape something I loved for the 4th time.

Whoa now, Corvo, settle down. Be a happy bear, like me!

aw-happybear1.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's okay Corvo. MonolithSoft can be the new RPG haven you need. And Bravely Default. I've given up on FF until further notice.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm playing FFVII (again).

I feel like I'm going to play only till the Midgar section (again). For some reason the game peaks only at Midgar, the rest becomes kinda meh.

I wish FFXVI will be something like 100% Midgar.
You're not the only one. First time I played through a few years ago I was actually disappointed the whole thing wasn't taking place in Midgar lol.

Don't worry about XVI. XV looks to be set in a big metropolis.

Need opinions on the Crystal Chronicle games for DS. Which one to get? Which one is more fun, well rounded, charming game with a good story?

Natetan

You're not the only one. First time I played through a few years ago I was actually disappointed the whole thing wasn't taking place in Midgar lol.

Don't worry about XVI. XV looks to be set in a big metropolis.

I feel the total opposite. I have a game saved right outside of Midgar after the long boring Kalm story about sephiroth. That's when the game finally begins.

CorvoSol

Whoa now, Corvo, settle down. Be a happy bear, like me!

aw-happybear1.jpg

I'm totally calm and fine. I'm just saying that neither the plot nor game of a product I am obviously uninterested in has anything to interest me.

Need opinions on the Crystal Chronicle games for DS. Which one to get? Which one is more fun, well rounded, charming game with a good story?

Echoes of Time is the one I played and it is pretty good.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I feel the total opposite. I have a game saved right outside of Midgar after the long boring Kalm story about sephiroth. That's when the game finally begins.
Amazing how different people can have stark contrasts to how they view a game. As well as Midgar, the Kalm flashback is also my favourite part of the game.

Don't misunderstand me though. I still love the other areas of the game. Each town feels like it has a identity of its own; they are more characterised than many actual characters in other games. And the whole mindblow of the World Map was insane.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno, a lot of the towns in FFVII still had few generic towns. The generic towns stopped at FFVIII onwards.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I dunno, a lot of the towns in FFVII still had few generic towns. The generic towns stopped at FFVIII onwards.
I've only played disc 1 of that, I'm still not fully versed in all FF games.

In particular my point is addressed to the towns where each character is from and the songs that go with them. And the theme park counts as a town too :p.

Also your username and avatar are beautiful, though I'm yet to finish that game also.

Between Toriyama constantly calling XIII an "epic trilogy...epic story... emotional journey...", Normura again comparing Lightning to Cloud, the "Inside the Square" video calling them all visionaries, the XIV description of Lightning being "a heroine of such high calibur" (the whole excerpt was just working their shaft over Lightning), the opening presentation, and the various interviews going on about how loved, great, epic, etc. Lightning is... this may be the first time I've seen company wide masturbation. Look, I'm the first one to defend a creator getting emotional over their work and being proud, but holy shit. You'd think they'd accomplished something on the level of the Sistine Chapel, Harry Potter, all of Stephen King books combined, and the Mona Lisa all rolled into one with how they go on and on about themselves in interviews.

CorvoSol

Between Toriyama constantly calling XIII an "epic trilogy...epic story... emotional journey...", Normura again comparing Lightning to Cloud, the "Inside the Square" video calling them all visionaries, the XIV description of Lightning being "a heroine of such high calibur" (the whole excerpt was just working their shaft over Lightning), the opening presentation, and the various interviews going on about how loved, great, epic, etc. Lightning is... this may be the first time I've seen company wide masturbation. Look, I'm the first one to defend a creator getting emotional over their work and being proud, but holy shit. You'd think they'd accomplished something on the level of the Sistine Chapel, Harry Potter, all of Stephen King books combined, and the Mona Lisa all rolled into one with how they go on and on about themselves in interviews.

Well that's how lunatics are, you know. Nomura's crazy, but he brought me TWEWY so he's forgiven. Toriyama shat out T3B, so he will never, ever be forgiven.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It's okay Corvo. MonolithSoft can be the new RPG haven you need. And Bravely Default. I've given up on FF until further notice.

Man, if playing an archaic jRPG like BD is considered "haven" I'm glad I stick with LR lol. I mean wait... I'm going to buy and enjoy BD, but that's fully retrogaming like playing FFIV. I play 'cause is nostalgic, but that's not what I want today from the genre anyway. LR has much more to offer than games escaped from '90s, even with starting with the immersion given by graphics o_O and an RPG is all about immersion.

Heropon

I disagree that Lightning Returns has much more to offer than Bravely Default at all starting with the graphic immersion you talk about. I simply find more engaging a game that understands the compromises of the hardware it's on and creates a gorgeous world with an intelligent use of its artstyle thanks to some neat techniques. I wouldn't call that archaic by any means.

CorvoSol

Man, if playing an archaic jRPG like BD is considered "haven" I'm glad I stick with LR lol. I mean wait... I'm going to buy and enjoy BD, but that's fully retrogaming like playing FFIV. I play 'cause is nostalgic, but that's not what I want today from the genre anyway. LR has much more to offer than games escaped from '90s, even with starting with the immersion given by graphics o_O and an RPG is all about immersion.

There's more than one party member in Bravely Default. There isn't in LR. I think which one has more to offer is pretty clear. One's also its own game while the other is a sequel to a sequel. It's like comparing It's a Wonderful Life to Step Up 7.

CorvoSol

every page bitching about XIII or Lightning. ya'll are so hurt.

Oh yes, provoking people for sharing their thoughts about stuff they don't like. You are original and of a higher quality than any other gathered here. What this thread had been missing before your advent, I can barely put into words.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Something positive about FFXIII - Blinded by Light is the best FF battle theme.

jaxword

May I get some help from someone who can read Japanese?

There's a rumor that Tifa's name is short for Tiffany.

It's mentioned in the FF wiki but it can't be proven.

Here's some pics from the wiki that supposedly prove it, but I can't read them. Does anyone see a single reference to this supposed Tifa's name being inspired by Tiffany?

http://i.imgur.com/2kZdp7U.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eEeC4HK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IfnRUlR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/P08Lrca.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RQcROc6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a5e7BvB.jpg

Zoe

May I get some help from someone who can read Japanese?

There's a rumor that Tifa's name is short for Tiffany.

It's mentioned in the FF wiki but it can't be proven.

Here's some pics from the wiki that supposedly prove it, but I can't read them. Does anyone see a single reference to this supposed Tifa's name being inspired by Tiffany?

http://i.imgur.com/2kZdp7U.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eEeC4HK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IfnRUlR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/P08Lrca.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RQcROc6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a5e7BvB.jpg
Bumping since it was at the end of the page. I skimmed but I didn't see any "Tiffany" on there.

Perfo

There's more than one party member in Bravely Default.

What does this even have to do with it? Demon's Souls got one character and BD can only dream to achieve that depth (so LR). Most of RPGs have a single player. I mean... I understand you have preferences but let's not just say a game is shit because one party memeber vs 2 vs 1000000000. Gameplay is tailored after each to make use of that.

Asd202

What does this even have to do with it? Demon's Souls got one character and BD can only dream to achieve that depth (so LR). Most of RPGs have a single player. I mean... I understand you have preferences but let's not just say a game is shit because one party memeber vs 2 vs 1000000000. Gameplay is tailored after each to make use of that.

Personally if the game uses turn based or ATB combat I vastly prefer to have control over all party members.

CorvoSol

You're arguing LR is the wave of JRPG futures. I reject 1 member party future for JRPGs. That would be my point on that. The rest of this is a series of silly comparisons. Demon Souls to Lightning Returns to Bravely Default.

The burden of actually proving that LR is anything other than a mutt with an identity crisis and has "more content" than BD is entirely on your shoulders, not mine.

That said, I'm totally cool with you being excited for LR and playing it. Future of JRPGs and visionary compared to Bravely Default, though? Please.

Perfo

For the future of the genre untill they follow the trend "action BS" I don't see how they could change it. I mean having control over just one party member that is. Two AIs a la KH can tag with you, that's expected for the future. But TOTAL control over everyone with an action BS is rather difficult to realize. As for I prefer: I usually like things that are well done, being that with 1p, 5, thousands, turn based or real time. Quality is the matter, not my preferences.

CorvoSol

Quality is the matter, not my preferences.

I could make a joke here, but I won't. Have you played Type-0 yet? They have an action battle system with multiple party members going on there and it works swimmingly. LR doesn't even give you a Donald and Goofy.

Noi

I could make a joke here, but I won't. Have you played Type-0 yet? They have an action battle system with multiple party members going on there and it works swimmingly. LR doesn't even give you a Donald and Goofy.

LR has better graphics so it doesn't matter, duh.

Perfo

I played the DEMO of Type-0, I was not really in love with the BS and in general I'm not a fan of switching-characters. I know Versus does this too and I'm sort of concerned because I never got invested in those type of BSs. I also prefer AIs when the action is real time because I can focus on just one instead of breaking the action, but middle-like solutions like the one of Dragon Age where you can actually PAUSE and then execute are not that bad and could be working in future.

As for LR is true you control only one character but with all the options and switching I'm not that sure it'll feel so different from a 3 party team. That's also what devs said few times in the interview. Again though, not my concern. I just hope this time BS is better balanced than XIII.2, that's all.

CorvoSol

I played the DEMO of Type-0, I was not really in love with the BS and in general I'm not a fan of switching-characters. I know Versus does this too and I'm sort of concerned because I never got invested in those type of BSs. I also prefer AIs when the action is real time because I can focus on just one instead of breaking the action, but middle-like solutions like the one of Dragon Age where you can actually PAUSE and then execute are not that bad and could be working in future.

As for LR is true you control only one character but with all the options and switching I'm not that sure it'll feel so different from a 3 party team. That's also what devs said few times in the interview. Again though, not my concern. I just hope this time BS is better balanced than XIII.2, that's all.

I thought you wanted to talk quality and not preferences :p
teasing, teasing

In honesty though, I think you'd enjoy Type-0, Perfo. It isn't by Toriyama, but the character designs are still by Nomura and the game is gorgeous. The RTS sections suck, but the action battle system is much more engaging than the active time battle system of yore, and there's a good balance between linear progression and open ended and customization of experience going on. Your party members are controlled by AI when you don't control them, and it isn't that hard to keep your footing as you go in battles.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I prefer Xenoblade, Type 0, Bravely Default, and even The Last Story over LR. And I don't need to play LR to know that. At least the aforementioned games had characters who knew who the hell they were. If LR's gameplay is great then kudos. But the story on that one cannot be salvaged.

--------------------

Tifa is generally short for Tiffany. The FF wikia has drawn it's own conclusions however:

"Tifa" may be a shortened version of the name Tiffany, meaning "manifestation of God" or, in Greek, "Three, The Trinity". "Tifa" may also be derived from the Tiferet, the sixth Sefira in the Tree of Life symbolizing love, beauty and self-sacrifice.

Perfo

I thought you wanted to talk quality and not preferences :p
teasing, teasing

In honesty though, I think you'd enjoy Type-0, Perfo. It isn't by Toriyama, but the character designs are still by Nomura and the game is gorgeous. The RTS sections suck, but the action battle system is much more engaging than the active time battle system of yore, and there's a good balance between linear progression and open ended and customization of experience going on. Your party members are controlled by AI when you don't control them, and it isn't that hard to keep your footing as you go in battles.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the DEMO – it's just that the battles didn't seem so polished at start, maybe too simple, just that. But all the rest it's glorious... art direction, character design, music... I would love to play it, seriously! I'm still one hoping for a future HD release on PS3/PS4 you know XD

CorvoSol

Don't get me wrong, I loved the DEMO – it's just that the battles didn't seem so polished at start, maybe too simple, just that. But all the rest it's glorious... art direction, character design, music... I would love to play it, seriously! I'm still one hoping for a future HD release on PS3/PS4 you know XD

Aren't we all? At this point I'm just going to keep holding out hope for the translation project's successful completion. I wonder how they're getting on.

Perfo

The feeling is that S-E is getting in love with HD collections following KH. Now that FFX is almost ready I'm sure they have more to announce together with KH 2.5. Perhaps XII x Type-0 or Crisis Core x Type-0 or anything else. It's just easy cash and low-cost dev. for them and if FFX sells well (300-500k) they might continue.

In the mean time my WAIFU is all I want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrO_bblSgns

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Aren't we all? At this point I'm just going to keep holding out hope for the translation project's successful completion. I wonder how they're getting on.

I'm not. But that's because I have no interest in a PS3 or PS4. Their system has no games I want and I refuse to buy a single game(XV) for any system.

---------------------

Going slowly due to College exams coming up but it's still going. I think each week we get around 1% of all the text completed. We are at around 33% completion.

CorvoSol

I'm not. But that's because I have no interest in a PS3 or PS4. Their system has no games I want and I refuse to buy a single game(XV) for any system.

---------------------

Going slowly due to College exams coming up but it's still going. I think each week we get around 1% of all the text completed. We are at around 33% completion.

Ah, I already have a PS3, so I'm not in that quandary. Thanks for the update.

jaxword

Not from what I saw.

You usually say "tiff" when shortening Tiffany, not "tifa". You're changing the pronunciation.

Right. So there's no proof for ANY interpretation of the name origin, Tiffany or religion, there.

Interesting all the people who claim "The ultimania" told them their conclusions.

CorvoSol

Right. So there's no proof for ANY interpretation of the name origin, Tiffany or religion, there.

Interesting all the people who claim "The ultimania" told them their conclusions.

This is what happens when your Ultimania has all the accessibility of Latin and Greek written Bibles during the Middle Ages.

Xux

I thought I remembered hearing about that name thing from a rumor about a journalist or someone misremembering Cloud, Barret, and Tifa as Claude, Garret, and Tiffany from a presentation or a demo or something. Can't remember any more details, though.

I'ma go back to wishing for Tactics 5 on the 3DS.

Perfo

Today I had my best day with ARR since launch...
I've been able to met my Waifu T.T

When she was walking away I kept on yelling "waifu please, take me with yaaaaa ~ " then she left, disappeared, leaving the whole of Eorzea to solitude.

What a blast.

Thanks Toriyama.

Top Bottom